/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

goldenears.net/board/5760942
goldenears.net/board/2830400
discord.gg/jDUKh2j
mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-version-3-bass-model/
modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw bought lcd-2s for $500 usd.

Am i audiophile yet?

I got like 3hrs left I think until deal ends, so I'm buying

Reposting from previous thread only because I'm a faggot. Was considering these but unfortunately won't be able to purchase anything for a few weeks. (Fuck cops and speed limits)

>Budget
50-80$. If there are any headphones that you absolutely recommend and are just outside of this price range I'd love to hear it
>Location
US
>Source
HP Pavilion Laptop
>Type
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Gotta be able to wear em for long durations. Maybe 1-2 hours
>Sound Signature
Have no idea. If it helps, I'll be using them primarily to listen to music, not interested in gaming. I'd prefer them to have a mic attachment if possible.
>Past headphones
Never owned headphones before but the JVC HARX-700 were recommended to me a while back.

Thanks

If I use the Neutrik RT3MP (pic related) for a detachable cable mod, will I be able to use any 3pin female XLR cable?

>(Fuck cops and speed limits)
Speed tickets don't have to be paid immediately, you know...

First for MSR7.

>no deals on XPT100
fuck, any decent closed cheaper alternative?

hows the akg k92?

Monoprice Premium Hi‑Fi DJ Style Over‑the‑Ear Pro Headphones

~20 dollars

sound good and you can't tell the difference unless you have baby virgin ears

use the money you saved for shit that matters

Sony mdr-V6 or 7506
Ath-m40
HyperX cloud IIs (takstar pro 80)

Hey Ive got a bit of an unusual situation here. I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones for my grandmother. Her hearing is horrible and having her tv on full volume all the time is an issue for anyone who isn't almost deaf. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many reviews on wireless stuff in the wiki's guides.

My budget is up to 300.
I'm in the US.
Source is a tv set.
Full sized
Closed
The comfort level needs to be excellent.
Whatever sound signature makes voices easy to understand.

Really high sound quality isn't important with her hearing. As long as it's decent and doesn't cause issues with understanding voices it's good enough. Also I need to buy an analog to Bluetooth adapter as the tv is a little too old so any suggestions for one would save me some time. It has analog and optical outputs for audio.

seconding

mids and highs are helpful for vocals and old age
i dont really know wireless headsets though
if you're doing a bluetooth audio out from the tv (not really sure how that would work) I say just get something that's notorious for highs (maybe some grados?) and do a removable cable on there and plug in a bluetooth receiver. that's a little convoluted but it'd be really sweet to do that kinda work for a gift, i think.

there are several wireless headphones specifically for watching TV, some work by radio frequency, some by bluetooth.

Thanks for the brand suggestion. The tv doesn't have bluetooth so I need a transmitter to connect to it.

Are the radio frequency ones as good as the bluetooth? I had a cheap pair of those a long time ago and the things were awful and highly prone to interference.

Are these worth getting while they're on sale?

I have no experience with them. All I know is the RF transceiver thing plugs into the tv's outputs and doubles as a charging station for the headset. I think bluetooth versions work the same way.

to add, the couple of pairs I see on sale at amazon claim "intereference free", but no idea what reality would be.

Yep, you're definitely stupid. Enjoy your neck while it lasts.

>he actually wears ear fedoras

>he actually cares what other people think of him

>Sealed supra-aural

That entire category of headphone sucks.

You better hope the amperior shill doesn't read this

What's he gonna do? Listen to his shit headphone in discomfort at me?

I should start off by prefacing i want something that's centered around games, since i don't want a headset i don't have any idea where to look.
>Budget
60-120$ i can budge a bit though
>Location
U.S.
>Source
Desktop audio jack
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very, wearing for hours.
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Beats and afterglow ag7, because i got them both dirt cheap.

btw i want neutral right?

K550/K550 mkII are your best bet. Pretty much the best closed back headphones for gayming, even compared to higher priced headphones.

You tell us? Not everyone finds neutral better, and what neutral even is varies wildly. Really you just want something that is relatively balanced, then you pick a flavour from there. Just avoid anything very coloured.

What is an 'ear fedora' whatever is not Beats or you just mean 'haha i made up a nickname for headphones' haha

which headphones have the best soundstage?

The masterrace, my friend

filename says it all

Bluetooth IEMs with a neutral signature for under $150? I don't think anything like this exists yet unfortauntly.

i thought it was a joke but that second sentence seems pretty serious

question to everyone who wants wireless:
why? i don't really ever catch myself wanting to be wireless, much less needing it.

