VM General

What OSs do you run, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

behance.net/gallery/12984019/What-Space-Really-Looks-Like
virtualbox.org/ticket/12746
ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Trying out OSes is one of my hobbies. I have a Debian w/ Xfce, and a Debian w/ wmii in VirtualBox. Thought about trying to install Arch.

Currently trying to install Source Mage in a VM

Solus

Install it

>installing Solus
>ever

Kevin here
Delet this

FreeBSD on anything that isn't an appliance.

I have to use Windows because of work so I have a Debian VM for Linux shit that can't be run on Windows.

Just a OSX VM that I never use (wanted to build a hackintosh)

at least solus have nice wallpapers

Oh shit, that's nice.

Looks like Kurzgesagt's style.

Holy shit what a faggot
Is this where all this Kevin crap is coming from?

Found the source.

behance.net/gallery/12984019/What-Space-Really-Looks-Like

SweetOS

Funtoo as host/daily driver and win10 disconnected from the outside internet as much as possible for Photoshop.

Will you cucks ever move on from the same two webms?

Debian on the host. Windows 10 in a tightly controlled and debloated VM and has GPU passthrough to a GTX 660.

Absolutely fantastic setup if you ask me. Can do pretty much everything at this point. Removed Windows completely from bare-metal. It has a dedicated partition for the Steam library and if it absolutely needs files from my other ext4/btrfs formatted HDDs it can use samba to acquire them. Though it has been very little active lately, thanks to Pokemon and other games that don't require Windows per say (emulation).

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that 90% of what I need to do can be done from Linux, and the last 10% (games and Visual Studio if absolutely needed) can live separately for whenever I need it.

>Windows 10 in a tightly controlled and debloated VM and has GPU passthrough to a GTX 660.

No internet or this setup is worthless. Knowing Microsoft, they are probably going through the CPU and bypassing any lock down anyway.

Agreed. Should drop down to Windows 7 instead.

Ubuntu with XFC and Windows 10

Question: I've been trying different distros out in VirtualBox and they always run in software rendering mode making for very unpleasant experience. I have 3D rendering ticketed in the VM settings....wat do?

How did you get an OSX VM? Do you own a mac to get the installation media?

Move to kvm+qemu and Virt-manager.

Buut I'm trying them out in Windows.

like 75% of the time in Arch, rest of the time in Win10 for muh gaymen

lots of gaymen on linux these days tho so it ain't so bad

looks like this may have been a bug

virtualbox.org/ticket/12746

Use VMWare Player instead. It's free as well.

GPU passthrough with Windows 7 is not exactly feasible. While it is possible, Windows 7 has shady UEFI support which makes passing significantly harder to do.

I do it just fine, need to do GPU passthrough for CAD/CAM. Windows 7 is not a problem, have two graphics cards and give the VM complete control over one.

Can this be done if you have a dedicated card and an integrated GPU? Can I give my 970 to Windows 10 host and my intel integrated to my linux VM? How do m8?

Yes you can.

I did it, Sup Forums

God bless ye.

I'm thinking of going with Fedora. You liek?

Should be possible if you can run both cards and the BIOS doesn't have a fit.

It comes down to blacklisting and hiding the 970 from Linux and then just passing the physical hardware address through to the guest. I think I used IOMMU and some driver set to hide the discrete graphics from Linux and just attached the PCI-E address to the KVM/QEMU quest and it found it just fine. Just have to either have another monitor or flip between DVI/HDMI/HDMI2 or whatever. I have two monitors and use Synergy to have the keyboard and mouse move seamlessly between the two.

He probably used one of the many 'fixed' ISOs floating around. iAtkos used to be one of them. If there is a simple way of spinning up a OSX vm without having to DL third party ISOs that would be a treat.

is that sum plan9?

>Download non-legit iAtkos/iDeneb/Dinesh bullshit or find a normal Mac.
>Once inside, download the legit version of MacOS Sierra.
>Insert a USB to the VM
>Make the USB a legit installer
>Add Clover to said USB
>Turn VM off
>Install new VM with legit OS on USB
This usually goes for hackintoshes as well. If you don't have access to a Mac, then VM a shitty "distro" version of OS X to get the legit one.

Thanks man. That's nice of you. Giving it a try right now.

This sounds like good stuff, I always wanted to move to a different OS but I need them video games.

