/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/MENndgSD
amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mio is the best k-on, fite me

>I've listened to the X2, Hd800, 600, 650 and so on. No audeze. Think the X2s are the best for general purpose music listening (not analyzing) but I wanted another point of view.

repostan from last thread, so what do you think is better, hd600 vs X2? and Why?

what genres of music do you generally listen to most

Hey, guys. I'm planning on getting some new full-sized closed headphones soon to replace my ATH-M50's. I have a budget of maximum $500. I have a Schiit Fulla that I use as a Amp/DAC and I mostly use the headphones for my computer. They can be the same level of comfort or greater than the M50's. I generally prefer a neutral, accurate sound, but I can be hard-sold on V-shaped signatures. I'm considering the Shure SRH1540's, but I'd like to know if there are better options.

I've gotten an approval for the Shures last thread, but I'd like some other takeaways as well. If you own these headphones, I'd love to hear your personal opinion on them.

Classic rock mostly

X2
It has bass and doesn't snap in half.

I much prefer the HD 600 response and I like how well they stay on my head because of the clamp. I'll be using EQ on all headphones so the stock response isn't that much of an issue but the more linear the better and this is where HD 600 has the edge. I also own a headphone amplifier already so I'll easily be able to drive them to comfortable listening volumes and above.

I object to the notion that you need different kind of headphones for different musical genres or mixing/mastering/monitoring vs listening.

I'd go with the x2 unless its really important to you that you hear all the instruments clearly uncolored

the x2 also happens to be the only one of those I've listened to so take it with a grain of salt

How do I figure out what settings in APO + Peace is best for me? I don't really know a lot about it.

I listen to classical, metal, weaboo shit, jazz, just about everything that tickles my fancy since listing a bunch of genres isn't really the best thing. I've been using the SR 60i for about 6 years now, but I'd like to spend a lot mroe for better cans. My budget is $300 and I've been eying the HD 600 for $260 on amazon. Should I got for it?

Mio a shit. Mugi is best.

>Budget
200 euro
>Location
EU
>Source
Y50 lenovo, samsung s6
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
God tier
>Sound signature
Bassy
>Past headphones
None

I dont have dac/amp setup.
Thank youu~~

All keions are the best, but Ritsu is bestest keion.

uhhh sorry ritsu is actually the least good

What APO settings do I use for my Brainwavz HM5 headphones?

ARE MINE GOOD

Nah fâm, I'd rather get Superlux HD 681's of you can spend more.

I've been looking for a set of closed cans as well and I'm stuck between the Shure SRH1540 and the Oppo PM-3.

Any opinion on if the Shure is worth the extra $100?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but as a previous owner of X2 I can tell you that it has some problems: sub-bass is weak, midbass is exaggerated, mids are recessed, treble is dark.
If midbass means everything to you, then yes, you won't find anything better than X2.

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm, if you mean to use them at home.

What are your thoughts on the Philips Fidelio X2?
I got these for about 115$ yesterday due to "black week", I was lucky enough to pick up the last pair.

They're great for the price you got them.

Ordered the Marshall Mid Bluetooth, did I fuck up ?

Okay so, I'm trying to decide what headphones to buy. My budget is 40$ USD or under. I've narrowed my options down to two Headphones, the Koss PortaPro's, or Panasonic's Retro Over-the-Ear Stereo Monitor Headphones RP-HTX7-A1. What would you guys/gals reccomend between the two? Or should I choose something else? Comfort over long listening periods and decent sound would be nice, I also wear glasses so the headphones shouldn't obstruct them too much. I'll be using the headphones for gaming and casual listening. Also, NO EAR BUDS!

Porta Pro

> (You)
>Porta Pro
Okay so why should I buy these, what makes these worth buying? Are they comfy?

PM3 is meant to be more portable oriented than 1540. Much smaller, for better and worse. Smaller pad openings and the like, less than most ears.
The 1540 is more bassy. You can replace pads easily on the Shure, whereas the PM3 pads were not designed to be user serviced.

Probably a little easier to find the PM3 for a discount, take advantage of Oppo's official refurb PM3.

