/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Alright, you know the drill:

Previous thread: Post your questions that don't deserve their own thread here.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do VPNS work?

What's the best paid VPN for posting on cuckchan?

Is it a retarded idea to use pgp to generate passwords?

windows 8 or windows 10 with shut up windows 10 and spybot antibeacon?

can I use a display port to hdmi for a two monitor set up? I bought two samsungs and they only have HDMI and some analog input. So it would be display port from the GPU to the hdmi in the monitors.

My PC wont read the SD card I use for my 3DS. Tried the SD card on my sisters laptop, no cigar. Seems like no other sd cards work either

W 8.1 or W7 Ultimate.

alright thanks

it clicking when reading some files, im backing it up now.

how fucked it is?

I had this in the other thread, but just to leave here:

Friend of mine has a HP EliteBook 840 G3 for work, and wants to use her monitors at home for more work. She has one already connecting to a VGA slot. If she gets another monitor that uses the DisplayPort, will it allow all 3 monitors (2 external and the laptop's monitor) to work? "Videocard" is the integrated Intel HD 520 (CPU i7-6600U). I have seen reports with similar situations saying it does work, but I can't confirm with hers. I checked the intel website for the i7 processor and it says it can potentially support 3 displays, so it is in the realm of possibility.

Any input or personal experience with this kind of laptop Sup Forums?

My font rendering is all messed up after updating FireFox, I'm using MacType if that makes a difference

Not in good shape but not in a great one.
The dont get seagate meme exists for a reason user.

Some damaged sectors reaching the zone where you must start backing up.

If they keep increasing move it to secondary duty to something simple like non important temporary file storage.

So I got a new PC a couple of days ago and I noticed that the USB ports left some scratches on my USBs (pic related is my Logitech Dual Action controller, which suddenly stops working, idk if from this). I also noticed some holes which I don't remember seeing. Can anyone tell me what's causing these scratches/holes. and how to fix it?

Holes are always there. I have a USB with the similar little imprints. It is part of the USB design. I believe it might be to allow for the slot to "grip" the USB and prevent movement.

You said new PC, so it could be that these slots are brand new and tight. So entering a USB and sliding it in and out might scratch the surface of the USB. It is a nonissue as long as it doesn't damage the connectors of the USB. Nearly all of my USBs have it from my new computers.

If you want some pics for reassurance, let me know.

So I just installed debian and it runs great so far, but l don't know how to install the flash package because I'm new to linux , can someone help me?

>inb4 kill yourself retard

The holes no idea but the scratches are something normal.

How would I go about partitioning and setting up the bootloader to have a Windows 10/Arch uefi dual boot?

I'm trying to setup wifi on debian. I don't have a de and only use awesome. How do I setup wifi with WPA supplicant and have it connect to wifi when I start my system?

This was reassuring enough, thanks for the help

The new drive is a WD blue,
I know about the segate meme now, but this has been going for 2.7 years so I cant really complain.

I guess it can be my dedicated torrent drive now

I've always held the belief that:
1. Torrenting new releases is totally unsafe
2. Torrenting movies released 0-2 years ago is pretty unsafe
2. Torrenting movies/tv shows/games/music older than 2-3 years old is safe

I've never thought to ask about it, but is this rule bullshit or is it generally true?

I can't say statistically if the rule has basis, but anecdotally I have my own personal experience would push me to agree with you. But I am not sure if I would agree with the ranges. I am more conservative, adding a year or two in regards to what is considered "safe". You also have to take into account the size and power of the movie/company behind it. I use to torrent without any sort of protection, and this rule kept me pretty safe for the most part. I got cocky and chased after a newer movie, and got sent a letter. It wasn't threatening or anything. Honestly, I could of probably kept with my habits, but I figured better safe than sorry, and started using a VPN. Even so, I torrent things so rarely both back then and especially now, using that rule plus protection seems to have worked well enough. No other letters since.

