Do PNY flash drives die after 5 years?

Do PNY flash drives die after 5 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

pny.com/support/technical-support/usb-flash-drives/firmware-update
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Most flash drives die after a couple years. You can extend the lifespan by filling them up before erasure.

Filling them up before you erase everything? Also if I am putting important stuff on a flash drive, what can i do to ensure it lives longer? If im about to spend 10 bucks on a 64g

regular defrags and regular zeroing out the whole drive

You shouldn't only store important things on a flash drive. Not much else you can do but limit cell erases. They don't use the best cells in a 10 dollar flash drive, surprise.

>defrags
>zeroing
>on flash medium
He is memeing. This directly kills the flash drive/ssd/sd. You are supposed to leave it alone, disk itself handles wear leveling and such.

So basically just dont delete shit

hmm

how about not throwing your flash drives at high velocities or running over them with your car? seriously have any of you retards even been as far as decided to have a flash drive die on you? I've never encountered one that died

Whats your point?

I had a 128 that died in literally a week. They refused to warranty it because I didn't keep the receipt even though I had the packaging and I couldn't return it because lolnoreceipt. Never again.

a 128 from pny? or what brand

woweee

Yes

Then you dont recomend the brand?

I've never had a flash drive die on me. I don't even take care of them.

Mine from 2007 still werks, don't use it much though

How do you "take care" of a flash drive?

I had a similar issue with a 128GB PNY drive. I fixed it recently after I found out there is a firmware update for the flash drive that fixed some stupid bug in their code and it now works again.

pny.com/support/technical-support/usb-flash-drives/firmware-update

I have a 1gb, that I bought I want to say 11 years ago now. I have a 512mb on the same keychain with it, that I got around the same time. Both still work fine. I don't use them too often, but they still work great. Just try to keep it around room temp in a dry-ish enviroment, should be ok. If it's something important, just buy a couple drives every few years. I really wish there were a more permanent, stable way to store things ( NOT online ).

There is. About 10 others ways.
Storage media has been around for a very long time

>I didn't have proof of purchase so I couldn't get my warranty.
It's your own fault

Same here, I am still using the same 512 MB Kingston drive I bought in 2006. Works perfectly fine, although I can't really store anything of consequence on it anymore. Mostly just spreadsheets and work files. For serious data transfer I got a 32 gig model I bought last year.

Tape, optical disc, pen and paper, stone and chisel

Do you keep your receipt on every $40 item you ever buy?

I still have a flash drive with 512 mbs of capacity that works

Until their warranty runs out. I'm a good little consumer :^)

I meant that I drop them a lot and they look like they've been in a bag of rocks.

My bug was different. It kept disconnecting and reconnecting constantly so you couldnt even wipe the damn thing. Shit was fucked.

Why not just a PNY. A lot cheaper. 7 bucks for 32.