Sup Forums approved ebook reader

What is the best ebook reader Sup Forums? Preferabley one that has/can have free software, or at least one that you can transfer ebooks to without an internet connection/ proprietary program.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ilHlXxXe24g
indiegogo.com/projects/13-3-inch-android-e-reader#/
mytolino.com/compare-tolino-ereader/
sites.google.com/site/gibekm/hardware/kobo/kobo-as-tablet
youtube.com/watch?v=8rkoHcJGo18
youtube.com/watch?v=34I27KPZM6g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kobo Glo HD.

If you need as free as possible, I believe the Barnes & Noble Nooks are running an ancient version of Android and the kernel source code is available.

Kindle is as fucking proprietary as it gets. It is the most proprietary bullshit reader available. You need to convert all your epub files and such into Amazon's proprietary mobi format. It's horrendous so stay the fuck away.

Kobo has really nice readers. You do not need to convert anything as it plays with pretty much everything out of the box. It is quite hackable and has free software available to it (CoolReader and such. Can even run Debian and some can run Android). So my vote goes for a Kobo device.

Is the Kobo Aura One any good? I like the size of the screen at 7.8".

Your mom likes the size of my dick at 7.8".

Yes, but it can be a pain to read manga if you're into that.

That's okay, I'm not huge on anime.
Aren't you supposed to be on

why don't you read a review by a cautious, research-led purchaser of technology.

You don't need internet connection to throw books on your Kindle. Lovin' the paperwhite gen 2, loved my original Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard as it's called now. The rest of the e-readers seemed kinda chintzy, especially that Barnes and Noble shit. Tbh get whatever you want, they're all pretty modifiable and take a direct PC connection out of the box.

broo there are .mobi converters all over the net, quick and free if you're too stupid to whip something up yourself. Not much extra trouble if you're already going through all the other hassles to steal some books that are free at your STD infested library anyway,

Android tablet of your choice with Kindle app.

No e-ink display, backlit screens are painful to read on for lengthy periods of time.

samefag amazon shill

I have a Kobo Aura One.
pros
>large 7.8" screen, 300 ppi carta (same pixel density as kindles)
>great screen uniformity
>ridiculously thin and light for its size
>waterproof
>adjustable natural light thingy (orange hue, kind of like f.lux)

cons
>epubs are a bit slower than kepubs, kindles are slightly more responsive
>a few software bugs, most fixed by now
>battery doesn't last as long as kindles and smaller Kobos (20 hours vs 30 hours), not a big deal though

I used to have a kindle, the only reason I liked it was the side buttons were very convenient because they were levers on he sides of the device, easily reachable by the thumb. Now the newer kindles have buttons that are on the face plate and are difficult to press when holding like a book.

Enjoy your headaches, normalshit.

Redpill me on the new Nook.

>Redpill
Kill yourself.

Chillax homie it's just a word.

It's retarded faggot ass Sup Forums shit that has fuck all to do with anything on this board.

Leave it on the retard board where it belongs.

>[current year]
>Nook
Oh come on. It's garbage, completely useless. As far as I know it doesn't even have external storage.

wow check out this guy

It's water proof so I would read in the tub is the main selling point. You got me on the storage but I think it can hold enough books for me.

Thanks for the info, I think this is what I'll be getting.

I'm pulling the trigger the second they get more in stock. The adjustable light is what sold me.

>falling for the e-kink meme

amazon is so full of fucking shills that it's a joke, WD has an entire battalion of them shitting up seagate products

I have a Nook Simple Touch from years ago, still good, just no night reading without light.

Ordered Fire HD 8. Anyone know if those anti-glare screens actually work?

I just want an android e-reader with e-ink. Recommendations?

Don't get anything with less than 2 years warranty, unless you expect to buy a new one every year. Those things break too quickly.

I have a Nook glo and I like it

Keep in mind that it's only good for reading ebooks, manga and certain comics. PDFs are very unresponsive. Overall a great ereader, though. Almost perfect if all you do is read books.

