Why are you not using *BSD yet user?

Why are you not using *BSD yet user?

Other urls found in this thread:

freshbsd.org/search?project=freebsd&q=HPET
wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
wiki.freebsd.org/WantedPorts?highlight=(powertop)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tux is cooler desu

Because of the awful fucking logos/mascots

But I am. I'm even posting from it.

screenfetch or didnt happen

Kinda. NetBSD at least don't have it.

Why would I?

No drivers for my hardware.

I do use 3 FreeBSD vms as a reverse proxies at work.

I use FreeBSD on 2 laptops and a server, but I've been using the same Arch install on my desktop for so long that I'm fearful of change. Sometimes I just prefer the Linux way of doing things.
Considering clearing a somewhat spare disk and making a slow transition, though.

because if I were to contribute to it, my work could be stolen by corporations

Already fell for that meme.

Blowfish a cute

Because a lot of the programs I use don't exist for them?

I liked darwin

B-but I'm using OS X

>you can steal something that's free

I used to use FreeBSD and I still like it a lot but it's cheap and easier to provision "cloud" servers with Debian.

There isn't a reason for me to switch.

OpenBSD is going to be my new OS of choice once my slightly older (and well supported) Thinkpad gets here.

Pre-Chinkpad era of course, no management engines for me thanks.

Fuck cloud servers, run your own cloud or just use jails like a normal person

>run your own cloud
Is this meant to be practical advice or some sort of an ideological statement? Because if it's meant to be practical advice that applies in a work setting, man, are you wrong to give it. "Running your own cloud" is a full-time job that is absolutely unnecessary for you to do unless your servers (VMs) number in the hundreds at least.
>like a normal person
LOL, normies are all about AWS and Docker these days.

I am.

Darwin 16.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.1.0: Thu Oct 13 21:26:57 PDT 2016; root:xnu-3789.21.3~60/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 i386

Let's be serious here

90% of open source code has zero use to any companies

But I am. Desktop and two VPSs. I even bought stickers and have the FreeBSD Foundation as my Amazon Smileā„¢ charity.

battery life under bsd is worse on my thinkpad

which one? did you try enabling apm if you're using openbsd?

x220, and yes

I'm using FreeBSD right now.
Better than systemd/Linux

I was looking at one of those android handheld emulator things recently, by JXD.

I noticed that NetBSD can run on the ARM SoC in that particular device.

What else would need to be done in theory for it to run?

>he think screenfetch can prove anything

But I am.

Because it's impossible to install it along Windows. I shit you not, I formated my computer 37 times trying. I tried to install Windows first and then FreeBSD. I tried to disconnect my hard drives and install Windows in 1, then disconnect that one and connect another one and install FreeBSD there (to pick from BIOS). I tried dual booting in the same drive and also in different drives, I even tried installing Windows last just in case. To rule out HDD problems I tried 3 different HDDs for all the combinations of the stuff I tried. I even tried to setting the installer in a USB and also to create the installer manually. After 37 times of installing both OSes and 3 days, the only constant was that every single time FreeBSD would be the only one to boot and I couldn't get into Windows. Even the 12ish I installed them disconnecting the HDDs, when I tried to pick the Windows HDD in the BIOS it would start FreeBSD. I gave up and installed Debian + Windows and it worked on the first try.

>IMPOSSIBLE
i found it easier than linux to dualboot openbsd and windows

you don't even need another bootloader, the windows bootmgr can just chainload openbsd

freshbsd.org/search?project=freebsd&q=HPET
Try FreeBSD -Current, build own kernel and make some power tuning:
wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

this is why i don't like freebsd

why so much tuning for something that should be OOB

>chainload
>he has 3 more seconds of boot time
>HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

No, I'm not retarded like you. Do it well or don't at all.

what?

you do know that there will be chainloading no matter what, right

or are you the guy who pretends to be retarded?

sounds like he is doing it well because the job got done kiddo

yeah i'm not going to go through all that time only to find that it probably won't work as well as linux+tlp. I have better things to do w my time

sorry user, bsd is a neat idea but the usability side of things is super lacking

>X40
>Pre-ChinkPad
Foxconn has made ThinkPads ever since they switched to the W/T/X nomenclature mate.

Any of *nix required hard tuning.
Anyway FreeBSD slowly become more "out of box" user-friendly.

I want to use OpenBSD, but my Intel iGPU isn't supported.

You can use FreeBSD.

I believe FreeBSD has even older drivers from Linux 3.8 or something.

>powertop --autotune

Things that BSD will never have.

github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
From 4.7(drm-next-4.7)-4.8(drm-next).

Neat, thanks.

>powertop
You can port it.
wiki.freebsd.org/WantedPorts?highlight=(powertop)

>Why are you not using *BSD yet user?

What does it provide in terms of SUPERIOR user experience and device driver selection to any Linux desktop choice?

If nothing, I don't care to invest my time and effort. If something, might do a VM.

