>live in Chicago
>start web design service a couple months ago
>have had 3 contracts at $600 per one
>all baby boomers age 60+
>act like I'm a freaking wizard genius
>they don't know how easy it really is
>wondering if I should keep going or not
>wondering how many people are able to make their own websites now

Should I continue putting time and effort into getting web design jobs? I've been trying to figure out if the average person knows how to make their own website or not. So far, I've seen that many Millenials know how to make their own, but the age 32+ demographic do not know how.

Some millennials have also told me that they have no idea how to make a website. How many people do you think know how to make their own websites?

Bump

well I mean if you have money coming in from it for little real work then I don't see why you wouldn't continue. especially since it's the kind of thing that's easy to do as a sideline.

And yes, most people of all age groups are clueless about it. Most people not only don't want to learn things but actively avoid doing so, and Windows, Mac, and commercial software all tries very hard to cater to that mindset.

Its easy for people who poked around with tech stuff as a hobby in their youth. Since even if they don't know how to set up an http server, for instance, they know what an http server is, they know what they would search for to learn how to set one up, and they find the process at least somewhat interesting, instead of being a vile, difficult chore between where they are now and the goal of having a website.

not OP but $1800 for two months is not very good money. Sideline I get, but I'm pretty sure OP wants to know how to make this a real business.

Also I want to know about this too. With the proliferation of things like Square Space or any of the other ones out there, what contracts can a one man shop really get and how? I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have been successful doing this in the last 2ish years

As long as you have clients and can stay profitable, I don't see why you should stop.

I've been thinking of starting a similar service, but I don't really know where to begin or find clients.

The main profitable being rich and optimizing your wealth. You should switch to that.

Everything else gets optimized away pretty soon now.

> How many people do you think know how to make their own websites?
About as many as know how to properly take care of 120+ species of flowers?

It's kinda irrelevant since most people don't need their own website any more than they need a professionally managed flower garden.

Where do I subscribe?

Web design is not easy.

I bet you don't design shit, you just copy templates.

op, how did you find your clients?

>$1800 worth of contracts
>for a few months worth of effort
sure sounds like a profession

and yet he's making $600 per client, keep up your hard work Pajeet

>do thing
>have success doing thing
>lel shoudl i keep going guiseeee xdddddd
kys

Armenian Hobbit sexdoll.

If you get lots of money for very little work then you probably should stop doing it. Being well paid for the work you do is unhealthy. Better to be paid next to nothing and work yourself half to death instead. I am pretty sure many more agree with me and that you should stop with that profitable effort you do. You can send your customers to me instead, I will take them off your back.

I am your age and make 2200 after taxes every two weeks. You are doing bad, go get a normal development position you loser and leave chicago

Yeah I just use templates. The clients don't care.

After I finish my business degree, I'm going to go take a few coding classes at the community college, though.

I'm in college full time and I do something else for income. I put minimal effort into this thing, I've just gotten the few contracts through word of mouth. After I graduate, I'm planning on putting a lot of effort into it. I was just wondering if it's worth it.

>leave chicago
Why? I only ask because I've been thinking about moving somewhere else.

>why would i want to leave a bankrupt city infested by niggers with a high cost of living when I have a job I could do anywhere with internet access
you truly are retarded OP. this ignores how your industry has been replaced by pajeets.

>>act like I'm a freaking wizard genius
That must do wonders for your crippled ego.

>that must do wonders for your crippled ego
Is there a high level of autism and social retardation on this board? I was fucking pointing out the fact that baby boomers are disconnected from what's going on in the tech market, so they are easily impressed by my low-level web design skills. So I was addressing the fact that I don't think their level of satisfaction with my service is an accurate understanding of my potential future success with web design.

>why would i want to leave a bankrupt city infested by niggers with a high cost of living when I have a job I could do anywhere with internet access
>you truly are retarded OP. this ignores how your industry has been replaced by pajeets.

Yeah, so I get on the internet and look at some other cities in the USA, and I don't see shit going on anywhere else. Denver is oversaturated with liberal pothead faggots, Boise Idaho looks nice but there aren't many jobs. I don't really like the East and South because it's humid and shit doesn't seem to go on there, unless your in NYC, which is like Chicago on steroids. Texas might be okay, but the weather looks miserable.

