Trackballs

Have any of you guys ever tried using a trackball before? Thinking of switching to one because they have numerous advantages.

Idk they seem rly cool though

Had a trackball mouse years ago. They're not that great.

I have this marble mouse and is very comfy on linux. But windows drivers are shit and you can't normally emulate scroll wheel. And you can play games if you want.

I have an MS Explorer and it's pretty nice. I'd recommend a trackball for just general browsing but I do not recommend it for any gaming. It does take a lot of getting used to to use in longer sessions comfortably..

I use one of these & I like it.
If you're not used to trackballs there might be a learning-curve before you get used to it, after that they're great.

Also, don't get one without a scroll-wheel.

Yep and you can use autoscript with a script that emulates middle mouse click while pushing the back button. It's pretty comfy under windows too desu.

They're okay. Used one when I got a new job and that's all they had on hand for mice. Until my wrist falls apart, I'll still use a regular mouse. The ball itself under a finger is pretty uncomfortable.

I also switched to the M570 last summer. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it, but now regular mice feel so primitive.
Using a trackball also helps saving a good amount of desk space.

I am not accurate with them. Like when copying a word in a text. It's effortless with a regular mouse. I only use it to browse the web.
Fuck using trackball for anything work related. It's too slow and inaccurate.
Pic related is also just semi-ergonomic, if that is something you are worried about.
I'm using this one right now, it's slightly less accurate than red ball. Probably because you have use your thumb and smaller ball. Wireless isn't that great if your PC is under the table.
Yeah. Pair this with a tenkeyless keyboard is pretty dope. Ergonomic wise.

I have pic related.

I really like it but it has some annoying downsides. There's no convenient way to scroll. In windows, you have some third party support to make scrolling work but in Linux, there's no option afaik.

I've been using that exact trackball for a year and some months now. I'm on #2 though because typical Logitech button double presses started happening. I do like using it, though.

The are nice and the cut down of wrist mouse motion is great if you don't have a lot of space. Only complaint is that the ball rolls roughly once some dirt and dust get under it, prompting a cleaning here and there

I clean mine every day. It's pretty much required.

I use that exact device. It's been a great choice for me.

Make sure you install something to let you use + to scroll.

I've been using them for somewhere around 5 or 6 years now. Models I've used in chronological order:

1. Logitech Trackman Marble x 3 (their buttons liked to die)
2. Kensington Expert Mouse
3. CST L-Trac (pic)

By far my favorite is the CST. Built like a tank, buttery smooth ball mechanism, very usable scrollwheel, super accurate, and it has a great DPI. With it I can throw the cursor around a 2560x1440 screen with very little movement and little overshooting.

I still have the Kensington and while I appreciate the ball size, the rollers aren't nearly as smooth and in comparison to the CST's scroll wheel, its scroll ring is finicky. I also only ever regularly used three of its four buttons because the fourth is in an awkward position.

All in all if my CST died I'd buy another CST, or if I was strapped for cash another Trackman Marble. The Kensington isn't worth the price (~$80 when I bought mine).

>Only complaint is that the ball rolls roughly once some dirt and dust get under it, prompting a cleaning here and there
>I clean mine every day. It's pretty much required.

This depends on the design of the trackball. I'm and at the risk of sounding like a shill, the I've been using my L-Trac for well over a year now and I haven't had to clean it once, yet it's still as smooth as ever. I had to clean my Logitechs and Kensington at least once a month and during periods of heavy use, every other week.

I have two elecom trackballs, an MX570, and the marble mouse in ops pic. I like fingerballs more. The elecom I have now is okay, but i want the microsoft trackman explorer they don't make anymore.

For fpses with iron sights, you want to enable toggle for iron sights instead of press to hold if you have a finger trackball instead of a thumb one. You can't move the ball accurately and have your pinky/ring finger pressed down, but you can tap it.

I use this exact mouse since it was first released and my original unit is still working. I bought a 2nd for another computer too.

Thanks for posting this, I was looking into getting a Kensington because having the larger marble/ball size looks really useful, but I hadn't heard of the L-Trac before. I'm not too keen on the thumb-positioned rollers either, so a lot of the trackballs are already out with that.

I use this same mouse as well. Works well enough for office work (excel mostly).

>Ball mice
>Current year

I also have one of these, and I love it.

Not having to clean a trackball weekly sounds wonderful. Are finger trackballs more or the same in terms of comfort-ability compared to something like the m570?

Why does this brand have to be so damn expensive? It was my GOAT mouse, until it just died. New batteries, heavy clean, nothing, won't do anything.
So now I use mouse, and it's fine with X-Mouse to emulate a middle mouse button, but I really miss my old one.

yeah, i have a kensington trackball with scrollring, i like it

>TwEnTy-SiX-TeEn
Eat shit ball mice are cool
I remember my friends dad played vanilla WoW with one of these things. Probably god-tier for MMORPG's. Such a shame the genre is dead.

I use a Kensington Orbit for day to day life and a Logitech g600 for WoW and other games.

Fuck no, trackballs are gay, Trackballs are what queers use to practice fondling another queer's balls.

It's really personal preference. I find fingerballs plenty comfy and considerably more precise than thumbballs (more fingers == more control).

f*cking epic xD

SAVAGE!

thanks for the info.