Arguing with Linux user about why I don't use Linux

>Arguing with Linux user about why I don't use Linux
>Bring up document processing
>"Oh, just use LaTeX dude!"
>Look it up
>Its a standard from the 1970s where you literally have to program your own documents

How do Linuxfags even put up with this shit? Doesn't it hurt to slow yourself down so much just to use a contrarian OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

me.bios.io/images/0/0f/Csk_lacon12_intel_amt.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>e-e-enjoy getting spied on l-loser

Hello and welcome to Sup Forums - Technology.
You can use other text editors as well. You may even run Microsoft (tm) Office (R) under Wine or in a virtual machine.

> can't even use latex
Either you are in Community College or shit university or you are making burgers in McDonalds

Or have a job where you actually need to be productive and not use your OS as a toy

I kind of use LibreOffice to the point i no longer know how to use word properly. But i used LO on windows to start with so its not much of a difference for me. The main reason for this was that on word 2007 the equations looked retarded and were friking annoying to input, picking boxes to input shit and so on, while in LO i could just write the equations continuously. So i use LO for 5 years now an I'm a happy person. Also i use Linux for 4 years now, mainly because its easy to set up ,works on my hardware without problems, and runs faster overall, without tonnes of startup applications/AV/updaters slowing it down.
Also Linux is nice for my hard disk space, since the file structure makes more sense to me and the system seems to clutter itself less when you install and remove programs.
Thx for this obvious bait thread.

desu if your job requires using just word (from the whole MS Office), you could probably use google docs anyway. Also there is a very high probability you are unable to use word properly.

>just install windows on your linux machine

>big companies see nothing wrong with installing Windows VM on a Windows/OSX (or macOS now i guess) host
>somehow this is bad when applied to Linux
but really though, you use Linux because you want to, and use Windows because you have to.

>Have to fake a whole Windows Distribution on my Linux computer to write Into an Office doc in a virtual machine

Well, no.

Why not? Most computers have the power to do it.

Well you could use libreoffice or openoffice which has basically everything you'll need in 95% of cases. Hell Im pretty sure you could even use google docs or whatever the fuck its called if you really wanted to.

With that being said there are things you can do in latex that there is no way to do (efficiently) in any other program. If you cant think of a reason why you'd need latex then just dont use it

>document processing
check out scrivener, if you like it it's also available for winders

LaTex actually gets a lot of use in academia and research publishing. Having to input math formulas and such in Office 2003 was a nightmare. This was built around specialized formatting.

Well now that there's a thread for this, everyone should know pandoc. Generating TeX/PDF output from markdown is so damn comfy rarely even bother with anything else for writing documents.

>tfw you HAVE to learn latex in MIT

There is a WYSIWYG latex editor for noobs.

>program documents
\section{name}
some text

Wow creating documents is so hard on linux you guys.
I have only used notepad on windows, so I don't think people can put things like auto completion, hotkeys, macros, snippets, dictionaries inside text editors.

Writing documents this way is so much easier for everyone involved.
I thought it was slow at first too, but it is very comfortable as the tools are better.

If you want to use office, why not just use wine?
It is great for that sort of thing.
Just click on the "install office" icon, select the iso and it works.
It is not much different to installing yet another version of .net on windows.

office 2007+ uses a dialect of latex for the formulas.
Eg. you type "\int_a^b" and press space and it converts it into an integral sign.
Editing it is a pain though and is faster to just rewrite the whole thing.

Tools of the trade I guess.
I have given students a short introduction and they all jumped on it.
The first document is a bit of a challenge as you need to think of documents in a different way.

>CV not written in LaTeX

I am the trashman, destroyer of plebs.

I use Windows 7 on my main machine (I like video games) and Linux on my laptop and all of my secondary machines.

I wouldn't "argue" about Linux to anybody. Unless somebody only does basic shit, I'm sure they're going to find some reason to hate being on Linux for their main machine. Windows 7 is just perfect right now, everything works.

I don't like Windows 10. Not just because of the privacy stuff, some games just won't run on it. It's a step backwards for Windows, I don't like my operating system getting in the way of what I want to do. I just want everything to work.

Latex is great, meanwhile most respected countries have an open standard like .odt or .pdf.
There is no actual reason to use MSOffice anymore, we all use libreoffice at work because it's great works on everything and no pay stuff also freedom

>There is no actual reason to use MSOffice anymore

excel

Are you an idiot? There's botnet on hardware level in any computer made in recent years.

me.bios.io/images/0/0f/Csk_lacon12_intel_amt.pdf

>what is .ods

>send a file to come corporate entity who's exclusively on MS stuff
>"huh, .ods, what the heck is that"
>into the trash it goes
>"must have been some virus, let's blacklist his email too for good measure"

Sounds like a great plan to burn bridges ahead of you well before you even cross them.

>Using .docx documents past middle school.
You have to go back, Pajeet.

>just tell them it natively opens in MS Office
>oh okay!
>shit just werks
been doing this at my college and nothing wrong so far, for jobs use .pdf

Isn't Excel's processing ability much faster than libre's? Sure, .ods exists, but the actual program excel is faster with bigger datasets, right?

yes excel is far better than calc but .ods still works natively on it so using LO can work fine for modern use

The point where Excel becomes better than Calc is the point that you should learn to use SQL for that job instead.

I actually only use LaTex cuz i got so used to it from all the university stuff

Latex is great if you know it though. It is a superior format which is why it is still widely used in the scientific community. Nearly all math books and science books you read in school was likely made in latex.

You still are not educated if latex is unknown to you

>send .pdf file to the company you're applying for a job.
>"we asked to send a .doc but you sent us a .pdf, we couldn't read your resume because word claimed it was damaged"

>sql
enjoy having to normalize relationships, determining functional dependencies and all the database stuff.

then don't work there you fucking autist
they are obviously too retarded to run a company
.pdf is used in E V E R Y company and is the most likely format to get you a job, MS Office files are a little less likely

It's not because of that. They want .doc so it's editable and they can put their own remarks inside or even change stuff if for instance a conversation with you gives them the impression you lied about something etc.

>not sending your resume in .djvu

What's .djvu?
I have never heard of it

a file format for storing scanned documents. it has a pretty good compression ratio

>implying if they couldn't read it they would give a response to the candidate at all.

Many PDF viewers support comments.

>frogposting
>>>/reddit/

>.doc
We block that shit on our mailserver, it works tho
Most countries respect OpenDocument as the open standard so if your company doesn't allow that it's shit.

>implying the typical recruiter would use anything other than the adobe reader to view a pdf

LaTeX is actually pretty damn nice for academic papers that involve a shit ton of math, and gets pretty regular usage in STEM fields.

But you shouldn't use it for everyday word processing. In fact, if your work heavily revolves around MS Office, just use Windows... at least for whatever computer you've dedicated to work. LibreOffice works for most things, but I've had compatibility issues with it from time to time.