Lubuntu is the perfect replacement for XPfags

> It's more lightweight than XP.
> You can install new software, try doing that on Windows xp and see what variation of an error message you'll get.
> DX9 works perfectly on WINE

what are the cons?

lots of minor annoyances especially for newbies, prime example is having to enter a string instead of just checking a box to switch the clock from 24 to 12 hour

XP works perfectly fine with new software, what are you talking about?

You're thinking of Cinnamon Mint.

He really really isn't, are you fucking retarded?

Yeah it was little niggles like this that turned me off it. Hopefully most / all of them will have been ironed out in 17.04, if it actually brings LXQt.

>It's more lightweight than XP
Seriously, nigger? It uses more RAM even before LXDE shows up at all.

Nodrivers

My lubuntu uses 140MBs RAM.

Did you compile the kernel yourself or something? Base setup used over 200 last time I checked.

>Had my brothers old netbook laying around
>intel Atom 1.4GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
>typical late 2000s netbook shit
>Windows 7 Starter installed
>Lags literally all the time, sometimes even by moving the mouse
>install my old 64 GB SSD
>install Lubuntu 16.04 (32-bit)
>Pretty efficient now
>Using it as my daily note taking and shitposting machine

comfy so far

off by 2. kys.

Are you fucking kidding me?

A non-native English Speaker in fucking Syria looked up and read some docs and made the clock the way he wants all under 10 min ans that's something stopping you?

My sincere apologies.

Is meant for

I didn't say it wasn't an easy fix, but shit like that is why lubuntu is not a good fit as a transition from windows. the little things get annoying and frustrating fast, after having to google a couple of things to fix them like you want, you just end up saying fuck this shit, why can't it just work and go back to windows. lubuntu is a great lightweight distro but it's not ideal for windows users. xubuntu is a better choice for that

>to 12 hour
Why would anyone want to do this?
Guess it is the same people who don't think the weekend is Saturday and Sunday.

Already have m8

>why would anyone want to do this
and that my friend is the prevailing attitude that keeps linux from going mainstream. most folk will choose convenience over precision every time

So you have the power to enter a formatting string instead of having a dozen tick boxes?
If that stops you from doing anything, you are an idiot.

No, just turned off samba, cups an shit(but not much really). And probably also "pcmanfm --profile" which enables clickable icons on desktop. Forgot to tell i have a 32bit version based off ubuntu 14 04 not 16

And also bluetoothd

I use it, and love it. Only weird thing is some updates remove CUPS for me, so I have to keep reinstalling my printers drivers.

For somebody coming off the boat from Windows 7/8/10, I recommend KDE Plasma because it has the same taskbar that you're used to of it "being a launcher that turns into window-tabs"

>having to sift through google results to find the right string to enter to get what you want instead of conveniently checking an option from a list makes you smart
um, ok
you see, this is why linux will never be more than a niche os for super nerds

Fresh install of the newest 14.04 server without any addons.

You say that like having idiots use Linux is a desirable thing. Software with idiot user bases ends up catering to idiots. Look at Ubuntu. They figured out their user base was idiots so they sold them out to the Amazon bot net.

Ubuntu server with xorg and jwm

sudo apt-get install xorg
sudo apt-get install jwm

101mb used minus cache, that's as light as XP, or about as light.

>people who have different wants than me are incomprehensible idiots
ok son

>ubuntu server
>jwm

>weretalkingaboutlubuntu.png

>more lightweight than xp
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lubuntu doesn't install on my Pentium 4 laptop

>I want my software to be designed for people who can't read the fucking manual.

There's plenty out there. Try that instead of shitting up other stuff.

In terms of storage size and RAM fagdan. XP was made with limited resources in mind compared to win7>

Have you tried minimal?

>reading the fucking manual
>is a good replacement for xp
these two are pretty much mutually exclusive, don't like windows users way of doing things? then don't advertise your shit distro as a windows replacement. if documentation has to be read to work shit then there's no point in not just going full on arch

How many megabytes does the idle desktop use?

> It's more lightweight than XP.
false.
> You can install new software, try doing that on Windows xp and see what variation of an error message you'll get.
less than in lubuntu.
> DX9 works perfectly on WINE
So I'll get to play rocket league and some MOBAs. Lucky me.

Lubuntu is beautiful

It is excellent.

Used it for a good few years before going Ubuntu MATE, but would switch back if I had lower end hardware.

%I:%M %p

I forget what is %I without a 0 prefixed before single digit hours

Seconding KDE as a 7/8/10 replacement.

Neon's resources can be brought down considerably too. I was able to trim my installation down until it idles at about 420mb RAM. For a "heavy" DE, that's not bad.

>windows doesn't have manuals
Pic related to how I learned to use Windows. This used to come with Windows. Now it's in the help system because data is so much cheaper than paper and most winniggers now days are afraid of words on paper. They look too much like child support orders.

forgot my pic

Vanilla Openbox --> XFCE --> MATE

Go in that order depending on specifications.

LXDE is only "minimal" in that it doesn't do shit, rather than doing lots with few system requirements.

You don't get manuals with anything these days.

>spend hundreds on device
>don't even get a 5 bucks book on how to use it

Fuck everything.

>pretending windows isn't intuitive to use, so your contrarian os looks better
bruh, I'm not saying lubuntu is bad, just that it's stupid as shit to call it a drop in replacement for any version of windows

>it's stupid as shit to call it a drop in replacement for any version of windows

extreme retard detected

Why not use 24 hour clock like a civilised person?

LXDE

Lubuntu won't even boot up with 64MB of ram.

>muh leightweight

why don't you fucking pajeets just upgrade from your 15+ year old toaster?

I concur, actually. Lubuntu is a very good operating system.

xubuntu is overall better.

It's a fucking shame. I learned so much sitting on the toilet as a kid. I guess this is the price we pay for making tech so easy niggers can use it. Even games with 8 buttons had this shit.

What about LXQT

Windows XP doesn't support anything past DX9.

What is your point?

people want their tech to be so dumbed down that it's "just supposed to work". they rage if something isn't already working, or simple to change by clicking a check box, etc.

i like LXQT.

I tried LxPup Tahr on a shitty aspire netbook and it ran decently.

XP Black Edition is pretty gud. XP works fine for many devices, and few users need security IRL.

>pajeets
Is this Sup Forums's version of Sup Forums's insult, i.e., "pleb"?

or just another shitty meme

oh wait, that's the same thing, so i guess i answered my own question