So Sup Forums. I understand arch is a rolling distro but do i HAVE to update every other day like people say i do...

So Sup Forums. I understand arch is a rolling distro but do i HAVE to update every other day like people say i do? I just want to set up a web browser, music player, and some text editor to teach my self programming.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/jeHmLW8m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>do i HAVE to
no
>do i WANT to
yes, not like it takes a long time

It's not Windows 10. You're free to update as (in)frequently as you want.

you dont HAVE to but then why are you using arch if you don't care for bleeding edge? Just stick with Ubuntu or Debian

Well i wanted to make a really light weight setup. I was debating on going ubuntu or debian minimal but then i heard about the aur and it sounded really nice.

If i don't update for a while but then decide i want to, do you think it will break anything? Sorry. i'm a baby when it comes to linux

>do you think it will break anything?
nope

If they have a major change that you need to manually edit they usuallt will tell you or you will se some type of note while updating

If this bothers you go with Debian.

It is funny because I update every time I have cable connection. Usually it is two times a day.

a) arch is meme distro
b) void is better
c) don't use either if you are a linux noob

If you don't know the answer to this question, you shouldn't be using arch. If you really want to use the AUR just install antergos. It's a bit bloated, but nothing that uninstalling a few things can't do.

I would recommend something like Xubuntu as a lightweight beginner distro.

I update about 1-2 times a week.

>pacman -Syyy
>pacman -Su
>starts updating
>huuuuuuuuuge error log
wew lad
Hope i'm not fucked next time i reboot

sudo pacman -Syyu && yaourt -Syyua --noconfirm

pastebin.com/jeHmLW8m
reee

Arch is the kind of distro that works differently for everyone.
Some people will say that the whole "arch breaks all the time" thing is a meme, but in my personal experience, it DID break all the time, even Manjaro. I would spend hours every day googling errors and reading the arch wiki until I just decided to install something else.
Try it out and see how it works for you, I guess.

>and some text editor to teach my self programming.
go with Ubuntu if you don't compile the Linux kernel for fun

Yes you do. Besides, if you do it every night it literally takes 10 seconds, why the fuck wouldn't you want to update?

I update as infrequently as once every 3 or 4 weeks, just read the Arch news beforehand to avoid potential breakage.

>even Manjaro

As someone's whose arch install literally never breaks, Manjaro is a fucking piece of shit that manages to patch extra bugs INTO their packages and breaks all the time. Stay away from that meme OS and never imply that it is actually arch again.

been using it for a year now, no breaks. then again im not autistic

Depend, did had a single problem for a whole year, then things went bad (only pacman can't update shit right now) but I could still totally use it, just not upgrade it (could even install stuff).

but after crashing my root with a nbew install everything is fine now.

edit your fucking mirror file, the mirror you are using is ded

Remember not to upgrade Python, it will break your system.

How can i know if i upgrade is safe ?

check the website. They tell you if you need to manually intervene.

>How can i know if i upgrade is safe ?

I made you an easy to follow flowchart:

[Is my upgrade safe?]
|
|
\/
[Are you using Arch linux?]---->[No]---->[Your upgrade is safe]
|
|
\/
[Yes]
|
|
\/
Your upgrade isn't safe.

The main thing that's going to happen is a bunch of 404s when you try to install software because they delete old packages from the repository whenever a new version comes out, because apparently Archfags are stuck in the 90s when disk space was actually expensive.

>do i HAVE to update every other day
no

you can -Syuu once a year and it will work

You should install Solus instead.

What about CentOS and its yum?

>centOS
>using an OS that's worth a cent