it has science in name

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Hamming
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Calc 2 sucks though.

Why?
cs on better uni's has calc 3 aswell

Because they study CS because they watched Mr. Robot and the likes without having any idea what CS actually is.

Guy who majored in math here, gonna defend CS students on this one.

If they went into CS, they were good at working with computers, or liked computers, or didn't know what they wanted, really, or, god forbid,

>they just want to make gamess

But none of those things required or require much more math than basic algebra and that's okay; if you don't care about the math, you can go your entire life in a CS career basically ignoring it. There are lots of business problems that are wholly mathematically uninteresting but keep the world spinning.

I personally enjoy working in technical jobs and roles requiring the math that a lot of CS professionals missed out on because they are, in my opinion, more mentally fulfilling, challenging, and in them I'm less disposable because they're harder, but a CS major who doesn't want to deal with this stuff is just as much in the right.

Is there a way to be a CS major with a focus on harder mathematics? I love calculus and abstract math, and would enjoy implementing that with my love for computers and such.

>technical jobs and roles requiring the math
How would you go about searching for jobs like that?

I am getting my bachelors in CS, majoring in CS and minoring in pure math.

Almost all the job and internship postings I find are for run-of-the-mill business type web dev and database stuff.

What kinds of companies hire for more math-heavy positions?

In 20-30 years we will get enough cpu power to be able to automatize creatin software with the price of slighty lower performance.

While people with deep math understanding will get jobs at fields like AI and holographic/3d that require alot of math

all those pajeets cutting wordpress and web devs will be homeless

You can learn cs subjects and work but you are not going to understnad it without math.

You can work as network admin, but you are not going to understand deeply protocols without math.

If you were really as smart as you think you wouldn't need constant validation on anime internet forum. You're awfully average just like your peers you happen to look down on; overconfidence and inflated ego will ruin you, it's not too late to change your ways

>he thinks people post on anonymous board for validation

senpai...

double major in mathematics. It's like 5 extra classes in most universities

>just memorized the bare minimum required to do well in math classes for my CS degree
>got good grades but didn't learn any math
>tfw regretting that and feel that i robbed myself of a good math education

w-what can i do now

pick up a calculus book and start from chapter 1

I do not know about your country but in my country.

Uni first degree.
7semesters, around ~30h/week

CS and math degree have 6 similar subjects (calculus 1, 2, 3, linear algebra, statistic, discrete math) and it would take 1 semest to take it all (with 30h/ week). but other 6 semester on math is a completly different story

But i'm a huge fag and need someone to ask questions to for things that i need clarification on.

Would you know of any communities out there that have experts assisting math noobs? /sci/ wasn't very helpful for this

Start with linear algebra with geometry then move on discrete math, after you finish discrete math do book about algorithms (do algos after discrete math, its crucial or do both at the same time), then you can do statistic.

Linear algebra (matrices and shit) + discrete math are very crucial for cs student because shit on hardware level is using it. Programming is using it.

While calculus is also important you are going to use calculus when you will have to compute some stuff, but it will not make understanding of cs subject deeper.

You build a background in proof based mathematics, and go to grad school if you really, really like it, or continue self study if you're not sure.

Statistics and linear algebra at least for me had the biggest bang for my buck - recreate and understand proofs before moving on.

Lots of standard CS content is actually mathematic if you want depth. Kleinberg's algorithm's textbook doesn't hold back on the math behind the algorithm and has hundreds of very complex practice problems, and extensions of problems that get very math-y. Highly recommend if you want to improve your CS and math skills

Have the ability (hard part), and request transfer to teams that involve the mathematics and request management to let you develop and participate on technically challenging problems. Discuss what you want with company recruiters when applying and explain you have unique skills and want to have opportunities to use them. Transfer companies till you get what you're looking for if they fake you out.

Calc 2 is literally calc 1...

CE students have to deal with it too. I think physics was harder for my 20yrs old brian.

My uncle studied CS at MIT back when the program was all Lisp (who knows, maybe it still is). He said he took 4 semesters of calculus and never used it once in his entire career.

I have a mathematics degree and recently enrolled as a post-bac student taking CS courses to get into PhD programs in CS.

From what I've seen the most useful mathematics courses I've taken that have a direct benefit to CS are: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra (applied), mathematical logic and Statistics. I've seen abstract algebra applied a little bit to some programming concepts but not much beyond theoretical implementations.

Knowing proofs helps with understanding data structures/algorithms and theory of computation.

I believe all CS majors should take at the very least Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics and Abstract Algebra.

