What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>Who is best super hero?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links and info:
For the sake of work, you are allowed to use a name. Just don't
make yourself look like a dumb ass and make me regret saying
that.

If you need help, you can use Clyp.it if you wish to stay user.

If this thread is ded you are welcomed to Nexus, A discord
server specifically made around Sup Forums. If link is bork,
please message the thread. There is a DAW General chat here:

discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O

[NOTE: THIS LINK SHOULD REMAIN VALID THROUGHOUT THE ARCHIVES.]

If you have a good tutorial from youtube, post it, next Gen,
I'l begin a list and make a playlist:
youtube.com/watch?v=of7LXoom3dk&list=PLGYoE903Nir5I5A8IBNVV0euTUuKcpq7Y
youtube.com/channel/UCchjpg1aaY91WubqAYRcNsg
if you're interested more of the production.

Other urls found in this thread:

elitegamingcomputers.com/stop-dont-buy-alienware-computers-build-your-own-gaming-computer-instead/
atarimagazines.com/startv3n4/steinbergmidipower.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>Who is best super hero?
What is best coffee?

selfish bump

This reminds me of the weird arrogant tards that put a huge author header in every file they create, literally 20 commented lines and 2 lines of code.

I gotta lmao@(you)'re life for typing this and expecting responses on Sup Forums.

Now fuck off

It depends on the time of day. Sometimes we get some decent amt of people here and sometimes not. I do this thread once a week to help people out, like /prod/

However user, if you don't like my thread, you literally do not need to post in it.

DAWs do not need a fucking general, my man.
go back to your frootyloopy stoodio

If you don't like it leave. I've been doing this general for months, if not almost a year. Some people come some people don't.

I'm look to spend around £1000 on a daw setup, laptop, headphones and a midi keyboar.

Would anyone have any recommendations? Would really appreciate it.

Is this daw?

don't get alienware. Just build something awesome that works, I hear a lot of people are using intel right now.

As for headphones, I want to get a pair of Mofi Blu headphones.

that is a lot of daw

Any renoise users? I've been using it for the past few months and it's comfy and easy as fuck once you get used to the tracker. I like that it doesn't come with a ton of synthesizers so it encourages making original sounds.

Been using my microbrute for synths.

Why not Alienware? Is it just overpriced? I know a desktop would be better for a daw setup but I do a lot of travelling so need something more mobile.

I tried some Bose headphones today and they sounded amazing. But again, I'm guessing they are just overpriced. I would like some decent blue tooth headphones that are also good for making music.

most if not all name brand headphones are very much over priced. A lot of the good shit is stuff you've never heard of. The shit that is priced at 500+ because it's actually worth it

elitegamingcomputers.com/stop-dont-buy-alienware-computers-build-your-own-gaming-computer-instead/

See that.

You honestly don't need anything expensive to run a daw. I use a $130 ThinkPad on the go and it runs perfectly if you adjust the buffer length.

I would go with a cheap laptop, pair of etynomic er4's, and one of those condensed piano pad nob all in one midi controllers. Would only cost you about $600.

this. I had an old cash register by dell. The OS crashed so I thru on mint. Somehow, FL worked better in Mint then Windows 7. I don't know how, but Wine is configured better than windows itself, which I do not get

Because it doesn't have all that bloat and Spyware. I run renoise on lubuntu and I never get overloads.

I miss using Sylnth. I can't get Alieno to work right.

Isn't Lubuntu REALLY laid back and easy to use?

I know, I miss that vst so much. I used that and sq8l on literally every song.

Yeah lubuntu is super lightweight and perfect for laptops. You can save a lot of power by using it and even more if you configure tlp on it. Only draw back is no search function but it's fine if you pin your most used applications to the start menu.

Ever have a VST just straight up crash on you for no reason?
>Load Alieno
>shows the outline
>FL closes
>no error message
>No nothing
it's not even a program you have to crack either. its free

The only time I had a vst fuck my shit up is omnisphere. I don't know why but it would just lag my computer out and make it crash. Also if I had to many omnispheres going it would make horrible noises.

The thing is I don't mind splashing out for a laptop that will run games fairly smoothly too. And just not struggle with any kinda editing/processing I want to do.

My last laptop is about 6/7 years old and about catches fire when I play GoPro footage.. guess I can't really compare it since anything modern that's came out. Just shows I have no clue these days :(

Thanks for the advice on headphones and midi. Do you have any input on cubase?

