>see "400w" and think it will be enough
>go home
>install everything except graphics card
>install os & drivers
>spend entire night downloading ~1TB worth of vydia
>shut pc off and proceed to install Rx 480
>no 8 pin pci-express connector

I HURT MYSELF TODAY

What tech fuck-up have you gone through anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-10.html
guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,8.html
techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/22.html
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5920#sp
asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING/specifications/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

MOLEX TO 8PIN RETARD

There are plenty of cheap and good ~400w power supplies, you just didn't buy one. Use a molex to pci-e power adapter and hope shit doesn't go down.

Back in 2009 while I was still living at home I build a PC with a cheap 500w power supply. Some how it added like $200 to the power bill in a month according to my aunt. I still don't believe her, something else must have happened but she showed me the bill. Shit went from $300 to $500.

I did my research and opted for the 470 instead of the 480 on my Dell machine for this very reason!

>no 8 pin cpu connector
>low amps on 12v rail
>1 pcie 6 pin
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL what the fuck were you thinking OP?

r u a hacker

At least you didn't buy a fake 400W PSU that's actually 100W.
You bought a 300W PSU

The RX 480 pulls between 150-180W on 12V, that PSU is capable of outputting 216W in spec.
Good luck running anything other than the card on it at the same time. It doesn't have a 6 pin for a reason.

1. Never cheap out on a PSU
2. Never cheap out on a PSU
3. See rules 1 and 2

Buy a real PSU (a 400W is actually enough, but buy some molex-PCIE). A quality PSU can handle the rated wattage no problem.

heh not yet but I'm going through an apprenticeship program with a true guru.

His advice was to "dress for the job you want" so I made my desktop dank and hackery

FUCK

Well I'm still gonna go buy a 500W EVGA PSU just to be safe. I heard the Rx 480 can go over 200W at times.

I have the 400w variant which is worse, no 6 pin at all. Besides I need an 8 pin

She was full of shit. My workstation (pic related) draws 900 watts under a full load with various benchmark programs. At $0.12 per kWh that works out to $77 per month assuming it was under 100% load the entire time.

>retards gonna retard

The PSU is the ONE component you cannot cheap out on.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=379

>Good luck running anything other than the card on it at the same time. It doesn't have a 6 pin for a reason.
So the molex to 8-pin was never really an option for me, huh?

I remember you. I bet those fans scream.

>buy good psu
>it just works
>fan never spins
Feels good, man

only if im playing vidya, then the GPU fans spin up to 6k RPM and I can hear them with headphones on.

>shit quality
>rated for 216W on the 12V rail
This isn't even about lacking the proper connection. The RX 480 alone draws >150W on the 12V rail in full load, that leaves a mere 66W at most for your CPU, storage and whatever gets used by the mobo/RAM. It's actually insufficient, even if it can deliver up to its rating.

Send it back and get a decent PSU, don't risk it with one which is obviously insufficient.

Who the fuck pairs a i3 with a rx480 and expects vidya to come out??!?!

wut...

retarded gaymur babbies, that's who

So....Sup Forums?

um, games are for children

What is the purpose of waiting to install a graphics card? Why would anyone do this?

>12v Rail
>18A
>216W

That's not a 400w PSU, that's a 220w PSU at best.

When you said cheaped out you werent kidding, i bought a better quality PSU back in 2002.

>He fell for the "smallest psu physically possible" Sup Forums meme
I have zero sympathy for you, I tried to warn you
I bet you STILL spent over $50 on it

Buying low wattage isn't the issue, buying low wattage SHIT quality is the problem.

Look at a seasonic platinum rated 400w PSU, it isn't cheap at all.

The seasonic has the same 400w rating as OPs unit, but where OPs unit only provides 18A on the 12V rail (216w) the seasonic unit provides 33A for 396w.

Both are 400w PSUs, but the seasonic is obviously miles better quality.

It also has a 6+2 pin PCIe power cable unlike OPs unit

I have a seasonic platinum 650w psu, it was $80
And obviously what he paid for isn't a 400w psu in the first place, this wouldn't have been an issue if he got a 600w for the exact same price that he paid, or listened to everybody telling him "just enough psu" is fucking stupid at the same price as overkill psu

The gold rated seasonic is $70 and the bronze seasonic is $60
How much money did he save buying a piece of shit "barely enough" psu?

Still, it's just factually incorrect to try and claim low wattage is a meme, it might cost more for a higher quality low wattage unit than it would for a medium quality higher wattage unit. But its not like having a 400w platinum PSU is a BAD thing if your computer doesn't even pull 350w.

Im not arguing technical engineering, I'm talking price.
OP bought a shit psu, he could've bought a good psu for $50-60, how much did he save by buying the absolute minimum of what he needed?
He made a poor choice in both wattage and quality, I want to see what he got out of it

Right and this excludes Sup Forums how? This place is basically Sup Forums: neckbeard edition and actually has less board related content than Sup Forums does. At least Sup Forums actually plays games - Sup Forums answers every question with memes.

