Decide to try Desktop Linux™ in 2016

>decide to try Desktop Linux™ in 2016
>try ubuntu 16.10
>mouse cursor is stuck in top left corner in livecd and installer
>try fedora 25 (4.8 kernel, wow)
>mouse cursor is stuck in top left corner
>try latest centos
>monitor turns off when the installer decides to use my integrated graphics card instead of the 1070

Maybe I'll try again next year. I'll keep Linux in my local dev VM and on my dev server at work.

(turns out the mouse cursor being stuck is a problem with nvidia's newer drivers... 16.04 doesn't have the problem because the 10XX series didn't exist then)

Did you try Solus?

You should try solus

Works on my machine.

OP probably has a 100 dollar gaymer mouse, never had this problem with any mouse in Ubuntu or Mint

>1070

why do you even want to run Linux, you're not gonna be able to take advantage of a gaming computer in Linux man

this is coming from somebody who uses Linux. Your gpu will waste away in the linux world

>what is vt-d

Inferior to just running your games in windows.

>try latest centos
>literally server distro
How in the world this one should work with your videoaccelerator?

>what is gpu passthrough

But Solus is the real desktop distro, Ubuntu is just a spin of a server distro with a shiny touch optimised desktop, Fedora is the testing grounds for red hat, CentOS is literally a server distro.

Solus was built from ground up for the desktop, why wouldn't you use that instead?

Fuck off kevin

Fucking stop buying nvidia hardware. It's your fault for supporting the most uncooperative and closed gpu vendor.

>He fell for the goyvidiya meme
LMFAO OP get fucked hahaha

Meanwhile 16.04 did not have wi-fi drivers per default. First time I had to use ethernet cable in years.

Meanwhile windows 10 anniversary memedate can't recognize my trackpad

install drivers, problem fixed.

Meant for

>0.01 Shekels have been disposed into your shill account

I love how you couldn't think of an account for him so you just settled on shill.

Very clever and creative of you

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I do not own a 1070 myself, but it should be supported.
The proprietary drivers is probably not be installed on the live image, but if that is all it takes to scare you away, just pay people to install software for you in the future.
Regardless of what OS, that is probably your best bet as they all can have that issue.

Solus doesn't have this problem.

>meming this hard.
A lot of tasks can be executed faster with a GPU.
Even if he is using ubuntu desktop as a server, he could have tasks which could use the GPU.

>nvidia drivers get installed automatically on w10
>haas trouble with linux distros

gee I wonder which way the company swings

Why would you bother wasting time with those?

You could have just asked us and then installed solus like a real normie.

nice memes.