pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/LEGO-City-Passenger-Train-7938/dp/B003A2JCQ8
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=33&switch=&size=Tenkeyless&led=8&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2C7OHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NOKS4V778KSL
youtube.com/watch?v=-A-vRZth7SI
keychatter.com/keycaps/#profiles
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why the fuck do keycaps cost so much i hate my life

hey /mkg/, so I've gotten into mech keyboards this year and now my dad wants one for Christmas. He used to give me shit for spending so much on MKBs but I guess I won him over. here's what he wants:

>Budget
$120ish or under
>Location
US West Coast
>Preferred switch type
"The easiest to press"; I interpret this as MX Reds
>Layout
"I never use the numpad"; TKL or 60ish with arrowkeys
>Backlight
He wants RGB
>Previous/current keyboards
He's never even tried one but there's no goddamn way he'd put in the effort to try one first. We're several state away, but I have a Pok3r RGB w Browns and I just bought the XMIT Hall Effect TKL Bamboo.

what'd you buy that you regret so much?

quality costs money

>He wants RGB
either your dad has autism, or you meant you younger brother

they are keycaps though. The materials and the process required to make key caps are equivalent to making lego blocks, they shouldn't cost more than then actual keyboard itself.
But as long as consumers pay the listed price, there aren't reasons to sell them cheaper I guess.

Whats the general consensus on Logitech g910 and their romer-g switches? I know its gaymur shit, but the keyboard is almost half price (80£) on amazon.

legos are made in massive quantities and don't require the same kind of tools as making keycaps does.

A lego brick of a given shape requires a single injection mold, with no processing after it has been cast. In terms of keycaps, a blank keycap would be equivalent to this.

blank or """ninja"""" keycaps are sometimes more expensive than the keyboard itself

Lego sets cost more than most keycap sets.

I think he thinks he'll change it to festive colors for holidays and shit, which he won't, but yeah maybe autism.

OEM or Cherry profile?
also best blank thick pbt dealer

What kind of blanks are you looking at?

And you, what kind of lego sets are you looking at? Most of the things I see on amazon are less than 30 bucks.

Cherry.

not replacement blocks.
only the muh Star Wars edition legos do.

>why the fuck do keycaps cost so much i hate my life
Can you type faster, more accurately or produce better quality code/text with the key caps?
If the answer is no, you do not need to buy keycaps.

Linus Torvalds maintains the Linux kernel with a standard Corsair mechanical keyboard. He doesn't use a custom lubed up O-ringed HHKB with Miami Keys, dildo shaped artisan escape key, braided cable and RGB LEDS

I'm comparing lego sets to key cap sets. The lego train this year is like $100.

>He doesn't use a custom lubed up O-ringed HHKB with Miami Keys, dildo shaped artisan escape key, braided cable and RGB LEDS
and Sup Forums still wonders why linux will never make it to the desktop

Though last I had checked he was using a cooler master.
What a pleb he has become.

amazon.com/LEGO-City-Passenger-Train-7938/dp/B003A2JCQ8
jesus christ what the fuck

This is not how I remember my childhood.

It's just modern day scalpers. They try scalp anything and lego shit is pretty high up there.

Except Bjarne Stroustrup and Richard Stallman both use HHKBs

can try this one out, MK Disco TKL RGB.

mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=33&switch=&size=Tenkeyless&led=8&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on

They use KBT switches and are based off ducky keyboards. The white-keyed ones are actually pretty cool cause the whole thing lights up.

What you'll think?

KBP V60, Cherry Black, Gateron Brown w/ Black spring on the spacebar

>Budget
None, I'm a rich bitch
>Location (continent at least)
Are there other locations besides America?
>Preferred switch type
Idk I'm not autistic. Something that is comfortable and not too loud.
>Layout
Standard American keyboard
>Form factor
80% but has to be wireless.
>Backlight
Not necessary
Thinkpad laptop keyboard

Help me out guys

>no numpad
>no f keys
>meme keycaps
Can we stop this.

what exactly constitutes a mechanical keyboard? Would a t420 have an inbuilt mechanical keyboard? It feels firm and clicky etc

Varmilo vb8m bluetooth version

Did you type that on your numpad?

