/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Mustard Race Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zXDvqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/WQhQf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/fpG84C
pcpartpicker.com/user/Hooplah_/saved/2Y8Jxr
pcpartpicker.com/list/2QLZzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/YMrkgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/dzg6qk
pcpartpicker.com/list/DrfWBP
pcpartpicker.com/user/nhenry206/saved/#view=Xqy4D3
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139068&cm_re=carbide_series_88r_microatx-_-11-139-068-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853035&cm_re=deepcool_dukase_v2-_-11-853-035-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/qtMhm8
pcpartpicker.com/user/seinthebear/saved/HVNP6h
pcpartpicker.com/list/pRkYQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/8yyhm8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any recommendations for a decent, not overly expensive mATX case?
Doing a 6700k + R9 Fury build.

Building an audio production/general purpose PC, will run Ubuntu and KXStudio. So far I plan to run a i7 6700 and at 16 gigs of RAM. Any advice on other components? I'm particularly indecisive about motherboards and don't know what features I should look for.

When the fuck should I do this? Now or cyber monday?

Since you're not getting a K cpu, I guess you don't plan on overclocking so go for an h170 and decide whether you want sli/crossfire support.

Will you even have a GPU? If not make sure the board supports integrated graphics

Coolermaster n200, I love mine and it's $25-50 depending on rebates and deals
this weekend at latest, cyber Monday actually isn't real, do NOT wait
Or if you do, wait 3 months, everything will start going on regular sales again
That's literally all you need for DAWs, CPU and ram. Get a good external audio interface and some monitors (get good monitors before good headphones).
And while you're at it, you're missing the most important part of any modern DAW worth using: windows

what i want for muh gaems

CPU: 7700k (when it comes out)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB Data HDD

I am planning to buy the parts in around late december/early january. or should I buy them now? When will they be the cheapest?

First for NCASE M1

I ain't waiting 3 months, but how is cyber monday not a real thing exactly? There was a 30% off jet code earlier but that shit expired earlier than i thought it would, maybe something similar will come around tomorrow or sunday

Why not just get the node 202+ psu?

what exactly are you expecting to go on sale?
i bought my build two weeks ago and the only parts that were cheaper today were a HDD and my 6600k. and that was maybe $40 total

Nah, I see no need to overclock for what I'm doing. I'll consider getting the K because maybe in a few years it'll be worthwhile to do it, but not soon. The 6700 is powerful as it is and hyperthreading will already give it a boost. I may or may not get a GPU, I don't game so I'm not confident it'll be worthwhile, but if I do it'll be a cheap one.

DESU if I had money to burn and wanted the best audio interface I'd buy a Mac because Logic is amazing, and cheap. I can live without Windows. Worst case scenario I can always run WINE, right?

Any good 4k monitors worth buying?

anyone here been though the rma process with evga?

i have a gtx 980 ftw evga i bought off some guy a year back and apparently there were some issues with it on release and many people were sending their 980 ftw's back for replacement/repair. i checked my warranty status on their website and i have like 3 years left and i also put in an rma request and they accepted it because they obviously know about the problem.

it says on their website that they will replace any faulty cards with something of equal performance/value. does this mean i can possibly get a 1060/1070 out of them because the 980 is out of production? the 980 is around 1060 performance but the value of the 980 was about £430 back then which is gtx 1070 pricing.

what can i expect? i hope they just don't return my 980 with a new bios or something.

i5 6600k or i7 6700k?

Is i7 fucking worth it yet? I've heard no over the years but always something like "IT'LL BE WORTH IT MORE IN THE FUTURE" is it the fucking future yet?

its not so much specific parts, more like general discounts on jet/newegg for whatever the order is like codes etc.

I think as soon as I see something that doesn't look like it would ever go lower, I'm pulling the trigger

>tfw constantly refreshing buildapcsales

Get the 6600k

idk never considered it
I love my M1 though

check amazon for used parts that are like new and sold by amazon warehouse deals or whatever they call it. I got my gigabyte z170n for around $85 when it retails new for $160. It was impossible to tell it wasn't "new." Also, they'll let you return it for 30 days no questions asked

So I've got this 16gb ddr4 2133mhz RAM for really cheap where I live, is it good?
It's Crucial branded CL15 model CT16G4DFD8213. It has no fancy heatsinks but is really cheap. Did I fuck up? I have not received it yet

>Did I fuck up
nah ram is ram
how much did you get it for?

I'm looking for a decent wireless, tenkeyless, non-mechanical keyboard that isn't chink shit. Does anyone here know where to get one? I haven't found any from reputable manufacturers.

hows it looking so far?

Should I get 16gb of ram or is 8gb still fine? Should I pay like twice the price for some supra fast ram or does it even really matter?