You should make your own. The purpose of EQAPO is flexibility, use sine sweeps, play around with the sliders and listen to a few things to determine if you like the result.

I have a set of Porta pros, the sound is pretty good for the price. my one complaint is the sliding head band can get hair tangled in if your hair is long. I also recommend the sennheiser px100.

I'm wanting to get my first high quality headphones. My friend has recommended Sennheiser Momentum, but I was wondering if there were any better value/quality choices.

>Budget
£200
>Location
UK
>Source
Laptop, I don't have an amp.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Not too picky, both have benefits which would be useful for me. Will mostly be watching films and listening to music, though I may need to be alert sometimes.
>Comfort level
High, will be wearing them for hours.

>You should make your own. The purpose of EQAPO is flexibility, use sine sweeps, play around with the sliders and listen to a few things to determine if you like the result.
Is there any sliders I should never touch?
If you don't mind me asking, could I see yours? To see how your sliders look.

I found a set of Beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm for 224$ Canadian. How good of a price is this? Are there any websites out there that track prices?

Any good black friday sales for headphones?

amazon has some decent deals on HD 650 and HD 600. not sure if they are the lowest, haven't paid much attention

It depends on your use. Momentums are only worth it if you are using them outdoors as in walking n shit.

Comfort on them is mediocre, and have a decent clamp, which you dont want for home use.

What sound signature do you want?

Holy fuck that's a great deal.
If you enjoy solid heavy low end, then they're great headphones.

Neither. Portapros are good, but they're designed for public use. They won't give you the comfort you want.

A better option is Superlux 662 EVO
Large velour pads included, and actually full size.
Clamp is a bit much but stretching them over a pillow/book/box fixes it.

>Budget
$100
>Location
US
>Source
Mainly PC. I might use them on my phone around the house, but the majority of the time they won't leave my desk
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed, not terribly concerned with isolation
>Comfort level
Comfy, can deal with breaking them in if it pays off
>Sound signature
A little bass never hurt anybody
>Past headphones
None

Main use will be games and rock with a handful of other genres

If you listened to them and you liked X2 then get them, everyone's listening preferences vary.

I am not huge fan of bass and I rather dislike when bass is on the frontline so I went with HD600. X2 had too much bass for me and everywhere, build quality is fantastic tho.

I would really appreciate some advice on a new headphone purchase. They will mostly be used for ASMR (positional, "3D" audio). Also for a bit of ambient music, general movie watching, and gaming. My considerations are:

ATH-M50x
ATH-AD700X
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 Ohm if my amp can push it, else 80 Ohm)

>Budget
Preferably Location
USA

>Source
PC going to Rolls HA43 Pro amp

>Type of headphone
Over the ear

>Open or closed
No preference

>Comfort level
Must be comfortable for multi-hour wear

>Sound signature
Wide soundstage, crisp audio

>Past headphones
AKG Q701 (Soundstage was great, but the sound was a bit "dull" and the headband was horribly uncomfortable.)

Got an ad for a set of Tascam TH-200X headphones. Anybody know if it's a good set or gutter garbage? Mainly going to be used for listening and some audio programs.

if you choose open, you might never use them outside, their weakness is that they have 0 isolation so you can even hear the wind. Anyway
since you want to chill (not critical listening)

go for the mdr 1a for one closed can or go 2 pairs the HD558 (or HD598SE if it is on sale) and the V6/7506, all the open cans on this price range that i know need and amp

I'm not too picky since I don't know too much about it. If it helps, I'll be watching films and listening to music like vaporwave, chillhop, instrumental hip hop, electronica, etc.

I think HD600 are well suited for all types of music, there are some genres that other cans are more suited for like beyerdynamic being more suited for metal but HD600 eat it all.

However, being neutral they sound laid back and bass is a bit rolled off. They have details and clarity and they have some bass, but they are not as 'crisp' and 'sharp' sounding like beyerdynamic or akg. I am bringing it up since your past headphones described as more sharp sounding ones. HD600 are good and I don't think you will be disappointed in them if you don't have some particular genre preferences but check out beyerdynamic and maybe akg. Also, idk what you have as an output but HD600 depending on your audio might need an amp, phones don't drive them but my bare mac book can drive them to acceptable levels, altho they are better off with amp. Akg need amp most of the 3 and are hardest to drive.