It is impossible to have a civil discussion here about x86 cpus for example because of unrelenting shitposting. Sup Forums makes Hardocp's forum look like the house of lords.

>It is impossible to have a civil discussion here about x86 cpus for example because of unrelenting shitposting
Huh? Virtually everyone here uses an x86 machine daily.

The architecture isn't the issue per se - its primarily fact that VIA is 100% irrelevant for people so it devolves into shitposting about Intel vs AMD because for whatever reason one of those companies's products must always be better no matter the context than the other which blatantly isn't the case.

Don't cheap on the PSU. I can recommend the XFX TS 430W if you don't plan to overclock much

>decide to cheap out on the PSU last minute
you deserve what you got

nigga, you never buy the absolute minimum

do it
those molex to pcie cables are fucking shit and aren't really designed for that amount of power draw

>bought a 1000w PSU just to be safe
>i7 + GTX 770 SLI rig eats up nearly 750w under load
holy shit op and i thought i was doing overkill

Well the GTX 770 uses about 20w more than a GTX 1080.

Combined TDP for GTX 770 SLI is about 405w
SLI GTX 1080 are about 360w.

And the new i7's top out at ~95w TDP for desktop chips, you might pull ~150w when heavily OC'd.

So two GTX 1080 in SLI and a 6700k OC'd to 4.5-4.7GHz and you aren't even pulling 500w.

The days of 1000w PSUs are mostly done in the consumer space.

>SLI GTX 1080 are about 360w.
Thats the TDP for just the GPU, nothing else on the card

...are you retarded?

What else do you think is on the card?

3w worth of vRAM?

Just kill yourself

>400w
>ayymd
>i3
>bitching

lmfao

Actually the new i3's are very good for gaming. 2 cores hyper threaded.

>...are you retarded?
are you? do you know why the EVGA GTX 1080s were blowing up and catching on fire? Because they didnt have thermal pads connecting the MOSFETs the heatsink.

...okay? It doesn't change the facts, a GTX 1080 draws ~180w of power at full 100% load.

I don't care what you think you know, if you think it draws significantly more than 180w, you're literally retarded.

At most you might see some 3rd party coolers with triple fans and a decent OC and such pull ~200-220w.

>a GTX 1080 draws
no, the gpu draws that. the VRMs themselves clearly draw considerable power too if theyre catching on fire without a heat sink and fan

what do you think the VRM's do?

voltage regulators you tard, this isnt my job to spood feed you this

great, so you realize that the VRM's regulate voltage
but you haven't considered where that electricity goes after it has been regulated

>At most you might see some 3rd party coolers with triple fans and a decent OC and such pull ~200-220w
Eh, even a reference 1080 with the power target set to 120% will probably draw 200+ W and boost higher, as long as it's not getting too hot at least.

>I think power supplies are 100% efficient
stay retarded user, if they were, they wouldnt require heat sinks. Even your PSU has a fan, and the VRMs on your motherboard have heatsinks too. Why? Because they consume power you tard.

Wow he really is retarded....

If that's the case, show me some testing to show much "extra" power is being used up by these VRMs.

Must be double, maybe even triple the 180w TDP eh?

Fucking nigger faggot idiot.

stay btfo user

fantastic
yes, VRM's do have some waste in the form of heat
so lets sum up

about 40watts goes in through a few of the pins on the motherboard and is supplemented with about 130watts through the 8 pin connector
this electricity is regulated with the VRM's to provide a clean, even voltage to the main GPU die and it's memory/additional components

do some reading retard

>about 40watts goes in through a few of the pins on the motherboard
PCIE slots are rated for 75 watts

>i cant make an argument or provide quotes
>user please make my argument for me
confirmed btfo

>that and power draw
Why did they stay with that architecture for so long again?

>PCIE slots are rated for 75 watts
Well would you fucking look at that, if you'd read the article (), you'd be able to see the GTX 1080 when not overclocked pulls an average of 40w on the 12v motherboard connection (the connection providing power to your PCI slots), and a maximum of 62w.

Seriously user, we know we are right here, you're the one who hasn't posted a shred of proof to back yourself up.

guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,8.html
>184w consumption
techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/22.html
>OC'ed under 200w consumption

>i dont understand what a rating is

>guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,8.html
you cant even retard your own articles you tard:

> So this is an estimated value

>So this is an estimated value, albeit a very good one

>> So this is an estimated value

Yet you've ignored the article that is using a more advanced testing methedology to get power draw directly from the GPU? ()

Gee fucking Gee user, you're clearly just trolling at this point or you're actually mentally deficient.

