/alg/ - Arch Linux General

Welcome to /alg/ - Arch Linux General.
Users of all levels are welcome to tell the world that they're using Arch Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lol

install gentoo

My build is getting sluggish now and I want to purge everything off it except the OS obviously so I can install just the stuff I want after messing around with tons of shite

Is this possible or do I have to reinstall?

>/alg/
do you not know what archwiki is? literally everything Arch related is there, mr snowflake.

nice digits and nice meme and nice wiki

they actually removed it all to make their club more secret. not even kidding

This is now a Solus thread

You mean Ubuntu Budgie right friendo?

Solus.

> tell the world that they're using Arch Linux.
I'm using Arch Linux.

Are manjaro users welcome?

If you want to start from scratch, why not reinstall? The basics of configuring takes no time, and from there you can build your own install in the way you want.

@57753451
>Are memejaro users welcome?
no

can some one paste here a tuto to install archlinux with EFI boot grub and cryptsetup ?
Please
archlinux is good so help other user to install this =)

This isn't the friendly arch general, m8. Only elite arch users allowed here.

I can install arch with my eyes closed. I've done it many times.

wow user you're so cool
then again i know where the buttons are for 'pacstrap' and 'genfstab' too

correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure GRUB handles this shit on its own, or it's just grub-install-efi or something. The wiki will have the correct answer.

nvm lol

man that's a pretty good tutorial

I agree, although the AMD driver part should be updated.

Ahm... sure, mate.
wiki.archlinux.org/

?

why do you folks use arch? give me genuine reasons, not dumb meme based ones please. i truly dont understand why you'd want to go through the more complex install for a 'minimalisms' system, but any other distros netinst does the same, and with tiny repos, unaudited crap on the AUR written by neets, and last time i checked pacman didnt even bother to verify downloaded packages.

You dont want to know, you just want to provoke angry replies.
I bet you're posting this from arch right now.

There's also the AMDGPU-Pro driver in the aur, but I guess it isn't necessary.

I use Solus

Can someone explain why minimal amount of packages is better?

I install a whole bunch of stuff all the time to try new things and normally don't remove them unless they cause a problem.

Updates take longer because there are more packages to update - who cares?

>using yaourt and not pacaur

kys

>what is the AUR

I could never get the amdgpu-pro driver in the aur to work with my R9 380.

>unaudited crap on the AUR written by neets
>I can't read a PKGBUILD

For me it's like having a fucked up mess of a room, or downloading music and all the tags and filenames are fucked up: You just feel disgusted even looking at it. Keeping everything to a minimum creates a feeling of order I guess. Probably has some connection with some kind of OCD, but who knows. I guess just imagine having a messy desk, except instead of it being cluttered by things you've used or needed, imagine that your desk just came with all that shit on it whether or not you need it.

I just got the RX 470. I think the open source drivers are good enough and they're getting a lot better since it has official support from AMD. Gonna run Solus on my rig.

I use Arch along with Korora and FreeBSD.

hello again KDE shill how are you doing today?
what do you use FreeBSD for? as in a server use, or a desktop workstation use?

I use FreeBSD to learn how it handles things in comparison to Linux. And yes, it's for a desktop workstation.

I actually like ghostBSD

what do you think of it so far?

That it's even worse than lunix

Well it's pretty nice (GhostBSD) and simple. I loved the installer. I'm getting used to fish.

Problem is, I got so used to systemd that I feel like a fish out of the water outside of it. But luckily it has a good wiki.

Now despite having a good wiki I think users should have a fair amount of knowledge of Linux/Unix alike OSes.

I wish it was more heavily developed but the core system is pretty cohesive.

You mean how they removed one article? Yeah, that's the whole wiki. Totally.

Fucking idiot.

By heavily developed I mean that it has some bugs that should have been fixed some time ago but it's not even reported yet.

For example if you plug in a TV through HDMi and keep the laptop lid off, it works. However if you reboot the system the init things that the system displays should be deactivated.

In Linux I would solve it by:
1. Tell systemd-logind to ignore lid close
2. Tell sytemd-acpid to permenantly disable the laptop's embedded monitor.

i3wm

Arch instability is a meme if your configuration is sane. Didn't boot into arch for 6 months, and decided to boot it up and update it today. Everything was perfect.

Just a weird question that keeps bothering me if anyone cares to answer-
But why does it seem like I must reboot after every Kernel update in Arch? And if I don't reboot weird shit just doesn't work, certain programs and any usb devices don't work after being plugged in. A reboot makes everything happy and working again but why?

You don't have to reboot:. log out, switch to tty and kill your user processes and log back in

>A reboot makes everything happy and working again but why?
>arch teaches you about linux
kek

Because it needs to load the new kernel. If you don't want to reboot, use kexec.