Guys, macOS is now open source!

Guys, macOS is now open source!
opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-1012.html

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/Architecture/Architecture.html
opensource.apple.com/source/gnudiff/gnudiff-21/
opensource.apple.com/source/gnutar/gnutar-454/
opensource.apple.com/source/gnuserv/gnuserv-7/
opensource.apple.com/source/gpatch/gpatch-3/
opensource.apple.com/source/emacs/emacs-95/
opensource.apple.com/source/bc/bc-21/bc/
opensource.apple.com/source/grep/grep-28/grep/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

...ok?

is this the new desktop thread dot bitmap

>desktop thread dot bitmap
no
enjoy your free (You)

The thing is no one really wanted the source of this piece of shit. They simply wanted to annoy freetards.

I don't get this. Does it mean someone can just decide to change shit around as he pleases

Because there's some shit here I would want to have

You mean parts that were based on open source to begin with?

Do you think this is new? Because it isn't.

Yes

Interface isn't. You can prove me wrong by showing me how to compile Aqua.

I just want to be able to disable vsync

From their site:
>Major components of Mac OS X, including the UNIX core, are made available under Apple’s Open Source license
>Major components

It's not the entire OS. Look at the list of files. It's mostly the parts of the OS which were taken from existing open source projects. It's like if you download GNU/Linux, change the wallpaper then say "hey, look guys! I made this really cool OS and I open sourced it!"

Can I install it on my thinkpad?

OS X is UNIX or Linux? How can I tell the difference?

No, Finder is not open source. Pretty much everything else is, though.

By not pretending to be an idiot to get attention.

Finder is unfortunately a huge part though. If you don't include it, then enjoy your server OS.

BSD

>Finder is unfortunately a huge part though.
It's just the DE.

If you don't know the answer just shut the fuck up faggot.

dubs of truth I guess, can't disagree with this

wtf i love apple now

wincucks BTFO!

Mac OS confirmed for being the Justin Beiber Linux of proprietary software!

>just the DE
How is that not the biggest part?

Fine, faggot, Linux and OS X are both nix except Linux is UNIX-like while OS X comes from NEXT which comes from UNIX. OS X's kernel is the BSD kernel with some patches. The coreutils are also BSD with zero work done by Apple, which explains why they suck. OS X is a direct descendant from UNIX and macfags usually take this as some badge of honor.

>OS X's kernel is the BSD kernel with some patches
Wrong.
>which explains why they suck
No, it doesn't. Give examples.

Does this mean they'll continue puredarwin

I agree the DE is the biggest part.

I wish for a similar DE on linux. One that didn't stutter and had all this fancy shit like putting 2 applications on full screen side by side without doing much.

Or this thing where "shit I can't do X, I'll have to make a program myself" but it's more likely that it already exists and it's paid. I mean shit, it's paid but I don't have to figure shit out.

>It's like if you download GNU/Linux, change the wallpaper then say "hey, look guys! I made this really cool OS and I open sourced it!"
Why do people on Sup Forums pretend to act like they have any clue what they're talking about?
Do you believe OS X is BSD too?

>The coreutils are also BSD with zero work done by Apple
Wrong. Many coreutils are GNU, many are FreeBSD. A few are Apple exclusive such as Apple's "open".

Besides bash what is GNU?

>Wrong.
developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/Architecture/Architecture.html
>The OS X kernel environment includes the Mach kernel, BSD, the I/O Kit, file systems, and networking components.

>No, it doesn't. Give examples.
sed doesn't have the PHP regex standard, which is the most featureful. Also I found out it's impossible to forcefully unmount a frozen disk, there's no lazy unmount flag. I could compile you a list, these are the most recent I've observed.

>I wish for a similar DE on linux. One that didn't stutter
So any Linux DE?
>had all this fancy shit like putting 2 applications on full screen side by side without doing much.
So, any Linux DE? Pic related, did it right now. It's easier in Gnome actually because full-screen apps don't take up an entire desktop like in macOS and you can move from full-size to split with a keypress, in macOS you have to first un-full-size and then split. KDE has it even better, you can have divide the halves to have a tmux-like division.

I don't know when you tried Linux, but things are much better now.

and there is still no clear cut way to hackintosh no one explains what a kext is or how the fuck you install one into the .DMG file or how to do it without owning a mac already

>The OS X kernel environment includes the Mach kernel, BSD, the I/O Kit, file systems, and networking components.
So you think having parts of BSD means 'it's the BSD kernel'?
>sed doesn't have the PHP regex standard, which is the most featureful. Also I found out it's impossible to forcefully unmount a frozen disk, there's no lazy unmount flag.
I can virtually guarantee your failures here are due to you thinking these are GNU programs when they are not.

Former Gentoo user of 3 years who has been using MacOS since 2014 here.
Linux still sucks compared to Mac when it comes to a smooth UX.

