Why do so many people hate Python 3?

Why do so many people hate Python 3?

Because of distros like arch linux fucking up and rolling out python 3 by replacing the actual ‘python’ binary (instead of adding a new ‘python3’ binary), thus breaking every script in existence

but you're supposed to use "#!/usr/bin/env python"

REEEEEEEE

blame the distro, not the language
that said, they should have named it something else than python, no wonder people are confused

I hate both pythons

>Archfags will defend this like they defend every other stupid decision arch linux makes.

>private static void swap(char[] a, int i, int j)
a, b = b, a

wew

But python 3 is the newest version so why not replace it?

Braces aside, why is it using char[] instead of int[]?

A lot of old scripts have
#!/usr/bin/env python
or equivalent, which used to always refer to Python 2, but now suddenly refers to Python 3.

Yes, and on arch linux that would give you python3 not python2

Because it's not backwards compatible, breaks scripts, and goes against the official standard (which specifies that ‘python’ must be some version of python 2.x, and may never be python 3)

not that arch users would care about standards

>Arch Linux

Arch user here. Backwards compatibility faggotery will end the human race. Fuck you guys.

Because the improvements were not worth the incompability.

Also, like describes, bistros failing to deliver, which is a major theme when it comes to new versions of anything.

>python

>i insist on redoing work that people have done over and over again to complete simple tasks
xd

>he thinks the world is “python” vs “zero-abstraction low level boogeyman language”

>he thinks there should be any languages in between

We don't hate python3, but we want python4.
Damn, even php is faster now!

>he thinks it only is possible to have languages in between this

all you need is verilog and Python

Obvious troll

Don't bother arguing with people on Sup Forums about it, anybody who uses linux on their personal computer is too autistic to talk sense into. They'd rather satisfy their autism by forking every program they get their hands on instead of doing anything useful like contributing to an existing project.

By "suddenly" you mean nearly 5 years?

>he's missing the point of the post
blub paradox to the max. Don't worry kid, some day you'll understand

#!/usr/bin/env python2
or
#!/usr/bin/env python3

Will work on every distro, including Arch Linux.

I'm aware of that, but making python point to python3 means it will break older scripts that don't use
#!/usr/bin/env python2

not a single real person uses Arch

desu senpai I hate python 3 as much as I hate python 2. Garbage tier language.

Then don't fucking run a script that you cannot be a fucking programmer for.

I mean dumb cunts would know the referring schemes. You replace one line and Python programmers would be use to changing may lines when a bug happens.

If this is too hard then don't be a programmer or run a single script.

Not really. I made a cloud based pooling system from the based of a binary tree to near kernel socket control.

I also used C and Python at the same level.

>Binary tree kek
I am using it to see how python/C handles complex arguments

>I am using it to see how python/C handles complex arguments
with the lack of going back or jumping over 3 trees.

false statement and not even funny

so why did you post it?

> because not a single real person uses Arch

>I mean dumb cunts would know the referring schemes.
The official specification is that ‘python’ refers to python v2.x and ‘python3’ refers to python v3.x.

On distros adhering to this spec, ‘python’ on the command line will get you python2 and ‘python3’ on the command line will get you python3; and all scripts will work as expected.

On arch, they flipped this around - so ‘python’ is python v3.x and ‘python2’ is python v2.x.

>it's the distro's fault people aren't maintaining their code
what a bunch of whiny babies

People hate change
People hate change that breaks old stuff.

python2 cunt.py

Problem solved.

name one real person using Arch

protip: you don't count, you worthless NEET fatass

>If these conventions are adhered to, it will become the case that the python command is only executed in an interactive manner as a user convenience, or to run scripts that are source compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3.
The same PEP you're complaining that Arch violated also recommends that no one call the generic "python" anymore, but specify the version in the call.

Yeah but packages and system scripts rely on python call. It would take forever to change them to python2

>anymore
good thing that magically changes all the hundreds of thousands of scripts written in the past

That's the user's problems.

Actually I switched to Arch [spoiler]from Gentoo[/spoiler] when I got a job.

this is what arch maintainers actually believe

Why are you so constrained by the Arch maintainers' opinions?

This is FOSS. Change it yourself. If you see a problem, fix it.

I'm not, I use Gentoo

I just find it hilarious that arch maintainers really are this delusional. It's almost as bad as mint maintainers. Neither have any idea how to run a distro

BWAAAH CHANGE

/thread

python 2 holdouts BTFO

>not that arch users would care about standards
archfags BTFO

This is anecdotal but I have, in the past 5 years of using my arch install, had maybe one or two scripts that I needed to go in and change #!/usr/bin/env python to python2 and those were quickly changed upstream too after reporting them. It is a non-issue.

>forever
>just running sed

mmkay.

gentoo or arch? need to make a decision on what to install by tonight. nevermind the purpose of the laptop looking for personal opinion

I vote “fuck off and make your own decision”

that isn't an option, please refer to the original question.
thank u

because they've spent time learning python2 thinking that's all they'll have to ever learn and suddenly a better version comes out so they need to learn that one now.

Think C to C++.

No one hates Python 3 in the real world. Autists on Sup Forums don't like it because it's not C / Rust / Haskell, therefore, by default it's bloatware / pajeet level language. You will not find any reasonable arguments against Python here.

this should be the tagline for arch linux