What is a good silent pc case?

What is a good silent pc case?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2V06LLTNxc4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fractal Design Define

Silent cases are a meme because what you actually need to make a silent PC is as little airflow restrictions as possible.

wrong

anything with an ssd, a passive cpu cooler and a passive PSU installed

but it's true. Minimizing fan rotation speeds and turbulence is the one true way of making a silent PC.
You do that by using big ass 180mm fans and getting as much airflow as possible over your components, particularly your graphics card, if you have a hot one.

Any case with the right fans. Low tdp cpu and gpu.

fractal design define s
pic related
i prefer the itx version but the big version certainly has better airflow

It's a combination of having a small amount of fans and low speeds and the sound proofing material inside these sound proofing cases.

They actually do reduce and muffle the sound that your fans make.

No, he's right. That's what most workstations are doing these days, my HP's case is practically swiss cheese.

S

There isn't fractal define mini S? :(

i mean there's the define nano s

No PC case.

Is there something like Fractal that actually has good build quality and no shitty plastics?

I just got the Fractal Define C. If you're looking for quiet, you really can't go wrong with whatever in their product range fits your needs most. Mine doesn't have 5.25" bays any only enough room for two hard drives, but it doesn't take up a lot of desk real estate and fits full ATX hardware and pretty much any radiator you want if you don't mind it being front mounted. If you want smaller than that, they have a mini version too.

BeQuiet cases + their fans = quiet as fuck

Lian Li

youtube.com/watch?v=2V06LLTNxc4

cooler master n200

I dont like that its taller than it is long.

I don't even have a silent case and yet I never hear a peep from my PC. Your case doesn't make as much of a difference as you think it does, it's your hardware.

Fractal cases are okay, but their build quality isn't top notch, and their fan controllers have a tendency of melting down. At least they send you free replacements.

I'm more partial to Antec cases. They use proper, very thick silicone grommets on the HDDs. Fractal cases use shitty thing ones that barely absorbs any vibration.

You can make a silent PC that is actively cooled, as long as you use fan controllers (manual or automatic) to make the fans run at slow speeds and only spin up on high load. I have 6x 12cm fans in my machine, and they make less noise than the HDDs.

Keep in mind that the HDDs make a ton of noise, and there's no way to block that. You can block the vibration they cause, but not the noise. I started automatically turning off my idle drives so they make less noise when idling.

Of course you can just go a SSD only setup, but that's more expensive and you have a fraction of the space.

Yeah, that put me off a little at first too. I didn't realize the weird dimensions until I opened up the box, but I'm getting used to it.

>passive
a big slow fan will sound pretty much the same, while cooling twice as good

don't get an nzxt that's for sure

Fix #1: no mechanical hard drive
Fix #2: big-ass CPU cooler
Fix #3: grow out of gaming and throw out the dedicated GPU

unrelated but, would this be considered a quiet case?
> NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
are they known to be loud? any issues?

>Fix #3: grow out of gaming and throw out the dedicated GPU
Almost all video cards these days are semi-passive which means their fans will not spin as long as you don't play games.

"Airflow" doesn't change how ultra annoying mechanical HDDs are, for instance.

Phanteks p400s. Not sure if windowed version detracts from sound dampening.

Phantek p400s

>Not using the No-Fan CR100a as your CPU cooler

And you call yourselves enthusiasts?

If you have good fans turbulence is the primary contributing factor to noise. Do not get any case that has a "vented" style air filter insert. Makes my typhoons 2-3 times as loud. Basements also heavily contribute to noise because they act like echo chambers. Might be different if it has vents in the top which mine lacks. Have an air 540 that should be arriving today to abate this issue. Sound dampening materials help a lot, but if the case is inherently designed in a way that promotes noise in the first place, it only goes so far.

I love these things, but I don't think they have a model that would cool an e5-1650v2 @ 4400mhz.

You can keep a GPU whisper quiet if you have a case with good airflow to the GPU. No Fractal meme cases.Think Silverstone FT02 or FT05.

Fix #4 get a GPU with less than 200W TDP.
Fix #5 undervolt
Fix #6 underclock
Fix #7 custom fan curve to keep GPU as hot as possible without throttling
if all else fails get a custom GPU cooler

With a custom GPU cooler you can get 300W cards whisper silent.

Why aren't these popular, eh? You might say that one is expensive but the CR-80eh is affordable and cool up to 80w (Enough for any i series CPU non-overclocked).

Get any decent case and replace fans and PSU with silent equivalents, Noctua and Seasonic come to mind, that and use only SSDs if you hate noise that much.

from what I can tell there are two issues

1. people don't trust them. I blame the lack of thermodynamic studies in high school, also some can have minor stress issues if you live in a very hot climate without air conditioning, a rare conditional but not impossible.

2. they are big, and don't easly fit cases without proper planning. i.g. fool tries shoving one in a mini tower and get mad it blocks the RAM and case panel.

has anyone tried those no fan coolers + a fan? it should give very nice temps