Linux Distro

Windows just crashed. Fuck win 10. Any recommendations for a good Linux distribution.

Other urls found in this thread:

voidlinux.eu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mint

fedora

install macOS

Solus

gentoo+kevinnet

As a former Windows babby myself that picked Mint as his first distro, I must say it's been real good to me, so I suggest Mint.

Kubuntu, Mint is fine too.

KDE and Cinnamon (what Mint has) are very Windows-like, I'd argue that KDE is slightly more Windows-like. KDE Plasma is fantastic and Ubuntu has the best software repository of all distros, so I like Kubuntu.

Kubuntu and Mint are great because they have good software repositories. I've fucking had it with Debian's shit, between Debian's old software and lack of drivers, it's trash.

Fedora has a bad software repository. RPM Fusion makes it tolerable, but using non-official software repositories is gross.

Ubuntu MATE

Q4OS or Zorin OS if you're a fag.

Debian or Fedora if you're a man.

Antergos

TempleOS

Spent all day yesterday dealing with Mint's inability to work with gtx 1060. FUCK!

Debian

second

>nvidia

Xubuntu or kubuntu

Void Linux.

voidlinux.eu

It'll make a fucking IBM X60 run like a charm.

>non-official software repositories
im not sure what you mean by this. just download the fusion repos and install whatever else in the terminal.

Manjaro
openSUSE Tumbleweed

Arch is better

Mint or Ubuntu if you're just getting into Linux.

Arch is not fucking better.

>Void has a convenient installer that doesn't treat you like a child, but understands that you can't spend three hours setting up ethernet
>Void uses based xbps and not packshit
>SYSTEMD-FREE (runit)
>wonderful repos

Linux Mint
Linuxlite
LXLE
Pinguy

Installation is simply a case of following instructions, the OP might not be as dense as you and the process should take

>I've fucking had it with Debian's shit, between Debian's old software and lack of drivers, it's trash.

Works on my machine.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Check out DistroWatch and read up on some distros. Download some ISOs, install them as VMs, and play around with them.

I recommend giving Antergos a look. It's basically easy-to-use Arch.

I've tried Ubuntu in the past. Ubuntu's unity interface wasn't very stable.

Unity is garbage. Ubuntu MATE is better.

Zorin

GENTOO+CLANG+MUSL+LIBRESSL+ZEN-KERNEL

>Zorin

I really like switching from Windows 7 to Kubuntu. Plasma 5 has some problems but overall it's pretty nice and user friendly.

centos 6

the only serious answer

(͟Y͟o͟u͟)

I want to fuck tux. Please tell me there is tux 34

any linux distro that comes with gnome

ubuntu gnome
fedora

avoid opensuse(mpv doesn't work on it and the application menu won't turn on)
avoid regular ubuntu (comes with unity. ugly as shit)
avoid solus(budgie is ugly as fuck)
avoid manjaro(the system settings suck)

Mint for stable, Antergos for fresh, Fedora for somewhere in between.

only reasonable answers itt

Why is gnome a objectively superior interface?

Is is the poweruser interface.

If you need menus, you are not a poweruser. If you spend more time ricing your interface than you do actually working, you are not a poweruser.

What kind of moron can get ethernet setup in under 10 min

Linux lite

Qubes or Subgraph for security. Both are very different though

I am considering dual-booting and going back to Linux one of these days, I installed Ubuntu (and riced it) but I got bored of it and deleted.

Some things that I need to straighten out first though. I never had any issues with drivers or anything like that but how would dual-monitors work with Ubuntu?

Also how would the Logitech G403 work with it? I am assuming it shouldn't have an issue.

And finally last time I deleted Linux messed up my Windows boot and had to do some trouble shooting to make it work again.
I have a second HDD that I use to store my games. If I made a partition of lets say 100GB and I decide to delete Linux will I have any issues to boot into Windows?

I'm noob. Can you explain what is a poweruser?

if you are new to linux, is Mint Linux cinnamon a good option.

someone who actually gets work done on their machine

basically nobody browsing Sup Forums

>Why is gnome a objectively superior interface?

it's simple.
It looks clean.
You don't have all these unnecessary options all over the package manager

Would you recommend Gnome shipped with Debian or getting another more "Stable" distribution and installing Gnome?

i would recommend a linux distro that comes with gnome because if you download one that doesn't it might not be stable.

