Thoughts on the Alienware 15?

Thoughts on the Alienware 15?

They made it lighter, thinner, put the 1070 in it, and made it last 6 hours on a charge

I have the new Macbook pro right now, and i'm probably going to return it

Other urls found in this thread:

mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Alienware-15-R3.htm
amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXO0PO2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=5557db06b38a11e68a25bee56e17977c0INT&ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, I'm buying it as a workstation PC

Requirements:

Under 3K pricetag
i7, 16GB RAM, multiple drive bays
10 series GPU
Good build quality
Good battery life 6+ hours
Good speaker sound
Doesn't weigh a ton, not overly thick

any other suggestions?

If I don't like this i'm getting the Razer Blade instead.

>I have the new Macbook pro right now
My sincerest condolences.

I have one, they are very good.

I just wish it had more USB ports (abble meek dooks are no better)

99% of AW15 shipped have heating problems due to the stupid 3 screw heat sink design. One of the twitter reps confirmed it would be corrected in a months time so wait till then.

>Razer Blade instead

You should also look into the sager -S line of laptops. Just a little thinner then the AW15 but better bang for your buck without the current heating problems of the alienware.

>buying a dell
>choice of vostro, latitude and inspiron on low end and xps and precision on high end
>settle for ayylmaoware

What are you doing nigger?

>vostro
no gpu
>lat
no gpu
>inspiron
consumer tier garbage
>precision
bad battery life

they really dont give me any choices

the latest alienware doesn't thermal throttle though

And all the S line notebooks look thick and cheap.

>Sup Forums recommending a shitty gaymen laptop to replace a macbook
How you have fallen, Sup Forums.
I remember when this board despised shitty built retarded gaymen laptops and recommended a macbook.

Fucking kids and leddit taking over this board.

I'm not gaming on it you idiot.

>wants a workstation
>buys a laptop
What do you want to do in it?

We've grown tired of giving warnings. OP will learn the hard way. Current gen gaming laptops are even worse than the old ones since nvidia did their TDP fuckery. He'll discover that too, in time.
Yes, of course, sorry, we should have guessed that by the super serious business LEDs(™)

edit photos, render videos. Already have a desktop workstation

Desktop master race

>implying alienware has good battery life

M18x here, damnit I'm impressed at the cooling for a laptop.

Might upgrade to a 17 inch soon though, this laptop is just too chunky.

The Macbook Pro is so shit for the money you might aswell get the alienware, i know i'd do it if i had the money

>inb4 you never had a macbook pro so stop talking

I did, and it considering how overpriced it was 3 years ago i don't even want to think about the newest one

>This is rarely the upbeat section of a gaming laptop review, but the Alienware 15 R3 with the 99WHr battery and NVIDIA Optimus (in all but the G-Sync model) averages 6 hours of mixed productivity and streaming video use.

Why not a Lenovo P50 or P70? You can get a fucking Xenon.

how is it shit for the money exactly?

>thermal throttle

Yeah its not throttling but its burning itself to death and the cores are having 10 degree differences. The fucking rep on the alienware subreddit said 100c is safe operating range lol. Like I said wait a month before ordering. The S line I haven't seen in person but the youtube reviews make it look solid.

>Current gen gaming laptops are even worse

This gen of laptops is by far the best for performance. Gaming laptops are still shit though and only good for certain cases.

>recommended a macbook.
>
>Fucking kids and leddit taking over this board.

Fuck off mactoddler.

>mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Alienware-15-R3.htm

Not that user. I enjoy watching her but she is a shill. She lies a lot to keep the free product testing coming.

Why not get this and save some money?

amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXO0PO2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=5557db06b38a11e68a25bee56e17977c0INT&ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'll never buy another lenovo again.
Every single one i've bought, personally for deploying them at work have some bizarre issue.

They will just die and never power on again, some will shut off if you tilt them a certain angle, some have screen flickering issues, another has a trackpad problem, just days outside the 1 year warranty.

I've started just giving people at work probooks.

Personally I've had a thinkpad, that suffered from ram slot problems becoming unsoldered, and a U400 with metal sides digging into my palms, bios bricking itself randomly, and plastic clips that break when you open the cover

Don't disagree with you. I don't think there's a lot of substance to her reviews. I only use them to get a physical sense of the size of the laptop.

This is what I read from
>CPU and GPU temperatures are excellent for a relatively slim gaming laptop (the huge footprint and big chassis help, as do the two large fans). In light use, the CPU cores run at 41C, and when gaming they average 55C. The GTX 1070 runs in the low 40's with light use and 65C when gaming (both CPU and GPU are 10C cooler than the Asus, though the Asus' temperatures are still very good).

Use /r/alienware and the notebookreviews for actual users experience. This is the first time I've seen so many complaints on a new AW gen. Those temps are far from the average and do you honestly believe a gaming laptop has desktop tier temps while gaming? Shill tech review.

>macbook.

2 rupees have been deposited in your iTunes account.

Huge heat problems. Read around. Check notebookreview forums or reddit.

No sorry Lisa Gage is the best reviewer atm so I'll trust her that the Alienware is iced cold ass rather than you.

What is actually the problem with Macbook Pro and just as a pure workstation? Its got everything you want listed there. Yes it has a lot of issues but tbqh, it has by far the best SDD in the world and best sound and display, most of the problems with it are the keyboard, donglelife, graphics power and battery life and price.

You will get crazy fast times in FinalCutPro or Photoshop though.

Honestly though I think 2016 is the worst year for laptops ever and would almost just recommend dropping 400 on an Asus Chromebook and punting.

>No sorry Lisa Gage is the best reviewer atm

You got me mate, thanks for the laugh

>Razer Blade
Don't do it. As an owner of a blade, razer's support is terrible, their drivers are terrible, and the quality control is questionable. I've had multiple machines malfunction and need to be replaced, and I've had two friends go through similar ordeals with their blades.

They look cool, and the specs are nice on paper. But their not very good. Also shit thermals.

If that is your only requirements, then wait for Dell to refresh the XPS 15 in early 2017. You'll get an i7, 16gb, and more than likely a GTX 1060 for well under $3k.

>I have the new Macbook pro right now, and i'm probably going to return it
Not even in the same class of laptop, the MacBook Pro weighs what, 4lbs with 10 hours of battery life? The Alienware 15 weighs 7.7lbs which is massive in comparison.

When did you get your Blade? What kind of malfunctions have you had specifically?
Not OP but also debating between 2015 MBP or the Blade

>Not OP but also debating between 2015 MBP or the Blade
I was recently doing this as well and ended up getting the 2015 MBP because I don't care nearly enough about gaming on a laptop to get the Razer

2 or 3 months ago. First one had a fan malfunction that made it loud, they replaced it but this one overheats a lot, crashes out of nowhere, and windows explorer often uses 100% of the cpu and crashes everything. Maybe it's my windows installation but still it sucks

Yeah I don't envision myself as much of a pc gamer but I'd value the ability to do CAD/rendering on the go (job I'm starting next year will likely involve significant travel each week) and have started some machine learning + neural net side projects that are a real pain to run on my current 2011 MBP (lol)
Sounds obnoxious. You'd hope everything would work properly out of the box at this price point...

I heard it was supposed to get a 1050ti or something.

>6hr battery life
>good

kek

Fucking top kek. You just obliterated the last few people that took you seriously.

And 2016 has been great for ultrabooks — the Dell XPS 13 and Razer Blade Stealth of this year are top tier.

>replying with anime

you sure showed him, virgin