>smooth UX
Useless bloat.

Oh look, a suckless retard who thinks minimalism means removing everything potentially useful just because you can. Fuck off idiot.

no really how do i hackintosh with a windows install

VM

>VM

so there is no way to do it from windows? at all?

>So any Linux DE?
No, I mean most don't stutter. Gnome 3.22 did. Some of the animations would skip frames at random times. That gives me the impression that my computer ain't fast enough for it, and I have a 280x so I don't think I should generally have trouble with it. And KDE is probably closest to what I would want, but I get a lot of tearing and fixing involves really slow animations as well. Even worse than Gnome 3. Wish I could fix that but I spent too much time on it.

>because full-screen apps don't take up an entire desktop like in macOS

I'd rather have both the option to take up the entire desktop or not

Gnome is utter shit, every DE on Linux is. Budgie is our last hope.

No, you need an OS X install to do a few things.

>So you think having parts of BSD means 'it's the BSD kernel'?
Fair enough, it's a mix and match of different kernel modules.
>I can virtually guarantee your failures here are due to you thinking these are GNU programs when they are not.
Alright, can you show me how to use the php regex standard in sed and how to lazy unmount a disk?

I use both and I very much disagree with your opinion. Gnome has a much more natural interface to me.
For example, you can't use Spotlight when you're in exploded view or in that App display thing (Dashboard?). The delete button on the Apple keyboard doesn't delete files in Finder - which by the way still can't properly merge 2 folders, it can only replace any old duplicate with the the newest version.

I think the problem are the AMD Linux drivers.
>I'd rather have both the option to take up the entire desktop or not
You can in Linux. Full-size a window and don't add anything else on it if you don't want to.

Don't you miss recompiling software every week?!

opensource.apple.com/source/gnudiff/gnudiff-21/
opensource.apple.com/source/gnutar/gnutar-454/
opensource.apple.com/source/gnuserv/gnuserv-7/
opensource.apple.com/source/gpatch/gpatch-3/
opensource.apple.com/source/emacs/emacs-95/
opensource.apple.com/source/bc/bc-21/bc/

almost everything else seems to be netbsd/openbsd/freebsd

>oh just hackintosh if you dont want to buy mac hardware
>oh BTW you NEED mac hardware in order to hackintosh

Kexts are drivers and you use a premade vm image to make the install usb

But you don't. You just use a virtual machine.

The thing is, if you want to grab OSX for free, you have to get it directly through the app store. In order to use that app store, you need OSX.

older versions also seem to use gnugrep

opensource.apple.com/source/grep/grep-28/grep/

everytime i have tried to boot a mac VM it never even started booting cant you just tell me exactly how

Find an ISO of macOS and a bootloader. You don't need a VM or mac hardware.

You need to acquire a vmware image with it installed already from some public tracker. Then grab from the same place vmware workstation pro and play around with it to make it work. You have to actually patch vmware to make OSX work on it.

>For example, you can't use Spotlight when you're in exploded view or in that App display thing (Dashboard?).
Gnome's and Apple's exploded views are very different. Gnome's is very finicky and is intended more to be a central hub for your entire computer, from launching applications, to viewing notifications to managing your desktops. Mission Control is strictly desktop and window management. It wouldn't make to have things popping up over that.

>The delete button on the Apple keyboard doesn't delete files in Finder
You can press Cmd+Delete (aka Ctrl+Backspace). You can also go into the default hotkey manager and make Backspace delete files very easily.

>which by the way still can't properly merge 2 folders, it can only replace any old duplicate with the the newest version.
Pic related. Hold down Option while dragging the folder. A bit silly it's not the default behavior.

It's easier to do it without the VM. Just find a raw image and burn it to a flash drive in your current OS.

>which by the way still can't properly merge 2 folders, it can only replace any old duplicate with the the newest version.
Oh look it's this moron again.

I've actually replicated this and this only happens when you have two IDENTICAL directories. Make any change in one of them and it will merge.

So is the entire os actually open source now? Obviously not including apps, but just the os unto itself.

>Gnome's is very finicky
How? Works fine for me.

>You can press Cmd+Delete (aka Ctrl+Backspace)
I know Cmd+Backspace works, but I'm almost entirely sure Cmd+Del did not delete files in Finder.

>Pic related. Hold down Option while dragging the folder. A bit silly it's not the default behavior.
I know about that, but it's my exact complaint: Imagine you want to merge the folder, adding any new files, but for existing files in the old folder you want to pick which to replace and which to keep. Basically every time it runs into a conflict, it prompts you for a choice, like Nautilus does. Finder won't let you do that, just a basic full-on merge where every conflict is resolved by keeping the newer version.

Wow you're very angry.
>Make any change in one of them and it will merge.
Objectively inferior, and as explained above the merge is very primitive.