It's convenient when you're moving about. At the desk or just chilling stationary in bed or something wired are fine.

i've never tried any wireless anything. maybe i should, i do a lot of walking around town for work.
I've heard bluetooth headphones before though and they sound like muffled ass

You had some shitty ones. Try Jaybirds. It may not seem like much but when you ditch the wire connecting your phone to your head you'll feel less restrained. Microphonics are also very low, if existent at all.

>Budget
~$200 But I'd like to spend around $100

>Location
Murica

>Source
phone w/ viper/audioFX & z02 amp

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
As comfy as it can be 8+hr usage

>Sound signature
Lots and lots and lots and lots of bass. (warm with a FAT bottom end)

>Past headphones
m-audio q40
xb500
mdr-v6

Only thing that comes remotely close to what I'm looking is the HA-SZ2000 but I'm reaching out to you guys for alternatives.

>Budget
$800-$1200 usd

>Location
australia

>Source
audio-gd nfb11
massdrop objective 2 9v rechargeable batteries and phone

>Type of headphone
iem

>Open or closed
closed preferred

>Comfort level
prefer sound quality over comfort

>Sound signature
v-shaped/mid-forward

>Past headphones
stax srs-2170, dunu dn-2000j, ttpod t1e

Thoughts on A&K Angie II? Looking for new multi-driver IEMs that doesn't have the splashy cymbols/highs of the Dunu's. They're on sale until the 29th for $1200 USD locally. They were $1500 before. It's cheaper on Amazon but won't ship to where I live. I have some Stax SR-003MK2 coming in the mail for $200~ USD but I have a feeling I want the Angies after. I can always order the Angies next year or I'm keen on ordering a FitEar TG334. Thoughts? Angie v1 measurements goldenears.net/board/5760942 and SR-003MK2 measurements goldenears.net/board/2830400

Anything around 100 bucks? Closed and strong mids/highs preferred, but should do all kinds of sound well.
Been looking into ATH-M50x but reviews say they are kind of weak for acoustic.

take the chance with the meme 598c

nvm i dont care if closed or open but thanks I'll look into them

Hyperx Cloud II are on sale in my country. Considering sound quality are they worth it? or should i go for studio headphones? I was considering getting some Shure SRH440, these are some what cheaper than the Cloud II.

I just bought the memephones...

the recent memers
or the old-guard memes?

Would there be an appreciable quality improvement coming from the stock Apple earpods to Brainwavz Delta or should I go for a more high end IEM?

M50?

The brand new, hot-off-the-press meme - the one, the only, the 598C!

very good, let it flowwwww
You're going to want something more durable.
Higher price doesn't equate to more durable IEMs, so this will be tricky to navigate.
Dropping the SoundMagic E10s just because I've done bad shit to them and they still work great.
Plus they sound good.

are the bt990 pros good?

So im in the market for a new gameing pc i was looking at the revolt 2 pro with 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i7-6700K w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection .DDR4-3000 ADATA XPG 16 gb. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB - ASUS TURBO MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Mini-ITX -- Wireless AC + Bluetooth, 4x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0. 800w power supply .240 GB Kingston HyperX Fury SATA-3 SSD. if you wanna talk more discord.gg/jDUKh2j

After the Deltas notoriously fragile or something?

Admittedly, came to that conclusion after skimming first 5 pages of the revs on Amazon and other sites.

If you like heavy as fuck bass, and need on ears for portability, yes.

I have XB400's that i use on my daily commute. Pretty decent cans. Just wish they folded.

Those look better built than the lower end models too, not that theyre built poorly anyway.

>Budget
Below 60$

>Location
Not important, overpriced everything over here so I'm buying through Amazon

>Source
PC

>Type
Preference for Over-ear or On-ear

>Open or Closed
Closed

>Comfort level
I'm sure I shouldn't be asking for this at this price

>Sound sign.
Flat/Neutral if possible, if not then a slight V

I've been looking at the AKG K52, HD202II, ATH-M30x and some Phillips but I'm unsure of what to get. I will use them for gaming and newbie-tier audio prod. (learning).

I also feel more comfortable with Over-ear/On-ear than having my ears raped by an IEM, but if there's no good alternative then, how's the 20$ In-ear Brainwavz? I was looking for the HM5s but I currently cannot afford it.

