/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Pre-Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822235121).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

about to install my first distro

what should be the first things i do and download and install ty :3

Install gentoo

First for gentoo

Where are the MILFs

How can I install the latest version of nvidia drivers with apt and make it so I get the new version when it is updated? I have installed nvidia-367 but didn't get a notice that nvidia-375 was available. I tried nvidia-current but that seems to install nvidia-304.

downtown

about to install Gentoo

already have Ubuntu on my computer; i'm going to dual-boot in case Gentoo doesn't work out for me.

just wondering if I need to install grub during the gentoo installation or if ubuntu's grub will be able to detect gentoo if I don't install grub during the gentoo install

if it's not holding your hand yeah you'll want to modify your grub entry to point to the new option

Got ya. Yeah I assumed I would at least have to log into Ubuntu and run OS-prober to detect Gentoo. Was just wondering if Gentoo needed its own boot loader in order for Ubuntu's grub to detect it.

why is kde so cool?

But it isn't

how is it not cool if it is?

It is.

I dunno. The window manager looks cool but it comes with too much other shit.
I know what browser I like (firefox) why the hell do I want it to install konquerer. I know what file browser I want (thunar) why do I want it to install dolphin?
etc...

installed 375 today and Mint keeps freezing

Just rebooted but things seem ok for me so far with neon.

Looks like you're using a shit distro/package manager. on gentoo it doesn't install any of that even with the plasma-meta package.

for some reason i do not get a shadow on my tint2 when i enable false for non shadow with compton

I am using Gentoo. Quit making assumptions. I just didn't know it would be any different since I never tried it.

don't make assumptions yourself then if you don't want people to make assumptions. portage usually doesn't pull in a lot of shit unless you explicitly request it and you should know this.

Sorry senpai

You don't have to install konquerer, it's not 2012 anymore. Dolphin is far better than thunar but I don't think you have to have it installed if you don't want it. Plasma 5 is pretty good at separating the packages now. That said, kde applications are general a lot better than the alternatives.

>Dolphin is far better than thunar
this. is there even any reason to pick thunar over dolphin if you aren't running on ancient hardware?

installed Mint today and can't seem to install nVidia drivers for GTX 1060, system keeps freezing

fedora 25

Is arch anywhere still an avid option?

provide more details.

Will using the same directory as my downloads folder fuck something up when torrenting if I'm dualbooting?

installed nvidia drivers today, tried 367, 370 and 375, even the open source x.org and system keeps freezing to the point that my only option is restarting. I don't know what to do... my first distro

How did you install them?

Driver Manager

Is your card overheating?

yes, just noticed it half an hour ago, 60-65 degrees

Live usb session worked?

Make sure it's properly ventilated then try it again.

had some problems with not recognizing monitors but fixed it with nomodeset, checked the video card and it's fine ...

Timestamp : Thu Nov 24 21:24:27 2016
Driver Version : 370.28

Attached GPUs : 1
GPU 0000:01:00.0
Temperature
GPU Current Temp : 63 C
GPU Shutdown Temp : 102 C
GPU Slowdown Temp : 99 C

how to disable video from downloading (and playing) from about:config

no 1 grub should do er.

a lazier method is to use a separate disk altogether and use your bios disk select

meh. lol. strokes/folks

others would say just virt it but that's not as to the limit

disallow the file types

turn off scripts

How's the stability of openSUSE compared to debian? I'm about to try out the chameleon as my main distro

suse on servers is very nice i don't see why desktop distro would be any less staple

zypper is nice and repos are well maintained. (not gushing out though) don't see a reason why note

Who is this productus succubus?

Is setting OpenGL to 3.1 and changing vsync to full screen repaints enough to get rid of screen tearing in KDE? What have I missed?
I'm running the non-nouveau drivers for GTX 970.
It happens everywhere except full screen MPV (still happens when not full screen).

I was wrong, it happens in full screen as well. It's just a lot less noticeable.

I accidentally deleted Music/Videos/Downloads folders from the /Home directory.

How do I populate it back?
Not interested in the content of those folders since it were empty, creating folders with the same name isn't right since the OS regards it as just another folder in the /Home directory and not a folder for Music/Downloads/Videos.

So I was dual-booting windows 8 and Ubuntu 16.04, haven't used the Ubuntu partition for a few weeks.

Tired to login today and something wired happened, when I try to login the screen flickers and outputs the line:

"/dev/SDA5: somenumber/somenumber files, somenumber/somenumber blocks"

before returning to the login screen, What is going on? How I fix it? I think it could be the fact that I share some of the things on my HDD between the 2 os's? not really sure.

I thought Ubuntu was the easy version of Linux...

That's corruption.
Did you move something from the Windows partition to the linux partition?

delete ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
run xdg-user-dirs-update

I don't think so, I may have copied something from the 2tb HDD that I share between both?

Is everything on the Linux Partion fucked for good or can I recover some of it?

how many FLOSS projects has she contributed to?

Based user.
Check "The wizard's birthday" for the source on the pic.

>Is everything on the Linux Partion fucked for good or can I recover some of it?
Nothing is lost, probably windows have corrupted something run fsck on the linux partition and ONLY the linux partition.

I got like 80gb allocated for Arch on my SSD.
What ratio would you recommend for root and home, if you have an entire HDD dedicated for downloading shit.

You don't even need a partition then. Just keep your /home on the root parition

Just set the whole root for the SSD, and set the /Home on the HDD.

Thousands of commits have been committed after a masturbatory sessions

session* to her picture.
Accidentally, prematurely sent the message.

Forgive my ignorance, but during install, would I mount said big partition to /mnt, create boot & home folders, and then simply not mount anything to home?

I use the HDD also on Windows, so it's NTFS. Also, I'd rather have it on the SSD as well, or aren't all the configs and shit in there?

gonna commit something right now myself then.

