/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Just ordered my parts edition
Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/VChytJ
whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1
overclock.net/t/929553/win-7-ssds-setup-and-secrets
overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing
pcpartpicker.com/list/psn7Gf
pcpartpicker.com/list/WdvKKZ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/m3p8bj
pcpartpicker.com/list/Dnf92R
pcpartpicker.com/list/3DPnyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/mdCzhq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What does Sup Forums think of Gigabyte? Are they comparable to MSI?

pcpartpicker.com/list/VChytJ

Not sure about this case, worried it will run really hot and loud.

Need something decently portable. Also considering the Thermaltake box and NZXT manta.

If I want to Overclock an RX 480 or a GTX 1060, do I need to upgrade my 500W PSU?

Current PSU is a Thermaltake-500nl1nh-1.

Which one of these is most worth it, and not a complete waste of money.

whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1

reviews for those rams are full of DOA.

I have Silverstone Precision Series 11 Black - Quiet (PS11B-Q) case for my build, now I'm regretting getting the "Quiet" version with closed off padded panels for the front sides and top. There exists a more air-flowing version PS11B-W, and I'm wondering if there's anywhere I could just get the panels for it? I haven't tried asking Silverstone personally.

anyone got a useful guide for what do/not to do with your new ssd?

2. Just put your OS on and your most played games, that's pretty much it.

3. I seriouly doubt you'll hit the lifespan of your SSD. It's something stupid like 1 million hours mean time to failure or something. Just make sure you disable automatic defragging on your drive, it'll cause performance issues.
overclock.net/t/929553/win-7-ssds-setup-and-secrets
overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

and what is that ahci mode? will it disable hdd running or ide or whats the deal with it

I mean you could just google it, I googled those links for you to read.
AHCI enables en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

You shouldn't buy cheap trash power supplies in the first place. Nice fake wattage you got there.

pcpartpicker.com/list/psn7Gf

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($64.63)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.98)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($39.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($204.98)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99)

Total: $644.44

good 1080p build?

I didn't. I bought this PC back in 2012 and I think the PSU came with the case (same brand). It's 2016 now, and I haven't had any problems so far, I was just wondering if I should replace it if I were to upgrade my 7850 Radeon Card to an RX480 or a 1060.

Is The Witcher 3 a really CPU intensive game? I'm looking to run a RX480 with an i5-3450 hoping for 60fps at Full HD but someone said I should really upgrade my CPU.

Just got a new build with a EVGA 1080 FTW.

Now I read that EVGA cards overheat and die.
Is this true? Should I RMA mine?

Better put in those thermal pads while you can.

take the shroud off and check if it has pads on the VRMs. if it doesn't, contact EVGA and they'll ship em to you, or you can RMA it. It might be good cause new stock is ok.

>It might be good cause new stock is ok.
I bought mine 3 days ago, didn't even have time to assemble.

Was there even a recall for thremal pads? EVGA says everything is fine.
I might just send it back without unpacking and get an MSI. Shame, because I got it really cheap at black friday, now I will have to pay $60 more.

Videocards, not at all.

Other stuff, maybe.

Winfag!
Back to Sup Forums with you.

Does Overclocking make much of a difference when a monitor is only 60Hz? Should I not bother purchasing a Gaming X or a Strix unless I upgrade my monitor?

How much of a difference would buying a monitor with a better refresh rate make?

You done well.
Cept for that videocard.
swap it out for the ASUS or MSI.

Gigabytes OC software is shit from what I've read.

Sapphire?

I see the 1060 and the RX 480 being compared a lot here.

In base/core clock speed, I noticed the 1060 operates at 1708MHz in silent mode compared to the RX 480's 1316 MHz in overclock mode.

Forgive me for sounding like a colossal newfag, but isn't this a pretty significant difference for two similarly priced cards?

Oooh, yeah, that's a good deal there if you can afford.

Difference in shader units.

You can have high clock speeds, and low amount of shader units, or low clock speeds and a shitton of shader units.

CUDA cores for Nvidia, Shader something for AMD.

That's the difference.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WdvKKZ

Thinking of getting a Christmas build for myself. Looking to build a gaming PC, complete with peripherals and an adapter, on a budget of about $800.

Can I go any further than this?

