Buy thinkpad for a good value laptop

>buy thinkpad for a good value laptop

>buy a new battery for it
>upgrade it to an SSD
>buy a new higher resolution screen
>spend half a day scraping a strangers cum out from under the keycaps

Why do you faggots do this when you can spend almost the same amount on a new laptop?
Pros of buying a new laptop instead of a shitpad?
>warranty
>more efficient parts
>better battery life
>thinner, lighter, and more portable

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332314
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RR4N00375
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L8PENTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1480314819&sr=8-13&refinements=p_89:Dell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=inspiron 11 3000
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Intel-Core-i5-M560-2-66GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-No-OS-/262719162549?hash=item3d2b4848b5:g:VX8AAOSw44BYKhVe
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet-Laptop-2-9GHz-i7-16GB-256GB-SSD-/232155155908?hash=item360d868dc4:g:ByAAAOSwj85YOFdb
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M4500-Win-7-Laptop-i7-640M-2-8GHZ-8GB-250GB-15-6-FX880M-DVDRW-/222327134393?hash=item33c3bad8b9:g:mbgAAOSw5cNYNJo5
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N3060-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3735F
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6650U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2450M/m40238vs2815
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people with jobs buy macbooks

Shittier keyboard, aesthetics and """design"""
2007 was a peak of laptop engineering

>that hinge
>no touchpad
>no webcam
>usb 2.0
Disgusting.

>Why do you faggots do this when you can spend almost the same amount on a new laptop?

Give me real world examples or STFU. Post links to ebay auctions and buy pages if you have the balls.

I'll bite.

>warranty
I don't care about warranty because i've never used warranty in my life but that's just me.

>more efficient parts
Define "efficient". If you mean energy efficient sure I'll give you that, but most of the time conflicts with your fourth argument by making the battery thinner.

>better battery life
By using low shit underpowered components like ULV cpus.

>thinner, lighter, and more portable
So less space for battery, less ports, less serviceable, worse cooling, less upgradeable and retarded shit like soldered cpu/ram.

You'll only convince me to replace my T60 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands, shill.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834332314

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RR4N00375

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L8PENTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1480314819&sr=8-13&refinements=p_89:Dell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=inspiron 11 3000

Get rekt.

Funnily enough, an i5 6200u should be performing better than an i5 2540m while using much less power.
Also.
>thinner battery
>still getting better battery life

What the fuck do you even use your laptops for? You act like you don't have a desktop.

Let's see

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Intel-Core-i5-M560-2-66GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-No-OS-/262719162549?hash=item3d2b4848b5:g:VX8AAOSw44BYKhVe

>buy this
>buy square trade warranty if you're a faggot that needs such things

>have perfectly good little laptop that will do everything you need

You don't need an SSD. Xubuntu will still be very quick running off of the HDD.

What kind of laptop can you buy new for $150?

People with jobs buy MacBooks.

People on Sup Forums with jobs buy used, pre-Retina MacBook Pros and upgrade them because
>ports
>function keys
>accessibility for upgrades
>look at the money i saved. LOOK!

i've bought 3 refurbs and they are always clean
part of 'refurbishing' a laptop is cleaning the cum out of the keyboard

and my refurbished latitude I paid 230 dollars for shits all over the 499 dollar plastic Wal Mart shit.

You do need a warranty if you buy a new laptop that cost less than 1000 dollars, because it's gonna fucking fry on you because it's poorly designed and constructed

>IdeaPad consumer junk with garbage input devices
>two-generation old Elitebook, not a new laptop in any way
>a Lell Chromebook with Windows 10, a fucking Celeron, and soldered flash storage
Into the trash you go.

OP are you me? I ordered my first thinkpad too

Lenovo E570 15.6" Laptop: i7-7500U, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe SSD, GTX 950M, Win 10 $510

>$600 i5
>$600 i5
>$200 laptop for toddlers

is this a joke? am I being rused?

I can buy an i7 Thinkpad with 16gb of ram off of ebay for hundreds of dollars less.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet-Laptop-2-9GHz-i7-16GB-256GB-SSD-/232155155908?hash=item360d868dc4:g:ByAAAOSwj85YOFdb

Good man.

There is no reason to buy a sandy bridge laptop in 2016. 15w laptop processors like i5 6200u are managing to outperform Sandy shits like the i7 2620m while consuming less than half as much energy.

