Is 4K a meme?

Is 4K a meme?

not even, its marketing bollocks

Yup, it's a meme. Only sillier one than 4k is the SSD meme. That one i'll never understand how people fall for.

Just lots of gullible folks i guess...

1440p 144hz is all you need friend

If you can't see the difference, you really are a pleb and don't deserve 4k.

Could you define "meme" for us, please

SSD are not a meme. They speed up your pc considerably

DESU most of the Ultra HD demo's and trailers and shit ripped from Netflix etc look like upscaled crap. Very rarely do I see much extra detail and usually it's soft/blurry/blocky/or out of focus shit.

A promulgated idea which is false or easily consumed by the plebeian masses.

That's because of the bitrate.

Try watching a REMUX on a 4k

Then no, 4k is not a meme because it exists and serves a function.

For watching content yes it is, nothing is filmed/made in 4K, things look better on my 1080p monitor than they do upscaled on my 4K monitor. For playing games most cards can't even handle 4K properly and 1440p is the better options so you can play steadily at decent settings.

However for productivity it's the best. Being able to have multiple windows open at the same time without having to compromise on size is great, for editing videos and animating anything else is just stupid.

retard

Lol this kinda delusion triggers me even though I know it's b8. Ssds are faster and better. I'm an I.T. guy and I probably make more than you. I agree with

In my experience SSDs are a must if you're running windows or a bunch of VM, they're also pretty nice to have in a laptop as they eliminate the risk of losing all your data if you drop it plus they're silent.
I guess it depends on your workflow.

4k is actually pretty nice if you don't fall for the high-dpi meme. It's like having four 1080p monitors without the bezels, upscaled videos look pretty nice too as long as the source is good.
All you really need is a single r9 290 computer-wise, most recent games are shit anyway.

This is retarded and so are you.

Computer speed and resolution are not subjective, they're a method of conveying information and they're either a low number or a high number.

>i haven't truly experienced 4k
>so its just a meme, its not even better than 1080p

It is a meme to me because I'm poor. And none of my hardware can play video at 1080p.

I got a 4k monitor yesterday and if you have to hardware to run it then it is definitely not a meme.

which one you got?

also, what size is good for 4k??

I think 4K is good for vidya, but stupid for tv and movies.

I just got one and can say web browsing and general shit is pretty fucking GOAT on it.

Only problem is a shit ton of programs don't even support 4k scaling yet, so you're stuck with tiny ass shitty writing if the windows scaling doesn't work on them.

Haven't seen any real 4k movies/docs yet (tried some youtube videos, but it's blatantly obvious they're either upscaled shite or compressed to all fuck due to the size of 4k content).

Tired some games like Dark Souls 1, and the sheer amount of detail you can see it some of the armour is breathtaking, absolutely unreal the difference is coming from a 1920x1200 monitor.

What gets me the most is just how small text can be, and still be legible, it's fucking mind blowing.

Got a 4k monitor on Black Furaiday with 1ms and freesync for 250 burgers. Pretty excited for it since it just shipped. Coming from 1080p, it'll be quite the upgrade.

I've a Nvidia 1070 so I expect to only run most modern games at 2k but for older games, 4k will be a blast if they have the resolution.

Lots of music videos are filmed in 4k.

1060 here, was able to run GTA5 at medium-high settings and get 45+ fps at 4k, so I think you'll be grand.

Even so, you can just switch to 1440p for those really intensive games and they'll still look great.

post your wallpapers

Only inasmuch as there's no reason to arbitrarily pick out one resolution as if there's something special about it. Aside from marketing TVs to rubes anyway.

4K content is a meme. 4K TVs are not.

Have you ever seen a 55" or 65" 1080 TV that didn't look like shit? A 4K TV fixes that if it has a decent upscaler. 4K is definitely a meme on computer monitors (1440p desu). Normies who want a huge TV need 4K.

yeah bro. 480p is all you need. you can pick one of these up at goodwill for a couple of bucks. don't be fool by the 4k jew.

