How future proof is 16gib of ram?

how future proof is 16gib of ram?

Surely programs wont become bloated to the point where its not enough, right?

16GB is the minimum for 2016 for the mid-range computer.

You will be unlikely to do anything regularly that will use more than about 10-12GB, but you can easily use more than 8GB.

Going over 16GB would take some doing, so it's unlikely you will need 32GB at least not until 2020.

that's the thing
I dont do much and somehow, just somehow I needed more than 8gb of ram

thankfully I dont exceed 12gb usage but man

>quietly humming along with a gig of ram
>old 128 mb IGP

What are you people doing to warrant using that much ram? Rendering videos with 100 tabs open in Firefox, most of them being javascript-heavy and containing media, torrenting...and playing a game on your second screen, not paying attention to the video at all?

I do understand that a lot of Sup Forums have legitimate uses for that much ram, but what is a normalfag going to do with all those resources?

Yeah, that's why I said 16GB is the new minimum, it isn't hard to use 10-12GB.

It is hard to use more than 16GB however.

Dynamic RAM allocation, all you're doing is caching things on your SSD/HDD far more often.

Having more RAM just lets you keep more things quickly accessible through the RAM instead of being cached and retrieved from the SSD/HDDs

If you have more RAM, your OS will use more RAM, if you have only 1GB of RAM, your OS will only use a tiny bit of RAM.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM and I currently using 12GB with 11 chrome tabs and some disk encryption happening in the background.

I have 2GB of RAM and am using about 600MB.

I don't buy the "unused RAM is wasted RAM" meme, since it conveniently means you have to buy more to make use of it by definition. With that line of reasoning you will never spend enough money or have enough memory.

Plus having that amount of memory being widespread encourages software to become even more bloated and badly written, which means you're fighting a losing battle.

I have firefox with like 10 tabs and maybe a few things in the background and I'm already at 12gb

I use photoshop for art too and it works fine as long as I dont open up any ref in honey view

>Plus having that amount of memory being widespread encourages software to become even more bloated and badly written, which means you're fighting a losing battle.

If you think your personal RAM use in anyway influences software development you're literally retarded.

Literally no one cares that you run on 2GB of RAM, software devs will tell you to suck it up and buy more RAM if you want to use their program, the only one you're screwing over here is yourself because everyone else has zero compunctions about spending another $40 to go from 8GB to 16GB.

No idea, I used 1 GB for a very long time, then 2 GB made me feel like superman for several years.

Now I use 2.2GB regularly for typical stuff, not even gaming or real work which bumps it to 3.7GB or in rare case max at 4 for a few seconds. Thing is I am mostly doing the same basic things, adding HD video viewing put a noticeable load, but never more then 1 GB. I gave up trying to figure out where it all goes as bloat seems ubiquitous now, and growing at an alarming rate.
I am tempted to just jump to 32 or 64 in my next build and load everything to RAM for pure speed, not that I have a legitimate reason to do it.

>it's acceptable because consumerism

WTF I love capitalism now!

>not having 128GB of RAM

0/10
With 10 tabs of chrome, a minecraft server, vocaloid3 and a massive project in mixcraft6 open, skype, hamachi, steam, AND a modern game, I'm at 6gb. Why are people so retarded?

I have 32GB DDR4, 16GB set aside for a RAM disk, 16GB used for system memory.

No it's acceptable because it's dirt cheap

>he doesn't understand dynamic RAM allocation

I have 32GB of RAM, my OS KNOWS I have RAM to spare for days, so it feels free to use as much RAM as it wants to. Hence my 10-12GB RAM use fairly regularly.

If you have less RAM installed, your OS will use less RAM.

Its not fucking rocket science.

>but you can easily use more than 8GB.

Bullshit. I can open a fuckton of programs as well as 4k videos, huge image files, and have two browsers running each with 50 tabs and not hit 6gb of usage.

This is why it takes a lot of people to refuse to accept inefficient software. Look at cars. It's now the case where fuel efficiency is a major part of what makes people buy one car over another. Whether due to financial or environmental concerns it's a large factor.

Same with home appliances.

No one would consider "buy more shit, faggot" to be an acceptable business practise in any other arena but computing.

