/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420s-120GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-Core-i5-2540M-2-6GHz-Win7-1600x900-91-/132017119779?hash=item1ebcd56223:g:cX0AAOSwB09YMUQX
hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html).
slickdeals.net/f/9437751-lenovo-thinkpad-13-ultrabook-i5-6200u-13-3-1080p-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-503-free-shipping
youtube.com/watch?v=dY4V3UUY95A
novabench.com/compare.php?id=5ac284cbf273ceb0f03847d42c4929531124764
cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/791/IntelR-CoreTM-i7-2640M-CPU---280GHz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for T430s >

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420s-120GB-SSD-4GB-RAM-Core-i5-2540M-2-6GHz-Win7-1600x900-91-/132017119779?hash=item1ebcd56223:g:cX0AAOSwB09YMUQX

Should I get this? It looks like a good deal but I'm not sure...

>1366x768

kek you niggers are such cucks.

>16:9
>cuck
pick two
4:3 masterrace reporting in

Looks good, it is an S so upgrades are going to be a pain, as are thermals.
A 120gb ssd might be limiting unless you either dont mind using alot of external storage or just dont use that much space

What are recommended upgrades for a x201?

Does it make sense to install the Intel Management Engine firmware update? From its version history (pic related) it seems like it's mostly more features added to the AMT backdoor, for instance
>Added VeriSign RSA_SHA256 and Cybertrust Root Certificate hashes
Do these hashes enable more entities to make use of the backdoor?

Had anyone encountered problems after an upgrade of the regular BIOS of the x201? One person mentioned that after the upgrade the system started displaying an error on each boot requiring a key press to continue booting.

Is the heat really a problem on these ones? Like to the point where you wouldn't want it on your lap for long?

It will get hot as fuck like any laptop but because ita more compact the vents and heatsink are slightly smaller, so temps are going to be high and you might slowroast your balls
This also limits what you can upgrade to. Any higher tdp processor is going to be dramatically hotter

Never had any problems with heat on mine, first thing I did was repaste though.

Good to know. How is the battery life?

Crappy, had a battery with still 2/3 of original charge and I got 1.5 - 2 hours with half screen brightness. Recently upgraded to t430s which is much better. You could of course add an ultrabay battery but I didn't bother.

Got a W500 and the fuggin thing broke its case, the metal hinge has sheared and split the surrounding plastic. So much for ThinkPad build quality....

First for Master Race.

RIP
My W530 has seen some heavy abuse in the past year and hasn't had any issues with build quality. It seems that the hinges are problematic for other people though (needing to be loosened or re-greased)

I have a T420, but I want Libreboot. Can I just swap mobos with a T400? Or is that asking for trouble, and I should just get a whole new machine?

New X260 shows up tomorrow. Should I even bother booting it for the first time into windows? Or should I just go directly into installing Linux?

Anybody has experience with used Thinkpads from companies?

There are a lot of them at eBay.

I'm running the latest Xubuntu on my x220 and I am having issues with waking up from suspend when I close my laptop lid. I will close it, then the moon icon will light up a few seconds later. I open it, enter my password, then it freezes up immediately. I have to force shutdown, I cannot do anything at all when it freezes.

Anyone else experience this with Ubuntu 16 on an x220? I can't find a solution anywhere and I'm starting to think its a thinkpad issue rather than a linux issue.

>New
Might as well boot into Windows, you've already missed the point.

As long as there is no BIOS password set, you should be fine.

u wot m8

linux works just fine on x260

Is it worth to buy T530 for around 131 USD?
I see one on polish auction site, and well it is quite rekt, but really the only thing that has to be replaced is the case, will post photos of in the next posts.
It is 4 GB model, but I would probably buy it for replacing my X220.

No I mean you buy a ThinkPad because used they're cheap but dependable machines for the poor as fuck.

ctrl+f t440

did i fuck up buying this thing?

People don't like the *40 generation because it got a bit too Mac by removing the mouse buttons and instead making them part of the touchpad which makes using the Trackpoint harder.

>windows 10
>master race
:^) well memed friend

>tfw T440P
they get better if you change the trackpad and screen.
plebbit has a thread with useful info but as far as the bios whitelist you are done goofed unless you can contact the modder at bios-mods.com and trust me I've tried. Currenlty looking for alternatives to do it my self but im lost.

also
this

...I bought a ThinkPad because I needed a laptop that had good battery life, decent specs for work, and ran Linux without any issues. I don't really care about price, cause I'm not poor.