I fell for the e-ink meme and I would happily fall for it again
With a better refresh rate and a lower price, I would love a laptop with an e ink screen
I even considering buying this piece of shit, pic related

Oh fugg. I was hoping I could use it to read spooky pdfs. Well shit.

There really is no ereader that handles PDFs well unless you're willing to spend $500+ for a 13" reader with no frontlight. Kindles handle pdf slightly better than kobos, but 6" is way too small for any serious pdf reading.

So if I get the kobo, I sould convert my pdfs to epubs and then transfer them?

Yeah. It looks like actual paper. Very nice.

>converting pdf to epub
Good luck with that. 99% of the time you'll get terrible formatting with weird line breaks and missing words.
I can tell PDF reading is important to you in which case your better off getting a decent 10" tablet or just reading PDFs on your mobitor.

There are also 13" ereaders, but they're expensive, have low ppi and no frontlight.

>If you need as free as possible, I believe the Barnes & Noble Nooks are running an ancient version of Android and the kernel source code is available.
WHAT
WHAAAAT
So does that mean the entire OS of the Nook ST is free software at this point?
Where is the code?

Seriously what's the best option to read my PDF textbooks?

Is the latest paperwhite kindle the best option for reading my mongolian cave drawings?

Print them.

why? refresh rate too shitty cause of screen size?
ppi on ereaders is kinda shit for manga

300 ppi is more than enough for manga. iPads are 300-350 ppi.

no it's not unless you read trash scans
t. scanlator

I personally use a Nook ST that I rooted. I fill it full of epubs and pdfs and installed a note taker from Frdroid and I love it.

What do you read manga on other than actual paper? 300+ ppi non-tablet screens are extremely rare.
>inb4 phone

question about the aura one:
is it a big con that it doesn't have external storage?

>phone
that's even plebbier than a fucking ebook or a tablet, most of the shit i scanlate gets scanned at 600 dpi and should be read on a computer screen for maximum quality

>reading 600dpi manga on a 100-200 ppi monitor

who said i have a shitty monitor?
are you projecting or something, your tablet's screen is ten times worse than the shittiest monitor

I'm talking about pixel density, not color accuracy, you dumb weebshit faggot.
Unless you have a 5k 28-34" screen, 600dpi is a waste and would actually look better on an aura one or an iPad.

>600dpi is a waste and would actually look better on an aura one or an iPad.
hahahaha tablet cuck pls, it gets scanned at 600 and then resized to 300dpi
also no it wouldn't look better cause tablets can't into grays at all and crush all the tones and print patterns

This is the old Kindle HD 7, I'm sure newer models are just as good or better

youtube.com/watch?v=ilHlXxXe24g

I want to read PDFs and ebooks mostly (manga is a plus). What's the best option Sup Forumsentlemen?

Kobo. You can install Koreader which has the best PDF reading capabilities, period. It's open as well, you can access /proc/cpuinfo for instance

Great. Is Kobo Glo HD the best choice?

>Kobo Aura One
Water proof or water resistant?

bump

if pdf reading (for textbooks mainly) is questionable with current tech on the market, what's the best tablet to get instead? More importantly, how can I truly maximize the battery life? I literally just want basically an OS that can browse files and open pdfs, djvu, etc. for as long as possible

The guy that runs the Good E Reader blog has designed his own ereader and successfully crowdfunded it. It's a brilliant piece of work, sort of a MacBook of ereaders. But i believe it's worth the $$700

indiegogo.com/projects/13-3-inch-android-e-reader#/

pic related specs for the Good e-Reader 13.3

I was on the verge between Kindle PW and the Kobo Aura. For the same price the PW has a higher resolution screen. If you really only care about reading on the thing (as you should), the proprietary stuff doesn't concern you. You put airplane mode asap and start moving pirated books from Calibre. The other thing to consider is support. You can shill Rakuten all you want but Amazon, as jewish of a corp as it is, is known to quicky replace your devices for the smallest of defects. The only downside is that kindles don't support epub natively but converting to mobi/azw takes seconds. Also all readers are suboptimal for manga/comic reading. Get a fucking tablet for that.

