The Great Debate

So?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EyuoQIuEZj0
guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5ZCJah-FY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Neither, hold off your upgrade till you're able to afford the best card out there.

XFX RX 480 GTR

4gb version is like $100 cheaper
is $100 really worth the barely noticeable performance for the very few games that 1060 provides?

4GB doesn't quite cut it nowadays, even at 1080p.
You already have some some games pushing the 5GB boundary on that resolution.

>paying for shit cards that can barely do 50fps on FullHD on several games and will be even weaker next year already

Seriously, retards.

If you don't buy a card that atleast performs on GTX1070 level, you are dumb.

And don't come with the Crossfire/SLI argument, it's shit.

superior performance on dx12 and vulkan
2 extra gb of ram
custom models fixed the 6-pin issue
literally the same price, sometimes less

there is no debate, rx480 demolishes the 1060

nvidia wins on the 1050 vs rx460 and the 1070/1080 versus nothing

now delet dis

>in reality the 1060 destroys the RX 480 in 99% of the games
Forgot about that, did we?

that's because 99% of the games today are dx11/10

the rx480 is a future proof card familio, it's meant for poorfags that can't a fford a new card every year

>future proof
Taking into account AMD is actively gimping older cards nowadays, I wouldn't use that.

In old games the 480 hits 60fps in 1080p and it's better in new ones. best deal for semi poorfags.

[citation needed]

any proof to your statement?

I think you mixed up AMD and Nvidia there... Nvidia is known for gimping their cards while AMD is known for just improving performance as time goes on.

amd gimping cards that lasted 6 years so far

yeap

meanwhile

nvidia made the 9xx series legacy after 1.5 year
and pascal is going be legacy also after 1.5 year since its basicly a 9xx series..

I think you have typo in word "Nvidia"

I know we can all agree of Nvidia being a shit company, but really a gtx 1060 is still superior in every way.

>future proof
>a budget, mid range at best gfx card that struggles even today in wqhd/4k
>future proof

The only "future proof" card you can buy is the Titan and that's still

>future proof :^)

If you buy budget option to play gayms in 3 years on low in 30 fps, then you should immiedatly vacate this planet.

The 1060 solely because it's cheaper. Gigabyte g1 gaming 1060 was 240 quid when I checked yesterday. The g1 gaming 480 is like 280.

not upgrading my 770 until hbm/gddr5x is industry standard

my old ass 7950 proves otherwise

but i am poor, senpai

the g1 480 on amazon is as low as 220..

The 390 which has 15% more cores and a way bigger memory bus is performing worse than a 470 in most games now. It should be faster than a 480 since any aftermarket 970 is proven to be faster than a 480.

got any proof on that beyond a single game?

R9 3xx and Fury are already being gimped. Google some recent benchmarks.

What games require 5gb for 1080p? 2gb is mostly enough for 1080

Can't tell if retarded or just trolling

What you said was bullshit
This, the 1060 may perform better now, but here in a year or two when everything is dx12 it will outperform it by a huge margin.

Total bullshit.

>single game
>bf1
>infinite warfare
>dishonored 2
>titanfall 2

Just from the top of my head.

you do realise that 470 is being created to have a 290 level of perf right?
also proofs and not from a single game..

amd gimps their own cards..
oh wait

Now that's what I call damage control.

Sure bro.

It's amazing how you guys defend a brand just because you didn't have the money to buy a better card.

A 390 is as fast as a 290x. It should be faster than a 470/480.

I'm buying a 460, and their is nothing you fags can do

>480 faster than a 390x
>470 faster than a 390

You can't make this shit up. This graph has literally sold me a 1060. Or maybe a 1070 but still, this level of amd gimping is next level shit.

since when ? LOL 480 was and is suppose to be at fury nano or simple fury levels and often it is with 5-6 fps difference
470 is on 290x level

That's called generation leap. Something AMD hasn't grasped yet.

>Nvidia is bad because they actually launch cards that almost double the performance from the previous model
>AMD is somehow good because they keep recycling their chips and optimising drivers but still perform subpar to Nvidia

>buying a 6 year old Nvidia card
Yeah have fun with that.

470 is to be faster than r9 amd said so months ago
480 is to be on fury line level amd said so months ago
shills come here to prove that amd gimps their cards
post results of their cards doing what they are suppose to do
shills calls it gimping

>LOL 480 was and is suppose to be at fury nano or simple fury levels

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. It was meant to be 390x levels but fell severely short. Amd had to gimp the 390x to make their 480 look better.

