Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce, or something else? And why?

Gnome, Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce, or something else? And why?

Other urls found in this thread:

solus-project.com/)
youtube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM
joewing.net/projects/jwm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Budgie because [Solus](solus-project.com/) is awesome!

Xfce of course

GNOME
>why?
it's better
youtube.com/watch?v=FQM5fU7V-MM

+1

I've been using Unity but considering switching back to KDE. I miss it, and by "it" I mean KDE4.

>tfw no KDE4
At least I can use the oxygen theme I guess.

Xfce

XFCE if you want customization, efficiency, or propriety AMD GPU drivers; Gnome otherwise.

Gnome because I haven't figured out how to change it in Fedora

just install Solus

I would but they don't have stickers and I already paid for my Fedora stickers

makes sense, an investment is an investment

Solus is a meme don't listen to this guy

SOLUS ISN'T A MEME

gahnome

i3

DEs are overrated

LXDE or LXQt?

How is i3 not a DE?

Who is this semen demon

Pantheon

LXQt tend to take over LXDE development

how is it?

lxde and lxqt are good too

desu I've forever been in limbo between budgie, cinnamon, xfce, lxde, and lxqt. I still have 5 arches installed, one with each DE, and I just can't decide. They all differ in terms of readiness, stability, visual appeal and functionality, and none is perfect.

After that I still dont know which set of applications I wanna go with: terminal (although lxterm and tilda seems like the best combo atm), graphics driver (fucking nvidia cards... it's impossible to get anything to work on this shit, everything is bugged and unstable as fuck, nouveau especially can suck my dick), details like compositor and x vs wayland (wayland is backward compatible with x so it should be obvious, but it's not finished yet), etc

And then there's the random bullshit issues I get and can't fix because when I google it, it doesn't seem to exist. A bunch of errors that appear in the systemd output, shutdown errors, the fact that systemd's left column layout is broken after logiin (the column rows don't align anymore), etc

year of the linux desktop fucking never if they can't get their act together and make something that just werks

what most people look for in a DE is the program menu, window list, status tray, etc... not all the bundled shit applications that come with it (looking at you, mate)

Xfce

Unity

I'm doing a new instillation of Fedora right now, I chose GNOME last time, what should i pick this time?

xfce is the most sane choice. gnome is bloated and the rest is botnet material.

i3 is a wm fag is more efficient and customizable than any DE.

Nobody uses Unity outside of Ubuntu

goddamnit I was gonna post a thread with this this image!!! OP beat me to the punch.

this poster is obviously very wise.

Cinnamon > *

after trying a bunch, it's simply the best. add Arc to it and you have a modern looking OS that you can customize to do anything you want.

I like Openbox. With tint2 it's simple and gives me all I need while being light on resources.

Though if I wasn't using that it'd probably be LXDE/LXQT or Budgie. Even though they have a pretty aggressive campaign in here, it's actually pretty good looking DE.

How do you add Arc?

If I had to use a DE, I would choose gnome.
2bwm for a nice rice.
Openbox for something in between.

so is it GNOME or 2bwm?

You can still use it with debian stable.

Ah, Debian Stable, the museum of Linux software.

Tried Unity but botnet and bloated, same with Gnome and KDE.
I use Cinnamon 2.6 but it's not very stable. Maybe I should try xfce (lxde is too limited).

>Debian Stable
>the museum of Linux software
I don't get this meme at all

Yes Debian doesn't have the latest software like rolling distros or distros in 6 month release cycles have but this is the price you have to pay for legendary stability and ease of maintenance. For many people that's important.

Besides, latest software isn't always the greatest.
New software and libraries with minimal testing result in bugs and breakage, unacceptable for servers and if you don't use your workstation or laptop only for ricing.
There are backports to use most newer software you need in stable without sacrificing stability.
Finally there is always the source to compile the latest software and since Debian stable users are experienced they don't need the hand-holding of AUR or PPAs and they don't trust random binary packages from dubious sources.

In conclusion Debian stable isn't outdated. It's just 2 years old with the new stable just around the corner.
One stable release every 2 years is a very good schedule and the schedule even proprietary OSs used before they switched to the one-release-per-year model (which made their stability much worse)

I used to prefer Cinnamon, but I've been trying LXDE and I think it's more lightweight and snappier.
I'll probably change to that.

>4MB screenshot
well I fucked up this time

Is this the new desktop thread?

Unity for maximum botnet.

I like cinnamon and xfce

yes it is but be quiet

LxQT tbqh

ur gay lol

This is a b8 because don't have m8.

>m8
into the trash it goes

Hello homosexual

What icons are those?

MATE
>why?
Because I use my computer to work.

here we go

if you're not using xfce you'd better just end your life now because you're wasting your time.

GNOME

Looks like Paper to me, maybe.

what extension gets rid of the power settings on the top right?

It's fine, mate. It doesn't bother anyone but poor people and phone posters.

cinnamon mint.

i3

Better for ricing, low resource consumption, better for keyboard-only navigation, and just better workflow once you get past the learning curve.

What's wrong with LXQt?
Did I miss something?

Gnome, because Wayland is ready in Fedora 25

>pajeet

is this a new forced meme?

if so, i will download and add to my meme folder

jwm - joewing.net/projects/jwm/
Super lightweight, simple, stacking, built-in panel.
Found it perfect for my preferred use cases (1 or 2 foreground windows per monitor, rest is minimized).

Mate
because old habbits die hard

>74
ur all gay xd

Fake reddit troll is fake

Xfce