If that's the case then, yes.
You should have everything on the SSD, 50GB for the root, and 30GB for the home.
But sharing HDD with NTFS between linux and windows is bad idea.

>But sharing HDD with NTFS between linux and windows is bad idea.
How so? I already did that once without running into issues. It's basically just for storage, i.e. I have movies and Chinese cartoons on it.

Sometimes linux doesn't like how windows create/handle some files or the other way around with NTFS.
howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

Yeah. Just make a directory called /home in your / and that's it. There's really no need for a separate partition with just 80GB. Especially on arch with its bloated packages.
Why would you need a home on it? Just mount the windows drive and watch everything from there. Literally no need for it to be on your /home

>Why would you need a home on it?
Yeah my point exactly, that's why I said I want it on the SSD.

>arch with its bloated packages

Oh. I thought you wanted your home on a separate drive. That's fine then. I wouldn't even make a home partition if I were you though. 80GB really isn't a lot.
@57676247
good post

@57676268
>@57676247
I like your way of not increasing (You)

Arch install fag again. Does anyone know if the official grub package supports NVMe devices, or do I have to use grub-git?

>Nothing is lost, probably windows have corrupted something run fsck on the linux partition and ONLY the linux partition.

I'm pretty sure I did that correctly? Now it says clean before hand at the # are different

Thanks BTW

Is cantata the best Qt player?

I updated my Debian with Moto updates, then corrected the ssources.list and updated with Sana updates. How can I find the Moto updates and remove them?

nope qmmp

Is there anything you can do while being root, that you can't do with sudo?
Isn't sudo doubling your chances of someone getting root access to your system?

(All network addresses made up)

So I can ssh into my pc from the phone when they're in the same LAN (top sketch) with the command $ ssh [email protected]:22.

Now I want to be able to ssh into the pc from the phone when I'm NOT on the same network. Would the bottom sketch work? In short:
> forward router port 22 (inward-facing) to 222 (outward-facing)
> set up VPN on router; router now has an IP address which is visible inside the VPN (192.168.1.201 in the sketch)
> connect phone to VPN server
> ssh connection to (router's VPN IP address) port 222 is forwarded inside the LAN to pc port 22 (ssh server)

I installed Manjaro (with GNOME) alongside my Ubuntu GNOME installation on my test laptop, as per one user's suggestion in the previous /fglt/. And it didn't feel terribly different at all. The only differences I've noticed so far are

>different set of pre-installed programs
>different set of default customizations of GNOME
>pacman instead of apt
>no "software center," just a package manager
>different versions of packages

Is it just me, or are Linux distros not nearly as different from each other as people make them out to be?

>VPN
That's needlessly complicated. Just port forward on your router, then connect directly to that.
Also, please post your images in the correct orientation. I'm not going to turn my head, or save that image and do it myself in order to read that.

>Is it just me, or are Linux distros not nearly as different from each other as people make them out to be?
Yes. Fundamentally, they are all the same.
The only real differences usually are just package managers, and maybe init systems.

The router doesn't have a static public IP as far as I know so I'd have to look that up every morning.
Sorry, phone and at uni.

CYGWIN/VIM QUESTION:
I have my .vim and .vimrc etc they work on linux but when I put them in home to use with cygwin vim doesn't change and spits out errors

Error detected while processing VimEnter Auto commands for "*":
E492: Not an editor command: NERDTree

also none of my other plugins work, I've used :version to determine everythings in the correct directories

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I'm planning to pick up a new external drive to move all of my media to (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822235121). I'll be swapping it between a Windows PC and a laptop running Manjaro. I haven't had the experience of using any kind of removable media with Linux yet (I'm still very new to it), but is there any particular file system I have to use? Also, if I want to secure the data, is there anything that will decrypt it on both operating systems? Asking mainly because I have a trip home from college coming up and I won't have access to anything but the laptop.

the fuck why is there no support for a fucking netgear wireless usb adapter?

NTFS, LUKs

Sudo is an abstraction which enables fine-tuned control about who can use the root account. When you use sudo, you're doing things as root. Sudo serves as a convenience for most users, so they don't have to first log in as root, execute their command and exit the root shell.

no idiot, using sudo just runs a certain parameter as root. using sudo does not all of the sudden execute whole instructions as full root access.

>is there any particular file system I have to use
If you want to be able to use it with Windows as well, you pretty much have to use NTFS.
Linux can read and write NTFS just fine.
>if I want to secure the data, is there anything that will decrypt it on both operating systems
The go to encryption scheme for Linux is dmcrypt+LUKS. Apparently there are windows programs capable of opening them.
Also, Truecrypt (which you shouldn't be using) was capable of being used on both. Whatever the successor to Truecrypt is should be another possible solution.

pacman is slow as fuck, but everything else seems to work at proper speeds, picture related. What could the issue be? Am I missing something obvious?

I properly ranked the mirrors and saved it in the mirrorlist. Tried both on-board network cards, same issue.

Thank you, anons. You guys rock.

Wait, why is TrueCrypt bad now? I thought the security audit came up clean.

>why is TrueCrypt bad now
It's unmaintained.

Does anyone else get disgusted whenever they see someone using Yaourt like here ? Not just Yaourt, basically any AUR helper. It just screams: "I don't know what I'm doing, but I will then complain how this sucks once I mess things up." It also has some sort of pretentious aura.

>Yaourt
That's clearly pacman.

It's the same with either one.

How is it pretentious to use your package manager?

The issue is the same with either one. I don't give a fuck about the pretentious part.

You get disgusted when someone uses their package manager normally?
What the hell is wrong with you?

I think you got lost in the reply chain. He's most likely referring here that he's getting the issue with both.

Don't bother, he's just baiting.