/wt/ - Watch Thread tuning fork edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Br05rpHmtj8
youtube.com/watch?v=bCGKJAzBnuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah I don't see many newer Explorer I's for cheaper than about $5000.

Price wise, it seems like the best reputable dealers online are going to be Bob's Watches and Beckertime, but their inventory of Explorer I's goes really fast.

JUST FUCKING SEND THE WATCH ALREADY
REEEEEEEEEE WE'RE LIKE A MILE AWAY

?

I just got my first non peasant tier job and I want to buy one of these because of deep blue's BF 40% off sale. Am I retarded?

I'm worried that it's fuck huge and I'll hate it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Br05rpHmtj8

>45mm diameter
>54mm lug to lug
Unless you have 8"+ wrists, it's gonna be too big.

Thick dogshit m8.

Why not get something with a retained value and some class like a Tudor Black Bay?

I personally went with the nato diver but Deep Blue in general seems to be a great company
Go for it
>tfw a doxa now. It's never going to end is it
not my pic btw

What model is that?

I bought a SARB033 (the AUTOMATIC meme).
Ended up trading it not too long after.

Because after import taxes and maple syrup conversion the deep blue is a week's pay and a tudor is minimum of 5x as much, also couldn't give a shit about value I like how it looks.

Yeah it's too big, maybe a good thing otherwise I would've bought it and had peasants regret.

I'm also looking at something like this.

If you're keen on DB, get the nato diver
Otherwise if you're looking for a smaller diver, save up for the 40mm Oris Aquis.
The Seiko Turtle is also an option, although it's on the bigger side.

Doesn't have to be DB, just that I trust a US based manufacturer over random chinese or internet shit any day.

I don't like the nato diver dial at all; would much rather have rectangular batons. Looking at the DB daynight divers but even these guys are thick as fuck.

You need to understand that you're looking at a professional diver that goes below 200m. 15mm really isn't that thick in this case.
Don't fall for chinkshit memes, unless it's Tisell, just avoid it.
Look into the Aquis if you want a small diver. Otherwise I would say that dive watches are too big for you.

Are there any divers that rival the nomos one in thinness? That is the only really thin dive watch I can think of.

staten island bro?

Maybe a Nautilus? The Atlantik is one of a kind really.
Again, thin and divers don't go well together.
Just get a water resistant watch and that'll be the end of it. You don't need a diver. I recommend a SARB.
Nah Brooklyn. I would make fun of S.I but the whole city is a fucking shit-hole.
Glad I'm gonna be dorming in Albany for grad school, really getting sick and tired of this place.
>tfw the N train in the morning.

>mfw going to my rotation at bellvue on the bus at 5am this semster
>every seat is broken on the bus
>get off
>homeless people everywhere
>streets smell like piss

fuck this fucking city, it it wasnt for the Rangers and Yankees I wouldn't give a fuck

cant wait to move to rural nj

Med?
My pharm rotations are probably going to be at Mt.Sinai. Not looking forward to that. That's going to be like 2 years from now though so whatever.
I'm most excited about getting that pharmacy intern license. I'll finally be able to afford shit.

RN, we may have had this discussion before.. I decided I couldn't do retail pharmacy and went to nursing school instead. CVS is for a lack of a better term cucking all their pharmacists, no bonuses and the pay out of school isnt what it used to be.

I do know from my part time pharm tech job that pharmacy interns make bank, like $16-19 an hour.

Good luck senpai, I would suggest any company but CVS, a good independent in an ethnic community in brooklyn might be good. The pay is better but you may have to do your own benefits.

I've been hearing that rite aid and costco are the way to go; the latter especially because you get free lunch. I'm not even joking, Costco food court pizza is enough to make me work there.
Are you going to continue and do NP? I doubt you want to stay as an RN your whole life.
How far did you go with pre-pharm anyway?

The pre-req's are the same mostly up until organic chem and bio chem. I did microbio, chem 1 and 2, and the other pre-health stuff while working at CVS. I couldn't take being in the pharmacy anymore so I switched.

In NY as soon as I have 1 year of practice as an RN I can begin taking NP classes. So that's the plan. If you work 3 12's you can go to school in between.

also big bonus for Costco is they aren't open Sunday, every other pharmacy is and you usually rotate weekends as I am sure you know

pic sort of related, what I want to get sometime soon as a gift from me to me for my hard work

Might be picking up this qt.

why would you buy a fake zenith?
or a real zenith for that matter

Very fine taste user. What's the reference number?

Comrades?

Want to get a nice light brown leather strap for my 556i. What would you guys suggest for max $40, preferably less?

I knew a guy who had the left one and the right one.

>that hand
UNDERAGE GET OFF MY Sup Forums

Never liked sinn, i can't recommend any strap for it since nothing looks good on it.

Maybe I am that guy?

Any US made dive watches that are around $1000 and less than 40mm?

If not il probably buy a chris warden, unless you guys have another suggestion.

The nomos ahoi is a water resistant watch, but not a diver.

There are no US made watches.

:(

I guess britian is our closest ally.

wuts up w/ those two le big a$$ reciprocating masses my family

looks very energy intensive tbqhwu

Our horological commander has died, how does /wt/ feel?

Pretty sexy.

:^)

RIP in peace, only he had the balls and the cash to wear a submariner and a datejust at the same time.