Proponents will rattle off subjective shit like code correctness or info pages that mean absolutely dick. There only real benefit is when you are creating proprietary software and don't give two shits about the codebase.

>info pages
>bsd

fuck off

>SUPERIOR user experience

sigh... bsd is an effort to offer a complete unix and unix services. linux tries to do a lot of things.

if you don't care to invest your time and effort into learning unix then you're on track to be a code monkey or certified jackass

lots of businesses run their own cloud retard.

>90% of open source code has zero use to any companies

what does that even mean?

You shouldn't confuse UNIX with FreeBSD/OpenBSD, UNIX is a proprietary copyright and other than a certified UNIX being the base for BSD, the only thing they have in common is a goal to be portable across UNIX's.

With GNU/Linux you get the same thing only the support is better because UNIX is a failed standard.

Thanks for interjecting

BSD is definitely a continutation of K&R ATT unix. you can fuck off with that lawyer logic.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

enough reddit-tier humour.

It was a poorfag hack with a doomed license that was supplanted by GNU/Linux.

you've been shitposting this for months dude. enough. how insecure are you?

Pretty sure this is the first time I have ever referred to BSD as a poorfag hack of UNIX.

Maybe you should knock off the persecution complex.

>poorfag hack of UNIX
what does this even mean?

No enterprise level support.

>bsd shits still up in arms about nomenclature
a sign of times past, and of things to come... both a metric shitload of nothing

bsd turds are quite very literally that cs dropout who takes 101 classes for 3 years in a row to "correct" everyone (wouldn't work in 20x classes because they know the bsd turd is full of shit lol) and can't even decide on a project name. Literally spent two entire decades crying about names. You could have destroyed microsoft in the 90s but instead you got caught up on what to NAME it.

linux won 10 years ago. it is over

It's a fork of version 6 with no AT&T code left since 4.4BSD-lite. If you want Ritchie/Thompson Unix, you'll probably be better served with V10, but since that was never released outside Bell Labs, Plan 9. For what it's worth, dmr himself had no qualms about calling Linux a derivative/version of Unix and speaking in rather positive terms about it.

Not that any of this really matters. Everyone in this thread would feel crippled on a PDP-11 running V7. Being an Unix descendant or trademarked Unix is only of historical interest, not technical.

From a job perspective, Linux marketshare dwarfs the gratis-BSD's, so it's not really worth learning. OSX is different enough from the whateverBSD's that the only meaningful knowledge that transfers is how to use the gimped-to-shit userland in the few minutes it takes for you to install homebrew and subsequently install the superior GNU coreutils/findutils/grep/a version of bash from this decade/whatever else.

From just a plain old curiosity point of view, BSD is just different enough from Linux to be annoying, but not better enough for the differences to really matter. Also, you'll soon realize that transferring between the BSD's isn't like switching Linux distributions, because they're three fundamentally different codebases instead of having an identical kernel and userland like Linux, and so you'll run into stupid shit like FreeBSD having an absolutely ancient version of pf, and OpenBSD not supporting ZFS.

>From just a plain old curiosity point of view, BSD is just different enough from Linux to be annoying, but not better enough for the differences to really matter.
i actually did a test recently and tried to go back to fedora after using openbsd for months

i couldn't do it, the man pages sucked so fucking bad

yeah, but BSD is developed under the auspices and traditions of the UNIX philosophy. it's not called UNIX because of legalities, but it is penultimately "unix-like".

design decisions in OpenBSD specifically are not arbitrary and are definitely adhering to a design philosophy best called UNIX

for the laymen (myself included), it's probably better to call them nuances than differences.

cause it sucks, no AUR, no zsh, no good browser, no i3, no drivers

dumb archfag

wouldn't it be easier to stop being a hipster/contrarian and use GUI software, so that you don't need fucking manpages or autism.conf.rc.

>30+ years later
>"muh nomenclature"

i'm learning C you fucking retard, i need the man pages

You will get no argument from me on that. That said, I have never once had a problem with Linux that had me thinking "Man, if only the man pages were better" because this is the 21st century and the internet exists.

So yeah, man pages are one of many things that falls into one of those "not better enough to actually matter".

>destroyed microsoft
>bsd

it was never about this

>shit code
>know-it-all losers
hilarious

if the on-line documentation is so bad that you need to google absolutely everything then your system is broken

+ years later
>>"muh nomenclature"

that other guy needs to understand. mind your business.

>no AUR
ok
>no zsh
All major BSDs have zsh in their repositories or ports
>no good browser
Every browser on Linux is available on BSD as well.
>no i3
All major BSDs have i3 in their repositories or ports
>no drivers
Every major BSD has drivers for myriad pieces of hardware. Is something specific you need unsupported by all of them?

don't bother, he's the autistic archfag that always shitposts here

ok, I'll try it, also that container-like from bsd that run linux(literally just the kernel) would help

>noyou.jpg

first time poster, rude

You can't talk about ports because if I asked you about ports you'd insist that they were insecure and shit. Same goes for any linux software ported to BSD.