This
This
No you haven't, and it's not a general
Download VSTs, nothing should "come with a bunch of synthesizers" imo. I personally thinks it's autistic as trackers come but it's god-tier for sample editing, I link it to Ableton
Renoise runs natively on Linux tho

Too many questions m8

I use Ableton Live for almost everything.
My setup consists on a t410 ($100), an old m-audio mobilepre ($30) and a 1st gen Launchpad with the launchpad95 script that I traded for some shitty vinyls to a dadrock enthusiast

Everything just works like a charm, i have several proyects, from dark-ambient to noise-rock
Right now i'm just goofing around with some old midi ringtone pack from 2000, it has like 5000 hits all ready to be destroyed. So far I only made a synthpop version of that awfull Creed ballad and a industrial one of Voule-Vouz

Should be doing something more productive, I guess

I've been lurking Sup Forums for almost a year now, I remember you posting your autistic text wall once, 2 months ago, then the thread died shortly after

Daws probably come packed with a shit ton of vsts to make it more expensive and artificially feel like you're getting more for your money. If FL studio just came with sytrus and it's many mixer effects and eq it would be perfect.

But they went full autism.

Also agreed, chopping up drum samples in renoise is so easy. I love that when you slice it up it automatically maps it to a key. Made song yesterday with lots of chopped up samples and it was so easy compared to the other Daws I've tried doing it in.

you can just not use them, I've got 70GB of Ableton I've never touched

I don't really see the problem with it being on Sup Forums. It's technology related and there's lots of discussion to be had with daws.

But then this makes the download size unnecessarily big.

I wouldn't want that on my laptop that is limited in space.

Me neither, I see the problem with OP being on Sup Forums though, and OP posting, and then lying to make his "general" seem like it has more merit than some shithead posting 40 lines of trash and saying its a regular thing, we all know Sup Forums is completely useless for anything, but that's completely irrelevant
sage

Delete the preloaded VST folder it's the default folder in abletons "instrument" file branch
Or download the version with less stuff, I just got the 80Gb Ableton suite thing because I trust the uploader

What DAW(s) just werk(s) on Linux (and what distros it supports)?

Not many, and the only ones that do that are worth a shit are trackers (very autistic spreadsheet daws)

Renoise, and anything that supports Linux will run on any distro.

Bitwig works natively in linux
some ppl like it more than Live, but i just couldnt stand it's workflow (ableton spoiled me) so I keep a bare win7 partition with almost nothing installed except Live, Sound Forge and other stuff I need

btw, unless you configure everything properly and go balls deep into loonix expect some extreme clipping/latency even with small proyects and a dedicated and supported interface

You can install jack quickly, it doesn't really take that much configuration.

>latency
Linux doesn't even have some ASIO clone?
damn I would've thought latency would be the one non-issue with linux

yeah, but pulseaudio always gets in the way and sooner or later you will need to open alsamixer, among oter things

not that it is hard, but for someone who´s a linux virgin it might be overwhelming. specially with external audio interfaces

LMMS is a surprisingly good FL clone, although it's not as conplete feature-wise - still very usable though

Renoise is a fucking awesome VST compatible tracker, but not FLOSS - has a free trial though, just cant render your tracks

Thats all I really use, except Audacity for editing audio. Most of my music making these days is gameboy chiptune with LSDJ, and even then I spend more effort making hardware than actually finishing tracks :/

Like I said, just use jack. I have 4ms latency and I don't get overloads no matter how many instruments I have going.

If you just use alsa you'll get horrible latency.

before I had a good audio interface I used debian compiled with a low-latency kernel and other tweaks and was able plug in my guitar to my onboard soundcard and use some amplitube type fx with minor latency, of course if I opened firefox it would fuck everything. but it was the closest I could get and was better than windows with asio4all

but that was back in the pre-pulseaudio/vista days, win drivers got better and linux got worse

JACK is the shit thou

I suppose that's true. When I first was setting up audio mixers it was confusing as fuck but after a few hours and patience I got it figured out.

I have way too much patience so that never stopped me.

LMMS is a joke, you might enjoy it until it shuts itself down because fuck you and loses everything you made

you can use the trial versions of Renoise and Bitwig, route the audio to Audacity via JACK and use it to export your tracks on the trial versions, but you can just pirate Bitwig at this point

LMMS has never randomly closed on me, and I run it on a shitty T400 Thinkpad.

No, I do use FL.

Again, I've been here for almost a year, you just happen to miss me when I make a thread. Either stop being a dick or leave.

it's on and off and things happen. I admit, it's a short lived thread and it stays here and there, that's why I make it maybe once a week.

The issue is that when it comes to audio, the only thing Sup Forums can REALLY talk about is the equipment, they can't really make music, that's why I link this to Sup Forums. I don't get why you hate it so much. It's not like it's affecting your life at all

LMMS is Ableton's and FL's little autistic brother.
FL for some reason works on Linux and I don't know why. It just werks in Wine

ya know, mint doesn't have an issue with that.

you dont really need it.