>ATH-M50x

Dark niggerbass

ATH-AD700X

bright HP the AD900X is better

>Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Dont waste your money

>Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 Ohm if my amp can push it, else 80 Ohm)

it is on sale, these might be ok, but buy the amp

I think that people who gets Shits should get X2 instead. Very solid build and good bass, for 100$ you did reall good.

Portapros.

price on hd 598 Cs went up $20 on amazon. lmao at everyone waiting for the deal that will never come

>Is there any sliders I should never touch?
Slider? Not particularly. There are some filters you should steer away from for general purpose EQ: pass filters (high, low, bandpass) and notch filters.
Your main filters will be the (parametric) peaking filters and occasionally the shelf filters.

One thing you should do is reduce the preamp gain to counter the largest gain you make with your filter. The goal here is to avoid digital clipping.
Can you specify anything that is unclear?

>To see how your sliders look
An example. The goal with this (arbitrary) configuration is to reduce bass.

go ahead, you might want an DAC/amp if you willing to save for later, or buy a cheap SMSL sAp VI if you have the extra 10 usd, im using them without an amp and come from the HD598SE The sound is similar but better, i bought a DAC/Amp but is not coming until Dec.

>If you don't mind me asking, could I see yours? To see how your sliders look.
Not him but here's mine for reference, pretty autistic. Made with sine sweeps and repeated adjustments after listening. I could simplify this to probably around half the amount of filters while achieving very close results to this but I haven't bothered. Kept it how I made it. Here's the config as a text file.

pastebin.com/MENndgSD

Are the HD 598C's any good?

Sennheiser HD 598Cs or Audio-Technica ATH-M40x for the same money?

Trying to find reviews that aren't from retards that "burn in" their headphones and compare them like wine. If they're anywhere near the open backed ones overall they're a steal at £90 so I ordered 2 with the proviso that I'll cancel if the 598 comes on sale during the day.

Seconding this.
Wanting to upgrade from my Skullcandy (yeah yeah, I know) buds. But I am completely lost when it comes to new headphones.

Are there no such thing as ear buds worth buying?

If not, what IEMs below $50 would you recommend as a gift for an inexperienced listener? Was thinking of getting the SoundMagic E30

Unless like I said before the regular 598 comes on sale you're not likely to find a better deal anywhere for months than the CS particularly if you're a casual user that just uses a phone or whatever because the CS is designed to be driven from small audio sources

Carbo Tenore and Carbo Basso fit that price range and are easily the best within that

Not from a phone but I switch between laptop listening and an iPod touch I've held onto for five years. I don't want to use a $150+ when I'm out doing things. But the 598 seem like a good deal for indoor listening, at least.

amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK

is this a good deal?

both of those would be considered small audio sources. I have used the open backed ones for a long time on a PC audio source but the closed back one should fare even better.

Thanks, user

M40x + HM5 pads for slightly V shaped
DT770's for decently V shaped

Insane clamp and uncomfortable pads. What's your budget though?

No more than $150. And even that I'd like to stay away from if at all possible.

Nobody really knows anything about the 598c's. No info or anything yet.

You could achieve the same with 518's, some woodworking skill [or a 3D printer], and some HM5/ZMF pads if you wanted
cheaper too

No. The older RS series headphones suck massive shitbags.

Thanks for the input anons, I think I'm going for it this weekend.
Not even related, but I even misspelled a lot of shit in there too.

Using Audio Techica ANC-9's at work with a Creative E3 USB/Bluthooth DAC, for work it i Magic

M40x with HM5 pads
or
Hyper X Clouds with HM5 pads

Both slightly V-shaped, and under 100 even including the pads. Both sound excellent.

NVX XPT-100 are also a good option. Sound great, and are pretty damn neutral. No need to replace pads either. only 79 USD on amazon right now. Fucking great cans.

Other than that, Superlux 662 EVO are a good budget option. Slightly bright, poorly built, and not as good sounding as the above, but if you're really hobo tier you could roll with that.