So I assume higher clock speeds will usually provide superior FPS, while shader units provide better detail? Is there anything I should be looking for in the product descriptions? Because ctrl-F yields no results for "shader" in either page. I can get the RX 480 for $20 cheaper, but still unsure whether or not I should pull the trigger.

>Wifi adapter
Just run a cable fag

Is updating the motherboard's bios as dangerous as gigabyte's site says it is? I might have to update mine to use a new video card, but it's giving a lot of warnings.

>Is updating the motherboard's bios as dangerous as gigabyte's site says it is?
It used to be tricky, but modern BIOSes have a pretty straight forward way of updating.

In most cases, it's just formatting a USB as FAT, downloading some image from the vendor's website.

Reboot and go into BIOS setup, find the "update BIOS" option and select the image from the USB stick.

There's a lot of posts about EVGA cards bursting into flames but are their PSUs still trustworthy?

Nonono, I mean.

Total FPS is equivalent to the number of shaders being processed at the rate of the clock speed.

It's like STR VS DEX in DPS, Do you go with the spear or the fighter, they both will kill the enemy in the same amount of time at different rates.

And yeah, they usually don't include shadercount for RX 480.

Is it worth paying an extra $70 for an extra 4gb of vram in an RX 480?

How do I into cable management

Holy fuck cable ties and around the back user.

if you listen closely, you can hear strega nona losing her shit right about now.

better?

A little bit, but it's still got a long way to go.

now what?

I can barely even plug stuff in as is how can you even do better

Cable ties user. They go a long way. Also I'd probably untangle everything and do it slowly.

the case can't handle it at the back there isn't enough room

it's not a modular psu so the cables have to go somewhere

Bought an rx 480 8gb yesterday and the fx 8350. Don't have any idea for a compatable motherboard or case. Already have an idea for ram, power supply, hdd and ssd. Also looking into a monitor for about $150 or less.

I tried it out earlier for lols on a Core 2 Quad
, 4gb ram , r9 290 @1080. It ran pretty well on ultra during the tutorial and a bit into the game, didn't go further, pretty smooth, few slow downs as to be expected. From this I don't think it's too cpu reliant but hey I'm just this out there.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/m3p8bj

how is my list looking Sup Forums?

how do I fix this shit so the back of the case actually slides on

Just fucking force dat shit

For a MOBO go with Gigabyte. They tend to be most reliable in my experience.

Just like with women you need to force it in. It may look like it won't fit but a good thrust and squeeze can do wonders.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Dnf92R
This is probably the best you can get for $800 (or $840 bucks) if you need peripherals, want to buy Win 10 (why not simply pirate?) or don't want to stick with the shitty Intel stock cooler.
I recommend you to pirate OS, get a used 24" monitor and maybe get chink keyboard + mouse from /csg/, that stuff is actually decent or at least better than office shit from Logitech or any other brand.

That's the best it will go. The top one is on properly though

Jesus fucking Christ, get out you retard. This is not your personal tech support and there's more than enough tutorials on YouTube, fucking retard.

>muh safespace

embarrassing desu

It's absolute dogshit.

It's not about safe space, it's about not spoon feeding some absolutely tech illiterate retard who should have bought a pre-built system.
That """"""cable management"""""" is embarrasing.

what about the rest of the people here that according to your logic are too stupid to even pick their own PC parts

you're just a tosspot looking for something to complain about

>the shock and horror of someone asking for help building a PC in the PC building thread

fuck off idiot

Current christmas build so far: pcpartpicker.com/list/3DPnyf

I just need a case. I'm not sure if I want to go for a thermaltake core v1 or fractal design nano s. Purpose of the build is because I like mini-itx, and the obvious reasons like saving space etc etc.

I'm upgrading from a fx-8350 build in a fractal design core 1000 now.

Just got my first SSD. Should I do a clean install of Windows or try to migrate my current installation?

Don't get a WD Blue unless you want to bottleneck the fuck out of your system and have everything load slowly.

The WD Blacks are fine, btw, just not the blues.

The WD Blue is a leftover drive I just export videos too. All my games etc are on an external.

Aight cool I just didn't want you to make the same mistake I did.

I want this idiot out of our board. Reported.

>Forgive me for sounding like a colossal newfag, but isn't this a pretty significant difference for two similarly priced cards?

