What does Sup Forums think of the XPS 15?

I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop this Christmas

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/laptops
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you using it for

I think you should buy a PC instead of this.

wow. they really shooped a screenshot onto that laptop. L M A O

Great high end laptop. There's a refresh rumored to be coming in January though.

It ships with malware

you really think op is keeping win10
this is Sup Forums

Doesn't change the fact that you're paying for botnet malware

system76.com/laptops
Legit though I've heard these are good.

breddy gud.

no

Wonder what GPU the refresh will have, a 1050 or 1060?

It's a poor man's MacBook Pro desu familia

Breddy good, wait for the kabylake/nvidia 10xx refresh.

Except the only thing that it's worse than a mac on this it's either the screen if you get the 1080p, or the battery life if you get 4k. All the rest it's better AND it has more than 1 type of port.

my colleague is going for an XPS 15 over a Macbook Pro 15" even though he is currently an Apple user. 2014 MBP 15" is better than the 2016

How's the trackpad ?
Can you hackintosh ? If yes how's the battery life

>trackpad
>wanting MacOS

Might as well buy the developer edition

There is no 15" developer edition. It goes straight from XPS13 to Precision.

either would be fucking amazing

It won't be a 1060, the TDP is too high for the same form factor.
It could be a TDP-down configured 1050 or 1050Ti, but my guess is that a Polaris variant would be more appropriate.

>Except the only thing that it's worse than a mac on this it's either the screen if you get the 1080p

Except the 1080 is matte so infinitely superior to the mac's glossy crap.

So, a "non pro" 460 mobile is likely?

I hate you and people like. Using a mouse on a laptop should be considered a felony.

You clearly never compared a mac and an xps side by side in any indoor light conditions.
The xps has that blue tint that every other windows laptop has, the mac is much more appealing.
But that's just a detail, if you don't need 100% color accuracy you'll hardly ever notice

It's top tier. The only real problem with it is that Dell's website sucks and some of the configuration stuff is completely nonsensical.

I just got a pretty much fully decked out one with the 1080p screen and the larger (84 WHR) battery with their Cyber Monday/Black Friday online sale. The main configuration bullshit is that every single 1080p option has a smaller battery unless you get a version with a large SSD and an i7, but the sale made that okay for me whereas it wouldn't normally be.

I'd say this is easily the best 15 inch laptop in its price bracket. The soft touch carbon fiber feels amazing when you're typing, too, which I was a huge fan of after so long with aluminum.

Finally, note that no one knows exactly when the Kaby Lake refresh will come. January would appear logical, but literally no one knows and if you try to ask representatives will all give you difference answers. I'd honestly think that March is more likely. The thing is, though, Kaby Lake is only a huge difference if you do 4K video, which doesn't matter if you have the 1080p screen; otherwise the processing upgrade is negligible. The only reason to truly wait is the possible graphics card upgrade, but I'm not sure you'd really want to go with the XPS if you wanted to run lots of games. So if you need it, now is a fine time to get it, but if it's just an idle upgrade, yeah, sure, you might as well wait if you're okay for like 3 months.

laptop with no dedicated gpu, it just has a shit moble i5,
just buy a god damn tablet, its literally the same.
people always get suckered into buying fucking trash

The 15 has a dedicated GPU and a mobile quad-core that will crush any tablet or regular ultrabook unless you get the absolutely retarded bottom version with an i3. You're a fucking idiot.

Would be 10x better without that retarded Dell logo on the bottom of the screen and 16:10

get a latitude 7xxx instead, you'll regret the xps

It's better then the apple logo and most others tho

It is fucking awesome, my brother's gf bought one a couple of months ago and it rocks.

ugly and thick

>full voltage quad core
>thunderbolt 3
ur dum

This, the TDP of the 1060 is far too high. Even the 1050 is pushing it a bit.

Regardless the 1050 is a huge step up from the 960m.

I hope they throw in a 1050, would make this computer very practical for LANs and whatnot, especially if you buy the 1080p version

nice blog, pajeet.

>what is a calibrator

won't help much since only macOS is fully color-managed.
for Win/Linux every program is on their own and does something slightly different.

>for Win/Linux every program is on their own and does something slightly different.
most programs do nothing since they are not color-aware.

don't think there's any browser on Win that does the right thing for iphone's new p3 pictures.

That bezel ticks me off

As someone who owns a Skylake XPS15 (4k/i7/dGPU), its an alright laptop. Battery life is pretty good. Webcam has shit placement.

There's still current TB3/USB-C issues (with docks), and at first I had some issues with stability in windows when booting off NVMe drives in AHCI.

DESU if dell finally sorts out the issues in KabyLake versions, it's probably one of the better/best premium windows laptops.

>inb4 'thanks for the blog, pajeet'

Thanks for the blog Michael Dell.

Lenovo

I've got a 7xxx latitude as that's what they gave to me at work and my only complaint is that it's real fucking heavy. And that doesn't really matter as it sits in a dock 99% of the time.

Ugly, thick, too big. I'd rather get the XPS 13 but the keyboard is too crammed.

I bought a MBP instead

get MacBook Pro. It has Touchbar.

fucking clunky and ugly as shit

I'm using the XPS 13 Kaby Lake with the 1080p screen, got the dev edition and put Debian Stretch on it, it works like a charm.

are you a woman or a faggot?

shitty computer
too expensive for what you get

I will when they jump to the next get nvidia chips.

Won't they announce a new one at CES 2017 ? I'd wait if I were you

Shit build quality don't buy one

Anyone know what's the best gaming laptop for £500?

Can't buy a desktop, even though I would love too. I travel away every week so need something mobile.

5GB/s bottleneck compared to 16GB/s @ PCIe 3.0 x16

Order it from the Microsoft Store if they carry it.

Take it back.

Just checked, but the configuration options are even more limited and it definitely can't match the price I got.

>the price I got
Please tell me you didn't get it from Worst Buy.

Fuck no. Straight from Dell with their Cyber Monday/Black Friday deal. These kind of laptops rarely go on very much of a sale so it was about as good as I'd be able to get, especially since I was able to snag the rare 1080p and bigger battery (84WHR) configuration.

Yeah I was going to get one. Not that one but they had a decent Inspiron on sale.

It was 10% off for me and a free support upgrade. Pretty good. Made it so that the upgrades I had to do to get the bigger battery version were okay whereas normally it felt like too much.

not caring about how a trackpad works on a laptop is like not caring about how a touchscreen works on a smartphone

M8, depending on the gaming you do, I would get a surface pro 3-4 and emulate games. Idk what your dumb currency is, but for under 800 USD you can grab a new surface pro 3 or 4 from amazon with 8 gigs ram.

>surface pro 3 or 4
>for gaming

Might as well put Steam on my fucking LG G Pad X 8.0 and run some games with that logic.

This.

You get the best of both worlds, can Bootcamp a Win 10 machine with decent fps on the games and you have a great MacOS machine for anything you like there and you get touchbar which helps because your brain will get mushy going inbetween OS's so why not have that little helper there.

that's only the lowest end model

a little more gets you a 960m

> my reading sucks

I said emulate games, like old console games?

Yeah I get that but that gets boring after a while and I can buy one of those cheapy systems that allows me to play the old stuff.