Buying new is for suckers.

People with real jobs have their employers buy a MacBook for them.

There's plenty of reason to consider older laptops. Internals are by far the least important aspect of a mobile computer. Comfort, input, display, and expansion options matter infinitely more than how many points the CPU gets in your cherrypicked benchmark of choice. Don't fall for the hardware arms race propaganda.

Thinkpads are not actually the best value laptop. They have become too popular. Random laptops from Dell and HP with similar specs will usually go for less on ebay.

Like this Precision m4500
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M4500-Win-7-Laptop-i7-640M-2-8GHZ-8GB-250GB-15-6-FX880M-DVDRW-/222327134393?hash=item33c3bad8b9:g:mbgAAOSw5cNYNJo5

These are nicely built with a good screen resolution.

Yeah so enjoy your 5 year old ThinkPad with its 768p tn panel, considerably bulkier and heavier design thanks to needing more cooling, and useless ports.

>expansions
All you need is HDMI, USB type A, and USB type C.

>comfort
That includes me being able to use my Asus t100ta in bed because it's passively cooled, scroll with the touch screen, turn it into a tablet when I'm on the bus so I don't get awkward elbows, and charge it from my power bank when battery gets low because it uses micro USB to charge.

Now that's a comfortable portable pc experience that's cheaper than a thinkpad.

>inb4 some autist calls me out for the low end specs
Who cares? If you need performance, a desktop will always destroy a similar priced laptop.

>i5 6200u are managing to outperform Sandy shits like the i7 2620m

Even the i7-6500u can't outperform the 2620, let alone the 6200u

>useless ports

I bet you're the kind of person who thinks the VGA port is useless

>+5% single core
>+11% multicore
>15w vs 35w
>DDR4 instead of ddr3

Welcome to 2016 user, enjoy your stay

>Yeah so enjoy your 5 year old ThinkPad with its 768p tn panel, considerably bulkier and heavier design thanks to needing more cooling, and useless ports.
Try ten years old with 1600x1200 IPS. My laptop could beat yours in a fight, and then it could beat you in a fight, you limp-wristed faggot.

>All you need is HDMI, USB type A, and USB type C.
Yeah, just carry a million easily-broken adapters for everything and you're golden. I'll be over here hotswapping my fucking hard drive and my desktop GPU.

>makes no mention of the typing experience on his toy computer because he knows it's a joke
>smudges his greasy fingerprints all over his screen like a fucking Neanderthal
>thinks it's comfortable
You challenged the wrong bedposter. This machine wasn't cheap, but it still comes in at a price low enough that any new consumer laptops in the same price range are jokes in comparison.

>spent $200 on x220 with an i5 and 4GB ram
>spent $80 on battery

Meanwhile my dad struggled to find a decent laptop with the same specs around the same price.

i'm a big latitude cuck, i wouldn't compare a Precision to a Thinkpad in quality. it's more than specs with these machines, it's how durable/reliable they are

latitudes tend to be ~100 less than thinkpads with same specs, that's literally because the whole "thinkpads are the best" meme that started before Sup Forums existed when IBM made them and the only other good laptops in existence were Macbooks (which were truthfully better and pretty much have been better until this thundercuck port thing)

Inspiron 11 3000 with 4GB ram.
Solid performance for people who don't expect it to run video games, 8 hours battery life per charge, under 200 dollars.

Add a 64GB micro SD for storage and you're good to go.

>celeron

Are you fuckin kidding me?

>i3

What does he want to do that a celeron can't handle?

Run chrome maybe without going to 100% CPU usage

You want to know something funny?
My Intel Atom D2500 can do that too.

I'm fucking amazed how many tech illiterates are on Sup Forums these days...

Stop bluffing. Im running a baytrail as well. IT absolutely sucks dicks. Open a tab and its 100%

Atom celeron crap are basically for those who check nothing more than mail and youtube.

My email client takes 10 seconds to open.

You bought a thinkpad, no shit your computer is slow

You can just replace the keyboard easily

>HDMI
Opinion discarded. You're actually an idiot.

D2500 isn't baytrail you idiot.

I've also got a z3735f, it handles ~15 tabs in chrome easily.
That celeron easily outperforms my baytrail.

Go back to or you dumbshit.

That is the ideal design... When are lenovo making the 'retro' version?

