Calls it a "personal" computer

>calls it a "personal" computer
>uses entirely software others have written
>and spends all his time connected to other computers
>in order to consume media someone else created

Remind me what's "personal" about modern PCs.

>muh modern era
>muh good ole' times

kys you dumb teenager.

hardware ownership

This.

It was called a "personal" computer compared to mini computers (you know, the size of a refrigerator) and large servers you brain dead fuck.

>Remind me what's "personal" about modern PCs.
My pink anime Arch rice.

Can't answer the question.

Most computers are just television 2.0

It's pretty sad desu

People used to ya know..USE their computers for things.

>complains about how computers aren't "personal" anymore because they're used mostly to connect with others
>he posts this using a computer made of parts he didn't personally create, running an OS he didn't write himself, on a network protocol he didn't create himself, onto a website not owned by him, using a markup language he didn't write, specifically to solicit responses from other people about why computers have become a social thing

I keep forgetting that autistic people don't recognize irony.

>what's personal
What's personal about your house, dis you build it yourself from scratch, even the bricks
What's personal about your car, did you build it yourself?
Pc are personal computers as opposed to servers

>Sup Forums spergs out rather than reply with things like "I wrote my own..." or "I build my own..."

I for one use a bash script I wrote myself that prints a menu of the various IRC channels I post in, where I press a key to join a particular one as I have a different name and other settings in each. It's inspired by BBS menus.

My anime rice.

>Can't answer the question.

When you see real autism in action.

we get it, you study programming in college/high school and are better than everybody else who uses computers to do fun shit like play games, watch videos, research their interests on the internet

The fact that you, yourself, own the computer. Before computers were owned by companies or governments.

Not only that but it is "personal" sized, as in not the size of a house.

Plus, you have to admit, it is good marketing.

Someone seems a mite bit tetchy.

Did you read your OS and installed programs EULA to say this bullshit?
Corporations own your computer and you too.

Learn English, shit for brains.

it's a single-user system you own and operate and control by yourself
the purpose of a computer is to compute, it doesn't matter who gave it the instructions to compute with, software is just a tool

besides, the software you write yourself is not "yours" by your definition either, you're using someone else's compiler you didn't write, someone else's libraries, someone else's algorithms, and a system you didn't design

>Corporations own your computer and you too.
corporations own everything, get over it or install another operating system instead of trying to act intellectual on a japanese cartoon community

But they don't. The software is not the computer. The drivers are not the computer. The computer is a physical object which they do not know.

It is like saying that the apple pickers own the basket despite the fact that they only picked the apples that are inside the basket that they.... sold to you.

You do realize that, even in the case of Microsoft's surface pro laptops, they don't own the computer still. Through a vendor, they sold you a computer that has some software on it which they wrote but that does not mean they perpetually own it. And even if you were paying for a subscription of office 365, they don't own the binaries. They own, in that instance, the means by which you activate the software and the service of providing it to you. But they do not even own the software itself.

It is illegal to reverse-engineer and modify hardware in some countires on this planet. Hope, you don't live in one of them.

It's not usually the reverse engineering that's illegal, but the redistribution of intellectual property.

It's not that hard to understand. The design is intellectual property. You don't own this. The physical device is your property, thus "personal". It's not some sort of mortgage contract or software license, it's an actual asset.

Unlike you, we own our computers and we don't have to share them. They're also called personal because they're small and affordable. Crawl back to your basement, retard. Maybe mommy will buy you a new SSD for Christmas.

These.

You fucking moron. Micro computers are what you are referring to you goddamned faggot ape. What are you, some 20 something college faggot? Learn your fucking history.

It was called "personal" meaning "single user".

I guess the marketing drones thought that "personal" was a more comfy-human-sounding adjective rather than "single user".

Of course, a good OS will also allow multiple users simultaneously. However, because most people attach only one monitor/mouse/keyboard, most of them are de-facto single-user.

Though, back in the days of MS-DOS, it really was literally a "single user" OS because the OS couldn't support multiple users. I think even Windows 3.X was still restricted to a single user.

Except the CIA Intel Nigger Jews own your hardware

The fact that you own it and don't necessarily use it at the same time as others.

