Harddrive lifespan

Harddrive lifespan
Is it ok to start and stop a NAS harddrive several times a day?

I want to put on in my desktop, but I dont like leaving my desktop on all night so I shut it down. Right now I have a stoarage drive that spins down and only turns on when I try to open files on it,
Since most NAS systems are designed for being powered on 24/7, Im worried that constant spindown kills the nas drive.

>Is it ok to start and stop a NAS harddrive several times a day?
probably, according to the data sheet WD Reds are rated for 600k load/unload cycles

Ok thanks makes sense.
Is 1M hour mtfb good or garbage?

>tfw I have that 3TB Red
K-keep us posted.

I have WD Black from 2011 27k hours in use on and off twice a day.
Recently got 2m hours rated HGST NAS Deskstar 3tb and asked myself the same question. What it boils down to is lottery, but you lose if you win kind of thing.

I'm really scared for motherboard caps, I haven't changed it either since 2011, same hours clocked. How long do caps live?

was using an 08 board untill recently.
The caps of nonvital stuff kept failing.
Lost everything from usb smoothing to hdmi.
The board itself would still keep loading up so I just never replaced it, and I was too lazy to fix it. I couldnt find the hdmi problem so I just never fixed anything, the usb transfer speed would start out normal and then slow down to 1 mpbs. Transfering a movie over usb was a mightmare.

Im still using the original harddrive form that computer too, well I actually just vacated it so I can main an ssd now. It was a 2008 (probabl 06-07) wd blue, has 0 errors on smart, and has almost 4 years power on time.

I went though hell keeping that thing running, had to give up in the end.

bump

If your data is that important you should look into a RAID5+periodic backup system or something similar.
The RAID5 will allow one drive to fail and you'll still have access to your data, and the backups prevent you from accidentally deleting/corrupting data somehow.
Hard drives WILL die, it's just a matter of time. Prepare for it.

Thats what Im doing, and Its going to be raid 0. Ill check the status of both drives every so ofter or Im sure theres somethign to tell me when a drive is fuck, at which point Ill freak out and pull both drives and not use the good one until the new ones get here.

doesnt raid 5 require a whole fuckton of discs to make using it make any sense?
My tower only accomadates two 3.5" drives.

plan on using raid 1*

RAID 5 is three hard drives, but it's the best option if you can afford it. One drive repairs another, and the third allows you immediate access to data while the repair happens.

I have a synology nas that switches off all hard drives after 20 minutes inactivity. I think it's a default settings.

>Ill check the status of both drives every so ofter If you have things set up properly your server will display "You have new messages" when you log into a shell.

>Im sure theres somethign to tell me when a drive is fuck
There are

>which point Ill freak out and pull both drives and not use the good one until the new ones get here.
That's why you use RAID5. Any single drive can fail and you'll still have access to your data. All you need to do is plug in a new drive and tell mdadm to use the new drive in the array.

was meant for

Can I use a tiny drive as the third, like a 20gb 2.5"?

I dont know much about it, but my motherboard says it does raid, I was thinking of just letting it do the work. Is this standardized yet? Id check anyway, but I wouldnt be surprised if I got boot messages when the drive fails.

You never want to use your motherboard's RAID. If your motherboard dies then you'll lose all your data.
Learn to use Linux.

Don't fucking use raid 5, use at least raid 6. The rebuild time of an array with today's hard drives leaves more chance for another disk to die during rebuild.

It only takes a few days to rebuild a few TB. This kind of thing is exactly why you keep backups as well. You never know if the rebuild catastrophically fails and takes the entire array out. You don't know when you'll accidentally delete a directory tree before you've finished typing it. Backups are essential.

I do use linux.
If its raid 1, doesnt it just write a plain copy to each drive? Why wouldnt the data be intact

Because There are different on-board RAID firmwares and not all of them are compatible with each other. You don't get any performance benefit like you would with hardware RAID, but you get the problem of being locked into using one vendor's implementation of RAID. Just use software RAID.

And you don't know when you will copy/paste commands out of laziness and in that list of commands is sudo rm -rf / Foo/bar/*.so where there is no space between / and Foo on the webpage, but it pastes that way in the terminal, of course it is a list of commands and the deletion executes immediately. and end up deleting everything.

good point, so can raid 6 be used with 2x 4tb for storage and a smaller capacity drive to store the extra info on or how does it work?