>as jew as it gets
Stop shilling bro

Readers work fine for manga, but not for comics.
Black and white works fine on ereaders.

>Get a fucking tablet for that
Recommend me one please

holy shit this thing is crazy. I'd want better res maybe, better contrast, and more powerful hardware before I bought one. also going to need a sturdy ass case...

Kindles can read epubs if they're converted to the AZW3 container (no epub->mobi bullshit). Mobi it outdated shit these days, no need go use it unless that's the format you got it in.

Kobos are better overall though. Support for more formats right out of box, plus their kepub container enables some cool features.

stop being poor and use an ipad air 2 or pro 9.7

this is a fucking piece of shit which I immediately returned

I still use a gen 2 paperwhite, a-am I a pleb?

any eurofag that owns a Tolino?
the Vision HD line seems pretty nice

mytolino.com/compare-tolino-ereader/

> Nook
Theynsuck hard stay away
( I own a nook simple you and a kobo)
> Kobo
Sources are on GitHub very good reader
I got a kobo mini for about 40$ and it's very nice

>tablet fedora

Don't
It's not worth it
Your use cases is probably better served on any other device

get a tablet and a big powerbank

if you are going to read real books it's not
if you want to store b/w manga it's okay
if you want to store pdfs with pictures in it it's not
but hey, don't fucking ever read pdf's on a e-reader

Anyone know if I can visit Sup Forums on the 3g kindle for free?

Kobo supports pdfs.

It has internal expandable storage.
Probably, you would need to check but chances are like the other kobos the internal storage is also a microSD card.

Seriously, open up a kobo glo and there's another microSD slot inside.

Tablets, ereaders can't format pdfs well at all and will likely stay that way for a long time. If you read a lot of pdfs, monitors or tablets are your best choice

low IQ nigger

>nigger
>low IQ
redundant

>no one posting this
sites.google.com/site/gibekm/hardware/kobo/kobo-as-tablet
youtube.com/watch?v=8rkoHcJGo18
You can literally run native Debian (no chroot bullshit) on the Kobo Mini. It's the freeest BY FAR.

PDFs are definitely a bother, but this is kind of a meme if you're getting a Kobo.

It's fairly trivial to install KOReader, which while a little buggy lets you read stuff in landscape with paging, which makes everything readable on my Aura One and almost everything on my H2O.

KOReader also has a reflow feature that supposedly works pretty well, but I don't ever use.

any pdf i buy has epub options. most pdf i download has epub options. pdf support is no big deal for an ereader.

No. Although, I'd never be able to go back to 6". It's too small.

>almost the same resolution as 6" readers
Intothetrash.jpg

IPX8 rating (6ft of water for 60 minutes). This is pretty much the highest rating you'll find on tablets and smartphones. It's waterproof in the sense that you can keep it in shallow water forever. You don't ever have to worry about rain or dropping it in the toilet etc.

Is the slot functional?

Interested in this
has anyone done this on the Aura One?

I watched a couple of teardown and how-to vids. The onboard storage is using this slot: on the Glo HD, it's a 4GB microSD card. Pop the back off with a guitar pick, pull the card, image it onto PC, burn the image to a larger/faster/etc card, expand the partition, replace and reboot.

Thoughts on this?

Absolutely bonkers price though.

youtube.com/watch?v=34I27KPZM6g

>no frontlight
>low ppi
>ridiculously expensive
It's just like any other huge ereader.

I have one and it's great, reads books and comics easily and supports drag and drop

I just use my phone with FBReader and EPUBs.

>tiny LED screen
>white on gray
>a fucking phone

I agree with your other points, it does kinda suck reading on a phone screen, but what's wrong with white on gray? It's certainly better than black text on a white background.

What's the biggest size it supports?

Question. Can you put Amazon books into a Kobo? Seems a cool product, but I already have a big library there.