>nah ram is ram
This
You're fine

I always give a memtest 1 pass with new sticks.

Anything wrong with this as a starting point?

>i7-6700k
>MSI Z170A Gaming M7
>MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
>G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 3200

any idiot proof laptops for my girlfriend that are touch-screen and competitive with MacBook Pro in battery life, portability, features but cheaper?

trying to convince her to go PC

Logic is just like any other daw, and audio interfaces are hardwaare

Got it for $75 but I'm not in USA, I'm in a 3rd world shithole so thats really cheap..

>about to cut my bank account in half in one fell swoop, also I have no income right now

wish me luck lads

it's an investment in your future m8

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zXDvqk

Just bought this shit for Christmas (sans-ram, but only because it sold out between adding it to my cart and checking out), how'd I do? I already have a good psu and a decent hdd that I'm gonna scavenge from my current tower.

meant to quote and

Hey guys,

Which motherboard for a 6700K and single GTX 1080?

pcpartpicker.com/list/WQhQf8

About to do it lads

pcpartpicker.com/list/fpG84C

How is this? This is just a list of the parts that are needing to be upgraded the most in my system. For some reason the ram shows that price but it is $45 on Newegg.

I already have the cpu cooler, I was just checking if it had incompatibility issues.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Hooplah_/saved/2Y8Jxr
>Overwatch
>Gta 5
>Maxed Out 1080p
Any suggestions on what I should upgrade down the line would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, do you think this will be able to handle BF1? If it does I think it will be able to handle pretty much everything I intend on playing. And yes it's cheap I know, I don't have money.
pcpartpicker.com/list/2QLZzM
Any recomendations?

Already have 1000W PSU and storage.
What do you think guys?

At minimum settings with 30 fps, yea.

>$700 for a 1070
Newegg has them for $340-400

And that ram Holy shit

I've got $250 to spend on a monitor or monitors.

wat do

Cpu is also $100 cheaper on newegg

Already have a 1000W PSU and Storage
Basically I'm looking to play something like dishonored 2 at max settings on 1440p @60FPS. I don't know how realistic that is with a 1070.

Straya mate

I'm just fucking my shit up all over the place today

Which power supply should I get for this build that can draw 140w max?
pcpartpicker.com/list/YMrkgL

Would either one be reliable if threw in a 770 down the line (this will probably never happen)?

My apologies, oh southern brother. Are Aussybucks worth less than Burger bucks, or are you just fucked with prices?

Fedora case DESU famalam

pcpartpicker.com/list/dzg6qk

Is this good for running games like Grim Dawn flawlessly on medium settings or higher?

It's not exactly straight forward like that.
Not only is our dollar worth less we get paid more dollars for the same work so it kinda works out.

What's $20 here is like $10 for you while we get $50K PA for a job you'd get $25K a year for.

will my 3570k be good if i get a 1060? or should I upgrade that as well?

It's not OCd

What about this one?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DrfWBP

is this good for my first time build? im too poor.

pcpartpicker.com/user/nhenry206/saved/#view=Xqy4D3

I'm no expert, but the fact that you're paying $160 for a motherboard that doesn't support PCI-E 3.0 or DDR4 RAM throws up some red flags. That may be an AMD processor thing, though, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone care to look this over and r8 my build?

Ignore the lack of a cooler, PCPP doesn't have liquid cooling components but I'm going full loop.

What's the best socket 1150 processor you can possibly get?

This is my first build. Gonna be doing gaming and editing. I'm pretty clueless about motherboards (and everything else really). If there's any parts I can replace for something that's cheaper and equivalent or better, please let me know. I want to stay around $1.2k or lower.

I've managed to buy everything but my case Sup Forums. Can anyone provide input on which of these two cases I should buy?

From a purely aesthetic standpoint I'm leaning towards the Dukase. I also have heard that the Dukase has slightly better build quality than the Carbide. The only issue is that I'm very limited on space, and I don't know if the Dukase will fit in the space I have, but I know for a fact the Carbide will. I'll need to get the monitor set up to know for sure, but as it stands I may need to offset the monitor for the Dukase to fit on the desk I have. Both cases are cheap/within my budget, are structured such that the placement of drives or the gpu won't be an issue and have (relatively) good airflow.

Wat do?
>Links
Carbide 88r
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139068&cm_re=carbide_series_88r_microatx-_-11-139-068-_-Product
Dukase V2
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853035&cm_re=deepcool_dukase_v2-_-11-853-035-_-Product

Hey /pcbg/

How's this for a mid-range gaymen PC?

Is there any meaningful difference between a Vengeance LPX 2x8 3000MHZ and a Vengeance LED 2x8 3000MHZ except the faggy leds?