Hmm the E10s are twice the price where I live ($35A vs $69A) but I know they're pretty lauded. Might scrape together some more change and grab them.

Brainwavs HM5's are your best bet in that budget.
Or M40x with HM5 pads.

You want soundstage for vidya gaems, since that gives you a lot better of a sense of distancing. Imaging is also a factor, but most headphones in that price range are all pretty similar on that front.

Best way to achieve good soundstage is distanced drivers, typically using thick ass pads. HM5's are exactly that. Comfy as all fuck too. They're the standard go to pads for comfy and affordable mods.

HM5's are neutral, and M40x are nearly neutral. Just slightly V-shaped.

Hyper X Cloud Core's + HM5 pads are also an option. They're moderately V-shaped, and have a detachable mic if you ever want that. Built well too, but look pretty ugly if you care about that.

X1/X2's are good, ATH-AD???X series are also great.
558/598's again are also good.

DT-770's
Fucking amazing low end, comfy as fucc velour earpads.
M50x with HM5 pads could work too, but their highs are a bit much, even when compared to beyers.

HD 558/598's are the best bet for open if you can get them for a good price.
Modding 558's make them sound identical to 598's and theyre cheaper.

i liked em yea
i traded for 880s and i like them more though

440's are pretty shit.
Cloud II's are pretty good

440's have abysmal comfort stock, but you can buy replacement pads if you want.
Clouds have Decentpleather pads stock, and include velour pads, but can be replaced with HM5's and others in the future if needed.

440's are also quite bright. That said, their mids are very nice and crisp. Bass is a /bit/ lacking.
Cloud II's are slightly V-shaped, which is okay. The mids are still perfectly clear and present. Bass bleeds a bit into upper midbass.

440's are a lot more portable due to folding properties.
Cloud II's are decently large cans. Theyre built well but that results in them being somewhat unweildly for portable use. Similar to Beyers.

Also, if youre not using the mic function for anything other than shitposting via voice chat, and youre not going to use the velour pads, you can get the original Clouds for a decent bit cheaper. They sound the same too. The 7.1 USB adapter on the II's sucks massive ass as well.

Reposting since I made some modifications and I didnt get many opinions last thread.

I'm probably going to end up purchasing some nice closed cans sometime in the near future. Just scouting out at the moment some good options.

>Budget
$200-$350 USD
>Location
Australia
>Source
Schiit Stack
>Type of headphone
Full size.
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Insanely important, but that said, If pads are removable i could easily put some ZMF pads on there and be happy.
I have a fucking massive melon, so that may be an issue. I've had to use my Cloud Cores on the max extension for them to fit right.
>Sound signature
Decently low end heavy. Prefer good extension and kick rather than raw amount of bass though. Don't want a bright headphone either. No Beyers.
>Past headphones
HD 598's, HD 600's, M40x, MDR V6, DT 770's

Recently sold my HD 600's after I acquired a pair of studio monitors that sound miles better, so that is why I don't need/want open headphones. Sometimes a man just needs some isolation.
All my other headphones I've sold in the past for upgrades or just for shekels.

Currently have Hyper X Cloud Cores with HM5 pads. Sound good, and built well, but I'm getting a bit bored since my studio monitors outdo them in all regards.

>TLDR;
Looking for large, comfy, decently bass heavy closed backs.

>Cs back at $150
I hope I made the right decision and didn't get memed on, lads.

What's wrong with your dt 770s? That sounds like it should cover your needs.

Too bright, and I'm looking for isolation. 770's with velour pads dont offer enough of it.
Want better sound in general too.

Also the fact that I sold them.

some fostex? t50rp mkiii has a bass model
looks like a small discount too
mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphones/fostex-t50rp-mk-iii-version-3-bass-model/

got the 598 CS, it sound alright but the wire is way too short.

Fuck having spend extra $20 to a long one ;_;

598 seems to be well above 100 around here and 558 are tough to come by, damn

Is it worth getting the memephones if you wear glasses? Aside from the comfort issue, I also feel like them breaking the seal would destroy the sound.

>Budget
$150
>Location
U.S.
>Source
MSI Z170 Krait Gaming x3 or I can purchase a e10k (wouldn't be factored into price)
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
I'd like them to be pretty comfy
>Sound signature
I like bass, but I would like it to be somewhat natural.
>Past headphones
ath-m50x memes I hate them. Not comfy at all

How is 3 meters too short?