>tfw you still rock a 2500k with no vt-d

can i do this shit with an H81M-E34, i5 4460 and R9 380? I don't really want to spend a day doing shit for nothing

Your cpu supports vt-d but I don't believe your motherboard does famalia. Looks like it only supports vt-x

Shit I lied, looks like it does apparently. You should be alright.

goddammit I was about to kill myself there for a second

OS X is the host and atm only guest is win7 for CAD work

I know that feeling lad

A Windows 7 Enterprise Installation that runs perfectly for the last 5 years
and Arch that has a broken lock-screen since two days >mfw the memes were all real

Gentoo reporting in.

Dumb question: Do you have to Do some extra steps to you install programs on an os x vom? I downloaden a provided iso and linked the account was banned

Give us an update when you are done user

gotta be openIndiana

Okay I've had it, can one of you fucks explain this Kevin shit to me?!!

>just duck it
i tried searching and nothing comes up

Not using a VM but rather a Live disk of Trisquel.

It's a somewhat charming operating system. Not too difficult to use... But it lacks a task manager in the mini variety. Is there a command that serves the same function as task manager?

Kevin is the name we gave the fucker who used to shill Solus singlehandedly about two weeks ago. The name Kevin was chosen because it was a name clearly visible in a few of the screenshots they had posted of their beloved Solus.

After that, anyone who posted favorably of Solus or who suggested to install Solus would be referred to as a Kevinposter. Essentially speaking, a shitposter who really likes to post about Solus.

So, thereafter, a counter shilling campaign was started to fight the Kevinfags who were posting about Solus. This counter shilling campaign sought to troll all the Kevinposters by insinuating and claiming that Solus is a botnet.

It is a very new meme. Much older than "install gentoo" and it is very exclusive to Sup Forums.

is Solus good tho

Having a lot of fun with my new ubuntu VM.

Thx man

arch isn't hard to install. If you know bash commands you should know what you are typing in. Within a VM, it should be far easier as partitioning is far easier and you don't have to worry about messing up your real system.

It has potential, but has a long way to go. It is also worth mentioning that solus is intended to be used for normalfags to some extent, with its creator exclaiming that deeper customization and functionality should be hidden from the user in favor of stability and ease of use.
He famously said on Jupiter Broadcasting "The user should never see a terninal".
Nothing bad with that approach, but if you are an enthusiast, learn arch or gentoo, and free your mind.

ios

I can only second this, put in the effort and learn the install process by heart (its really fucking easy) and you will be rewarded with total freedom.

>not using windows xp gold

It's not the name we gave him. It's the name we gave him which we later confirmed because we doxed him.

Kevin Parnell, God of men

My host OS is Mac OS X 10.10.5, and I have two virtual machines. One I use to call fake technical support, and it is running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. The second is just my dev machine, running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Best Windows.

Desktop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Laptop - Windows 7 Professional 32bit
Acer Netbook (GF's) - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Video encoding workstation - Windows XP Professional Sp3
Classic Gaming PC - Windows XP Professional SP3
Server - Windows Home Server 2011

guy who made solus who puts shit in your computer when you install solus

>faggot !/moot/F.CA

Holy shit your name is autistic.

>Kevin is the name we gave the fucker who used to shill Solus singlehandedly about two weeks ago. The name Kevin was chosen because it was a name clearly visible in a few of the screenshots they had posted of their beloved Solus.
>
>After that, anyone who posted favorably of Solus or who suggested to install Solus would be referred to as a Kevinposter. Essentially speaking, a shitposter who really likes to post about Solus.
>
>So, thereafter, a counter shilling campaign was started to fight the Kevinfags who were posting about Solus. This counter shilling campaign sought to troll all the Kevinposters by insinuating and claiming that Solus is a botnet.
>
>It is a very new meme. Much older than "install gentoo" and it is very exclusive to Sup Forums.

I see

I have a Debian stable VM for buying shit online and banking. I also have a Lubuntu 14.04 VM for acestream

Do I do it lads? Pros/cons?

Can I do this with an i5 4670k / 760

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

If I run an android vm and made a twitter account would I need to sign up with a cell #?

How much ssd space do I need for xubuntu with win7 on VM?

Not sure, but if you do there is always Google Voice

ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

>Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡ No
Sorry, but it doesn't support VT-d, so you can't. Most popular consumer K parts from generation Haswell and lower does not have VT-d (2600K, 3570K, 3770K...), even the i7s. All Skylake CPUs (even K parts) have VT-d. All Devil's Canyon CPUs have it, even the K parts. The 2011-socket K also do, though they are enthusiast CPUs. And all non-K CPUs have it.

Why doesn't Haswell and lower K-part consumer-grade CPUs have it? Beats me. I guess Intel jewed out and thought no consumer would need it. If you're planning on buying a new one, check Intel's ARK page and see whether or not it supports it.