>470 is on 290x level

This is laughable now. Amd themselves said it was supposed to compete with the 970 and would be around 290 levels of performance when it came to the entry level of VR.

yeah we saw how nvidia provided "almost double the perf" when it comes to dx12 compared to their previous cards..

oh wait doom actually showed that a 480 was beating a 1070
hmm
LOL

DCS World.

Keep dreaming, Pajeet.

im sure you have all sorts of proofs to actually back up this shit right?
i guess you can find many benches that show how 3xx series got gimped before and after polaris right?

All these fags crying about 5-10 fps. Buy whatever is cheaper, that's what I literally just did at microcenter 20 minutes ago. I won't even tell you what I got because it really doesn't matter at that price.

Now you're joking but I meant the RX 460

>470 better than 970
>480 better than 980
Shit I guess Nvidia is gimping harder than AMD

talks about dx12/vulcan
posts a opengl result

truth hurts a bit i know youtube.com/watch?v=EyuoQIuEZj0
and i wont even post the digitalfoundry one which they had a better system...

>DCS
What the fuck, name an actual game that will hit 4gb at 1080p

>graph literally showing openGL and Vulkan
>Nvidia completely and utterly destroys AMD
Can't make this shit up.

>390x was faster than a 980 before polaris
>slower than a 970 after polaris
>in an amd optimised game

Even with an overclock to the 390x it's barely faster than the 480 and still slower than the 970.

What how you call this some conspiracy and lie and request to see like 2000 more games.

>inb4 dx12

It's broken in bf1. There's so much evidence that you can't even use that excuse with this.

In one benchmark, it wins in every other one I've seen

>the game you named is not a real game
What?

so wait i ask to bring back benches from games that actually had benched 390 before and after
and you bring bf1?

man you cant even try to not be biased as shit lol

>one benchmark

guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html

and every single video is showing 480 to be 40 fps higher
EVERY SINGLE ONE
hmmm
its not like pcgamer is a shiil for nvidia right?
who can forget their articles to buy a 970 1 week before the pascal cards was about to launch

>3.5 is more than enough guys! A lot of VRam is a meme!
>4gb is not enough guys! Look at this one game that uses 5 when you give it the chance!

Nvidiots can't get their shit straight

Name just one game that will hit 4gb at 1080p. Just not that one. Occasionally spiking to that amount doesn't count either

What would you do if they were the same cost? I came to the thread looking for reasonable discussion so I could pick one. You're the first chill user.

>one benchmark
lmfao
You poor pajeets are a fucking joke.

>b-b-but I'm too retarded to use the power of logic to notice a negative correlation with X gpu across games in X amount of time

Like clockwork. Always shitting the goalposts. I like the way you couldn't even refute my post. I guess I'm done here.

I call bullshit, no way the 1070 can get 50fps at 4k

just wait 18 months for new cards to be out

Not that it would matter, as half of the fucking tech sites over inflate nvidia/intel numbers.

>b-but it's only one benchmark
I'm keking so hard right now, user.
The denial is real.

>muh Vulkan
>Nvidia still utterly destroys AMD on its own API
Can't make this shit up.

all i see is stupid posts and not enough proofs of your claim...
fact is there isnt a single game out there that was perfoming good on 390x and suddenly it got cuked after 480 released..
NOT A SINGLE ONE

RX 480 has a far better tesselator and memory compression than the 390x

Cheapest RX470 4Gb you can find.

I-it's shilling guys!!!!111 AMD is best, am I right guys????

I don't give a shit anymore, dragging on for fucking ever, believe whatever

You will never max out even 3GB let alone 4GB VRAM for anything at 1080p. Prove me wrong.

Honestly I don't know. They're both good cards for the price. I'm happy with my choice because based on previous models my card should be better for graphic design, given that increase in performance is probably 1-3%. Just go with what you think looks cooler I guess. You really aren't going to notice the difference in performance so you might as well enjoy looking at it, right?

hush little one dont spoil the shilling for nvidia here

I responded, but being the autist I am responded to myself. Hope you're still here.

Another retarded euro who can't refute my posts. There was no evidence that nvidia performance was going down either (as confirmed by multiple benchmark videos on YouTube and articles) in the same games yet "b-b-but gimping". Anyone who had an aftermarket 780 ti is so much happier than any fury x owner right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5ZCJah-FY
who can forget the day that nvidia got cheating again

I will, friend. As soon as I get home, I'll launch Forza Horizon 3 and I'll show it to you taking up more than 5GB of VRAM.