I don't know what your habits are and how you protect your anonymity on the internet or if you are using a residential connection or like a apartment/university connection, so your mileage may vary.

what do you mean by safe?

I just normally wait a day or two for a tv show to sort through the viruses

Honestly I've actually found seagate drives to be pretty reliable. Moreso than my WD drives.

I meant companies looking to pursue legal action.

Your computer and the VPN server do some fancy crypto to talk to each other in such a way that nobody else on the internet can figure out what you're saying to each other. Your computer sends everything that would go out to the internet to the VPN server. VPN server takes it and spits it out to the internet. When replies come in, it forwards them back to you.

If the VPN provider is trustworthy and keeps no logs and etc they provide a high degree of privacy. If they're untrustworthy they can log all your shit and see everything that your ISP would otherwise be able to see about what you're doing online. Welcome to the world of security where in the end you have to trust somebody, it's just a matter of who.

you'll have a hell of a time finding one that isn't banned, since you aren't the first person to have the idea of using some IP that isn't yours to shitpost.

Probably not. depends on how you're doing it though. Plenty of programs can generate passwords though, most password managers have a good one. and of course you can always just
head -c 16 /dev/urandom | base64

why do you want to do it with pgp?

should work fine.

just go ahead and do it, there's at least a 90% chance it'll Just Werk

no, really, you shouldn't be using flash. it's a massive security hole and last I heard it wasn't being maintained for Linux anymore anyway.

a friend overclocked his fx-8350, it sits at 4.8Ghz... ALL DAY

that shit ain't normal right? I've only ever oc'd intel, never bothered with AMD

He doesn't care as long as its cool but yeah, that's gotta be some wear and tear right...right?

>why do you want to do it with pgp?

Not so much that I want to so much as it was the first thing I thought of. From your username, to the site in question, message is the password itself. But a password manager sounds like it's ultimately a smarter proposition. Would you suggest any? I've heard good things about Keypass.

I mean as long as the voltage isn't too high it should be fine, but unless he has a golden chip, 4.8ghz on an FX-8350 probably indicates a pretty high voltage.

Gigahertz themselves don't kill a processor. It's all about the voltage. And heat—although excessive voltage can still kill a processor even with excellent cooling and temperatures.

>there's at least a 90% chance it'll Just Werk

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Got my fingers crossed when the monitor comes in. Thanks.

Can someone tell me why you'd ever want to encode your music as CBR?

From what I understand, VBR offers both better quality (bitrate can shoot above target when needed) AND smaller file sizes (bitrate can drop below target when unneeded, which is typically more often than shooting above target therefore leading to net bit savings compared to CBR).

Am I missing something, or am I right in my assertion that CBR encoding is completely obsolete outside of VOIP where an expected rate is useful?

Well, yes, that'll give you a strong password, but I wouldn't do it simply because it's like using the butt-end of a screwdriver to hammer in nails.

Keypass is a good password manager. It has a password generator and other bells and whistles. It's originally Windows software, but there are ports to Linux, Android, and I believe to Mac. It's not cloud-based or anything, the password database is just a file. This means you have to set up any syncing you want on your own, but it also means that you don't have to trust another organization with your passwords or transmit anything over the network, the file just goes where you decide to put it.

In modern times you're pretty much correct on this. For a long time though it was easy to find software and players and devices that got confused by VBR in various ways, though.

just realtime stuff (VOIP) and legacy decoders (that don't support VBR, at this point that only includes very old stuff)

Ausfag here, where's the best place to buy computer parts? Preferably retail to avoid postage.

How do you +1 threads around here? I see the catalog refreshing with different threads but I can't find an option anywhere to +1 any of the posts.

that's some advanced bait right there

Is there any way to just plug in an iPhone 7 into my desktop computer and browse/backup files manually? My computer is running Windows 7.

Is it even worth allowing DNS request to/from my VPN home server when it's only going to get connected by VPN clients for accessing the local file server?