How much RAM do you have installed? If it's 8GB that's fucking why, your OS dumps less used things from your RAM and caches them to your SSD or HDD in order to free up some RAM in case whatever you're currently doing needs it.

If you had 16GB of RAM installed you'd just start using 12GB+ and as it approaches 16GB it would start caching again.

>No it's acceptable because it's dirt cheap

So's electricity but people would still rather get an A+ appliance over a B, despite that saving you about £20 a year.

>this fucking backpedaling

you said
>16GB is the minimum for 2016 for the mid-range computer.

And right here you admit you know the actual amount of RAM necessary for functioning is < 8gb because the OS is using most of the space for caching data to open programs more quickly if you have more than that, a luxury which is not necessary at all for using your computer.

>No it's acceptable because it's dirt cheap

You know what's cheaper? Not buying anything at all.

>fuel efficiency
Fuel economy. Fuel efficiency is virtually unchanged from the late 90s.

well while you spend the next decade waging your war against software devs who don't optimize i'll continue using my 32GB of DDR4 and enjoying quick load times for basically everything.

Good luck in your fight against bloat, the rest of the world and I will see you in a decade to check up on the progress.

>which is not necessary at all for using your computer.
It's a quality of life thing, why do you hate yourself so much that you're not willing to spend $20-40 to go from 8GB to 16GB?

Is it NEEDED to run the computer? No. But it certainly makes things overall faster.

12gb

I don't really need my OS to cache 10gb of data. That would be caching files for programs I use maybe once a month. I happen to have 12gb in my PC but 8gb would still be quite enough for a mid-range PC for at least the next year or two. My laptop has 4gb and I notice no real world difference for the sort of casual tasks I ask of it. My dad has only 2gb of ram in his and it still feels good too (running Xubuntu 16.04).

well if you're running a unix-like or linux distro, of course your RAM use is going to be far lower than windows.

Don't be a faggot autist, you know 90% of personal computers are running windows.

>buy new hardware
>software becomes more bloated
>so need to buy new hardware
>software becomes more bloated
>so need to buy new hardware

And all the while hardware and software developers get richer and you get no benefit from all your investments aside from feeling oh-so up-to-date.

The only winning move is not to play.

I have 24 install, and with all that, it only uses up 6.

I had 8GB of DDR2 in my Core2Quad system from 2007. In 2015 when building a new computer I upgraded to a 5820k and 32GB 4x8GB DDR4.

If you build your computer to last 5+ years, there is no need to keep upgrading like a moron.

Lets see some pics bby. I have 24GB installed myself and am using over 9GB with just chrome open. Not even watching videos.

Chrome uses memory disgustingly, though. With about 25 tabs open it was using about 5GB on my system.

I have 9 tabs open

why do you even have that many tabs open? I only have that much open, when I'm activel searching or developing something.

Your point still stands though, One youtube tab playing music and those 8 tabs are using about one gigabyte...

I 'only' have six gigabytes and am more than happy.

nagisa a best

Only way you need more than 8 is if you work with photoshop/music/video editors constantly throughout the day

>why do you even have that many tabs open?
Because I'm doing shit? Are you going to tell me how to use my computer?

not sure why people insist on arguing about shit they don't really know about

well my biggest RAM hog is actually my disk encryption which is using about 2GB of RAM constantly.

It runs 24/7.

this is the image I was looking for

what anime is this cutie from?

kek, I can close processes too user

No, but why do you need that many? Are you actively using all of them?

How are you expecting to be able to browse the web with 16gb of ram when every web page page will have you download 8gigs of JS to deliver you a premium experience (personal ads and an entire neural network with data so they can mine your actions for information in the background without paying for CPU time)?

Do your duty. Shoot web developers on sight. Those filthy buggers have webbed up the world enough.

akb0048

I love Nagisa's voice.

my memory graph was flat, user

Unlike yours, in which you suddenly launched a bunch of shit to say ''hey you need ram''
gosh you are fucking retarded

Duh.

With Discord, gdrive, a few boards, and kikebook open, plus standard background programs and music playing, I'm at 2.8/16

RAM is a meme

lmfao suddenly launched? The only way I got it down under 5GB was closing all my chrome tabs, force closing my backup service, stopping disk encryption, and also closing steam and a few other smaller background processes.

isn't it like that, because he just started task manager?