Anything that doesn't use a carbon contact actuating mechanism is considered mechanical.

Do Topre or Novatouch keys have any sort of tactile feedback? All i know is they have that little thock sound

They do. The tactile feedback is done by the rubberdome.

So whats it like, a little bump like an mx brown?

Realforce feels linear to me. No idea why opinions like are parroted as much as they are.

It's very smooth till it makes that thonk from bottoming out. It's rubber so bottoming out is like on rubber membrane keyboards. The closest switch I could compare it too are Cherry reds.

But red is linear, these have some feedback dont they

or is it just unnoticeable?
maybe if I got thicker keycaps?

Its hard to explain. But in a normal membrane keyboard when the rubber dome collapses you feel a sudden change in force just before you bottom out. In topres on the other hand you do feel a change in force, but its completely smooth all the way down. The mushiness of rubber domes is gone, but if you have a lighter switch you may not feel the shift and instead compare it more to a cherry red.

>opinions

It's not an """opinion""" that the rubber buckles when it's pressed down

>But red is linear
Yes that's why I said it's the closest feeling to Topre.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is ignore anyone saying Topre switches feel like rubber domes in anyway other than how they bottom out.

Are you using 35g topre clones? I know that 55g Topre is hard to come by, but their is most definitely some tactile feedback.

shit
I got a good deal on a Topre but its 45g

If I put PBT keycaps would it help with the tactility?

Should I get v60 or pok3r with no back lighting?

I don't think so. You see the actuation point cannot be felt because of the nature of rubberdomes. There is also almost no resistance once the dome collapses making it really hard to not bottom out

I type faster and more comfortably with flat profile keys than standard profile, does that count?

Realforce 45g
The ABS vs PBT is preference. As long as they're high quality both are good.

>You see the actuation point cannot be felt because of the nature of rubberdomes.
You can because rubber domes need to be bottomed out.

Topre not using rubber domes do not.

pok3r has limited programmability, PBT keycaps, and a metal case, albeit its spray painted so it can ship off. v60 is not programmable, has ABS keycaps, and is made from plastic

Got my 610 mechanical MX Browns today, Sup Forums.

Very nice.

$300 keyboard
Woooo buddy

>$300 keyboard
its only $180+shipping. Where did you find that price?

threadly reminder the best keyboard ever made uses rubber dome technology.

hold on let me rephrase that. In topres you can feel the tactile feedback at the top when the dome colapses. However the actual actuation of the switch happens due to a 5g spring at the bottom. Since this spring is capacitive you can have varying distances of when the actuation point happens. This means that if you set it low enough you can't feel the actuation point since the dome has already collapsed.

the v60 costs like $40 less senpai

I don't feel this tactile feedback people are talking about. If it's there it's very small to the point of not being able to tell.

>Budget
100-130
>Location (continent at least)
America?
>Preferred switch type
Brown (tfw i like razer green)
>Layout
Standard American keyboard
>Form factor
80% pref
>Backlight
White Pref. Blue meh, Red ugh, RGB last resort
Logitech g110

Currently looking at:
max tkl
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2C7OHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NOKS4V778KSL

corsair k65 Lux/rgb/k70 Lux/strafe non rgb/RGB (RGB cause of white) I like corsair for the styles, if only they had the k70 Blue with brown switches

GMMK Modular ($70 "sale" price)

CM storm Rapid I (currently out of stock but not really fond of it)

Razer Blackwidow X TE (open box @ amazon for 80 something)

and it has less features. If you don't care about build quality, and a programmable keyboard, then just get an rk61 for 60 bucks

>tfw i like razer green
If you like Razer greens then why not get the switch that they are based off. You do know that razer greens are just re branded Kailh blue, which are just Chinese knock offs of Cherry Blues.

If you want a Rosewill rk9000v2 keyboard with cherry MX blues is still on sale for 60 bucks at amazon

oh i thought they were morelike browns then i dont want the razer green then rip

They all have the same build quality its just he poker has a metal case but its not like the metal matters at all when typing also the programmable keys are a fucking gimmick and can be software mapped on your computer

After using PBT keycaps I can no longer go back to ABS. Also software programming is very janky, but if $40 is really that important to you then go for the v60. It has more options and I'd recommend you go for the one with matias qc switches

I would like to have that keyboard.