No I'm a straight nolifer, you haven't been making this nearly enough to be a bad meme, let alone a Sup Forums general what the fuck are you aiming for? You're gonna get people bashing on FL and shilling LMMS, what did you expect?
Also somebody clearly has latency issues on linux because that's what the reply was linked to
And I dont hate the thread nor the topic, just you

>another textwall
>nothing that was actually worth posting
>again
Don't forget to sage

it will, sooner or later it will
learned this the hard way, thought it was only my setup but it's a pretty common issue.
just use FL studio with Wine, you get the real thing and it works just fine

there are two things I will never forgive freetards for killing, one is Lilo (ok, maybe the dev abandoned it, but it was perfect) the other was OSS, it almost came back at some point and OSS4 was incredibly stable and latency-free, but since by that point all distros moved to the shitfest that was Alsa that sucked so bad it needed another shitfest like pulseaudio to get the job done, and OSS was left to die before it could even get MIDI
sad story

it varies on the people. Most people who join and talk, talk about vst's and what sys they use for it and ask technical question.

Why do you hate me user?

Why do you hate the idea of a general? You're hating something that is on the internet that has no affect on you. There are wose generals than mine, who cares.

k

Just ignore them. The threads doing well.

thanks

Started using FL in '98. Used to have email exchanges with one of the original developers (Diddier?). It was a simple drum machine back then, nothing more.

I've moved to a hardware rig over the years. I have a Moog Sub37 and a Doepfer Dark Energy and a bunch of Moogerfooger pedals. If I use VSTi it's mostly sample based stuff like BFD and Omnisphere.

I still use 2 Korg Oasys PCI cards in Win98 boxes, alongside SW1000XG cards, with PLG150s (one a DX, the other an AN).

>98
Fuck, I did not know it was that old. I thought FL started here in the 2ks...

Who are you posting textwalls to?

mean to be for this dude, but I must've backed up and not realized.

If you think that's a textwall, you've clearly never seen a discussion thread have you.

Fruity Loops and an Akai Mini

FL is very old.

so i realized

>alienware
>bose
2016 Sup Forums for you

I was using Fruity Loops on a Pentium MMX 200Mhz, with 32meg RAM, 3Gig HD. My soundcard was an Echo Gina20 (still have it).

Back in 98?

Yep.

I upgraded a year later to a Pentium3 400Mhz, with 128meg RAM, 12Gig HD and a 3Dfx graphics card.

Shit was so cache.

You'd be surprised how old a lot of the popular DAW's are. I think Ableton dates back to late 90's too.

I figured a lot of DAWs did, Ableton makes the most sense. I wonder what those first DAWs were like and how hard they were to record on. I figured till we had those it was all just recording to something like a record/cassette tape

I was using Cubase on the Atari ST in 1988. It was called Steinberg/Jones software back then.

> I wonder what those first DAWs were lik

Just midi sequencers. All recording was to tape.

Shit, how old is Steinburg?
>88
you gotta be in your late 30s

>you gotta be in your late 30s

I was only 14 in 88.

desu, I would of never thought I'd see someone in their 40's on Sup Forums
(no offense dude)

None taken

You'd be surprised how old some of the oldfags are.

actually, ableton appeared in the early 2000s and it was a godsend

before that Reason was the shit but FL has been there forever

>tfw recording your first demo in a 486 on cool edit
being a teen in the 90s was fun

Here're the first Atari versions of Cubase:

atarimagazines.com/startv3n4/steinbergmidipower.html

It's so easy making music for young people now. All my friends picked up FL in just a few weeks and were making full songs.

I'm 19, I wish I could go back in time and see how far music production has gone.

Come* not gone

back then, all your friends would be playing with you in a band instead of makings songs by themselves

man, times have changed,

we just used cool edit to record and it was just one or two takes since no multitracking yet (you needed Cakewalk for that and it was hell back then), and you couldn't fucking undo,
sure there was better stuff but we where bored dumb teens using a borrowed 486

btw, 38 here

I'm a pleb here for the wiki, tell me where i'm going wrong, if Iam.

>FL Studio 11

>6 years

>7 years

>started as hip hop (east coast "boom bap") but now it's metal/rock/whatever I can do with guitars, drums bass

>hip hop

>Yeah, I know the FL workflow very well so I'm reluctant. Haven't had a reason to try another DAW really.

>Sylenth1, have pirated and used a lot of the big daddy synths but dont' see a point in most of it. I'm no good at sound design though so just tweaking knobs of presets is basically all I do lmao.

>As a hobby. Have no desire to try to make any living or anything off it.

That's very true. The new thing that people are doing is making trap beats and having their friends rap on it.

Right now I'm helping my friend with recording the vocals and making the beats. What we do is take turns on specific instruments and it becomes a fusion of our styles. He does the hats, I do the 808's, he does the snares, etc.

It's very different and not as live and exciting as being in a band. But it's still fun and creative to do.

Times have very much changed.