Which specs for Memebook Pro are most important?

Seriously considering buying a Memebook Pro to do programming, including some like deep learning memeshit.

I don't have $3,000 so trying to focus on trade offs.

Would you rather have:

>CPU,
2.6 GHZ Quad Core,
2.7 or

>GPU,
Radeon 450 2 GB Memory
Radeon 455
Radeon 460 4GB Memory

>Storage
256 GB
512GB

I can't do spec'd out everything. I am looking for a computer that is somewhat future proof here.

I'm almost thing 2.9, 460 and 256. Then buy 1 TB external later.

Love to hear your thoughts

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues/
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are you retarded or is this bait ?

Serious pal.

Externals are a meme. If you can't get a specd out MBP, get a specd out Thinkpad instead

The CPU, ram, and ssd. But don't buy a memebook lol. Just get a chinkpad and toss Linux on it.

>2.6ghz, 2.7, 2.9
they're charging you thousands of dollars to pretty much do a 300mhz overclock. Get the 2.6ghz the "higher end ones" are barely different

>GPU
are you gaming? No?
oh yea its a mac book who fucking cares the GPU isn't good. Don't give the excuse you'll be "photo editting" or "video editting" on a fucking macbook with laptop parts you're buying the wrong computer for the wrong purpose. The lowest GPU is fine for ANYTHING you'll be doing.

>storage
more storage the better, this is something that ACTUALLY counts for you because once you buy it you're stuck with it forever.

>buy a 1tb external later
don't compensate for what the laptop already can't do. having more storage now is better than gimping yourself then carrying around compensation because you bought a laptop that was insufficient already.

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues/

youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o

>dual-core processor (not even kaby lake)
>no 10-bit HEVC and VP9 HW decoding
>have to have a bunch of dongles at all times
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>keyboard shallower than a hollywood slut
>keyboard louder than a sheboon nigress
>proprietary SSD
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>tamper tape on battery screws

APPLEL IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

MACFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>Seriously considering buying a Memebook Pro to do programming, including some like deep learning memeshit.
Are you sure you know what you want? Deep learning, tensor, etc, are done on Linux with Nvidia graphics. Not on Mac with CPU. Just because you can use tensorflow, doesn't mean you get the whole package.
>I don't have $3,000 so trying to focus on trade offs.
Strange idea to spend all your savings on a laptop in the first place..

About the options. Can you not do basic trade-offs? If you need CPU, you choose CPU. If you need storage, then you choose storage. If you want to do.. wait, what are you planning on doing with a discrete GPU again?

Excellent reply thank you user. If I do the 2.6 Quadcore, 450, and 512 GB should that future proof me for at least 3 years?

You didn't mention anything about future proofing. Its a laptop, and computers in general are quickly out paced by newer better technology.

It sounds like you don't have the funds for a MBP but you're looking for excuses to buy one anyway. I wouldn't get one as its simply not worth the investment for what ever you'll be doing because what ever you ARE doing can be done on any other computer.

>should that future proof me for at least 3 years?
Of course not. It's already outdated. How can it be future proof?

Kaby Lakes still don't have iris gpu options, so they were forced to use Skylake instread.

Hey kid, just go buy an old 2011 to 2012 macbook pro where you can upgrade ram, switch cpu, upgrade hdd and remove the battery

Just get a surface book

The most intensive things I'm doing is training neural nets on it. Uploading tens of thousands of training sets and testing tens of thousands of testing sets.

I also do a lot of development work in java and light programming in python to do ML shit.

I want a memebook because of the aesthetics and don't plan to buy another one within the next few years.

I could do
16GB
512 GB

that's about max I could afford

I also program a lot in java/python.

ok will look into this thanks

>The most intensive things I'm doing is training neural nets on it. Uploading tens of thousands of training sets and testing tens of thousands of testing sets.
Are you sure you're doing exactly that? You're not going to train much of anything but that flappybird demo on it. And uploading? So using AWS? Then what do you need the GPU for?

It all sounds like a bad idea for you, since you cannot really afford it. But that configuration looks okay.

>I want a memebook because of the aesthetics and don't plan to buy another one within the next few years.
So it sounds like
>you don't have a lot of money
>want a MBP for some reason
>have needs that can be done by any computer
>admit you want a MBP for aesthetics
>apparently programing java and python is magically better on a MBP for some reason?
>justifying this purchase purely on aesthetics, its like buying a car because of the color or body trim when you have needs that can be fufilled by a cheaper option which is what you're looking for.

I think you're just buying into a fad. You'll regret the purchase because you'll have no money left over and you'll develop post purchase rationalization about it when really any 900 dollar laptop would be sufficient for your needs (and probably have more functionality with better ports, OS, etc)

im not using AWS and you're right its simple shit right now. Im doing a lot of projects to gain exposure to various ML techniques. I study theory then implement the shit in a projects to understand what's going on.

It's nothing grand scale level, it's more graduate school preparation and getting my hands dirty kind of things.

Thanks for your feedback

Ok cool. I'll look at lower end options. I can get an XPS 13 for ~$1060 with taxes/student discounts.

Read a lot of shit that scared me about coil whine etc. What do you recommend?

Coil whine? on a laptop? Coil whine is caused by high voltage inducing a frequency that you can hear about a coil like passing one of those electrical farms and all you hear is the buzzing of electricity. You can disable certain things like turbo mode on the processor if thats the issue. I also have an XPS13 which is why I'm questioning it because I've never heard coil whine like my GTX970 has coil whine in my desktop

ok cool, how do you like the keyboard? is it good for long term programming?

The keyboard is small for my hands but I can't complain because I have huge hands. The keyboard itself is clicky and its somewhat tactile so its definitely usable if you're typing a lot. Obviously its not going to be as comfy as a larger keyboard would like on the XPS15 but it works none the less.

Someone mentioned it before, you can try to find an older MBP that has the bells and whistles without the bells and whistles price and do good. the 2012-2015 MBP's are pretty good IMO and have good keyboards

Okay great, thanks for the responses. I'm honestly glad you gave such high quality replies and earnestly trying to help me instead of troll the shit out me for wanting a memebook.

I'll look into the older macs. Thanks man

These are the type of people who buy apple products.

If you want to pretend to be unique in a sea of conformity the the only "spec" to consider is the logo.

If you're doing machine learning then opt for a more powerful GPU and more storage. And install Linux for actually computing crap. MacOS, as an OS, is incapable of taking full advantage of the hardware it's running on. For compiling and disk access, which you'll be doing a lot of, macOS gets curb stomped. Phoronix posted some benchmarks on it a while back. Same hardware, same software, only difference was the OS.