Yup, unless you think I went from 0GB to 9GB all at once.

I don't think even loading fresh into windows I would be using that little RAM, even windows 10 with safemode would use more than 2.8GB.

i still ride 3gb

that was my point, his point is invalid

he stated you just launched programs to say that you are using that much ram

but you did not.

correct, further, in this screenshot
you can literally see the bar drop as I start closing processes.

Videogames are hungrier and hungrier despite not usually needing it.

The other big application is the web. JS is ass and web apps are absurdly memory hungry for the limited functionality they currently offer. It's going to get a lot worse.

what is
?

i've had 16gibsmedats for years and i have never gone over 8gibs

What do you mean? It's a retard thinking because I opened up the task manager and took a screenshot before allowing the logging to go all the way across the screen that it somehow means I dont use that much RAM.

Oh look at this screen shot, all I did was re-open chrome, didn't restart steam, didn't restart my backup or anything else.

Is 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz far better than 24GB DDR3 666Mhz?

ty

As a general rule you should have more RAM than a smartphone.

Because pajeets are going to program software aimed at smartphone resources.

>he fell for this 8/16/32/64/128 GB meme

I even use Chrome. Learn to de-bloat, manage background apps and stop using 50 useless browser extensions.

You're confusing a DDR effective clock with the actual clock. DDR3 666MHz actual is equivalent to ~1333 effective.

When web browsing I am using about 1-2GB of RAM max and that's with a heavy DE like Gnome.

When gaming you rarely if not never need more than 8GB of RAM.The only games that use more than 8GB of RAM are horribly optimized and will run like shit regardless.

So unless you are running VMs or whatever specialized software, 4-8GB for web browsing, 8GB for gaming, 16GB or more only if you have the money to spare or do advanced things with your computer.

B-but I love muh excess RAM

Just Firefox on with a few extensions, btw

>give yourself 5x more work to do in basic computer operation just to save $20

but y tho?

>56 processes
>63 processes

I have 124 right now, why should I have to debloat THAT fucking much just to save a few $?

The 63 processes here. I debloat nothing.

It takes like 5 mins to work the group policy and privacy settings. Remove metro apps, disable the rest.

That's it, I don't have to cut back on my work applications.

My laptop only has 2 slots of ram and its quite expensive here.

I've seen my firefox alone using ~6G

An electric car uses 1/3 of the energy as an internal combustion car.

An electric car does not use fuel, so nice try smartass. Pull numbers out of your ass for someone else.

32 GiB or bust

Hurrr, they just magically create energy out of thin air.

Lol nice one

I have a laptop with 2gb ram and it can web browse, stream HD and do power point and ms word stuff, also runs a few low end games

Go study some English, retard, and stop making shit up. You won't get me with it.

I'm not arguing over the word fuel you dumbass. I'm saying electric cars still need fuel. Should have studied your English harder in India.

>3 GB
lol
Firefox and a few background processes:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3.8G 2.9G 880M 84M 32M 2.1G
-/+ buffers/cache: 778M 3.0G
Swap: 7.8G 2.9M 7.8G

>I'm not arguing over the word fuel you dumbass. I
Apparently you are since, by definition, electric cars do not use fuel. Stop arguing with people who know more than you.

It's cheap as fuck to upgrade. 16gb is fine if you just do normie shit

Electric cars do use fuel. Why are you so retarded?

Where does the electricity for the car come from? Generally a coal fired plant or similar.

Stick to GPUs, you don't know shit about EVs.
Oh boy, this argument. Sure, fuel can be used to generate electricity, but it's not required, and the car itself does not use it to generate electricity, unless of course it's a hybrid.

Did you know that CoD black ops 3 crashes without paging + 16gb RAM

>Dynamic RAM allocation
top fucking kek, keep pretending that your OS isn't a massive pile of shit.

I got 32gb and I've seen it hit around 45%. I keep literally 50 tabs open. Don't know what you other niggas are doin but i got another 16ish to fuck with, but by then i'll probably see some drag on my CPU

You don't know anything.

Cool, go back to your GPUs.

Go back to India.

You go

Wow ur mad

How can you say??

Ah, I see you've been triggered. I now understand the illogic behind your posts.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of a desktop computer without 32 GB of RAM. You should get 64 GB.