But if you've got the money, get a headphone that will last.

im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to headphones and ive got a friend who is looking at buying the bose qc35 headphones and i cant help but feel like he is buying into a meme.

after asking what he listens to and reading around in this thread i think he might be better off with the recommendation of for the beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm.

his only argument is that he wants noise cancellation and im not sure how they stack up.

how do the two compare??

>BeyerDynamic DT-880 250 Ohm Premium SE Chrome Headphones $149 + Free Shipping

yeah compared to the $350 of the bose it seems absurd to me to pay an extra $200.

is bose a meme?

Thanks

Can anyone who has these give me their opinion. Thinking about getting them.

>Budget
$100
>Location
US
>Source
internal dac/amp in laptop/phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
High
>Sound signature
Neutral preferred, but not critical

Black Friday sales preferred

>budget
150 aud
>location
Australia
>source
Directly into my tower
>type of headphone
full sized
>open or closed
closed
>comfort level
good, as long as it doesn't compromise sound
>sound signature
whatever's best for listening to metal
>past headphones
none

What am I looking for to improve from HD 280 Pros? I've had them for a few years and they're great, but I'll probably want either an extra pair or a better pair in the future. I'm also kind of interested in trying an open pair of headphones. I tried some AKG 7xx, but I think they're only semi-open. I heard that true open headphones will allow you to hear people talking nearby, which sounds appealing for a LAN party setting where I want to hear my computer but also the people around me.

They're my favorite headphone so far. Sometimes the bass is too strong for certain genres but its generally very pleasing to me.

If you want solid heavy low end, with huge soundstage, go for em. They do have less detail than cans like HD 600's and other neutral, or close to neutral alternatives, but if you just want to fuckin groove out, theyre nice.

They're amazing for films and quite a few genres of music.

>Budget
100 dollars
>Location
america
>Source
Laptop and Iphone
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort level
as comfy as possible. definitely has to be usable with glasses
>Sound signature
I want it to be clear/detailed but with a noticeable boost in bass. maybe a slight v shape

My dad wants new headphones for christmas. I think he's currently using some cheap piece of crap he got at at a general store.

>budget
100~150 USD
>location
US
>source
Laptops and phone outputs. It's a gift so I can't know for sure.
>type of headphones
over-ear, but I'd really like something on the more portable/lightweight side
>comfort level
good
>sound signature
bassy, but nothing too extravagant
>past headphones
I used to have a Sony XB-700. Currently have a DT-770 and a Bose QC-25. I'd love to find something around the size of the QC-25 but that doesn't cost $300.

>Budget
200 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
going to wear them for hours with glasses on
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
20 dollar chink shit

>Budget
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop/Phone
>Type of headphone
Full>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Reasonably. Walking around outside with it
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Nothing special

However I do want them to be bluetooth wireless

Momentums 2.0 are on sale right now on amazon

Ath msr7

Looking for something bassy and with good bass under 200. Are the dt 770s my best choice? Or are they too V shaped?

Mdr v6/7506

You only want bass?

Ath m50x nigbass approved

depends what you consider to be bassy, good bass, and too v shaped
but they're generally considered good headphones. they aren't as v shaped as the 990's. I like them

I guess I'd like something that has good bass as in punchy and not scooped like most bassy headphones. Something nice for jazz and hip hop is what I'm looking for.

ath m40x, you can upgrade the pads to the HM5 later

good choice would be

M40x

best choice is

k550 or k553pro

i would rec the k550 if you want v-shaped

whats with all these guys wanting bassy headphones?

>Budget
Under $200
>Location
US
>Source
Computer, can spend some extra on an amp if needed
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for hours at my computer
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
MDR-V6, SHP9500

>MDR-V6, SHP9500

which one you like better?

Sorry, I mean that I dont want V shaped. I want something with good sub bass and mids. Weak treble is totally fine with me.

MDR-V6

K7XX are certainly open, all K__ headphones leak a lot of sound.
Isolation varies among even open headphones, semi-open is mostly a Beyerdynamic marketing thing, I think.