Dumb question, but since I'm only going to be using one monitor for games, will getting a secondary monitor with same dispay size but different refresh rate affect anything?

i7 4770K

You better have a nice monitor

It's shit, get an i3 6100 and either a B150 or (if you want to buy an unlocked CPU later) a Z170 mobo

OC and get the 1060. It'll be fine with no OC but OC will be way better

That will run Grim Dawn on Ultra 1080p 60FPS

Either is fine, but if you're not using a graphics card consider an ITX build

Unless the patch really fixed the game you're not doing 1440p 60FPS Ultra. Lots of areas where the game struggles, particularly when you look out over the city

Get a Hyper 212 EVO and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming instead. And do you really need a 750w PSU?

Going for a slightly more budget build
r8

Is the good ol' i5 2500k still good enough for running new games on ultra at 1080 when matched with a gtx 1070 and some good ram?

Solid advice.

>Liquid cooler
Unless you're going for some really high OC, a 212 EVO will be more than enough.

>RX 480
1060 6GB is, at the moment, objectively better.

How good is this list? I'm building my first PC and I used the links in the OP, but I wanna get some advice before I really commit. Pic Related

>pcpartpicker.com/list/qtMhm8

Shit build, get an i3 6100 and save your pennies for an RX470, they're only $160 right now.

AM3+ is a dead platform. You'll WAY better perf from an i3 6100 and have a nice upgrade path, which means that you save money in the long run

If you're looking to upgrade, get a Z170 mobo and 3000MHz RAM. Pick up a Kaby Lake i7 after they're cheap

You should get a cooler. Planning on eventually getting an unlocked CPU? Otherwise you could see if you can find a cheaper, non-Z170 motherboard.

See

is a ssd worth it or just meme premium?

worth it.
HDD writes at like 3mbs per second, SSDs, even like a-data spit out 7-8 times as much

Also, windows/whatever OS you have boots in less than 30 seconds.

What brand RX480 should I get?

Also should I wait for cyber monday?

It's only worth it if you have cash laying around. It's not a necessary part your computer.

I'm building it for 4k and second gen VR when it comes out in 2-3 years.

Worth it for your OS and anything that runs on startup. Games will be hit or miss, but open worlds and games with lots of loading screens tend to benefit a lot.

alright then what are some good ssd brands, i see samsung and sandisk but i stumbled upon crucial today, never heard of them, any good?

I've had a sandisk 120gb ssd since 2012 and it's never given me a single problem.

Samsung is top tier. Crucial is also good, with better GB/$ value.

Should I just kick it off with an i5-6600K in that case?

A 6600k should only be around 30 bucks more, but the 1050Ti will be the bottleneck in video games, not the CPU.

What video card do you recommend that's $200 or less?

>E5-2670 $60
>Alienware motherboard $150
>Adata SP550 480gb ssd $120
>RX 480 $200
How can I improve from here? Is there a next level of godhood which I can achieve?

Is 750w way more than enough for what I'm building? Should I gets something cheaper? And the motherboard is basically the same as the one I had on there just a bit cheaper, or is there something I'm missing?

No one?

>Get a Hyper 212 EVO and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming instead
Why?

It's way more then you're using, but if you plan on upgrading down the road, it wouldn't be a bad idea

RX480 4GB, GTX1060 3GB, RX470, ordered from best to worst.

I was thinking of getting Star Citizen when the multiplayer fully drops and I was gonna upgrade around then too. Should I just keep it then?

What is the lowest gpu I can get if I want to run 3 2560x1440 monitors and the only gaming I do is osu?

Actually, scratch that about the Asus Z170. But the 212 EVO is better value, and it's gonna be more than enough. I always recommend either the 212 EVO or NH-D15, otherwise you might as well just get a proper liquid set up.

pcpartpicker.com/user/seinthebear/saved/HVNP6h

Shit on my build

Why would anyone ever buy a 212 when an H5 is $10 more and 3x better?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pRkYQV

Any better now? Does it matter if the voltage for the RAM is higher than the max recomended voltage of the CPU? This is my first build I don't want to fuck it up.

212 EVO is no longer budget perf king

i7 boys where we at?!?!?

WW@ BOYS?

Where the fuck we at?

What GPU brand should i consider buying? (talking about evga, msi, and so on)

Depends on nvidia vs amd

For nvidia cards I believe zotac pny are the best.

For amd I believe Sapphire is the best.

For both, you can't go wrong with Asus, MSI or gigabyte.

Is evga that bad?

Hey, new to pc building, would like some opinions on the build I made, mostly for playing gaymes and using photoshop/3d softwares.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8yyhm8

The 1070 and 1080s apparently went up in flames. That's enough for me to not trust them this generation. The lower end cards should be fine though.