If a VPN keeps no logs is there any way that law enforcement could find you?

If a VPN keeps no logs is there any way that law enforcement could find you?

Just to be clear here, this is theoretical, I have not, am not, nor am I planning to do anything that breaks the law.

I emailed nordVPN and asked them about their policy on log keeping, they gave me a bit more detail than I think is displayed on their website regarding how it is done

>Our special server configuration allows us to do not log anything because all data goes to /dev/null directory which is like a black hole in the server. All datacenters have an ability (if they have configured their service in that way) to see the the requests sent from the server to the website and the other way round. However, it is not possible for them to see the content of those requests. Nevertheless it could not be associated with the respective user.

Is this legit?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

nordvpn.com/features/
reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/53y1wi/a_redditor_was_arrested_and_fined_for_an/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Alright. Thanks.

Your traffic still goes through the ISP, but it shouldn't be a problem providing that there are enough people using your VPN that they can't identify you by comparing access times on your ISP (which is probably always going to be true)

However, there are still some things to keep in mind I think. For one, the level of logging done by your ISP, and I'm also pretty sure the NSA can break the encryption on a lot more shit than we are ever made aware of but still costs them a lot of resources to do it, so unless you're a high priority it would probably never come to that.

Also, another thing to think about is whether the VNP is lying or not.

I can't remember where this happened exactly, I think it was an email service that was supposed to be super secure. The service got shut down and eventually the story leaked that the guy was basically told by law enforcement that he had to keep logs and that he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about it.
Rather than go to jail, or betray everyone's trust and secretly keep logs, he took a 3rd option and just shut down the service.

You can't trust anyone.

Okay, thank you very much. That is an interesting point regarding access times. Could this be negated by have a constant stream of data, like a torrent running in the background?

Torrentfreak have the best guides on which VPNs actually live up to their promises on privacy

Pretty sure Lavabit is the service you're referring to

Only if your torrent is running through the VPN. But honestly you don't really have to worry about it.

Even if your access time matches, as long as there are other people who also are using the VPN at that time what does it matter? Unless they have reason to suspect you personally then they might send some spooks over to your house to talk to you or something, but it doesn't constitute proof of anything.

Honestly there isn't much you can do to be 100% safe. If they want to find out who you are bad enough they probably will and that's all there is to it.
Unfortunately the name of the game is keeping yourself below the curve so the effort to get you never becomes worth it.
It's not a fun game, and that's why I gave up on my childhood dream of being an untouchable l33t haxor when I realized it's already game over from the start.

As far as I know the only way to really be hidden is to have an anonymous ISP. I think they tried to do that in Sweden and it was getting a lot of pressure even from the US to have that effort stopped.

Okay, so in your opinion, is using a vpn effectively pointless then?

No definitely not.

I'm just saying there is no perfect solution. But using a VPN could make it extremely difficult for them to find you, and if all you're doing is pirating shit then you probably are nowhere near worth the effort they'd have to put in to track.
Just depends on how bad your traffic gets. If you're dealing in cheese pizza, hacking government sites, or are a high profile international terrorist then that's another story.

Okay, thank you very much for your input. I think I will be using this one. In addition to the greentext in the OP, these are the other features they offer
nordvpn.com/features/

Isnt hacking into a neighbours's WiFi network more secure?

I don't know much about the laws in other countries, but personally I would take their no-logs policy to be a bit more trustworthy when they're not based in the US.

I once read an article that the best way to not get caught is to use a stolen computer from a different city, and NEVER connect to the internet with it from a known location, only take it to distant wifi spots and try not to let any cameras capture your face, and when not using it keep it locked up in a Faraday cage.

Not sure if that's too over the top or not though.

>I once read an article that the best way to not get caught is to use a stolen computer from a different city
>the best way not to get caught is be linked to multiple police investigations of stolen property and inevitably appear in the crowd on cctv systems that will inevitably installed in the same places that offer wifi so your face can be cross referenced as much as possible with the other locations

Sounds like it was written by a spook.

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Just don't break the law.

Tell when you get thrown in jail for a youtube comment. Yes that can happen.

I think the degree people go to to stay hidden online would easily be 80% lower than it is if our politicians and lawmakers and general public weren't batshit fucking insane.

Honestly I'm afraid I might get a knock on the door one day because I downloaded an image from the internet that had some shady shit embedded in it or something.
They don't care about going after the real criminals, half the time they just want to throw someone in jail to look like they're doing shit. They don't care if you really deserve it or not.

Actually in the UK you can get arrested and fined for making racist comments online, and loose your job.
reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/53y1wi/a_redditor_was_arrested_and_fined_for_an/

Holy shit.

That was an email provider if I recall correctly, not a VPN, unless they did both?

Either way yeah they just shut down instead of giving away the encryption key to access Snowden's emails.

Then don't make racist comments online?

I hope you are trolling me.

Rednecks that hate other races for no reason are not doing any good for society anyways.

>Rednecks that hate other races for no reason
Oh good. because that isn't me. I am not what you said. I do not do what you said.

As a Frenchmen, I hope you know it is your sort of ideas which will lead to the rise of the Fascists.

Just to let you know, somebody posted this comment on a neo-nazi thread in Sup Forums. Don't be surprised if you get flamed.

What are you hiding?

RIP Bill Pertwee

gone2soon

Rednecks > Neckbeards

You can't trust any provider in USA. The government there can legally force a provider to for example keep logs when they claim they don't.

Thanks for the help friendly neighborhood attention whore tripfag

>I'm also pretty sure the NSA can break the encryption on a lot more shit than we are ever made aware of
They can't.

If you want to hide your ass you pretty much need to proxy chain through rooted servers or stay in the darknet. Oh and don't get owned by FBI when they seize darknet sites.

Stupid boy...

Using a VPN in Europe is retarded. EU will not protect you from anything.

Yes they can, look up "vulcan death grip nsa".

Not really. At least if you use a VPN based in your own country. A VPN provider doesn't categorize as an ISP so they aren't required to obey data retention laws. And all countries spy agencies listen in on all traffic leaving and entering the country. But they aren't allowed to listen in on traffic that origins in their own country and have the end destination in the same country.

This means you can be sufficiently anonymous.

>But they aren't allowed to listen in on traffic that origins in their own country and have the end destination in the same country

They are in the British Caliphate thanks to the new law passed the other day.

Well Britain has surpassed Orwell's 1984 years ago. I'm waiting for the day when you have mandatory political correct thinking chips installed in your brains.

I wouldnt go that far