>I don't really care about price, cause I'm not poor.
>cause I'm not poor.
>Lurking Sup Forums
You think this is a motherfucking game?
Nah, fair enough tbqh.

What makes Thinkpads different from other laptops?

just got my x220 today. does anyone know where i can get a legit windows 7 pro iso without pajeet trying to fondle my internals?

Read the OP

Yeah...just saw. Feel like an idiot now

lurk, lurk, lurk

this is the only way user

Can you get an injury from using a trackpoint too often? My touchpad is killing me.

Start to stretch your wrists and make push ups

IMO the track point just strains different areas. It's still better than a touchpad though.

best 8gb ssd Laptop under $200 go go go

I'd like to upgrade the 2x4 gigs of ram to 2x8 in my t420.
Any recommendations?
Also, if 1600 mhz is cheaper than 1333 MHz, should I just go for them?

I think there's a chromebook with 8GB storage for that much.

x220 still with a 2011 bios. should i update it?

you guys will probably say no.

i looked at the same one. but i did go through a shit ton of pages.

watch when you post ebay links here because i did that and someone bought it lmao.

all ram is the same shit just get the cheapest one

and custom bios unlocks up to 1866mhz so yeah get whatever

No tips at all as to how to upgrade a x201? Nobody uses them anymore?

How about the ME firmware upgrade, anyone done it at all? Generally what steps do you take to try and neutralize ME/AMT as much as possible?

I have also been asking about firmware updates, but no replies so far. It seems more and more difficult to find any non-trivial info in these threads, it all seems like mostly just sperging out over whether someone overpaid/underpaid a t420 or x220 by some $5 .

Not much anymore tbqh. In a few years these threads won't exist anymore, or will pop up only every now and then just like the CRT threads do.

Why is t420 recommended? Seems to me to be the worst deal in the --20 gen

Anyone have a Thinkpad 13? It's looking really attractive to me right now with the prices.

I had an i5 x220 that's broken, and I wanted to upgrade.

If what you're doing can be done on something other than w10 I'm sorry, but you're not important

My x201T's speakers will randomly cut out. I'm running Mint, but I think it did it on Windows, also. What do?

how so

I imagine that you probably have a more limited supply over there, so if you are ok with a wrecked case, it is probably alright. Dunno about T530 resolutions, though.

What you're trying to say? That all the things that are possibly important can only be done on Windows 10? If so, you're a moron.

There's a few T420s very close to that on eBay with those specs.

That'sexactly my sentiment.
All the business grade software that matters is windows exclusive.

Am I the only Thinkpad fan that doesn't give a fuck about the trackpoint?

I found at T430 with "BIOS password set - only read access available."

How bad is this?

Have faith, we will find vindication in January, brother

I just picked up a t420 and it idles around 60C. Is this normal? Just looking around google didn't help.

I use an external without exception tbqh

I've never really tried using it

My W520 temps seem to be way to high, the MOBO gets to around 65c and the CPU to 60c. Does anyone have any advice for lowering the temps? I know that I can take out the cpu, clean the fan, and reapply some themal paste, but will the MOBO also decrease in temperature if I do this?

you can't change anything in the bios

no it's not, replace thermal paste and clean the fan

Never update a BIOS unless there's a reason to. Do you need a feature from the later bios? If not don't update.

Faith in what?

Anything past T60(p)/X60 is inherently botnetted by ME/AMT (with only select models suitable for uncucking either by flashing coreboot/libreboot, or by wild sheenanigans such as hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html).

Anything past X220/T420/T520 has a bullshit chiclet "keyboard" with a fucked-up layout and a hugeass touchpad, then also missing physical trackpoint keys. Then came the Superfish debacle which took any possibly remaining faith in Chinknovo coming to their senses away.

Not to mention, these threads have become a bullshit discussion where noting really insightful or relevant is discussed anymore beyond what you can google yourself in a minute or two.

The Thinkpad is no more. Even Scott Mueller who has always been endorsing Thinkpads doesn't recommend them anymore. Stock up on whatever you consider the last good or bearable model, because nothing better is expected to ever surface again under this brand.