You're literally linking intro books. Did you even look at their names?

Just get a minor in maths you dingus.

because modern computing is a commercialized ancillary to high school gaymers with decent parents

CS students who complain about having to learn math are the fucking worst. My university has a special program for computer majors that don't want called 'interactive systems design', which is basically a CS degree with all the technical maths removed and in their place, have psych and philosophy credits.

Fuck people who don't bother to learn math in CS. They're the scum of the earth.

>I believe all CS majors should take at the very least Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability, Statistics and Abstract Algebra.

Agreed. But I have to say that after working as a software engineer for 25 years, it was linear algebra that was by far the most useful in professional practice. I didn't specialize in graphics, but I found myself doing various little 2D graphics projects occasionally where I needed to do things like rotate a vector by an angle. Also of equal importance to me was a course that I had in symbolic logic -- you definitely want to be fully up to speed on DeMorganizing a boolean expression, and stuff like that.

Maybe take some math classes....

I thought CS stood for CalculuS... shit. Anyone know a school near Michigan that offers a calculus degree?

counter-strike

>hating Sup Forums

These are the real idiots in CS

show some good advenced cs books, do not link knuth taocp because its more like repetitory/encyclopedia.

That's a math book

I had to take 3 semesters of calculus for a fucking biotech degree. I've literally never had to use it for anything. Who cares, it's easy.

Most AI development is done by pure mathematicians. All "programmers" do is apply the libraries the mathfags write.

Computer science : Software engineering
Physics : Mechanical engineering

They don't want to prove algorithms, they just want to build stuff with them.

Because as op stated, cs is about math, cs is subset of math, first great cs scientist were math prof.

Whole cs is math with a very large amount of abstraction that allow you on higher levels to use nice word instead of numbers.

No matter if you are resizing image or you are trying to choose the best routing protocol.

If you know math you can understand how it all work under sexy gui.

>it has science in name
Calculus isn't science
CLRS is more challenging material than any calc I text
Most CS students can hack it at whatever undergrad level math you throw at them, a vocal minority will just make a lot of noise about it.

>calculus degree

You mean maths degree? You won't get a maths degree with just calculus courses at any reputable university.

But beyond that, you can probably get a maths degree at most universities that aren't oriented on arts.

Nearly all of my classes from childhood all the way up to junior year of college were just memorization and repetition. My uni now requires computer science students to take a course in the math department (used to be a "bridge" class for math students to ease into higher math) that actually taught us thoroughly how to prove things (contradiction, induction, logic, etc.) as well as some theorems/fundamental concepts from linear algebra, analysis, etc. Learned more in that class that all my math classes put together. You give me a non-trivial double/triple integral or polar/spherical coordinate calc-2/3 shit and I can't do that anymore since it went out the window after final exams

nice, any other titles?

I am looking for something to enhance my cs math in free time

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

>You won't get a maths degree with just calculus courses at any reputable university

Well you could if you did something like this:

Calculus
Vector Calculus
Ordinary Differential Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Dynamical Systems and Chaos Theory
Linear Algebra (aka "finite functional analysis")
Topology
Real Analysis
Analysis on Manifolds
Fourier Analysis
Complex Analysis
Measure and Integral Theory
Functional Analysis
Differential Geometry

but you really should take a few semesters of Abstract Algebra if you don't want to be a total pleb.

Making games and wanting to get into CS next year. Most math I use revolves around vectors, trigonometry, and matrices. Calc is still good to know tho

wew. Be careful you might sprain a brain cell.

My calc 2 class had differential equations and infinite series. Where Calc 1 did not. That being said they were all okay.

>My calc 2 class had differential equations

t. brainlet

Why does anyone who isn't a pure math major learn calculus? You can just plug and chug that shit in Maple

Huh. At my school, I couldn't even get a math minor without taking at least a semester of Proofs and Set Theory; and the way Linear Algebra was taught had absolutely no calculus in it (they taught it with just matrices). And then most of the electives weren't based on calculus, either.

Because there's no way in hell you can understand certain topics in science (e.g., quantum mechanics) without understanding the math behind it.

To quote Hamming:

>The calculus is probably the most useful single branch of mathematics. ...I have found the ability to do simple calculus, easily and reliably, was the most valuable part of mathematics I ever learned.
>Understanding the methods of calculus is vital to the creative use of mathematics... Without this mastery the average scientist or engineer, or any other user of mathematics, will be perpetually stunted in development, and will at best be able to follow only what the textbooks say; with mastery, new things can be done, even in old,well-established fields.

