/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Drakeposting Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820147466
pcpartpicker.com/list/TLtwkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/HzbWBP
wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-35ghz-cpu-spotted/
pcpartpicker.com/list/c2bFKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/b4YVGf
pcpartpicker.com/product/WWbkcf/msi-motherboard-z170igamingproac
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gcm4BP
pcpartpicker.com/list/98ywkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/BWj3m8
pcpartpicker.com/list/cXRLwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/fdzzFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wxk4BP
pcpartpicker.com/list/9pRLwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/2NZkgL
jonnyguru.com
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84AK0703
corsair.com/en-us/sf-series-sf450-450-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu
pcpartpicker.com/list/p3k4BP
pcpartpicker.com/list/9hzzFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gtk48d
pcpartpicker.com/list/WdywkT
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Man, I love drake posting

>EK
>Koolance
>Swiftech

Whose shit should I be buying for a new full loop? Already have a water block, but need everything else. Pump, fittings, radiators, reservoir, etc. Should I be mixing components from each? First time I've done this.

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820147466

Once again what do you think of this for my SSD will the higher read and write speeds be worth it or would I be better off with something slower with higher capacity?

Is it the size of the mouse that you don't like? There are some pretty huge mice out there like the g600.

someone build a 6gb gpu build for someone just wanting to complete his backlog - now over $1000

Whatever you buy, wait until Zen is out. Prices will drop.

You guys got any keyboard recs?

EK just seems like they have the largest selection of stuff so without knowing more specifics I would stick to their line of stuff.

You're the dude with the velociraptor right? Just go with the m.2 if you're still thinking about it. 256 is plenty for your OS and a few key programs.

Can we add a line in the Op about not buying Corsair CX power supplies? It pops up like 8 times per thread.

This is probably a good idea. Noted. There should be a like an AVOID section. (EVGA ACX 3.0/Corsair CX line)

Build a PC with 6700K now OR wait for Zen OR wait for Kaby Lake? What the fuck is one supposed to do now?

But that would be easily confused with the much better CXM line.

This is why future-proofing nowadays is so fucking pointless. Just build whatever the fuck you want. It won't matter. Shit just flies out way too fast nowadays. 5k is also on the way too. It's not like many PC games are that well optimized anyway.

SOOO. Someone posted earlier about transferring their key. I googled and found the run command to figure out what version I have. I have a laptop fyi and the run command says I have retail.

That means I can transfer right? it has activation id/link/licensce link

r-r-r-right guys?

os key

Just build with a 6700K you won't regret it.

Same thing goes for a 1070 or 1080. All the people going "just wait, wait for the 1080ti!" are in the same stuck loop.

That loop is what kept me from actually building any rig at all for like 10 years. Every time I tried to put a parts list together there was either another generation of Intel or another generation of nVidia just over the horizon that was worth waiting for ad infinitum.

ZEN SR3 CPUs were already confirmed to be $150 with the same performance as the i7-6700K so you should wait.

Hey guys, I'm still a novice when it comes to custom PC building and I would like some advice:

This is my current build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/TLtwkT

And this is what I'm looking to buy:
pcpartpicker.com/list/HzbWBP

1. First and foremost, do you think it's worth it for me to upgrade? I won't be running 4k res games, I will be sticking with 1080p. I would still however, like to run my games on high performance smoothly: (Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, WoW, Overwatch, etc). I have noticed a few issues recently; with Titanfall I'll experience crashes and when I switch from games (Completely closing out and then loading up the next game), like from WoW to Titanfall or vice versa, my PC will lag and freeze up.

In regards to the new build:

2. This will be my first time using an SSD. I understand its functionality, I just want to ask if it's really worth it. I know people put their OS on it and a few games for faster boot-up/load times. Is it worth the $85? or are there much cheaper alternatives.

3. I looked into different parts to see if I was making the most out of my money. As far as I know it seems that the build is worth it, but I would feel more confident if I ran it with you guys, since you have the experience and knowledge I lack. If there are alternatives that are more cost-efficient I would love to hear it.

Note: This was added after I wrote all this up. As of right now, my games run graphically the way I want them to. The issue is the lag, crashes and slow boot up. Thinking about it now; would it be better for me just to purchase an SSD and throw things like Titanfall, and my OS on it? Thank guys, you are the best.

Not in my shithole of a country they won't.

