Future-proofing, 4GB vs 8GB

I need help Sup Forums

So I just bought the rx 480 4GB for 190$ swedenmoneys

I intend to play 1080p@60~ with my freesync monitor for a couple of years with this new card before I sell and upgrade

I'm just wondering if I should return it and spend 60$ on the 8GB version of this card for the "future-proofing" aspect, seeing as games start requiring more and more VRAM.

190$ for 4GB and 250$ for 8GB, worth it?
>What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B58ciXUTlA8
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-test-gpu.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there is no value in getting the 8gb 480 if you're playing gaymes at 1080p, i have a 3.5 cuck card and dont even have trouble.

you're also not gonna future proof with a $200 gpu, if you want the card to last more than a year or two you need a higher end card like a 1080 or titan xp

>if you want the card to last more than a year or two you need a higher end card like a 1080 or titan xp
you're the definition of a good goy

How about keeping the 480 4GB and waiting for maybe some mid-range AMD card with higher VRAM in Q1 2017??

Are there any mid-range cards coming out? What's that vega stuff I've been hearing so much about...Don't really know what's going on for amd atm

8GB on an underpowered card is kind of a waste, unless you do a lot of modding and/or intend on getting a second card for crossfire.

You're not going to use more than 2GB of VRAM at 1080p. Unless you're one of those fags modding skyrim to have a bunch of animu followers.

i bought a 480 8GB a month ago
it's a damn decent card, maxes out MUH GAYMES, doesn't sound like a jet engine and doesn't even heat up much, surprisingly.

the rx 480 is THE midrange card from AMD right now, anything they release from now will compete with the 1070/1080(ti)

there won't be any new midrange cards from amd in 2017, vega are the high end cards meant to compete with the 1070/1080/titanx. the earliest we'll see new midrange cards from amd and nvidia both will be early ~mid 2018

these posts are comforting, good stuff

so the newer AMDs in 2017 will be like double the price of this one I just bought, more aimed at the hardcore gamers? That's not me though..and the 60 extra bucks doesn't seem worth it, I guess I'm sticking with this one for a couple of years then.

Hope the game devs don't go balls to the wall with the VRAM what with all the newer cards having like 6-8 GB for the sexy textures.

>Will I VR?
>Do I eventually want to play in 1440p or 4k?
>Do I have the budget?
>Do I have the latest i5 or better?
If yes to any of these get the 480 8gb. Otherwise hold off until TI series from nvidia

>Will I VR?
>Do I eventually want to play in 1440p or 4k? nope, just bought myself a 144hz 1080p freesync monitor

>Do I have the budget? kinda, but it's like a bump from 190 to 250 $ for this

>Do I have the latest i5 or better? FX 8350 OCd to little over 4.6 I think

Oh, and no VR. Sorry for the greentexted reply

>I just bought the rx 480

jimmy, it's past your bedtime, stop playing with your 3.5 woodscrews already

>ayyy m d

>4GB vs 8GB

You do realize 6GB exists, right?

I wish that you would get the answer you deserve, user. Sadly there seems to be an abundance of memsters here right now.

I just bought a freesync 144hz monitor, I want to try this shit out dawg

If you have an amd processor than I would say keep the 4gb then. I have the fx 6300 and it bottlenecks pretty badly with my fx 480 8gb. I get about 4% better fps but that's mostly due to the 2000 mhz memory, not the size of it. Stick with the 4gb. The card is under powered but right now FX is really doing it a disservice because of how old it is. So in order to actually fully realize it you are looking at a system rebuild.

Get the 4gb.
Save for zen.
In 2018, buy your next card.

>freesync

nice tumblr image friend

I haven't given much thought to the bottlenecking, thanks mang. I'll be waiting for the zen and then upgrading all of my shit instead

#SavingMyselfForZen

you shut your whore mouth, it's incredible!

futureproofing is fucking pointless now

4k is already irrelivent, your shitty freesync monitor is too

5k and 10-12gb cards are coming

too much new shit flies out to bother futureproofing - games are also so horribly optimized nowadays anyway

also like most people who fell for it I doubt you even know what gsync and freesync are even about

youtube.com/watch?v=B58ciXUTlA8
Here you go man.
Like I said, get zen in 2017
New card in 2018
You will be set for a while.