Everybody shit talks Chicago, but everywhere else looks worse in other ways. And just because the city has been decimated by niggerfaggots and liberals, doesn't change the fact that it remains one of the most diverse economies in the USA and with a lot of money invested here.

Holy shit, chill out with the hostility people.

At first I thought that's chloe moretz

>Everybody shit talks Chicago
I live in rogers park you faget.

>Boise Idaho looks nice but there aren't many jobs.
werent you just going on about how you were going to be a one man web dev shop? how the fuck are jobs in idaho relevant.

>most diverse economies in the USA
the state is bankrupt and you'll see massive white and corporate flight as soon as the state and city gets the balls to address its pension problems.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

This. Also no gun rights

So why haven't you moved out of Chicago then? I still don't think the place will collapse.

>how the fuck are jobs relevant to your business
You won't get business if there isn't money flowing through an area. There has to be jobs so that people can make money to start their business, and then I can make a website for the business.

If jobs didn't matter, I'd move out to Missoula Montana next week and open up a web design business. But I can't because there aren't any jobs so there aren't people spending a lot of money on local businesses, and so I wouldn't make any money.

Holy shit, it's basic economics.

The fuck are you morons talking about? You can get concealed carry no problem in Chicago

You'd be surprised, local businessman payed me 300 euros for a website. I was in college at the time so I just edited the css and images on an old project website and gave it to him.
300 euros for half an hours work is great.

>So why haven't you moved out of Chicago then?
Because my job in IT cant be done from anywhere in the country unlike webdev.

>You won't get business if there isn't money flowing through an area.
You said you got all your jobs through word of mouth, meaning that your physical location is irrelevant.

>The fuck are you morons talking about?
Rifles

I guess that's cool. Not that you shouldn't take these opportunities.

But I think it's hard to get a constant flow of okay paying jobs.

It's odd how I find so many business majors doing web design.

Essentially he's just taking advantage of old people.

Well, the OP can provide everything for the client, like domain and host and can get subscription based jobs. Like nstead of 600$, you can charge people for 400$ for design and 40$ a month for keeping it up.

Also, word of mouth is an excellent tool. It starts slow but grows exponentially. You can promote your business by giving people an option for bringing a new client for 3 months of free service (which doesn't cost you anything) etc. Think and you can find more ways to make it grow. I personally don't do this kind of a job, but my roommate back in the Uni did and paid his bills easily.

Its not about making a website but making a good professional secure website.

>making less than $10k/month
>career
step up senpai

THICCCCCCCER

Oh yeah? It makes a lot of sense. There's no overhead, production costs, or any of that. I've spent $150 total on web design, and made almost 2k. Pretty good operation.

I want to impregnate her

>doesnt value his own time
>figures are off by more than 10%
>ignores taxes

Do you two like qts??

I'm super cute! ;3

>Do you two like qts??
i dont want boipussy

> how many
Zero

I'm a CS major and most of the seniors tend to build websites as their final projects. Still zero.

THANK GOD. A good answer. Thank you so much.

My friend who is a web designer (charges $6,000 for a small website) was a CS major, and said you don't even learn anything. He said if he could do it over again, he would've gotten a business degree and just did web design anyways.

enjoy it while it lasts

personal and small business sites will soon be designed and coded by ai

uh most of tech's profit is from old ppl / normies

Pls teach me how

The site building gravy train ended years ago. Those left are fighting over scraps.

CS has basically nothing to do with webdesign.

CS has little to do with anything, I don't understand how is it even a degree.

>but the age 32+ demographic do not know how

just a reminder that you're an imbecile

want some fried chicken and watermelon for the event

If you don't have a good grounding in CS, you're nothing but a shitty code monkey.

Just a fact that you can't be a male prostitute forever, your tits are going to sag eventually

So you just buy some hosting or VPS and put the webpage in and it works?

Not viable. As real companies will invest in making it painless to create a quality website from some well-made template the human part of software design will die. If management people can build a website as easily as creating a powerpoint presentation from a template, then there is no need to specialized designer.

Enjoy while it last, that is for about 20 more years since the +40 still enjoy the human relation. Younger people like us don't give a shit and want to get our website done as we want and on the cheap.