Which headphones have the sturdiest cable?
I'm a fucking retard so I tend to break shit very easily.

T50RP arent closed completely, and they have issues with thick pads, especially ones like HM5's or ZMF pads.

i feel bad for the people that bought the 598 Cs

Why?

You don't really have many options within that pricerange. Best [and sort of only] option is Sennheiser 518. The pads aren't as good as 558/598 pads, but you can replace them if you want.

The Cs version is significantly inferior to the open back version. the only reason to get the 598 is for the soundstage it offers at this price point. The Cs raises the bass and muddles the sweet midrange of the open back while making the highs peaky and nasty. Considering that the 598s were sold for 99 last black friday, it doesn't present a good value for the money.

considering the 558 were $80, the 598 have never presented any sort of good value for money at any discouint.

Isn't the hd 598's better than the hd 518's? Also what about the ah700, and ah900x?

yep

Yes, the 598/558's are better in some ways, but they are somewhat light in the low end, which it seems what you don't really want.
The 518's are a lot more low end heavy and warm.
And I assume by 'ah700/900x' you mean the ATH-AD series
The AD series is even more bass light than 558/598's

There really are so few affordable open low end heavy headphones.

I ordered the ath-m50x, how badly did I fuck myself over? It'll arrive today.

Badly. Sloppy low end, and unpleasantly bright highs.
Also uncomfortable as all fuck.

Velour HM5 pads and some filters/dampening would fix them, but you should have just gotten M40x + HM5 pads.

Return while you still can.

I live in europe, so i can return it the coming two weaks. I have tried my friends and its amazing, fits well and the velour pads do indeed improve it. Thanks for the meme.

Meze Classics 99

Seem to have quite a few comfort issues based on reviews. No go for me unless I can put ZMF pads on them.
Cups look really quite shallow too.

Then go with Oppo PM3 or some high-end closed Shure.

PM3's are too small and Shures arent as heavy in the low end as I'd like

Missed the discount have we?

Then you're looking for a headphone that doesn't exist.

Yes, I'm sure out of tens of thousands of different headphones that exist in the world, none fit my criteria.
Fuck off.

At the moment theses are the most promising.
modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon

Also looking into other T50RP mods. Bother DIY and prebuilt like Talos and Mayflowers.

Those look and sound like shit.
By throwing away the DT770 you basically excluded one of the best closed headphones in production now.

>Budget
Around 100€, max 150€

>Location
Germany

>Source
Focusrite Saffire pro 24

>Type of headphone
Full size over ear

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Should be fairly comfortable

>Sound signature
Neutral, but doesn't matter that much. Won't use them for critical listening.

>Past headphones
I have a pair of DT880 Pros, which I like very much. I am looking for a second pair that isolates outside noise better.

I was thinking about either the DT770 pro or ATH M50x. Are there better choices?

>Those look and sound like shit.
Don't care how they look
Somehow I doubt you've actually ever heard them either

>By throwing away the DT770 you basically excluded one of the best closed headphones in production now.
Except for the part where I said I don't like them. If they had less high end a little less low end, I would consider them again after some ZMF Eikons, but I'd still rather find something more interesting.

M40x are better than M50x. Most of /hpg/ will tell you the same
Both need new pads. HM5 pads are 23 USD on MP4nation, and are the best option.

An even better option is Brainwavz HM5's
Neutral and incredibly comfortable. Costs around the same as m40x with HM5 pads.
M40x are foldable, but HM5's are better built overall.

770's are a good option if you want heavy V-shape, but you seem to be heading towards neutral more based on your answers.

Does rap/pop music still sound good in open headphones? Been considering getting the ad900x for gaming, but I listen to these genres a decent bit, I also listen to a lot of other genres though.

Depends on your sound preference, but the ATH-AD series is quite lacking in the low end, so rap especially might sound quite lacking in body.
You can remedy this to an extent with EQ though.

Might want to take a look at 558's. A bit more low end with a trade off of slightly poorer imaging. Width is still fairly competitive to the AD's tho.

> Retails for three hundred and fifty us dollars (350)
> You have to pick which cable you want iOS or Android, because they couldn't be bothered to include both
> Flimsiest looking cable I've seen on a pair of headphones
I would expect this kikery from some shitty 60 bux Sony headphones but from a 350$ premium product?
Holy fucking shit I guess this is why they call them mementum.

>Australia getting fuck all for headphones
Not that I wanted to get anything anyway.