> IPS Display
> 149.99
> Intel
> A E S T H E T I C Early Netbook-style Plastic
> Metal Hinges
> Coreboot so linux support

Why should I not buy it, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-N22-11.6-Laptop-Windows-10-Pro-Intel-Celeron-N3050-Dual-Core-Processor-4GB-RAM-64GB-Hard-Drive/160102121
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>chromebook

>2gb ram
baaaaka

>149.99
>Chromebook

I mean why not just buy a regular Intel notebook instead? Might be pressed to get an IPS display at that cost but it'll most certainly be better spec and more compatible with more distros.

Don't listen to these fags OP, a chromebook is much better than a laptop if all you're going to do on it is web browsing and watching youtube. No point in spending so much on a laptop when you have a desktop that is actually capable of something.

also crouton is a thing. and the crosh is very usable anyway. the real problem is 2gb of ram lmao you certainly wont be browsing a lot of web with that

4GB ram or bust

What if you want to just wipe the google nonsense away and boot it always straight to desktop linux? Can you do that?

In the old days, that would require developer mode which required pressing some button each boot or waiting for some stupid countdown, IIRC.

Can you run actual Desktop OS on them now, straight away without such annoyances (beyond the nonstandard keyboard)?

crouton is bae, only problem for me with it is no ArchLinux support so I have to be a debian shill on the go.

Yusss... 8GB would be comfy.

I've used a chromebook for quite some time, also running Awesome through crouton. It was nice, though I wouldn't suggest it if you actually have to use a laptop, for work and serious studying and such. It's slow, doesn't feel right, small. But it was nice to read books, watch videos, shitpost and other such basic things. Now upgrading to an actual laptop for university.
Also enjoy your botnet.

You need to go into dev mode in order to run Crouton, I haven't heard of way to boot straight into linux. Would've changed my entire experience I think.

>ips display
whats the resolution? does not matter what panel it has if its just another 1366x768 craptop

>CB-131
When I looked it up, the retailer said it has TN, so take care. And I think it is 768p

you can boot in linux or dual boot chromeos and linux. It's really easy to install. Just go dev mode and then run a couple of scripts and commands and you are set.

I am a fan of chromebooks. I've got a Toshiba CB2 with an i3+4GB RAM that I carry daily. They're quality where it matters on laptops (cheap, good screen, cool, very light, fast enough for shitposting, good battery, sufficient build qualtiy). Massively improved reincarnation of netbooks, great for typing shit on the go, on the cheap.
Big problem though: the keyboard is nonstandard. Media keys line the top row and there aren't enough to directly replace the Fn and Delete keys so you have to do some shortcutting. Makes Ctrl+Alt+Del and other such things a pain in the ass.

Yeah, there's solid development surrounding custom boot firmware for these. You can boot Linux and Windows 8+ on chromebooks trivially. There's some attention lately to getting Mac OS on there too. They've got a customized version of Mint specifically for chromebooks too, with a remapped keyboard already built in.
/r/chrultrabook is where the devs hang out.

Shit, no del? I didn't think it was so dire.
For me, the reincarnation of netbook is Transformer T100TA. Pretty good machine, if you are OK with Windows 8.1 or 10 (upgrade works great on it).

It's not horrible when you remap del to ctrl+backspace or something similar but that does require a running system and some patience to learn the motion. While you're setting up your operating systems you can use the power+refresh key combo though, which are wired to reload the firmware when pressed. Basically a hardware reset switch.

wannabe mac trash.

also if you stare at the pic it becomes a optical illusion

Isn't this a better deal?

2GB is good enough on my C720 but I've read it's because it's processor it's just really good, so I don't know how fast the CB-131 will be. That's keeping me from buying it.

Chromebooks are marketed as simple internet browsing machines. Literally the only application available is Chrome. A simplified keyboard layout with media buttons instead of generic function keys makes sense for that use case.

this would be better.
you have more memory can just put a different OS on it.

walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-N22-11.6-Laptop-Windows-10-Pro-Intel-Celeron-N3050-Dual-Core-Processor-4GB-RAM-64GB-Hard-Drive/160102121

Looks good.

What's your opinion on this?

>looks nicer
>newer intel atom
>windows

I just want a cheap photoshop machine...

get a used x220 thinkpad senpai

>Photoshop
>Atom
Try again

chrome books are fucking garbage

>intel atom

2GB makes it garbage.

will do this. thanks.
ebay, right?

>used X220 with 4GB of ram used on ebay
>install IPS display
>get 9 cell battery, guaranteed 7 hours of battery life at least
>put a 250gb SSD in, hell even 120 (you only get a measly 16 with the CB LMAO)
>i5-2520m beats the shitty celeron
>keyboard isnt shit

wow that was hard, only problem is it will cost around $230 without good deals (which are common)

What the fuck are you even thinking?

Not OP, what's a good price to pay for an x220 and what should I be getting with it (do I need a docking station...)

you'll want an SSD with the x220, so look for ones that have parts stripped to lower the cost, and shoot for auctions. I picked up one off ebay just a couple days ago for $42 total, it just didn't have an HDD/caddy, battery, or a charger. Came with 4GB of RAM still though. In my opinion there is no point of buying a thinkpad that is fully working because you'll want to replace the battery first off, and replace the HDD anyways with an SSD.

HDD:
>used
>slow access times and r/w
>no idea how old it is, or how much it's been thrashed
>3-5w of power usage on read/write
>the smallest drop of your laptop (shouldn't ever happen but is possible), or setting it down a little too hard = oops head crash
>better price per gb

SSD:
>brand new
>fast as fuck IOPS
>0.5 idle power usage, 2w maximum (depends on brand)
>as long as the drive's board itself doesn't snap, no amount of drops will break it
>higher price
>limited writes (which is a meme with current drives anyway, it will outlast HDDs by years with regular usage)

Portability and service. Some use cases are better served with thin chinese plastic with a warranty than some heavier DIY metal.

If you need more power than a modern celeron pushes then you have a point, but basic web browsing/entertainment and office work are handled fine by bay trail.