/osg/ - Obligatory Software General

GNU/Linux edition

Old thread: Let's start with Pidgin, an amazing chat client. With it you will be fully prepared to talk with the friends you don't have.

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=keepass&fdid=com.android.keepass
Sup
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KeePass, the free as in freedom password manager. Also available for windows.

Double Commander, _the_ cross-platform Total Commander clone.

tmux

Good piece of software user. Currently KeePassX can read KeePass2 files so if you don't want to install Mono for KeePass2 on GNU + Linux install KeepassX instead.

I'm using this and loving every minute of it. That said, is THIS program the best alternative (on Windows) there is to Total Commander? Im curious

Awk. The best investment if you process text-based data on the command line.

AFAICT I've examined every major TC clone and Double Commander was the best I found.

I checked few other alternatives on Windows but Double Commander was the best for me.

It is also important to note that free, open source and non online solutions for password manager are preferred, due to security issues.

If you need a shared solution, just upload your keepass file to a cloud solution and use KeePassDroid available at F-Droid f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=keepass&fdid=com.android.keepass

If you want something like LastPass in browsers, just use KeePass with chromeIPass

Thank you both, I'll stick with it then.

What functions does it add over file explorer? What does it lacks compared to file explorer?

>file explorer
Which file explorer? Do you mean explorer.exe on Windows?

yes

Sup Forums X as a feature-rich experience on Sup Forums Sup Forums-x.net/

>browsers
Absolute essential: Palemoon (Firefox based). No botnet, customizable, fast and de-bloated.

If you can't outrun and must absolutely use Chromium (some extensions that are only developed for Chrome), use Iridum Browser. The same Chrome, without the bloating and botnet. Also, fast as shit.

>Iridum Browser
That is a great finding right there, user

*IRIDIUM BROWSER

sorry, and thanks

DuckDuckGo as a Google alternative

What's the Iridium license?

>open source software
>needing license
sorry, im a bit lost, could you clarify what you mean by "license"?

free software license, such as MIT, Apache

>Absolute essential: Palemoon (Firefox based). No botnet, customizable, fast and de-bloated.
Just don't use it on modern websites and you should be fine

We should have more threads like this

rTorrent/Qbittorrent/Deluge for torrents
Filezilla for FTP/SFTP
Owncloud for a personal cloud
Weechat/Hexchat for IRC
Emacs/Vi(m) as text editors

sharex is a muat for windows

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications

Such as? I have installed it recently and got the message "This browser is not supported" from sites like Linkedin, but the site itself runs just fine.

I don't know. I'm just repeating things I see other people write on here.

pidgin is fucking retarded for not being able to filter out people not on your list in several IM services, and it even lets blocked people through at times
i kept getting spam and stupid messages from robots and virus links and no level of add-ons fix it, not even privacy-please

what a piece of shit

>Sup Forums in a nutshell

idk, ill stick with it. the sites that flash that message usually want to collect your info a la Google-Botnet, so fuck them in the ass

>Owncloud
I should also suggest Seafile if you are looking for an easier to use and manage alternative.

Or buy a synology and use the built in Cloud Station (proprietary, but works like a charm)

Try spoofing your browser as the latest version of Firefox. Should get rid off any such messages and also make your browser fingerprint less unique.

Thanks for the tip m8, how does one spoof the browser?

Uh... meant user agent. Just search for "user agent spoofer" on the Firefox addons website and find something that works with Pale Moon.

I prefer rambox , it has all the services I need and works just fine. I dunno but for some reason pidgin never worked for me.

I read that palemoon doesn't support all Firefox add-ons. Is that true? If so , which add-ons don't work?

This,
Also Clementine for music if you need a gui , otherwise just use cmus.
Mpv for videos and shotwell for photos.

i miss the pidgin days.
right in the feels.

What's the best Linux file manager?

dolphin
spacefm if you don't use kde plasma
ranger if you just want terminal

The ones compatible with Firefox 24.9, but you can use old versions of the recent updated. addons

>chromeIPass
You almost had me there for a second, you sneaky cunt.