>Increasingly... the application of mathematics to the real world involves discrete mathematics... the nature of the discrete is often most clearly revealed through the continuous models of both calculus and probability. Without continuous mathematics, the study of discrete mathematics soon becomes trivial and very limited. ...The two topics, discrete and continuous mathematics, are both ill served by being rigidly separated.
>You live in an age that is dominated by science and engineering. ...Thus if you wish to be effective in the world and to achieve the things that you want, it is necessary to understand both science and engineering (and those require mathematics).
>Any unwillingness to learn mathematics today can greatly restrict your possibilities tomorrow.
>Calculus systematically evades a great deal of numerical calculation.
>en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Hamming

Electrician : Electrical Engineer
Mechanic : Mechanical Engineer
Plumber : Chemical Engineer
Financier : Economist
Potter : Material Scientist
Computer Scientist : Computer Engineer
Monkey : Professional

God I love math, if only I was better at it and wasn't freaking out about finals for whatever math course every semester maybe then I would go out of my way to learn it even more. Even having passed calc 1-3 I still wish I understood it better.

t. CS major currently doing mediocre in linear algebra and math proofs class

I'm in a dual degree program with Math and cmpe. Someone said AI will take advantage of math background but is there anything else? Math Prof never explained many applications of abstract algebra.

Seasoned professional here. I had math modules at university but I've never, ever, ever needed to use that knowledge in industry. Why are professors so out of touch that they have to push this meme?

Also, college is a scam and I dropped out after a year but I still make great money.

You can't really understand classical mechanics without it

Applied math grad here

I took:

>intro automata
>algorithms
>linear algebra
>advanced linear algebra
>numerical linear algebra
>intro algebra
>intro proofs
>calc 1,2,3
>intro probability
>diff equations
>advanced calc (aka intro real analysis)
>other stuff

basically, algebra and the other pure math stuff has been useless to me. Aside from being able to read more math books, these classes did not help with my career ('data science')

going through only 1 linear algebra class - the same one that CS students had to take - is really really really bad. You learn very little that will stick through that one class, and most of it is handed to you without the 'why' or 'how'. It's just very formulaic.

Unless you go knee-deep in the shit that is known as numerical linear algebra, you're basically a monkey with a keyboard.

You'll basically never need calc 2, except for understanding other math classes beyond it. You'll definitely find situations where linear algebra can be used to shortcut problems, but you'll be too dumb to figure out how with just 1 class.

BUT

If you're only aiming to be a software engineer, then sure, you don't need that much math. Any more interesting career will need a shitton more than required by most university programs.

>You'll basically never need calc 2,

You've never used Taylor series?

Yeah, most of the classes will teach you stuff that will never have practical use. But society including potential employers still buys into it, so it's favorable to play along.

I dropped out, started making great money, then reenlisted to make even greater money.

To be honest, I would love to go back to university and just bum around on my own projects for a few years. However, I'm planning to retire within 10 years (By 40) on my current rate, so there doesn't seem a lot of point now.

This Taylor series is basically what I eat everyday.

College isn't job training. If you weren't looking to be educated, then you should not go to college.

>games
>doesn't require much more math than basic algebra

Pick one. 3D graphics is math fucking heavy.

Maybe if you're writing a renderer from scratch. Not with libraries, lad.

What would be an application of advanced calculus in CS?

No senpai.

3D graphics will shit down your throat. Best book on the subject is still some ancient biblical manuscript written 20 years ago.

>being a code monkey

>3d
>he doesn't write games for telnet
Pretty casual, senpai.

how do i get into physics with my limited cs knowledge? math by itself does not interest me very much.

I have calc 3 too

>it has science in the name
tell that to the woman giving the economics lecture included in the CS major here. My school teachers used greater precision than she does now.
I previously completed all the math courses of a borderline engineering/math major, these lectures feel like brainwashing to make me dumb.

schooling and regurgitation isn't education
it's also not 1960 anymore, a college degree is pretty much mandatory now in most remotely competitive fields in the first world

math is gay, i just wanna make games look at the pictures i drew. so like, this character is Xernicus and he shoots things and when he does they blow up and there's hella blood

Math is for faggots. I didn't take maths, only had business maths for a two semesters which I aced easily and now working full time as a manager.

You code monkeys are hilarious.

then find job at nsa/cern/nasa/esa if all math you need is addition to count amount of pixels in martial design then uni diploma is redundant

>never had issues with math
>still have to google shit because I forget everything I learned

How do I actually git gud?