I.e. the server has no requirement to open connections to the WAN.

What do people see in Poweramp? It's the most popular and lauded music player on Android, but I just took a look at the screenshots on the app store page and it's absolutely disgusting. It looks like something from the gingerbread era, and also like something that a Pajeet would cobble together with such a poorly designed and noisy interface.

I just watched Mr Robot and is it possible to become a cool hacker like him?

Do I need to learn how to program?

My current build. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU.

What do you guys suggest?

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Check the Debian wiki before asking: wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer#Installation

You're right, but people are slow to catch up. It's going to take a while before most people stop encoding 320k as opposed to V0. Same thing with WPS which has been proved to be completely busted security-wise five years ago, yet it still comes enabled by default on most devices.

she got wrecked by every race imaginable other than indians and im sure they wouldnt want her either

I upgraded to 1gbps internet and it randomly hangs whenever it gets close to 100% network usage (not always just sometimes). I do NOT use a router. Could this be a hardware issue or should I start complaining to my ISP?

where are you downloading from at 1gb per second?

I just did those nifty speed tests

can I simply copy all my files from old HDD data drive to new SSD drive, unplug the HDD, change the SSD drive letter to the old HDD one and everything continues to work as if nothing happend?

You probably need to upgrade the network drivers. Seen this issue on my dell precision m5510 when saturating the network connection with old intel drivers.

I'm trying to dual-boot Linux Mint and Windows 10, but I have some concerns:

>I used the Win 10 partitoning tool
>booting mint
>install
>"something else"
Here's the part after which I didn't know what to do:
>choose "unallocated space" (don't remember what it's called), which is my 25 GB partition
>create /root, /swap and /home
>You must have at least 1mb of available "boot space" (again, don't know what it's called), because if not my system may not boot correctly
>mfw I only have an sdb partition and an sdc partition and no sda
>mfw every 20 subs Dual-Boot-Tutorial pajeet has sda
Mind that I have a Kingston SSD with the name C:\ and a Toshiba HDD with the name D:\

thanks

Gigabyte 1060 6gb G1 or EVGA 1060 6gb SC?

pls respond

Posted this before and got some nice answers, but I want all the feedback possible and I weren't able to answer the counter questions (fucking job, seriously).

Q:
Can anyone recommend me a dumb phone? I just want it so I don't need to have my smartphone connected to the network all the time.

I've been eyeing the nokia 216, but what the fuck do I know?

/smartphone general/ is too smug to discuss feature phones. Tried there.

I just want it to be able to receive calls 24/7 without having my smartphone all the time connected to LTE.

> 9geg

Anyways, I just ordered something off of Amazon. How do I know that some of the proceeds will go to my charity once it goes through, or is that not how it works? I don't know whether or not I ordered through smile, what should I do in case I didn't? Should I just cancel the order and re-order?

144hz tn or ips monitor?
144hz ips are too expensive

What happened to desktop threads?

Ips if you can, TN if you can't.

So I have 2 HDMI monitors and one VGA monitor, all 1080P.

I have a Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P motherboard and a Sapphire 8GB AMD RX 480.

Latest drivers installed.

I have all thee monitos plugged in, but it only detects the one connected to the RX 480, not the HDMI output and the VGA output on the otherboard I/O,

Is it a BIOS setting I have to change? If so, i can't find it for the life of me. I'm getting desperate. Please help me?

Tried /wsr/ but no dice.

Hey! Can somebody Please post the link for Daz Loader
Everything Google turns up looks shady af for me

i can get ips, but not 144hz

Who is better: a mechanical engineer or a software engineer?

Assume they have equal IQ and background.

Do you actually miss those?

What kind of teenage question is this? Study whatever the fuck you're passionate about.

Where is are the integrated gpu settings in my bios? What the fuck?

>passion is not a meme

no I was just wondering where they went?

I want to die. I paid a lot of money on black friday to get multiple monitors and I've been trying to make them work for over two hours now. Please, anyone help?

