X220 and t420 appreciation thread

fuck every other portable computers, post your x220 or t420 setups here.

Currently posting from my x220. Feels comfy

post pics pls

How viable would T420 be as the main and only computer? How long could I expect it to last?

Chillin in my backyard, homie

x200 reporting in!

basically forever if you don't take it anywhere

x201 and x220 reporting in.

I would use it at home only, but I have other reasons why I can't have a desktop computer.

your mom won't let you?

X220 with i5-2520m and 4 GB of DDR3 a good deal for ~$200?

t601f master race reporting in

I'm doing this with my T420 and serves me well with docking station and eGPU, even for gaymen .

Whats the performance like on a x200? I've got a x220 but I love it too much to take it traveling. Was thinking about one of these.

I change living places a lot and a desktop is very inconvenient to move. I don't need to use the computer portably, though. That's my reason.
That's pretty cool.

What about x220t?

it's cool too

step it up

neat wallpaper

desu i hate dissasembling thinkpads

disgusting 16:9 pieces of rubbish. I don't know how you can use that x220 without feeling like you're suffocating.

>desu i hate dissasembling thinkpads
Try reassembling them. Particularly if you weren't the one to disassemble it.

>tfw outside of the linux thinkpad circlejerk because i use win7 on mine

I don't really do anything hardware intensive with my x200, just programming and watching anime.

It did run minecraft 1.6 at 12-15fps back when I used to play it.
I didn't even bother to install more than the 2GB of ram it came with because it's so responsive with the SSD I installed.

For a nice dependable beater laptop, I don't think you can do better.

Now upgraded to a 1050ti

Top bezel cover that covers from the mute to the power snapped off while I was taking the keyboard out. Does anyone know where I can get just the the bezel and not a whole keyboard? Its a t430

wandered over here from another board... so

whats up with ThinkPads? why are they good?

They're cheap and easy to repair.
They also have a design language that many people find appealing, some would consider them the anti-macbook, as they're built entirely around practical durability and not fashion.
I put the emphasis on cheap, mostly because Sup Forums is full of poorfag neets and it's pretty nice being able to buy a fully working core2duo laptop computer for under $70.

Unless you want to pay $500+ for a gaymen laptop (when it is much more powerful and cost-effective to build your own desktop), a cheap thinkpad from the last 5 years has the best price/performance ratio, and you also get
+durability (magnesium rollcage, keyboard drain holes)
+common changeable batteries (can even add slice battery or optical drive battery)
+gnu/linux support (free as in freedom)
+trackpoint (better than trackpad and you can pretend it is your waifu's clitoris)
+easy hardware replacement/modification (mix and match parts from different thinkpads like a neckbeard)
+History (IBM, 1990's, wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad#Use_in_space)

/autism

:3 the enthusiasm is endearing.

all i knew about them before was from that Youtube electronics repair guy saying they never break and are spill resistant.

come with HDD and a 9 cell battery? If so yes.

I got one with no battery or HDD but for 80 bucks. Also came with the processor a model higher than that one, upgraded the ram to 8gb, salvaged an HDD from another lap[top, and bought a 9 cell battery. All together for less than $200.

probably Based Rossmann

i'm somewhat in the same position, i have stuff all over my desk right now so i can't take a pic, but what i do is

>monitor
>wireless mouse and kb, separate brands/receivers though
>12ft aux cable to my headphones for mobility
>laptop lid shut, off to the side
>battery removed to preserve lifespan

like using a desktop with none of the hassle of it. when i want to move around? i put the battery in and walk away

i don't think i can ever go back to a desktop now

the few times

I just got an x220 with the 2540m, the HDD, a good 9 cell, 8GB RAM, the IPS screen, w/ charger and Win 7 Pro for 250 dollars.

Pretty excited for it to get here, I have a spare 512 GB 850 Pro to throw it in too.

x200 is BAE i fucking love my x200

daaaamn thats sexy, enjoy it!

Dabs?