Not him but I recently picked up a freesync 27 inch 4K IPS panel from LG
Minor upgrade from a cheaper TN 4k from aoc
Got a good sale on it, 350$ CAD plus tax
Run two 980tis but the difference in resolution is incredible
1080p looks like garbage. I remember the days where it was impressive
27 inch minimum and 30 inch maximum I'd say
27-28 is the sweet spot though

And yes I know
>nvidia cards
>freesync
I've been planning to sidegrade to Vega. I hope there'll be an option somewhat similar to what these cards offer in performance
Also HBM or whatever they're using for their memory will be great for 4k as well

This is kind of what I was thinking , although I'd imagine at monitor screen sizes of 23"-28" 1440p would be more than enough

No.

that's the joke, user. how dense can you possible be?
lord help this poor soul.

This.
/thread

Who the fuck runs multiple VMs at any given time?! Why do I see this reason thrown around in every fucking thread?
Is it because neets can't think of a better way of using computing power besides VMs and gaymen?

>Better resolution (where there is a noticeable AND measurable improvement, especially concerning reading text and colour depth)
and
>faster response time, no physically moving parts, less warmth, less power draw and in a few cases even way longer lifetime

are now a meme.

Dear poster, you could not be more retarded. You could try, but you would fail.

>Bought SSD
>Used it to install/uninstall OSes on for test lab
>Saved me so much time it saved my job at one point

They're worth it if you use your computer a LOT. VMs are a specific case where they kick total ass because you're dealing with large files that often don't benefit so much from high sequential reads.

>4k meme

Don't have it once, but I have a half dozen remote desktop sessions going simultaniously at least once a week. Being able to see more info at a glance is a plus. I may need reading glasses.

>4k meme

Don't have it once, but I have a half dozen remote desktop sessions going simultaniously at least once a week. Being able to see more info at a glance is a plus. I may need reading glasses. Hoping it will help me see more information at a glance so I can keep better track of progress bars and such.

Bought SSD
>Used it to install/uninstall OSes on for test lab
>Saved me so much time it saved my job at one point

They're worth it if you use your computer a LOT. VMs are a specific case where they kick total ass because you're dealing with large files that often don't benefit so much from high sequential reads.

>Who the fuck runs multiple VMs at any given time?! Why do I see this reason thrown around in every fucking thread?

People that want to run labs to learn stuff. I've set up windows server labs with like 16 VMs over 2 computers or something like that. Don't tell me you don't work IT for a living and are just on Sup Forums to talk about consumer electronics

480p master race.

the lower your monitor res is the better. SSD hard drives are too fast for the human eye to see.

I think he was making a joke.

>I think

You are part of the problem.

DPI scaling on Linux is a meme..

This is displayed on a 13" screen.

I do.
I don't have a dedicated server hardware in my house, so everytime I need server functionality when being outside of my house I just dock my laptop and run all VMs.
So yes, sperglord, VMs are real thing for some people.

>13"
>3200x1800

I've never been this angry in my life.

you got the one without pivot?? lg 68 or what its called??

also, how are the colours on this?

If you play vidya then it's not. Besides vidya it serves no other function (at least for now).

Noo I got the 58
Was a lot cheaper for almost the same features. Didn't feel like it was worth the extra money.
But I like this one a lot

Yes. 5k is superior.

200% scaling on that is 1600x900, which is very good for 13''+ laptops

enjoy your glorified 1440p because using that at 100% scale is impossible on a screen smaller than 50 inch

Glorified 1440p is exactly why I bought it. I have the benefits of high PPI with a 1440p workspace. If I wanted I could easily switch to 8k downscale mode which gives me a usable, easily readable 4k interface.
Pic related.

the term 4k is marketing bullshit, but the quality improvement in a 2160p panel is really fucking obvious

i still wouldn't buy one though. maybe in another 2 to 4 years.

when you can get a 32in to 40in 4k tv for around $250 new is when I would consider it a reasonable price.
i am aware that you can already get that now, but they come from actual no name brands, not even trying to be arrogant when i say that

I got the 28" Samsung that best buy had on sale for $250.

>inb tn

I wish i could've gotten an ips but it was a great deal nonetheless.

28" is probably the minimum size I'd go for 4k.

I bought a 4k TV for 200 bucks and it's coming this Tuesday. I have nothing to use 4k though. What can I do with it? Will it ever catch on more?