It belongs to you, it's yours. So it's your personal thing. Also, since other computers often are used for e.g. servers, and personal computers are for the consumers

Fully agree, I create my own hardware from a pile of copper and silicon, using tools I created on my own. I also write my own software using my own compiler. It took me hundreds of man-years of non stop work just to reply on this post, but it's worth it.

Did you create the atoms yourself by violating the law of conservation of mass using the sheer force of your own will? No? Then shut the fuck up, scrub.

The fact that it is mine not the one the company or school owns. It was called that because back in the day you were lucky to have access to one let alone your own.

No, it was called that because back in the day you had time sharing or multi-user systems you accessed through a terminal.

>>calls it a "personal" computer
Because in those days they had terminals (basically a monitor, keyboard and modem) which would connect to mainframes or other shared computers like BBSes.

If you wanted to run programs which used CPU time you had to pay for it. If you read the Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll, it talks about how he found russian hackers stealing our nuclear secrets back in the 80s, while debugging a small billing error on a mainframe.

Not too diverge too far from the shitposting, but the whole "personal" part of the PC probably was influenced by how taxes categorize property in to real and personal, as in real estate and personal estate.

A giant computer, like ENIAC, was real estate for tax purposes because it's much like the infrastructure of a building: shit ain't moving. Whereas something a tenant of a rented property would likely take with him or her or it (in the case of a business entity) like a chair or a sales display is personal. The definition does get hazy since you can technically move anything you want given resources and time.

>other shared computers like BBSes

>Not too diverge too far from the shitposting, but the whole "personal" part of the PC probably was influenced by how taxes categorize property in to real and personal, as in real estate and personal estate.
Wow, what a reach.

>but the whole "personal" part of the PC probably was influenced by how taxes categorize property in to real and personal, as in real estate and personal estate.
no, the "personal" part of the PC originated from the fact that it was... personal, it was meant and designed to be owned/managed and operated by one person in a small, personal space

These.

It's not about ownership, it's about how the computer itself services 1 person as opposed to multiple terminals.

But it IS ownership and the way the system is designed around it, you could load Xenix or PC/IX on a PC back then and hang some terminals off of it, but that didn't really make it stop being a system that was designed from the start as a single-user box.

>a system that was designed from the start as a single-user box

You agreed with me.

A personal computer doesn't stop being a personal computer when it's set up in a public location such as a library or school.

I don't have a PC, I have a mac :3

Which is a PC

Why are you on Sup Forums?

So he can post in consumerist "battlestation" and spec-wank threads.

I wrote a login program on DOS that pretend to make it a multi-user system. So you'd get a comfy feeling logging into the system even though it was complete placebo.

not really, but battlestations/spec wanking has a lot more to do with technology than bitterly hating people for using it "for fun"

Nice PC.

You live in a house someone else built.
You wear the clothes someone else made
You eat the food someone else made/cultivated.

Not OP but
> No. Mostly built it by myself.
> Partially.
> No.

It is called "personal computer" because it is usually owned and it can be used by a single person and you don't need a team of 50 people to make it work, you idiot.

You're such a liar.

You're retarded.

but can it run Crysis

>> No. Mostly built it by myself.
with wood you didn't cut and materials you didn't make
>> Partially.
sure whatever this isn't really a stretch
>> No.
do you live on a farm? I find it doubtful anyone on this board is subsisting on a back yard garden

>Stupid kids and their stupid internet
>>>
You cant really complain about the internet when your using it

Your very angry about this
No, micro computers are something completely different
They're regular, modern computers (like the one that guy is using), but much smaller, hence the name micro computers. I guess you could say they're computers but micro sized

I can't complain about air pollution because I'm breathing?

You cant complain about air pollution whilst running 50 coal generators, no

>uses entirely software others have written
wrong
>and spends all his time connected to other computers
irrelevant
>in order to consume media someone else created
irrelevant

Also, it's a personal computer because you personally own it. You're probably too young to remember that computers used to be for universities and large companies only.

But that's not what you said.

Yes it is
Your analogy works if your writing to your pen pal about how shit the internet is
Your using the internet whilst complaining about people using it. Therefore, your part of your problem

>pick up telephone
>call phone service
>wish to complain
>"lol but ur using it fagt"

Oh I get it, so your problem is to do with the performance of your internet connection, not what the internet is
My advice is call up your ISP, complaining about internet users on Sup Forums wont fix that