They're two cards with entirely different architectures as well as different basically everything else. Trying to compare them by looking at clockspeeds is pointless and misleading.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mdCzhq
Is a 550 watt PSU enough for this build I want to overclock?

Jiff never gif

Finally ended up ordering the CPU for my new build.
I chose the 5820k over the 6800k, since there was about 80€ price difference between them.
From what I gather, the 6800k doesn't OC as well, runs hotter at higher clocks and doesn't really offer anything that would justify any sort of extra price there, even if it has marginally better IPC.
I assume I didn't fuck up now that I chose to go with the older option here.

>retards should be spoon-fed
Don't breed. Your children will be defective retards.

>i demand
>reported
TOPKEK. This is not leddit you autistic pony fag.

Yes 550W is enough and get a better mobo.

Just got myself a new RX 480 Sapphire Nitro

I'm happy

What this guy said something that isn't from MSI preferably

MSI (Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, Chinese: 微星科技股份有限公司) is a Taiwanese multinational information technology corporation headquartered in New Taipei City, Taiwan.

Oh I get it now MSI is cheap Chinese shit

So take it to that general please keep it out of this one

>gets BTFO
>can't even enable damage control mode properly

just fuck off already

Is the H60 good? I got it bretty cheap.

pls respond

So is Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, XFX and so on.

>Frogposter OP
SAVE US BASED DRAKEPOSTER

No those have Foxconn parts yes but they are not all fully Chinese shit msi is literally a Chinese company

>lol he got so btfo xdddddd
Absolute autism. Get out.

Do you think that the 7700k will be worth it? I'll probably upgrade when it comes around and I'm wondering if I should then get a 6700k instead.

All mobo manufacturers are Taiwanese at this point. Not sure what you're talking about DESU.

Kaby Lake is just Skylake with higher clocks. Given how high 6700k is clocked already, I can't imagine 7700k being that much better, although it might get higher when you OC.

And yet zen is still worse the kaby lake

Are temperature limits still going to be bad though? 6700k seems to have a pretty low limit for higher temps compared to Haswell chips for instance.

Raid 0 two of these?
Yes?
No?
My OS is already installed on a 128 ssd and my personal files are on a 750 hdd. the raid 0 setup would basically be my Steam drive.

I just wanna say thanks to these threads. They helped me build my first pc like a month ago and with some hand me down parts from my friend it was completed. Now that its built i want to upgrade the hand me down 560 ti to a 1080. What non blower style gtx 1080 do you guys recommend? I thought the Gigabyte one waa my best choice, but i heard evga has started fixing their cards.

I'm struggling between picking a CPU cooler. Whether to use air or water.

My picks for Water are:
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme or the Corsair Hydro Series H105 Extreme
NZXT Kraken RL-KRX41-01 X41 140mm
Fractal Design Kelvin T12

Or Air:
Noctua NH-U14S U-Series
Phanteks PH-TC12DX White
Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Bls help.

Should probably mention I'm getting an i7 6700K

bought this pre-built back in 2009-10 when I was still a dumb ass kid and I'm looking to upgrade it now. Is it worth trying to upgrade one part at a time, or should i scrap it and use what I can to build a new one?

Forgot to add, I would like to games in 1080p and play most games now, and still be good for the future.

Get the cooler Master 212x it's the only one that has heat pipes directly touching the CPU

Time to rebuild

Evga makes the best cards and has the best customer support, this last fuckup was rare. Still id wait for the ti or volta if you want to be set for awhile

What's better to get?

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz
or
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz

The price is almost the same except for three burgerpoints.

Obviously it makes sense to go for the higher clock, but I'm not sure what the catch is.

bump

he means the NH-U14S, which outclasses the 212x, if you're willing to pay a bit more.

Is there anything worth using in a new build or is it all pretty outdated

Just get a new graphics card and swap out the 430 for something like a small form factor 1060 3 GB. Hard to know what you can fit without knowing your case/power supply but a 1060 could breathe new life into that system for some 1080p gaming for the next year or two.

That CPU is still totally adequate for playing the majority of modern games.

Don't listen to that retard.

>1060
I'd shoot a little bit lower, RX 470 or 1050ti even, if it's for the sake just 1 or 2 years.

I'm completely clueless when it comes to picking up used server components. I don't yet have an operating budget, but what can I start with that's decently modular and where should I look?