Hey Sup Forums how do I tell if my powersupply is powerful enough for my computer build?

hey Sup Forums how do I tell if my powersupply is powerful enough for my computer build?
>pic unrelated
CPU

Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
$104.99 Buy
Motherboard

ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$99.99 Buy
Memory

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
$89.99 Buy
Storage

PNY CS2211 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$89.99 Buy

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$48.89 Buy
Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card
$198.99 Buy
Case

Rosewill R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
$39.99 Buy
Power Supply

SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$62.99 Buy
Optical Drive

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
$18.88 Buy
Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit
$99.99 Buy
Total: $854.69

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B012D7G74K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4UCFL9LU89NR
amazon.com/gp/product/B015VPX2EO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
amazon.com/gp/product/B019H3B32E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXNPH4KGUW6F8
amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUADE3O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TNWOOLRZ7LBT
amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HHY7LCXFL1H6
amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-620-BRONZE-SS-620GM2/dp/B003HE260I/?tag=logicaincrem-20
tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-7.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get a gold rated one that'll last you through a couple builds. One with a 7+ yr warranty.

Yeah that seasonic is a decent PSU

you shouldn't have any problems.

you need a Diamond PSU if you are going to win 7.
Switch to gentoo and buy an GNU PSU. you can upgrade it when you want

That should be fine, but honestly I always buy a 750w to keep my computer future proof. So if your worried just grab a 750w.

Alrighty thanks for the info. Will everything in this build fit together socket wise?

I'm on a phone. Link the URLs and I'll check for you.

Motherboard
amazon.com/gp/product/B012D7G74K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4UCFL9LU89NR

Processor
amazon.com/gp/product/B015VPX2EO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SSD
amazon.com/gp/product/B019H3B32E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXNPH4KGUW6F8

Graphics Card
amazon.com/gp/product/B01KUADE3O/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TNWOOLRZ7LBT

Ram
amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HHY7LCXFL1H6

PSU
amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-620-BRONZE-SS-620GM2/dp/B003HE260I/?tag=logicaincrem-20

Read a review to make sure it's a quality unit, then add up the TDP of each major component and make sure that's like less than 2/3 of your PSU's power output

Alright looking through it now. A heads up though. If your ever worried, open notepad, grab the motherboard, and start from the top. >form factor(case), check. Socket type, check. Ram speed and type check. Everything connects to the mobo so if everything checks out your good. But sec I'm on it, you check yourself in the mean time.

Will do that right now thanks for the help

Change your ram. Highest both mobo and processor support is ddr2133 . Other then that your good.

Sorry *ddr4 2133. Did you get the same results?

What would be a good alternative ram?

Looks like that one you chose is sold out for the 2133. Anything by corsair really.

Duel core CPU is bad meme user

I agree, but he never asked about that so I figured he was aware. He could get faster ram if he chose a better processor. It's not shit, but probably in his price range.

>hey Sup Forums how do I tell if my powersupply is powerful enough for my computer build?

Doing things roughly.

TDP of GPUs + TDP of CPU + 100w (should cover motherboard and odds and ends) / 12 = 12v Amperage needed from PSU

If overclocking significantly more wattage is needed. Overclocking speed by 10% = need TDP of part * 1.1^2. Overvolting by 10% = need TDP of part * 1.1^2. I never actually calculate this, I just ballpark it.

When looking at PSU, notice many PSUs have "rails". If you have a PSU with say two 20A rails and a 35A total capacity, if you have 3 parts that take up 11A a piece, while you're under the total amperage a PSU uses, you can't fit your parts onto the two rails nonetheless because one rail is going to be overloaded. Less rails = better.

Keep in mind that a PSU can handle the total load of all your parts and not have the connectivity to connect to your GPUs, especially if you are running an SLI/crossfire rig. There are PSUs out there that can handle two GPUs but lack 2 8pin/ 2 6pin connectors.

That's basically how I figure this out. People don't understand how to figure out amperage needed and even on Sup Forums will recommend PSUs that are massive overkill for no reason. More watts =/= more better, higher 80plus ratings = more better.

It should be noted your PC will NEVER have all your parts running at 100% load so you can actually go even lower than I said in terms of amperage/wattage. I just think this is a good ballpark.

I read a toms hardware article showing that big ATX motherboards and memory usually took up about 100w/8A, so that's usually what I give for the rest of the system. In theroy if you overvolt and overclock like 6 dimms of memory you can go higher than that, or if you use mATX you can go lower than that, it's just a rule of thumb.

I think it's always good to pretend everything will be at max wattage. Your right, it'll never happen, but I rather not risk a brown out or anything of the sort.

As for how I came up with the 100w number

If you have a shitton of 3.5" hard drives and a shitton of overvolted/overclocked memory it can actually significantly increase power draw, but for a typical system, about 100W for non-CPU non-GPU parts is about right. If you use an mATX board, an SSD, and two DIMMs, you might actually go below 100W.

I basically never worry about if I have enough total wattage/5v power/3.3v power. In theroy you might have enough foJust look at the 12a, this is the most important spec but for some reason total wattage is on the front of the box.

Do keep in mind 2.5" hard drives are powered by 5v.

Get a Gold mainboard, a 6GB GTX1060 and an MSI H110 ProD, pls go for 8GB of ram too...

10/10 gaymen build

As for how I came up with the 100w number

If you have a shitton of 3.5" hard drives and a shitton of overvolted/overclocked memory it can actually significantly increase power draw, but for a typical system, about 100W for non-CPU non-GPU parts is about right. If you use an mATX board, an SSD, and two DIMMs, you might actually go below 100W.

I basically never worry about if I have enough total wattage/5v power/3.3v power. In theroy you might have enough to power your 12a parts but not enough to power your entire system, but this is incredibly unlikely especially since I usually account for some headroom when calculating PSU needs. Just look at the 12v amperage, this is the most important spec but for some reason total wattage is on the front of the box.

Do keep in mind 2.5" hard drives are powered by 5v.

Actually I fucked this up, overclocking increases wattage consumed perportionately. Only overvolting increases wattage consumed to the square of the voltage increase.

Long story short, big overclocks and ESPECIALLY big overvolts mean you need a lot more PSU juice. Lets say you overclocked and overvolted by 100% something with a tdp of 100w

100w * 2 = 200w * 2^2 = 800w. That's obviously not shit that is ever possible with computer parts but demonstrates how dramatically overclocking/overvolting can increase power usage.

Example

Lets say I'm using a power sipping matx board (maybe ~20w), two dimms (6w) an SSD, a GTX 1080 (180w) and and a haswell CPU (84w).

That's 20 + 6 + 180 + 84 = 290w. Literally any PSU that actually has an 8 pin and 6 pin connector would be able to handle that setup. People MASSIVELY overestimate how much PSU juice they need. Literally a PSU with 25A of 12v power, 300w of it, would be able to fuel that when you think about how your computer will never be at 100% load. Even if you're using more power hungry components like a big motherboard and a HDD, that still only becomes like 360w/30A needed. People MASSIVELY overestimate how much PSU power they need, people that buy 750w PSUs because THEY GOOD VALUE fell for memes hard.

Legitimately these days if you're buying from good brands, them being able to actually handle the total power of your system is basically never a problem unless you're overclocking, having sufficient connectivity to the GPUs is typically the problem.

Thx reddit, take this upboat

build it on PCPartpicker and it'll tell you how much power it'll use