>there is no value in getting the 8gb 480 if you're playing gaymes at 1080p,

maybe if you are installing heaps of texture mods in skyrim, fallout etc.

what does that have to do with the fact you don't need to mindlessly jump to 8gb cards?

I cry for the g/free-sync-less goys like you

Futureproofing is buying the best bang-for-the-buck midrange card every 3 years, i.e. every 2 generations.

4GB is enough for the next 3 years. Some games might use more, but it will not make a noticeable difference.

>can't run in window mode
>incredible
poojeet pls

thanks, I really appreciate it

I laugh at stupid fucks like you who fall for these fads that only last a few months until then ext one comes along.

Keep crying though, dumb fuck.

>Futureproofing is buying the best bang-for-the-buck midrange card every 3 years
>every 3 years

Sounds like fucking failed futureproofing to me.

Ok, I'll be real with you...

I needed a new monitor and wanted to buy a 144hz one, the monitor I bought was on sale from 330$ to 220$ and just happened to have freesync so right now I'm just being a dick really.

>4GB is enough for the next 3 years

lol no it fucking isn't - not 3 fucking years

in 3 years even 6gb cards will be irrelevant

Maybe I won't even notice a difference, we'll see.
I'm more likely to be reacting to the 144 hz aspect though.

>taking the "get a Zen" advice seriously

I'd say that the 4GB version is about right for 1080p. Some games like RotTR will have ultra texture options that require more than 4GB, but they're certainly not necessary

>You're not going to use more than 2GB of VRAM at 1080p
Have fun playing on low or simply not getting passable performance at all. Batman Arkham Knight is an example. You're going to be stuck with shitty textures

See the VRAM / texture comparison about a third of the way into this test
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-test-gpu.html

THE midrange price/perf is the RX470

>there won't be any new midrange cards from amd in 2017
Incorrect, little Vega will be released in 2017

You are a complete moron. First of all "VR" is at about 1080p at this point, so 4GB of VRAM is plenty.
Secondly, the 480 is obviously too weak for 1440p or 4K unless you're playing a game that has low resource requirements
Last, the CPU doesn't matter for texture res.
So STFU and GTFO

5K is even more of a meme than 4K. At some point 4K will be a standard but for now 1440p is great for monitor sizes+viewing distance.

Yes

You're quite literally a retard

No

Don't listen to the meme poster, maybe u play only old games or indie, but some unoptimized piece of shit game use more than 4gb vram or maybe u want to install some ultra HD yolo pack, go 8gb and sleep well

Rise of the tomb raide
Deus Ex MD
Shadow of Mordor
GTA V
Batman AK

^ use more then 4gb vram

If you want to sell it later, 8gb is always easier to sell than 4gb. Normies do not understand which card is more powerful than the other, to them more vram > better card.

Hell I had a hard time selling my 5850 five years ago, because the 6850 was already out. I had to explain it to the buyer that they changed the numbering and the 6850 is WEAKER than the 5850, and the top-end 6xxx card will be the 6950/70.

There's some games out now that already use more than 4GB...

Only future-proofing you'll ever need is more money.

They only use 4+ maxed out

A $250 gpu wont be maxing anything out
Only benchmarkers run with 32x SSAO SSAA HDAO+ HAIR WORKS

>A $250 gpu wont be maxing anything out
A $200 gfx card can max out any of the games he listed, except DE:MD, which is hard to get a high framerate on in general

i play on 1080p and can go over 4gb with doom and rainbow 6 siege

Just because a game will allocate more than 4GB doesn't mean that it needs to or that the framerate will fall if the card has 4GB.

I have an HD7950. Is rx480 a big improvement?

This. 8 GB was practically a meme on 390 and 390x, they just did it for marketing purposes to avoid being laughed at for rebranding Hawaii and to carve a niche out for modders.

Not much has changed since the 480 is just about as powerful as Hawaii. Most people will be bottlenecked by Polaris itself (or their CPU if they're on a shitbox) well before the difference between 4GB/8GB would make any difference whatsoever.

Yeah it will be a decent improvement, but I would keep the card until AMD's Vega comes out because it will get all the PS4 Pro tricks