Looks really nice user

How'd you do it?

antergos

stable after installing gnome on it*

Whatever you do, don't install Antergos. Everything is better than it (except for mint)

That applications drop-down menu is garbage. Why would you even use it? It doesn't even have type to search, something that's a standard in all modern operating systems.

fedora

Ubuntu! although you can try out a lot through Virtual Machines to see which ones you like most

>3 hours setting up ethernet
it works out of the box. maybe you're thinking of gentoo

>except for mint
?

Xubuntu

is openSUSE any good?

ubuntu mate. Pretty bullshit free distro and looks good.

Yea, this one.

Ubuntu Unity

Compiz shits on all other WM/Compositors.

What icon theme do you use?

It you can't figure it out, you aren't going to on any other distro than Ubuntu perhaps.

It's literally dhcpcd [[INTERFACE]]. Are you, by chance, retarded?

>Gnome
>Applications can't maximize to global bar
>Wasted space on every window incl firefox
>Hardware acceleration destroys battery on laptops
>Ugly as fuck interface requiring exclusive gtk for shell instead of global skin like Unity

Yeah no thx

Paper

Fuck dual booting, use a VM. You don't even know why you want to dual boot. VMs. what are they? Fucking mongs wants moar partitions and less convenience. VMs are good enough for entrerprise, y u no use?

why Fedora though? Why not Debian, Arch, Ubuntu or anything else with Gnome?

Why do you want to use loonix when you can use Unix?
FreeBSD is your choice!

Paper

fedora is the best distro to use if you want gnome. best intergration of it to date, similar to opensuse for kde.

yeah and I was asking why he picked Fedora instead of other distros with Gnome

can you share that wallpaper?

I don't want to get political, but I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the systemd controversy before choosing a GNU/Linux distribution, as most major distributions have adopted systemd and don't present the user with any alternative. Also, you might consider using a BSD-based distribution instead, in which case that's not even a concern.

Since I'm assuming you're not terribly familiar with GNU, I would guess you want a distribution that's easy to install and is mostly pre-configured. So I would recommend looking into any of the following distributions that are not systemd-based:

Salix OS - Most recommended for someone with little experience with GNU/Linux. You can download Salix with a variety of desktop environments or window managers installed, and there are live DVD images with your choice of Xfce or MATE. I would recommend grabbing the MATE live DVD. This will boot you into a graphical environment and give you a GUI installer to make things a lot more simplified.

Zenwalk - I don't care for Xfce, and that's the only DE Zenwalk gives you right out of the box. I don't believe there's a live image anywhere, so you'll have to install and partition through a series of dialogs.

GhostBSD - Pretty sure the images are live, so again, you should have a straightforward GUI for installing the system.

Why do GNOME 3 shills keep talking about productivity when even Linus Torvalds called it a user experience design failure?

because they share a different opinion to torvalds'

Korora

Sorry, shot is a month old.

To offer a counterpoint to avoiding systemd, there is a reason it is so widely adopted. Its primary sin is simply not adhering to the Unix philosophy, by being a big monolithic piece that many components and applications depend on. Other than that, there are a few design quibbles. It is still free software.

It is a comprehensive, robust, and extremely capable init system built specifically for Linux. It can be seen as a major step towards Linux maturing into its own very capable operating system, independent of the baggage of the Unix world which might have deserved a re-evaluation. RMS has no real gripes with it, the only people whining to the moon and back are old Unix diehards.

Fedora and other operating systems which use systemd still respect your freedoms while giving you an excellent desktop OS, with many thanks to systemd for making it possible.

You forgot to mention the meme that the NSA has their fingers in systemd. Though it's not impossible...

If they do, then all open source software may as well have the NSA's tentacles in it. I'd trust nothing at that point.

the NSA uses linux, systemd & selinux
it's in their best interest to have it as secure as possible

With their own backdoor, of course

Lack of drivers, old repos, if you want updated software on the testing branch it's buggier than Ubuntu and the installer is bugged to shit and slow as well. Install Ubuntu if you aren't a masochist.

Linux VM within Windows? Or a Windows VM within Linux?

/thread
if you need anything other than Debian, you're just a NEET ricer autist.

Don't do it brah

you actually need more time for pinning the repos on Debian, than configuring Arch or Gentoo

Arch Linux:
>fast
>stable
>best Linux documentation ever

>stable
kek
dont forget the tiny repos, unaudited AUR made by idiots and
>pic related

Debian... Do you 'member when those filthy code monkeys introduced a security hole by patching OpenSSH?

This.
But I wouldn't recommend arch for your first Unix experience