>that shitty ass keyboard
>vomit.jpeg

What eGPU? How do I set up something like this myself?

i bought a T420 with 320gb 4gb ram
it's slow as shit so i'm gonna upgrade to 4gb and 120gb ssd will it gotta go fast?

Got a beater X201T with the low power 1.06 GHz i5, a SSD, and a malfunctioning touchscreen. I want a t420 or similar to use for a desktop, but I am cheap and will probably just use this with a dock.

My X201 with a 1.06 GHz i5, 4gb RAM, probably stock SSD, and Mint is fast for general use, so yes, it should be.

>What eGPU?
It's in the same post you replied to.

until 2030 probably

you will have to buy a 4k monitor unless you want to stay with an outdated resolution

yeah

fix 8gb

i would update the cpu if it's slow with 4gb. putting more ram in it is not going to speed it up by much.

>2030
decent rad

> 1.06 GHz i5
Fucking Intel, staining the iX class with M processor. But yeah, depends on your usage and definition of fast.

it will be usable at least. It will never be super quick in anything besides very basic desktop use and web browsing at this point.

usually i'm gonna use it for adobe,clip studio and other light program
if i feel unenough i have to upgrade to 2670qm

Why not the 2720qm?

uh.. honestly i'm newfag at laptop
so i'm still studying thanks

Not like I'm any better. I'm buying a t420 soon and considering a CPU upgrade myself. The 2720 seems a bit more powerful but also looks to be more expensive.

How dumb is it to buy one from an eBay chink or get a used one?

i bought that shit box with 250usd (i live in cuckrea so buy one at south cuckrea site) that was worse than you thought

usually it's 150-200 usd in ebay
i think buy one from an ebay probably better than me

I'm if you want to ask about the 2720qm, found it used for $25 on ebay and yeah i doubt you'll get a brand new laptop cpu from 2011 at a decent price.

GTX 950 in the pic but now upgraded to 1050ti, you'll need an expresscard adapter, desktop gpu and an atx power supply.

ITT: DINOSAURS for poo in the loo pajeets who can't afford computers made in 2010s.

You know it's true. No need to argue. Just go find the nearest corner and sulk in shame.

say hi to my W520

I'm getting a T420 to use as a daily beater to take the place of an Acer gaming ultrabook I've had for a while but can't upgrade, because I'm too cautious about using my Chromebook Pixel LS for shitposting and tinkering.

>and an atx power supply
You can use these things safely outside of a case?

wat

you only need to plug cables and that's it

Any pics of the entire setup? I've mostly stuck to the laptop alone, never even using a dock or external monitors, but I might try something like this.

Just Google eGPU setup to get an idea, i don't have any pic because it looks boring so i don't see the point of taking one but here's my speccy .

Also yeah you end up with a mess of cables with the ATX PSU, adapter and whatnot, i shoved everything inside of a small DIY case i made from an old radio so it's clean.

dank
I want one
-posted from t420

T420 and X220T posting. My father wanted a new laptop with a touch screen that was cheap and durable so I recommended the X220T and he loves it. I think refurbished thinkpads are the go to choice when recommending cheap laptops to older relatives.

Can I replace the keyboard on my X220 with a nip one?

How much does the size difference affect your use?

What would be the point? Can you write moonspeak?

Personally I prefer the size of the T420. The palm rest is a bit too small for my hands on the X220T and I end up having some of my palm resting over the edge, and although the screen is a bit sharper I like having the slightly bigger screen. I assume the same is true for the X220, but the size isn't that big of a deal and I would be happy with either one. I asked my father the same question you gave me and he agrees he would appreciate it being slightly bigger.

You don't need to because it has QWERTY layout printed as well as the moonrunes. .

So why?

I'm not him, simply saying you don't need to understand the moonspeak in order to use the keyboard.

Thanks. I have a X201T, and I too crave something bigger and more powerful. It's great for laying around shitposting, but a bit annoying for actual work.

Also a little image showing off the size difference with my hand.

Yes. It's surprising to find weeaboos on Sup Forums?