"Native" web applications

Let's discuss this disease of "native" web applications such as Slack or Discord.

For real. My office recently started using Slack and this piece of shit "software" is beyond me.

They take us for fools not seeing through their lazy asses not wanting to make some proper applications. It is infuriating to say the least and nobody else seems to bat an eye.

Who with me?

Other urls found in this thread:

drewdevault.com/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's wrong with slack, other than 'muh bloat'?

drewdevault.com/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html

>proprietary software
>shitt client(s)
>little/no control over your user data

there you go

>proprietary software
>shitt client(s)
>little/no control over your user data
Fair enough, I thought you were calling them lazy because they used javascript/electron to make it.

well yeah, that too

apparently 800mb ram usage for a chat client is considered normal by the developers

Damn that's ridiculous. They really need to fix their shit, I wonder what's eating up all that memory.

I really do think that these native web apps are going to have a big future though. Extremely fast development time and easy to write HTML/javascript. They just need to fix the bloat and include electron in a library or something, so you don't have to install 30MB of electron runtime + whatever the app is every time.

since you are a NEET with 0 work experience, i wouldn't expect you to understand.

find me a better tool that provides most of what slack has that is cheaper and is quicker to set up and configure. protip: you cant. that's why slack is where they are.

IRC

>is quicker to set up and configure
why am i not surprised you didnt listen.

>uses windows
>bitches about proprietary software and lack of control

I have slack on osx and it uses no memory.

>using the desktop client
just keep the browser tab open or use the mobile app

>no snippets
>no file uploads
>no link/image preview
>no pinned messages
>stateful protocol
slack and irc serve different purposes

Nobody is forcing you to use it. If you don't like it you can find another job.

>muh voluntarism

blame it on the jews

>press f5 in """"""""modern """"""""""""" """"hackable"""" ide
>it refreshes

Nobody you fucking idiot native ios or andriod apps are dead; its all web now and thats how it should have always been

>every brand should have its own language to make apps

what a stupid fucking concept

>i'm too effeminate to learn anything besides javascript

>implying there's anything wrong with femininity
i suggest to seek help to deal with your sexual insecurities my man

/piece of shit/ general?

web apps are the future. eliminating operating systems and replacing them with web apps is like eliminating dial up software clients and replacing them with hardware modems. forget pc, mac, android, iphone, and linux and all the obscure hipster operating systems like bsd and plan9 (OH GOD I NEED TO REPLY TO THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), you now have software that will work on any OS and doesn't require any hardware to run it.

Sup Forums doesn't really care about software or "technology", even when someone bends to their gay made up will they say they want, all of a sudden they still have to be contrarians and say they wanted something else now.

>updates
>platform dependency
>new releases
>having to rely on shitty IE 6 and 10 year old firefox
desktop software is dying

you'll change your mind once you try some programming and learn technology beyond html5 and css flower pots

what the fuck are you smoking, I have 90 on discord right now

>>implying there's anything wrong with femininity
>i suggest to seek help to deal with your sexual insecurities my man
? Did you just assume my gender

>defines his masculinity and sexuality by the number of programming languages he's familiar with

wew lad i didn't think these levels of autism were possible

are you a qt 3.14 """girl"""?

the reason they do this is because OS developers have proven they will never stop acting like children and will never make their OSes cross-compatible in any way. The only folks that have proven themselves capable of doing so are the ones working on web tech and browsers, so of course developers flock to making webapps: you don't even have to care what OS it's gonna run on, it just works everywhere

Efficiency and a small codebase is everything, gramps. Get with the times, gramps. Nobody wants to have to make 10 different UIs for their program to suit every fucking OS anymore.

>you need to use a flower pot language to make things cross platform
>what is QT and other cross platform libraries
people used to understand technology in my days

I sexually identify as a japanese lolita 13 y/o shitlord

shut up cuck boy

There's kivy(python) and lambdanative(scheme) which use opengl rendering. At least lambdanative compiles down to C.
Then there's QT but other than that there's not many frameworks that let you develop cross platform apps.

Funny that there's million game engines that can deploy cross platform(mobile, pc) but no game engines are not really good for general applications.

JavaFX

*molests*

Use Franz instead

That's because Slack's desktop application is just Chrome that loads their website.

They suck because they're made to the specs of mobile apps- few features, zero functionality without forking over personal data, "minimalist" design meaning the features that DO exist are hidden.

They suck because you people let that become "good enough"

cool arguments faglordios. nobody interested in your obscure shit-on-purpose hipster 80s lang hello worlds?

>most common used languages
>hipster from the 80's
lol
you're revealing that you never had IT jobs and experience, keep sinking yourself man

>keep sinking yourself man
holy shit, now anonymous users on an image board might not agree to be his friend in this one thread

stop taking yourself so seriously

RIOT
but IRC and a ticket/bugsystem gets the job done too.
Mugi
It also laggs everywhere. For a first gui and prototyping web tech can be usefull. E.g. I love Etherpad and even Discord works somehow. Hyperterm on the other hand is the worst piece of SHIT I have ever very briefly used (on macos and linux).