Software you originally hated, but grew to love

Software you originally hated, but grew to love

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.chron.com/techblog/2008/07/average-time-to-infection-4-minutes/
twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q="green bubbles"&src=typd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was such a fuck up when it was launched.

You'd get online and the time of survival was less than 30 seconds without SP1. It was 4 times the install size of Windows 2000, it took more resources than W2K to run and 98SE to do the same thing. Eventually it became the standard and "safe". I used Agnitum Outpost Firewall and it was awesome that way, you could set up rules for different programs and see exactly what was accessing the internet and what the destination IP was including resolving the websites they accessed. Anyway, rambling here. I been toying with the idea of installing it just to run games on.

The original digital assistant

Seeing as how it's servers are dust in the wind, you can safely use it now, I'd assume. It's collecting your data, but has nowhere to send it.

Don't be shy, big guy. Tell me about your life with Acme.

Definitely not Acme.
It's just not for me

i like how this software is the complete polar opposite to emacs

>You'd get online and the time of survival was less than 30 seconds without SP1

Oh yes? So what was so horribly infectious? Your ISP's gateway? DNS servers? Every website or any server at all? I find it extremely hard to believe how you can get infected by just "going online".

you really use plan9?
also, etf does snarf mean?

means copy

Not him, but this was surprisingly a real phenomenon back then.

Here's an older blog post that covers some of the facets of the issues back then:
blog.chron.com/techblog/2008/07/average-time-to-infection-4-minutes/

You just revealed yourself to be under aged.

Matlab was a chore until I learned how it could help me more efficiently study diff eq

WPF

Vim

>bloated useless text editor that demands a mouse is the polar opposite to bloated useless text editor that demands a mouse

Looks like you're a dumb newfag!
Welcome to Sup Forums, buddy. :)

typical mad GNUfag

vim, started scripting in python and a friend recommended vim, tried it out and hated it kept using it though, then my friend sent me a config he setup for me along with a text file explaining it all, now I love it - just wish I knew how to use my config on a windows machine

>VLC (even though I use mpv)
>mpv
>vim
>GNU/Linux
>LibreOffice
>7-zip
>qbittorrent (now migrated to Transmission)
I actually believed open source software is just a cheap knockoff of proprietary software.

Back in those days you needed a CD (Computer Disk, they used to be a thing but you're too young to remember) to connect to the Internet. It authenticated and downloaded some shit and count your time. Hackers would constantly compromise the whole services related to the CD thing and you would get infected right as you connected. Just how young are you?

>computer disk
are you underage? Its calles compact disk.

also there were toll numbers you could phone to connect to the internet. And little boxes to put your phone in that decrypted the sound to digital signals.

Kewl m3m3!

Tell me more.

acme is the opposite

the limited window management gets old

so does the "keybinds that were established defacto standards when we made this are harmful, but keybinds that were established standards 10 years ago aren't" bullshit

CLICKING UNDO EVEN ONCE IS TOO MUCH

>compact disk

No, they weren't mp3.

>Text editor
But you see, emacs is much more than just an editor, and does not require a mouse at all.
Welcome to Sup Forums, pal :^)

i never used windows or AOL, so this is alien to me

>re-l 90s kids used XP XD

Well, i hated it.
And now i love it.

Using the vim keybinding nearly in every application now.

Emacs after Notepad++ and GIMP after Photoshop CS6.

We all go through that phase

And then we start to do actual work and the modal editor's fundamental incompatibility with human thought either gets to you, or you're an autist and will never do anything of consequence, so you keep script-kidding in vim for the rest of your life and your second most significant achievement is adding vim keys to your IRC client.

Could you upload the text file user? I'm pretty lost with vim right now.

the text file just explains the config he gave me and how to use the plugins, not vim itself - just google vim basic usage that helped me at the start

Gnome3

Switched to Cinnamon because of it, but now I use Gnome3 as my daily driver and Cinnamon isn't even installed

Is there any good resources to learn acme? Something like practical vim?

watching any of the demonstrations on youtube helps

read the man pages and fuck around

the 9p interface isn't the best documented thing in the world if you aren't already familiar with 9p, and yes, it's limited, but it was the 90s and imaginations had yet to be fed with all the neat shit we have today

this

an important thing to remember is that most operating systems can't mount 9p stuff, you'll have to use a command to access the file system and pipe stuff to it

MODS! HES UNDERAGED AND B&

vim

:wq

It really is. Emacs was designed by an MIT guy and works by building a new language and environment separate from the host environment in which a text editor is implemented. Acme was designed by a Bell Labs guy and works by implementing a text editor in an existing language and environment that is meant to integrate the host environment.

emacs is more of a lisp machine VM than anything else

gahnoo loonicks

Why are we calling these things text editors then? They both sound like an IDE if we take your definition.

pretty much all acme does out of the box is edit text

to actually extend it you need to write external programs (in any language, that's one of the cool advantages)

which you could do with any text editor including MS notepad. what makes either emacs/vim/acme any different? Do they come with an interpreter or compiler?