No I typed it with my f keys

razer switched to Gateron like das

Nope. You can't even press them down. You just touch the keycaps and an internal microphone emits a "thock".

Not a "thock" sound, it's an actual human voice that says "thock".

That's how much of a meme topre is.

just like the new apple keyboard

Thats a pretty rubber dome keyboard fampai

It sure is.

Kind of a shame that I barely use it anymore.

>mfw waiting for my new keyboard in the mail

New Unicomp Model M. All other contemporary keyboards are inferior.

except model Fs are still being made today

except the mode Ms are loud and heavy and shit

Which manufacturer? I had one but left it at my parents before moving out and they got rid of it :'(

still better than all the cherry shit made today

How are Unicomps right now in terms of quality compared to finding a nice original IBM?
The retard that's charging like $1000 for them you mean? I thought he just refurbishes.

>loud
>heavy
"inferior"

>The retard that's charging like $1000 for them you mean?
Funny thing is that when the model F first came out it cost $1000 in today's money. The new model Fs use better materials then the originals, and cost less then half as much at around $350-400.

The surrounding plastic is not as solid as the old model Ms, however they kept the metal backplate, and kept the key thickness and buckling springs exactly the same as the old model M's. Typing experience is exactly the same. This one was made a month ago (sorry the date sticker is not in the picture).

This is a very good video review, but he is wrong about the keycaps. The cheaper ones use 1 piece, while the expensive ones are two pieces like the original.

youtube.com/watch?v=-A-vRZth7SI

Can I get a link?
That's good to hear. I kinda want one just to have.

thats some Apple Force touch shit right there

no joke apples getting people used to less and less travel with their keys and slowly replacing the keyboard with a touch screen

One other thing I disagree about that review, is when he compares the sound pitch of the 1985 model M. He is comparing a brand new one vs one that is used. The buckling springs will not be in the same condition and so pitch will probably differ.

there is a tactile bump at the top of the stroke
then the resistance is kind of flat unlike Cherry MX

what is it's replacement?
other than comfort, wouldn't that allow people to type faster

You can feel the home row and have to look at the keys when typing

good night /mkg/

night faggot with your meme keyboard

tfw still havent decided on what keyboard to get for "black Friday" probabaly will end up gettin a k70 lux desu cause i cant decide :|

get a pok3r

is the Cherry or OEM profile closer to the profile on the HHKB?

Similar height to OEM, but isn't actually the same.

keychatter.com/keycaps/#profiles

You can sort of feel the dome cave in near the top of the stroke and then you just drop straight down to the bottom. The bottom-out is pretty harsh even with the rubber because there's zero resistance after the dome caves, and is why the thock is so audible.

I was initially interested in Topres, admittedly in no small part because of how hard they're memed and thinking that price=quality, but I actually hated them after trying a Realforce board in a store. The collapsing dome and bottom-out is everything I despise about shitty dome boards and I guess I thought Topres were somehow different but they're not.

They're definitely way smoother and nicer than a typical rubberdome, but they're not for me.

My $10 rubber dome from costco is the closest to HHKB

glad you were able to find something satisfying at a low cost
price is not quality after all

>All that blunting from mold wear

Any bets on how much longer Unicomp's tooling will last?

just bought hermes 7 color with kailh black sw , how bad my decision ? in my location its cheaper then logitech g710

>blunting
You mean what looks like sprue marks on the sides of the F-key holes?

>zero resistance after the dome caves
there is no increase in resistance
pic from EK's page on the Topre Memeboard

>line barely deviates by 10 cN or around 10 grams.
That's not even linear, That's close to flat. Explains why Topre switches feel as smooth as they do.

Im more surprised people spend so much on rubber domes

wow the smoothness of those curves almost makes me want to buy a topre

it's so much nicer than the straight line of linears or having the little jag from tactiles

b-b-but muh capacitive buckling springs! They use an actuating foot coated in conductive carbon.