>Nothing brings me joy.
Wow. You must be SMART and MATURE. Wow. Just wow.

They probably imploded over their own faggotry and reposting of the same shit over and over.

The first world is an implacable place to live, huh?

HELLO

can you recommend some some really small cases that can house full atx components.
I know Lian-Li has it's A-05 and it's front mounted psu. But I don't like that it has 5.25 drive thingies in the front - it looks kind of outdated.

I'm looking for something this size, under 400mm height.

Thanks

You may have to use 1 VGA and 2 ((ACTIVE)VERY IMPORTANT) Displayport to make your setup work.

>that expensive CPU cooler
>no GPU to be found

what the hell are you doing that requires that kind of cooling on a CPU?

Idk friend, not my pic, maybe the guy is waiting for his new gpu to arrive

What is the advantage of compiling program with clang cl?

is it possible to have switch, router, nas, web server, database server in one motherboard?

im thinking using VM and getting a 6 core proc and putting multiple pcie network cards giving each one its own physical core

dunno but is it possible, dont mind learning

What pathname do I use to set up Java on a USB? Trying to get notepad++ running Java. Worked before but need to do it again and can't remember how.

This is what I get when I try to set up the pathname for javac on a USB stick.
There is LITERALLY no reason why this should be happening.

Does anyone know of a way to make 4chanX NOT remove 404'd threads from the thread watcher? I want those links left up there so I can click them and go right to the archive.

try adding %CD:~0,3% before \java

Got it fixed.
Java needed to be in root for some reason.

Whats a good resource to learn OpenGL in C?

my mobo has 4 slots for RAM sticks. can i put whatever sticks i find to it or do i need to pair them or something?

you can, but you want to put the same sticks into the same colored slots.

Few days ago I was looking at some stuff in Firefox on my phone, went back to home screen and put my phone down, in the morning I found that it had used up about 40% of its battery. Is this normal behavior for Firefox? I thought it would slip into the background quietly and not do such a foolish thing.

Click the down arrow on the watcher, settings, auto prune

I am an idiot, thank you user.

I have a MX600 wireless mouse the wireless adapter broke, everytime i check online they almost coast hundreds of dollars for a fucking usb stick. Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement stick that won't break the bank?

what's the deal with OP3 not wanting to connect to LTE of 4G? My signal keeps bouncing between 3G and H on Tmo but doesn't seem slow?

I work as a developer for a relatively small company, few weeks ago someone managed to break into their servers and cause a lot of problems. Was eventually traced back to a vulnerability in code that I wrote. Now my boss says that they are going to dock all of the losses from this breach out of my pay because I am responsible for the vulnerability that caused it. Can they do this? It hardly seems fair. It's not as if I'm the only person who was able to look at that code before it went live.

You're lucky they're not suing you.

consult a lawyer.
since you are supposed to have a code review on everything before it goes live anyway there's no way you are the only one at fault.

might as well look for a new job right now.

Anybody know anything about HDMI switchers? What should I look for to be sure that I don't get shit quality or something? Seems like some might introduce a few artifacts.

GUYS THIS IS URGENT

well not really but how do I install the latest ubuntu on windows? lxrun /install get me ubuntu 14, how do i do 16?

I am about to buy a new laptop with windows 10 on it.
I really prefer windows 7 (not just because of the interface) so I would like to install that on top of windows 10.
Though, I am not sure if this is smart to do.
Or should I just put a Linux OS over it?
I am not experienced with coding, is it still better?

Check the manufacturer's website for win7 drivers for the laptop.
If they don't have win7 drivers- don't buy it, or don't install win7.

Will generic SO-DIMM ram work in my laptop?

What's the recommended mail client? Still Thunderbird?

how do i edit a variable i from a javascript file in css?

you don't.

I wanna fall for the Chromium meme but I don't know where to download and how to keep it updated. Care to help?