Best intro audiophile headphones

Hi Sup Forums I got a job and have tons of money now, and I want to buy some headphones for listening to music, playing video games, and watching movies with. I've only used shitty headphones and speakers in the past so I'm no audiophile yet and thus I don't want to spend more than $200 or so on my first set. What's my best portions considering that? Mostly I want something that is good price:performance. My apartment is really quiet so I don't need to block out sound from my environment but I don't really need to hear shit around me either, so I have no particular preference between open/close headphones. I suppose open is better for comfort? I have no ac and mi ears get sweaty in the summer. Anyway there was this purple audio technica headphone, open ear about $140, that Sup Forums always recommended ppl the last time I used to browse this board ages ago. Is that thing still the best?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/STAX-SR-009-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-Japan/dp/B004W1S0BY/ref=sr_1_3/151-3904389-9316838?ie=UTF8&qid=1480395681&sr=8-3&keywords=stax headphones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>audiophile as a positive term

>not being proud of your autistim
>2016

HD598, the best for 150€

if you don't have a $100 dac there's literally no reason to buy anything other than cheap shitty headphones

Cool.
That can't be true. Are you telling me it is impossible to get good audio out of a laptop, for example?

>autistim
ignore the dac faggot your shit laptop can output sound that's more than good enough, only problem might be volume depending on the headphones you use. i recommend the sennheiser HD realm, don't know what's the up to date model nowadays but i have a pair of old HD200s that have served and continue to serve

Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990, sennheiser 598, massdrop K7XX or HE-350

/thread

The ATHM50s are complete garbage don't buy them
I know you're looking you ignorant dipshit

>purple audio technica headphone, open ear about $140

The AD700? It's discontinued now, and it was never really the best.

If you wish to spend $3,500.00 the STAX cannot be beat.

amazon.com/STAX-SR-009-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-Japan/dp/B004W1S0BY/ref=sr_1_3/151-3904389-9316838?ie=UTF8&qid=1480395681&sr=8-3&keywords=stax headphones

However if you wish to have high quality at a reasonable price try the MDR-7506 headphones for about $140.00 USD.

High end monitors with electrostatic tweeters beat electrostatic headphones every time. Much cheaper too

I saw the massdrop k7xx, although it's never before released right? So it could just be a shittier version of their $200 headphone that looks the same.

It seems the concensus is that hd598

>It seems the concensus is that hd598
nah.

I would recommend hd 598

Also "audiophiles" are often deluded snobs and excellent examples of the placebo effect at work

HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT 880.

I'm happy with my dt770 80 ohms. First pair of >$50 headphones I've bought. A removable cable would have been nice but other than that they're great

HD 598 and HD 558, both nearly identical and both really nice headphones for that price range. Differences are in color and headband material. HD 598 uses pleather and HD 558 has velour headband padding. The driver baffle(internal construction) is also slightly different but they use the same driver. Not that you should care about this, just listing differences. Both are equally sensitive so you don't need a powerful amplifier meaning your laptop, phone or whatever devices you might have can drive them fine.

It's a neutral term to describe someone who is enthusiastic about audio reproduction.

Mostly the concensus.

Ok thanks everyone!!

>DT770
/thread

without an amp? no.