>not even 80plus bronze

>a good value
>from some retards who are so poor they cant even afford a multimeter with a min/max function
I have a Fluke 117 which is capable of this, i'm pretty sure i spent more on probes than i did on the meter. The sites you keep on linking cant even afford a $150 meter, a PCIE riser cable and some wire

>The sites you keep on linking cant even afford a $150 meter, a PCIE riser cable and some wire

Just an FYI
That's ~$10k in equipment.

>tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-10.html
as I said, it pulls more than 180 watts

>Thermaltake TR2 in Bad Tier

First time I noticed that image to have that.

It's anecdotal but I have a 10 year old TR2 still going strong in an office PC. Agreed with everything until I saw this now I just question the entire list.

>average power draw still at 180w
>peak power draw exactly where I said it would be ~12 posts ago

> pull ~200-220w ()

Well alright then, have a good one. I'm gonna go eat some dinner.

Go to bed Jordan

>The 180W boundary is never crossed without overclocking. In fact, exceeding it would be impossible according to the engineers we asked. We repeatedly double-checked our results using different intervals, and the only measurement that gave us somewhat higher readings was 10ms interval (likely due to the measurement being less accurate).

so going 20 watts over during boost clock rates and under thermal limits causes fires?

No, not manufacturing your cards with proper thermal pads on VRMs will do that by itself.

>>peak power draw exactly where I said it would be ~12 posts ago
this post is the only one in the thread containing the word peak

>i dont understand the difference between average and maximum
look at the graphs and you can clearly see it crossing 300 watts on the non overclocked setup on metro

People have stopped replying, not because you're right, far from it. But because you're obviously just here for the You's

>clearly see it crossing 300 watts
>you cant even retard your own articles you tard:

Now let's switch to gaming under the highest overclock we could achieve with our GeForce GTX 1080 sample. Getting there required setting the power target to its 120% maximum and increasing the base clock to facilitate a 2.1GHz GPU Boost frequency.

>Now let's switch to gaming under the highest overclock we
Again you tard, for the overclocked profile it hits almost 400 watts. btfo yet again

yes, and 220w is going straight into those VRM's

Well for everybody except EVGA, the VRMs are included in the TDP

it never hits 400w, and further, 380w for a millisecond or two before it goes back down to 220w is hardly a 350w+ card.

Look at the average power draw, even OC'd, it barely goes over 200w on average.

They dont even specify the TDP you tard
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5920#sp
asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING/specifications/

I'm just saying if you're judging power consumption off of TDP, you're only considering the electronics attached to the heatsink

you're missing the point, which was that the cards draw more power than their TDP specs

>you're only considering the electronics attached to the heatsink
you mean the GPU at least for Nvidia. thats all their TDP specs are for. And this was my point that these autists refuse to believe when I started this shitstorm with this post -

I don't think anyone in here ever held the idea that a GPU couldn't draw more power than it's TDP, that's just common knowledge.

However, average power draw is far telling about a GPU than the highest peak power it has ever hit, even if only for a microsecond

you didnt bother to read did you?

I was the first one who replied user

Any word on how the EVGA G3 lines up?

What graphics cards are those?

> specifically buy hackintosh compatible hardware, spend hours trying to get it to run
> eventually succeed, performs beautifully
> fast forward one year
> upgrade bios
> bricks the whole fucking system, no way to fix it

oh well windows 10 isnt THAT bad i guess :/

if you're used to a UNIX-like, just move to a linux distro you can handle.

A bit more hands on to get it to the same level as OSX, but you can get it most of the way there with some general linux knowledge.

>> upgrade bios
>> bricks the whole fucking system, no way to fix it

From what environment did you flash the bios? from the OS itself?

Worse I went through was my Windows XP motherboard no longer working on me, fuck you microsoft for discontinuing support on Windows XP, they force me to keep my hard drive.

i like OSX because it's polished and consistent, and the attention paid to user experience down to minute details. i'm missing that in linux. i've used it before, i'm not knocking it, it's solid, but i'd still rather use windows. almost all good open source software is available for windows as well, which can't be said the other way around.

honestly can't remember. i _think_ it was from within windows (i had a dual boot setup already)

i dont even know why i felt the need to do that. retarded

Not much, just went to build my pc had only 1 stick of ddr4 ram and ap[apparently put it in the wrong slot and shit didn't boot up, but finally figured it out. Tfw your successfully boot up your first build.

Does the board have a dual or backup bios? Also have you tried using the clear cmos jumper and removing the little coin cell battery?

Sometimes that can kick it back into life if its gotten "stuck".

>upgrading your BIOS

You deserved it.

I updated my bios the other day so my motherboard could support a GTX 1070 and it went just fine, although I didn't flash in windows instead I used the built in BIOS utility and flash drive.

i tried removing the battery. probably tried some other stuff, too, it's been a while. idk.

i'm ok with windows at this point. next time i upgrade i'll try to install OSX again, since i do prefer it

I recently updated my BIOS because the new BIOS had a CPU microcode update for my 5820k which improved memory read/write by a good 15%.