Don't buy that. Get a different SSD and wait for Zen/Vega before upgrading CPU/GPU.

Different manufacturer or just a different one from Kingston okay.

And if I may get clarification. Would the wait be for a price drop for my build? Or is the Zen/Vega just the way to go for when they're released.

You can't transfer it because the motherboard is registered to Microsoft with that key. It's been hardware based since at least 7.

Zen is expected to have 2x the performance/dollar of Intel's current CPUs.

wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-35ghz-cpu-spotted/

Any good cyber-monday graphic card deals in europoor land? I could really use a decent discount.

well it doesn't matter. I'm too noob, it says that if I deactivate it I can't use the laptop anyway

>wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-35ghz-cpu-spotted/

Oh that is very promising. So I just looked up everything you mentioned. So the Vega is expected to come out end of this year. I've never picked up a GPU/CPU/MOBO on release date. In this case, would it be worth purchasing the Vega on release if I've got the cash, or wait until the Zen and the MOBO is released in Jan/Feb and just purchase all together. I'm unfamiliar how prices fluctuate post-release.

>tfw I will now be part of the i7 club

someone help me

How important is the memory on a video card?
I haven't seen any Nvidia cards inside my range with 8 gigs and some have 3 gigs but good reviews.

>Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in the prohibited items list for a courier service.

Very important. Too low VRAM causes spikes in the frametimes which make the experience much worse than you would expect from looking at the average FPS.

Fuck you I want an optical drive

Does single vs. dual fan make a difference in regards to graphics cards? I'm doing a couple builds and going with 1060s.

I've finally narrowed it down to 2 GPU choices.

Which should I buy, a RX 460 or a GTX 750Ti?

I can get the RX 460 for £100 new, or the GTX 750Ti for £70 pre-owned.

Pic related is my current build, planning on upgrading the GPU and RAM for about £130ish

So theres some pretty good deals on the RX 470 at the moment, and it'd be a significant upgrade over my R9 270. And with the expenses that Christmas brings, it's probably my best option in the short term.

Just debating between getting it now, and maybe upgrade later next year to something better. Or just wait until Vega comes out and choose between that and a 1070.

What's your CPU?

I'm in the same boat actually. Do you know if you'll have the cash for Vega release?

pcpartpicker.com/list/c2bFKZ
How does my build look?

About to buy a new rig on wednesday, but put off with all this Zen talk. i7 6700k is what I'm going for. Should I wait, or just go for it?

gotchu senpai

pcpartpicker.com/list/b4YVGf

>skylake comes out
>just wait for kabylake lol
>kabylake comes out
>just wait for zen lol
Don't be a waitcuck.

What are the chances 980 Tis go on sale at $300 again on Monday?

isnt the vega / 1080ti going to be like 1k + dollars?

I was wondering if I could I replace the cooler master hyper 212 evo with something more cheaper but not shitty.

Get a Z170 mobo, or switch to a i5 6500. You need a Z170 in order to OC your CPU, which is what the K is for. Would recommend this mobo if you're planning to stick to MSI.
pcpartpicker.com/product/WWbkcf/msi-motherboard-z170igamingproac

I switched the Mobo to the M5, thanks.

Source? I know that the SR7 SKU is at or above the 6900K, but I'd been sinfully ignoring the other two

How does this look for a nice portable PC? I don't want to spend too much on it since I already have a gaming PC at home, but since my job requires me to travel around a lot I want to have a PC for the road. I'm not going to play the most intense games (obviously), and I want the budget to be at around $600.
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gcm4BP

They are both really weak senpai. Not sure what to tell you. Check the 1050 out. The 750 Ti is really old. What do you plan on doing with it?

Welcome comrade

K e k

pcpartpicker.com/list/98ywkT
or
pcpartpicker.com/list/BWj3m8

Between those two definitely the single 1070

are corsair cx psus really as bad as people say?
pcpartpicker.com/list/cXRLwV
is this build okay with the 550w?

could I replace the cooler master hyper 212 evo with something more cheaper

sli is a meme unless you're doing sli with high end cards such as 1080 and the upcoming 1080ti

just get the 1070

Yes
Also
>1060s
You can't SLI 1060s and its fucking stupid to want to anyways

Is the Carbide 88R only available with the window?