>Our horological commander

While admittedly Castro took the pledge against the shitter wrist watch, he really had no brand or stylistic variety. Plus he was a spic so he can't command anything.

Good riddance

Let's not forget him giving out Rolex's to all of his commanders, including two GMT master's to Che.

Do it!

Is vostok good quality?

it's typical russian quality. strange design with odd idiosyncrasies but it works as specified.

They are extremely rugged and will probably outlive you. They aren't particularly accurate, although I think they can be if you regulate them.

That's the SARB bracelet you get with a 033 or 035 and fits the 017 and a couple other models as well.

The oris diver 65 looks pretty thin, too bad it's much more than I'm willing to spend.

youtube.com/watch?v=bCGKJAzBnuE

Stop being poor.

>100m

read, nigger

Are you impying he will be diving past 100m? Because he won't.

i'm 19, just got baby wrists (and hands)

My granpa passed and i got this from him
Is it of any value?

Was the blue one a limited edition or what, its not on their site and its the most aesthetic imo.

What size is tgat, the 38mm?

Rear
It works btw

Did he ever justify that?

Castro was such a cunt

I tried to ask in the other thread-

What's the best price range I can hope for when looking to purchase a Rolex Explorer Ref 214270 (with the lummed numerals)?

It's a Soviet Molnija pocket watch, they were mass produced and you can find decent ones for 20-40€ on eBay.
Are you a slav?

>What's the best price range I can hope for when looking to purchase a Rolex Explorer Ref 214270 (with the lummed numerals)?

Literally the first post in the thread senpai

I don't think it was a limited edition, it's discontinued though. I got one of the last ones on clearance.

It is the 38mm yeah, it might be worth waiting a while as I think they are about to rebrand the Trident range with the new logo. It might lose the textured dial though.

Oh shit.

Thanks.

I guess I'll wait a year or two before I go for it.

Well you dodged a bullet with orgo and biochem. Misrable classes.
And good taste on the black bay

>Chr. Ward
>Literally the fashion watch of automatic divers

Why the fuck you guys keep shilling this shit?

That kind of sucks, the waves are cool. Cant wait to see the chr.ward go, its stupid.

What does that mean? They look nice and seem to have solid reviews. And the price is a lot easier to swallow than a rolec

Hey /wt/

Do you think I could pull off a 42mm Flieger, or should I stick with 40mm size? (pictured Amphibia has a 40mm diameter)

Even more text on the dial

Can that one faggot stop shilling deep blue? Go promote your shitty company in youtubes comments or something

i think you should stick with 40.

fliegers tend to look bigger optically than divers because the dial goes nearly all the way to the edge of the case.

plenty of good flieger choices in the 40mm size.

>And the price is a lot easier to swallow than a rolex

But a used Rolex will maintain it's value and likely go up in value over time, whereas a Christopher Ward is worth barely after you buy it (particularly in the long term), and it's often not worth the (sometimes significant) repair bill it would have if something went wrong.

You can think of a Rolex as getting to use it for free, because if you buy it and sell it right you can easily break even and very often make money. Alternatively if you spend, say, $1000 on some ETA dogshit then that's basically a guaranteed $1000 that you've lost.

Clean your god damn orange strap.
Between the holes.

I didn't realize OM was so affordable, it easily looks like a 1k+ watch. Too bad they are perpetually sold out.

Hopefully early next year user.

Some people buy watches they want to keep user

That's the even older version.

What does the new version look like?

the memexplorer is huge

Small wristed SARB035 owner from the last thread, here's the MDV106 on my wrist

Nice Poormariner you got there.

It's watches like these that make me want to spam these threads with pictures of dogs assholes as they try desperately to push out dry, painful, steaming shits.

Sounds like you literally have shit taste

Should I? I want a cheap mechanical chronograph but I don't like soviet or Chinese shit on the dial

As long as you don't expect anything like quality and count on the movement breaking quickly. It's the cheapest mechanical chrono you can buy is about the only good thing you can say about it.

Is it really? Compared to the 55mm lug to lug DB deepstar that I posted before?

It hasn't been revealed yet but they are slowly introducing the new logo like on pic related across the range. Not sure if it'll be at 9 o'clock like that or 12 though.

That's why the keep having clearance sales.

The civilian variant of the 3133 is bretty good.

It's 42mm I think, the lug to lug is quite long though if I recall.

Their new logo is fucking disgusting, I don't know what they were thinking.

They need to just pick one and stick with it. That will be the third logo they've had in their short history.

It's not going to go to you. It'll ship to another state or two, then make its way back.

Ordered some perlies.

Should I get pic related for 35€ or below?
I've had a lot of slavshit since I'm interested in watches but never a Poljot with alarm. It looks nice imo and has indeed an interesting. mechanical movement

Looks like a fucking turd. There are way better looking Poljot alarms.

Fuck, and I thought it had an objectively attractive design and colour combination. Honestly all the other poljot alarms I've seen look like real turds to me.

Here's my most recent pickup, traded in the nodate SubC for a Sea-Dweller 4000.

What exactly is the appeal of those shitty dial indicies? I don't understand why normies like these watches.

It's so weird to see a date Rolex without the magnifier. Chinky tier.

>that white date wheel

It's a tool watch. You need to see the indices when you're diving underwater. Big lumed dots are the easiest things to see. Would you rather them be squares, triangles, what?

such poorfag butthurt

Or you could actually buy a good looking Rolex, there are plenty to choose from.