Anyone here with an i7 2640m (the dual core one) kind enough to post a capture of the CPU-Z benchmark scores at max performance?

Thanks.

this is shit right

slickdeals.net/f/9437751-lenovo-thinkpad-13-ultrabook-i5-6200u-13-3-1080p-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-503-free-shipping

youtube.com/watch?v=dY4V3UUY95A

just look for "untouched iso". You can verify the hash or something if you're that paranoid.

No, I don't use it because I personally can't stand it over a trackpad. People rave about it being "more precise" when it isn't whatsoever. If I'm wrong, someone please explain to me how it is.

you have to be young to understand

You think Trump will force IBM to get their PC business back and make Thinkpads great again?

Just got a T420s and it won't boot. When I plug it in, the green power button lights up but nothing happens. I've tried all the bs that people tell you to try with the holding down of the power button and removal of ram and battery. Any tips?

No, it certainly isn't. You have to clean the cooling system, for best results dismount the heatsink and reapply thermal compound.

Yeah I just did that gonna let it settle in. But not looking too good. Its still in the mid to low 60's gonna try to get better paste and see what happens.

What do you guys think of the high end thinkpads, perticularly the p50? Worth the money? Need a machine for heavy use.

idk yo

ask a seller

Dumb question:

On a T420, I can install a mSATA hard drive *in addition to* the WiFi card, right?

And are there any better WiFi cards I can install? This one is pretty antiquated. I'm sure USB would be better, but internal is the lowest profile of all...

Since when eveyone started calling touchpad as trackpad?

without bios mod you can install up to Intel Ultimate-N 6300.
With bios mod you can install intel 7260ac card.
mSATA port is only for WWAN and mSATA.

I think these subhumans mean trackpoint instead of trackpad

I dont have windows so i cant post a cpu-z benchmark, but here is a novabench one.

novabench.com/compare.php?id=5ac284cbf273ceb0f03847d42c4929531124764

Yes, there is an mSATA slot along with the Wifi slot.

No, these subhumans clearly know the difference, i think it's an Apple meme name for their touchpad to mimick IBM's naming strategy like how they did with Think """Different""".

No, we are referring to it like touchpad. The terms mean the same thing.

>2k 16
>still waiting for x61 libreboot

>still being too poor to get a proper thinkpad
time to get a job, stupid frog poster

I don't want to pay someone to spy on me, intelligent textposter.

Better than nothing i guess, thanks.

I'm trying to measure how the single core performance of the 2640m is and CPU-Z scores are what I'm used to.

I fell into the quad core CPU meme and while heat isn't an issue at all, now i realized that most of the shit i do is more single core focused.

Have you tried this site?

cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/791/IntelR-CoreTM-i7-2640M-CPU---280GHz

So there's a t420 for $130 and a x220 for $100 on my local craigslist right now. Both i5, 300GB HDD, the first with 6GB RAM and the second with 8, and the x220 is stated to be in 'good' condition with some white spots on the screen while the T420 is 'excellent'.

What do you guys think? When I call them, what should I be asking?

I like the idea of a smaller, portable laptop, so I'm leaning to the x220 though I'm wondering if it'd be hard to replace the screen. What advantages/disadvantages are there between it and the T420 besides size and weight? Can they both be upgraded similarly? I heard the x220 can only have one hard drive compared to two on the T420.

I have P50 and I don't like it very much. It's mainly because it's just disappointing compared to older Thinkpads. Maybe it's fine for you.

It's not hard to replace the screen. You can get the lenovo IPS for like $60 and all it takes is popping off the screen bezel and unscrewing it

Quick question guys:
T420 vs T520
Both with same specs
Which is better? Is screensize the only difference? I've read that T420 has nvidia optimus gpu so it can support additional screens and T520 supports quad core cpu.
So T520 doesnt support multidisplay and T420 cant have quad core cpu or what?

I installed my X62 motherboard today and it's currently working (for now). Ask me things if you're interested

Sorry I didn't answer your second question. Both the x220 and T420 have mSATA and a SATA port, so yes you can put an mSATA drive and an HDD/SSD in the standard slot.

Thank you. I hear the mSATA is a no-go if there's a wireless card in place. Is that true?