>Objectively inferior, and as explained above the merge is very primitive.
Sounds like the problem is it doesn't cater to you.

That's the basis of every complaint that has ever been made.

>gets told
>no counter-points
>"hurr it's your own fault for wanting to do things"

>How? Works fine for me.
I remember having tons of issue with the explosion view being stuttery and laggy. I'd trigger the view and it'd show up a second later if I remember right. I also had other issues, but I've forgotten them.

>I know Cmd+Backspace works, but I'm almost entirely sure Cmd+Del did not delete files in Finder.
The keys are almost always right next to each other. But again you can just change it anyway.

>Imagine you want to merge the folder, adding any new files, but for existing files in the old folder you want to pick which to replace and which to keep.
I can't think of that kind of situation, but I do agree it's silly that finder doesn't do like you said.

>t I'm almost entirely sure Cmd+Del did not delete files in Finder.
So???

>Cmd+Del deletes files
>No, it doesn't
>Ok, so what???
Are you retarded or something?

Nigga you're the retard. You complained you couldn't delete files in Finder with the delete key, but you can do it just fine with command + backspace, so what is the problem?

can i compile darwin and run finder there?

>
>I agree the DE is the biggest part.
>I wish for a similar DE on linux. One that didn't stutter and had all this fancy shit like putting 2 applications on full screen side by side without doing much.

>Putting 2 applications
>Side by side
>Doing much

Confirmed for never using linux as a tiling wm is the obvious answer.

No.

then literally whats the point

Literally what would be the point of running Finder on Darwin and not just getting Mac OS X?

No, the kernel (minus the device drivers) and 80% of the command line utilities are open source. Everything else is closed. The Finder is just a very small part of it.

>makes a claim
>claim is wrong
>instead of admitting his error like a grown man, throws a tantrum
My complaint was never that you can't delete files in Finder, it was that the key that literally has "Delete" written on it does not delete files. I know I can remap it, but it's just stupid that it doesn't do that by default.
I was then told Cmd+Del did this. This isn't true, I've tried it. So the other person was wrong, and instead of just saying "oh yeah nevermind" they (you) apparently got very very angry at strangers on the internet.

Well yes, but using a tiling wm just because you want 2 screens side-by-side is pretty overkill.

You're just retarded. I don't know why every dipshit on this website thinks that every response to them is by the same person.

The key is called forward delete because it deletes characters ahead of the cursor. If you hadn't noticed the "backspace" key also says delete. So CMD + Delete DOES delete files.

If its open source does that mean customization is back yet?

What can't you customize?

Use a mixed WM, it can do that and the more "normal" stuff

Technically yes

but you'd need to do some hackintosh type stuff too like fake some tpm stuff

Apple got rid of themeing and customization after Yosemite

>now

Wasn't it always?

What? That's bullshit. Why are they going backwards?

Is this going to affect Hackintoshing?

yes it makes hackintosh 22% even more gay

>Is this going to affect taking cock up my ass?

They've been going backwards since Jobs died, to be fair

12 year old gaymer spotted

Yes
It won't
Truth, I underestimated that guy's importance.

Ctrl+F -> cocoa
0 out of 0
Into the trash.

Actually, this is why Hackintoshs are a thing.

The OS X kernel is Open Source, thus Apple can't really lock it down to their hardware

it's literally descended directly from 4.3/4.4BSD but based on the Mach kernel

iTODDLER POORFAGS BTFO

>I don't know why every dipshit on this website thinks that every response to them is by the same person.
>Oh look it's this moron again.
KEK

Please show me an Apple keyboard where the backspace says delete!

What is Darwin OS?

A toddler OS.

>A toddler OS.
If that's what you want to call FreeBSD.
Remember, both Windows and Linux are flawed copies.

so i have this working in a VM now how do i open a terminal?

Open it from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

or

open Spotlight (Cmd-Space or the little magnifying glass in the menubar) and type Terminal

Also, just a warning in advance, macOS doesn't like running in VMs because it has no graphics acceleration unless you do graphics passthrough with a compatible card

Not really.

Its mostly because they think their users are too retarded to need customization

meanwhile MS allows Pajeets to make all the shitty Alienware skins they want

well i plan to do multi beast and hackintosh but i was told i needed to use this in order to do that

Yes since the mod deleted mine
FUCK YOU MODS

Getting rid of theming wasn't intentional. Themes never were supported in OS X/macOS – it's always been a hack. Said hack used to be easy since all the theme elements were simple raster graphics in a big resource file, but the past few versions have been moving towards a full-vector UI for better resolution independence.

You can still theme macOS but now it's more difficult since the UI is made of up vector "recipes" instead of raster graphics. You also need to disable System Integrity Protection temporarily to make modifications to system files.

Yeah VMs are fine for kickstarting the hackintosh process