Love my 1060. Don't give a fuck about DX12. When DX12 becomes more prevalent these cards will become outdated by then. I just care about current stuff and the 1060 can handle everything you throw at it.

post a single benchmark, showing that 3XX performance has DECREASED since its initial release

That's hard to do, especially when those cards were shitty to begin with :/

Yeah, I'm still here. And no, I'm not worried too much about the performance difference right now. I've had some bad luck with AMD cards in the past so I thought I might try Nvidia. I just wonder if the amount of VRAM in the 1060 will still be good in 2 years.

Wish there were more GPU companies for desktops!

Daily reminder that if you support nvidia you belong on They don't give a shit to help you if you're using anything but windows. Even Linus has on record has called nvidia a shit company that's very difficult to work with. Nvidia put such little effort into the linux drivers that even the reversed engineered drivers are better than the official ones.

This thread has descended into shit, to be expected.

>390 vs 970 stock
>970 stock is trash as everyone knows
>dx12 and amd favoured api
>390 still gets smoked by a stock 970
>i-it's not gimping guys, I s-swear

Actually iirc in their just cause video they said they're using an asus 390 which has a 50/70 mhz oc to it and it's still losing to the 970.

>muh loonix
lmfao

Who the fuck cares about your shitty excuse of a hobby?

Get whatever's cheaper.

For 1080p, I suspect 3-4GB is good enough. 6GB-8GB if 1440p.

Only certain triple A games utilize these anyway.

8GB RAM is a meme, because given enough gpu power, it doesn't matter if its got 4GB where as a weaker card got 8GB.

Is this English? I can't understand anything other than someone is assblasted

>HURDUR AMD GIMP CARDS
>post proof
>HURDUR THEY WERE BAD TO BEGIN WITH
solid reply

meanwhile, my 4 year old 290x that I got used for $180 is on par with a gtx980 and better than a 6gb 1060

>lmfao
I expected nothing less from an underage nvidiot. Go home

>$900 amd flagship is faster than a $450 and $250 gpu with half the amount of cores

I should think so too. The 780 ti still kicks ass today as well. Faster than all of these cards.

>saves money getting amd
>gets raped with electricity bills
You're doing it wrong, son.

Nigger please. I'm a full grown adult and I don't even go to Sup Forums.
It just happens -- and I know this is hard for you to understand -- that some of us are actually not autistic nor spend time doing useless shit on special snowflake so-called "OSs."

on that same benchmark, a $1000 780ti is barely faster than the $300 gtx970, nearly 10% slower than the 290x it was meant to compete with

> with half the amount of cores
You can't compare cores directly in those cards. AMD cards were better in GPGPU applications, but "more cores" means shit in games.
> 780 ti still kicks ass today as well
Already sucks in Forza games.

hush hush we dont talk about 780ti
especially when it comes to dx12 perf its a no no that it fucks up a 970 and its on par with a 980 at some cases...

funny thing about 7xx cards.. because they are superscalar desings with a hardware sc nvidia cant really use their shitty driver to gimp them and when it comes to dx12 780ti in some cases is on par with a 480 (aots in some heavy scenes)

Yeah I'm coming from an r9 290 and it was nothing but problems. My friend lent me a 750 ti while I got the money for a new card and it was much more stable, worse performance by far but much more stable. The same friend got a 480 and is already annoyed with it. If VRAM is your concern then get the 1060 6gb or the 480. I don't think it will make a difference now and I'm not smart enough to tell you about the future, so honestly whatever fits you the best, both price and looks, is what you should grab.

1. The 780 ti was never $1000 whereas the 290x was $900 for extended periods of time

2. Stock benchmarks aren't representative of real world performance since 99.99% of people looking at the gpu market buy aftermarket which is whole different story

3. Any aftermarket 780 ti with a modest overclock is faster than all those cards, as I mentioned before but you seemed to have ignored.

Video evidence doesn't lie.

When you type like an underage Sup Forumsedditor I'll assume you're an underage Sup Forumsedditor. There is no excuse for how nvidia treats users of their hardware like this, half assing drivers for a quick shekel like the jews they are. Go home to your containment board,

>can buy Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming and MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8GB at the same price
>still can't decide
>see this thread

Thanks guys
Now I am even less sure what to buy