>which you could do with any text editor including MS notepad
no

>no
explain that

>Software you originally hated, but grew to love

does notepad have a file system in which everything about it, including the window title, can be edited as text?

How does that become relevant to write code?

Not him but I consider vim, emacs and the like to be more like “IDE toolboxes”.

If you just ‘apt install vim’ you'll get a text editor, but with all the extensions floating around on the internet it has the capability to become as heavy with IDE features as you like.

all output can be put into or read from a buffer

you can write programs that look for spelling errors in a buffer and prints it out the result for example

I'm just trying to understand why people call these programs text editors when they seem to be used not much differently than other text editors yet there seems to be a fanboy attitude about it on Sup Forums.

They all sound like IDEs to me, more than text editors.

Google "Learn to speak vim"
Second, run vimtutor(outside of vim)

I still hate it

Well I think the main difference between what is considered a “text editor” and what is considered an “IDE” has to do with wether its features are default-off or default-on.

With an extensible text editor, you start out with a minimalistic blank slate that starts up instantly and add the features you want. With an IDE, you start out with a feature-heavy and bloated clusterfuck that takes half a minute to start and then maybe disable the features you don't need to make it less pain and suffering to use.

If anything, what Sup Forums likes is the approach where you start out with a blank slate and only add what you need. It's a more minimalistic, rewarding, self-tailored and ultimately more lightweight approach to building a system.

Doesn't it seem kind of a crazy thing to argue about? I'm starting to believe the autism is real.

Most arguments are crazy, but autism doesn't really factor into it here I think. Arguing about dumb bullshit is just a natural human way of life, and normal people do it just as much if not more than autists.

>most arguments are crazy
true but we're talking about people arguing about what text editors to use.

And normies argue about what color their text bubbles are, your point?

>And normies argue about what color their text bubbles are
god i hope not.

twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q="green bubbles"&src=typd

It's just your usual “my camp vs their camp” class war-ism. Same shit as linux vs windows, nvidia vs amd, intel vs amd, xbox vs ps, pc vs console, cod vs bf, firefox vs chrome, trump vs hillary and all the other things you see idiots arguing about all day long

There's no real objective rational behind any of it, people just have a natural tendency to self-associate with similar people and consider everything else an “enemy”.

>get a computer running XP for Christmas in 2007, up to SP2
>mostly browse gaming sites and some forums because I'm 13/14 at the time
>using IE6 by default, without going anywhere or downloading anything particularly skeevy or out of the ordinary get infected by a fuckton of viruses that changed my wallpaper to nagware, made popups, etc. after like 4 months
>PC was a prebuilt XPS that came with McAfee which is fucking useless, dad bought me Norton (which at least deletes threats on occasion) and got some POO to remotely unfuck my shit

I can absolutely believe his story, IE6 is a legendary security nightmare and Microsoft had an especially shitty reputation in that field. I remember how incredulous I was when I heard Windows Security Essentials/Defender is actually kinda OK, but bad as they may be now the early 2000's were a dark fucking time in this regard.

On a sidenote, I suspect part of the reason the internet "shrunk" socially is because everyone developed defensive browsing habits and refused to touch any site off the beaten path.

Always assumed that the green bubble shit was advertising AstroTurf.

As far as us vs them I wish mods would ban that shit. We have a Linux general, we could also have a Windows and Macintosh general and just stop with the ten different windows threads and ten different Mac threads and yada yada.

>you needed a CD to go online
When was this?

What user means is that you can write external programs and integrate them to acme so that to an end user they would seem one and the same.
You can write a search and replace tool, or a spell checker, and use it on a buffer of text while editing it in acme, or from the command line.

Think hex editing with vim and xxd. It's not external in the sense that the programs are separate, but that they can be used together while being separate binaries.

Though, I've never touched this piece of software so I'm not at all sure of my accuracy here. But it's clear that notepad doesn't have such functionality.

Ayyy. I used to use MATE because I wanted a more traditional interface but after playing around with Fedora some I found myself quite a fan of gnome3.

Also using vim at work of course.
Often have to ssh through 2-3 sessions, its the only text editor that still works then.

How can I do that? Most of the guides I found online were outdated.