>baytrail sucks dick
I'm sorry you can't run battlefield on a netbook user.
I'm truly so very sorry for your loss.

>All you need is HDMI, USB type A, and USB type C.

If you're some kind of pleb faggo that only uses your laptop as a facebook machine.

At the very least I want VGA, Ethernet, SD card reader, headphone jack, and microphone jack.

DisplayPort and eSATA would be nice in 17" units.

All of the laptops you link to perform worse and has less utility than my 5 year old thinkpad that you likely can get used for way under $200. How does this show your point? Get a t520 with i7 from 2011 for example and it has superior performance and way lower price than all of these.

>email client is AAA game

Wow. why is Sup Forums so trash these days?
D2500 is worse than the baytrail. You cant english do you? If baytrail sucks D2500 sucks even more.

It barely outperforms the z3735f. Stop acting like a retard

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-N3060-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3735F

>HDMI
>displayport
>VGA
>thunderbolt

Why the fuck do you need so many display ports? just stick with TB3 and connect whatever the fuck you want

>thinking an i5 6200u is slower than your shitty i5 ThinkPad
KEK

Look at the benchmark faggot.

Bought a used x131e and it's very portable and is pretty fast and responsive when in use considering its specs.

Buying used is smarter than dumping thousands on a laptop,

What excuse is there for vga when you have displayport or hdmi?

>CPUboss
Please tell me you're not being serious...

>dumping thousands on a laptop

wow, great argument.

>printscreen from userbenchmark

I thought you wanted to be taken seriously

Yes. Most people buy macbooks and they're above a thousand.

>t420 - 100
>250gb msata ssd - 80
> 2 1tb HDD - 200
> docking station - 14
>16gb ram - 20
350 quid for a laptop that will double as a desktop and out perform basically everything else at that price point by miles
HMMMMMMM

Who said anything about macbooks?

>buy laptop
>use it as a desktop
>pretend it'll outperform a similar priced desktop
Now that's autism.

>768p tn panel
>ThinkPad
This just proves that you are a stupid cock-sucking idiot.

I obviously meant out perform laptops you mongoloid

>Most people buy macbooks
>12% market share

>out perform basically everything else at that price point
>HMMMMMMM

I'm sure you did, that's why you were so specific about using it as a desktop.

the double as a desktop was just a bonus feature I was mentioning, c'mon son

>Why the fuck do you need so many display ports?

Because I have several types of monitors and some of them have only DisplayPort with no HDMI. Or only VGA. And there are all the monitors out there in the world I will run into the course of work or hobbies.

People who want a laptop with only 1 or 2 ports are people who do not live a life surrounded by technology. The tech they use -is- the laptop. And their phone. And maybe a HDTV. That's the extent of it. These people (like you) come along and tell people who are actually interested in technology how to live their lives.

RAISE YOUR DONGLES
A
I
S
E

Y
O
U
R

D
O
N
G
L
E
S

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6650U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2450M/m40238vs2815
Have a look a this

>why doesn't everyone carry adapters everywhere and make their lives harder to cater to my muh future autism

You came here from reddit circlejerks and try to challenge actually knowledgeable techie autists?
Give up, kiddo.

HAHAHAHA

And let's not forget the performance boost it'll get from ddr4 too.

Stupid people and people who can't be bothered buy Macbooks, don't try to force the money meme, you have a lot of debts to pay.

>comparing modern i7 vs 5 year old i5
>SEE IT PERFORMS BETTER HAHA
WOAH who would have thought? Now can you show me a laptop with a modern i7 for the price of a used laptop with an older i5 (under 300)? I'll be waiting.

A skylake 6200u is now classified as an i7
>a sandy bridge 2620m is now classified as an i5

I'm sorry, but what?

Also, your intentionally ignoring power consumption.

I shouldn't have quoted
, my bad. My point still stands for the other post.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm aware that modern processors consume less power. The downside is that laptops with these new parts are more expensive.

>He doesn't know about muh thermal throttling for muh battery saving.There all dual cores u shit

Not entirely. I5 6200u laptops aren't that expensive unless you also want other nice shit like 1080 IPS.

In which case it's about the same price as a MacBook Air.

Personally though I'm a huge fan of Intel atoms.

>that battery life
>that performance
>that comfy super portable x86 pc

People who aren't on welfare do that.