BSD is just a lite version of plan9's autism wherein they declare themselves holy entities and don't accept any code changes for decades because nothing is autistic enough. It's less of an OS and more of a religious text.

>something specific
this will end in that rant from that one page where it insists you have to throw out everything that isn't supported and then we enter in calling "everything that I don't happen to own" which could also be said as "infinitely approaching 100% of all hardware ever" or "nothing". "specific hardware" is fancy dodge words for "everything".

I do not understand what ypu just wrote. Please try forming a coherent English sentence.

he does it again

the autist with the weird persecution complex is here

You're free to believe that, and I'll continue getting work done.

yeah, your precious "work"

the same one that you're afraid muh evil corps will steal?

>liking the fish with niggerlips

That is the developers concern, not mine.

>You can't talk about ports because if I asked you about ports you'd insist that they were insecure and shit.
This only applies to OpenBSD and even then not universally. Ports on OpenBSD aren't guaranteed to be as secure as the default installation so they should only be installed if needed. On FreeBSD ports are the default way to install software. On NetBSD you can use either binary packages or compile from source in a ports-like system, hence pkgsrc.
>BSD is just a lite version of plan9's autism wherein they declare themselves holy entities and don't accept any code changes for decades because nothing is autistic enough. It's less of an OS and more of a religious text.
You are generalizing all BSD users based on suckless.org's brand of OpenBSD autism.
>specific hardware" is fancy dodge words for "everything".
I know it may sound like that, but I honestly mean what I asked. If something you need isn't supported by an OS, that's a perfectly good reason not to use that OS. If, however, all of your hardware works, saying BSDs support less hardware than other systems is nothing but a meaningless mobile goalpost.

>captcha: calle calle

yes because loading Sup Forums up with bsd garbage that 80% of the time happens to get literally 0 replies and the thread is re-made 15 minutes later is a much better use of the board's time.

We all know your game - You used linux and it got too mainstream, and you freaked out. BSDrones do the exact same thing again after visiting some bsd forum, they drop it and go for Haiku. Seen it a thousand times.

You realize everyone else has a mental filter for these threads? any time you actually attract anyone, the pattern repeats itself with its gay little nose in the air.

>So I tried BSD out from this thread's recommendation and the desktop doesn't load. What do?
>Post the result of this command to show your video card
>Oh, it looks like you have hardware made in the past 15 years. *We don't support that*
>Well I thought you said BSD was good??
>*You probably just wouldn't get it*
>fucking hippies

I know this is very hard for you lot to understand even after having done it over 5,000 times by now just over the past year, but you have two outcomes with BSD threads. Both outcomes you just ignore all outside evidence or information and wait for the thread to die and just re-make it. This is why I refer to BSD as creationists of software.

also you know what the weird thing is about that post?
>You can't talk about ports because if I asked you about ports you'd insist that they were insecure and shit.
i think this part is the other way around, normally we mention ports and YOU'RE the ones who go on and on about how ports are insecure

holy shit i'm so right

by the way i love how you got desperate enough when there was no thread for like a week to make an account on plebbit just to shitpost

is this the new rmspasta

> If, however, all of your hardware works,
Yes if you bought in advance the one T20 thinkpad that supports everything. This is the nose-in-air version of the "you must throw it out" rant I was talking about before, you can't change this fact by presenting it in a psuedo-welcoming manner. Go into any retail outlet, and no BSD will work with anything. Nothing that anyone has in stock online is going to work either.

I swear talking to you posers is like browsing linux forums from 2003 where elitists of olde posted the exact same thing. Difference is at the time there wasn't any real other free choice, and they were against windows/osx. There is a completely free choice available that works fine and it's linux. Choosing on purpose to ignore this means you are a contrarian hipster.

Well, I guess according to my own idea, nobody else browses these threads, just want to leave this sort of thing for someone who happens to fall for your quantum "recommendation" memes before they waste their time. They're liable to also call linux shit vis a vis the free software gambit.

ports is insecure is a meme

OpenBSD comes with all the traditional UNIX services. most OpenBSD users are using OpenBSD for these services. otherwise the biggest issue may be with firefox, but if you actually follow security advisories you will know the shit that is researched for zero-day is not in ports. but sure install wordpress from ports and claim OpenBSD is worthless. what software are you running from ports that is weighing you down? anything you mentioned most likely has already been addressed long ago, like wireshark. irc clients, browsers, and email clients are universal problems. your analysis is some weird mentally-ill abstract-tier hypothetical.

wait user, are you saying that installing more software increases the attack surface

holy fuck user what a discovery

Most desktops and rack mount servers are supported just fine in my experience. Laptops are notorious for having god-knows-what hardware and I happily admit the BSDs might lag behind in supporting a lot of them. Thinkpads way newer than T20 are supported perfectly fine, though. Why do you feel the need to make exaggerations? Is reality not convincing enough?

you're a fucking idiot

i was agreeing with you though