It's not a big issue, but I'd rather have it without for that slight bit of extra quiet. Currently deciding between the carbide and the fractal design core 1000/1100.

shit my b i meant
pcpartpicker.com/list/fdzzFd
or
pcpartpicker.com/list/Wxk4BP

i fucked up my lists

Consider purchasing a few aftermarket fans and clipping them to the 212 with the included mounts

>are they as bad as people say.

People meme about how bad they are. They do an ok job and unlike el cheapo PSUs can actually handle the advertised wattage/amperage. They don't provide very clean power, exceptionally efficient power, or great build quality though.

They're what I would consider minimally acceptable. I wouldn't use a CX psu with a $1500 rig, but I wouldn't think twice of using one in a $500 rig.

I wasn't planning on SLI.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9pRLwV

I'm liking this build I got here, but I wanna see if I can lower the price even further.

It's happening.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2NZkgL

i hope you like the smell of melted VRAM

Would I have to worry about whether my copy of Windows 10 is genuine or not when I install it on a new PC build? It was mentioned briefly in the pastebin but I haven't seen talk of it anywhere else.

Get a better case, GPU and PSU

>EVGA overheating meme.
>Only affects the twin-fan ATX cooler models

Why are people so retarded?

What's wrong with any of those things.

i3-4400, H81 motherboard. But i'll probably do GPU > CPU(maybe generation upgrade to Kaby) > superior GPU throughout the year.

Shit taste in cases. Get a Zotac AMP! Extreme or MSI Gaming X/Z 1080. Get a Seasonic PSU. Also, your RAM is overpriced.

HELP!
This site
jonnyguru.com
Does not have a review of the PSU I'm looking for. Where should I look now?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84AK0703

I'm mostly certain this will be the part, but feel anxious without someone looking over my shoulder.

Need monitor deals.

Prefer 1440p for my 1070 + 6700k, 4k would be too much to handle. Ultrawide 1080p could be nice too. Also 144hz.

Really just trying to figure out what combination of Hz and dimensions are good + if you goys know of any particularly titillating monitor deals for this weekend/monday.

Paying $300 would be nice too.

it means you should look for a new psu

So, is this an old PSU?

bumping this

Yes.
Now look for a new one.

Preferably Seasonic.

Is there really a difference between the cx and the cxm lines?

I thought that the only difference was that one is modular.

How about this one?
>Corsair said there would be all Japanese capacitors, and that's what we have. Nippon Chemi-Con, all of them. Lotsa polymer caps in this unit. Wait... I stand corrected on the capacitors. We do have one single Rubycon.
>corsair.com/en-us/sf-series-sf450-450-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu

Would one of them being Rubycon instead of Nippon Chemi-con, be a failure?

pcpartpicker.com/list/p3k4BP

Thoughts? I was thinking of getting a cheaper MOBO and CPU fan. What would you guys suggest?

>450w
>SF
>Gold

Pcpartpicker and list your build man, what are you running?

Why do I need to use PC Part Picker?

Can someone build something on PCPartPicker with a 6700k and a GTX 1080? I need suggestions.

Why wouldn't you?

Because I already picked my parts. I need only RAM and PSU.

Give me a text list then.

do you have a good monitor?

pcpartpicker.com/list/9hzzFd

>Motherboard: Asus M5A 97LE R2.0
>CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450
>Hard drive: yes
>Optical drive: yes
>USB devices: yes
>Floppy drive: hell, no
>RAM: DDR3. 8GB, maybe?

>choosing AMD

the hell kind of list is this? from a prebuilt?

>I was thinking of getting a cheaper MOBO and CPU fan
Not going to happen, that's as cheap as is gets if you want an unlocked CPU.

A list I typed right now.

AAaaand this is all I was able to make from the list you setup.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Gtk48d

I wanted to see the SPECIFIC parts you had in mind so I could put them in PCpartpicker so it would be easier to work with.

Hell, you didn't even list your case.

Is this a reply for ?

ok why are you buying two seperate 1TB hard drives for 30 dollars more than the price of one 2TB hard drive?
everything else looks fine desu senpai

Not the guy you've been talking to but what the actual fuck are you doing man.

save $100

pcpartpicker.com/list/WdywkT

>Hard drive: yes

Not the guy you're asking but there is some advantage to having redundancy in a RAID setup if you aren't sure you need all 2 TB of storage right away.

What is the problem with what I'm doing?