/BSD/ thread

# encrypt "pssh, nothin personnel, kid" >> /etc/passwd edition

OpenBSD-centric, others welcome, Macs tolerated. No tripfags please, specifically the "be awesome" newb.

IRC: #boat @ rizon
Web: undeadly.org

News: Smartisan donated $100k+ to OBSD and all they got was this stupid shoutout

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/current.html
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/doas/doas.c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not beawesome but it's pathetic how you have to point him out because you know you have no argument against what he says which are flagrantly serious problems with BSD. These threads are circlejerks. BSDrones are so interesting to me because they're probably very intelligent but they are so viciously quick to censor information.

cuck license tho

FreeBSD good for a web and email server?

He doesn't say anything worth replying to, it's not a Linux vs. BSD thread, nobody gives a shit.

Just go to your local BSD User Group rambling about systemd and see how interested people are.

Eh, enforcing the GPL costs money. Nothin personnel, kid.

Yeah, FreeBSD is good and all the packages are available in ports (not sure what's in FBSD base, but OBSD has OpenSMTPD and httpd).

If you have moving parts like PHP and SQL, you should check up on properly configuring jails. This has tripped me up on OBSD using chrooted servers before.

I still count myself as Linux newb. Using Mint 18 atm.
Will I be okay if I try BSD? Does it run fine in VirtualBox?

Yeah, start with a virtual machine. OBSD and FBSD both boot into a text console, which tends to freak people out.

I'm actually serving multiple protocols through OBSD VMs in VirtualBox, runs totally fine and really fast. You can use the virtual network adapter vio0.

Keep a browser window open with man.openbsd.org loaded while you play around, and develop the habit of checking man pages FIRST.

bump

Got it, thanks.

dont feed the anti-bsd troll

:)

he got so desperate that there were no threads that he made an account on reddit to shitpost

Has anyone started porting systemd to OpenBSD? I love the OS, but the init system is so archaic it's painful.

After work bump. Yeah this is the 2nd in 2 days, sorry. Usually they're monthly or less, other people make them too, I have no pasta because lazy.

Nice troll. Pasting my /etc/rc.conf.local file so you can see how easy it is:

$OpenBSD: rc.conf,v 1.212 2016/10/06 20:20:41 reyk Exp $

# Set these variables to "NO" to turn the respective service off.
# Set them to "" to run them with the default flags.
# Otherwise, these variables override the default flags.
apmd_flags=-A
hotplugd_flags=NO
vmd_flags=NO

# Multicast routing configuration
# Please look at netstart(8) for a detailed description if you change these
multicast=YES # Reject IPv4 multicast packets by default

# rc.d(8) packages scripts
# started in the specified order and stopped in reverse order
pkg_scripts=mpd

the unified config parser for in-house projects (vmd, doas, httpd, pf) is really nice too

i literally don't understand how anyone could complain about openbsd's init system

the only complaint i used to have was that it was slow, but it got way better lately, i don't know what they did but it's blazing fast now

He's pointed out because he shits up every BSD related thread he can find.

That was actually a huge laptop turn-off for years for me, that it took a fucking half-minute to boot. Now it's still longer than Debian but way more tolerable.

so? maybe he's actually right. linux actually has contributors, I remember for years people saying "I'd switch if I could only get netflix" and then somebody made it work. bsd hasn't changed in over 15 years.

try actually coming up with responses to him instead of calling him out in advance like that makes any difference. but you can't and this is why bsd is only limited to shitty bbs and reddit echo chambers with 10 people max in them

>bsd hasn't changed in over 15 years.
guess i must have imagined freebsd getting ZFS support

It isn't my fault I can't help myself.
The shit some of you guys say to promote BSD is super strong bait.

OpenBSD gets leaner every release and it changes faster than most operating systems. Run -current for one year and you'll see.

openbsd.org/faq/current.html

None of that stuff about Reddit users porting Netflix matters, everything happens on the tech@ mailing list, at hackathons, and the core developer's jobs.

>OpenBSD gets leaner every release
Isn't that just because its too hard to maintain current ports so they end up disabling shit?

beawesome is always right.

you forgot your trip

We see sudo taking up 10,000 SLOC and say, "Let's do it in 100"

cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/doas/doas.c

He was here since the beginning

Naw, I got here during the chanology shit.
:3

I meant But thanks for revealing your newfag level. Nothin personnel, kid

>enjoying the fish with niggerlips

>thinking an anthropomorphic pufferfish named Puffy shouldn't have puffy lips

Puff Daddy is a homosexual and is the inspiration for the logo.

OpenBSD's logo is based on a homosexual black rapper.

What a surprise, the tripfaggot that's afraid of girls is obsessed with a gay nigger.