Pentest career advice?

Hey Sup Forums,18 y.o. High school fag here, so I've been interesting in a pen testing career for a while and I had been using my schools network as a testbed to practice and learn related concepts.

Eventually this led me to discover a vulnerable domain controller where there was open access to the SYSVOL share which contains active directory credentials. I brought it to the attention of the tech staff and they deemed it serious enough to have a meeting between me, the tech staff and the school administration.

I honestly expected to possibly get into some deep shit but instead they offered me an internship for the remainder of the year, and they also said they want to hire me right out of high school.

So I was wondering if any of you had any experience with that sort of career, or if anyone in general had any advice for pursuing this career.

What should I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/1118063333/ref=dp_ob_image_bk
ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/hack/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take the opportunity, apply yourself, and learn as much as you can. Dont sperg out. Ask about tuition reimbursement for college once you are hired.

>about to fall for the cybersecurity meme

You still need to go to college, and whatever you do don't major in cybersecurity for your undergrad; it's a fucking meme.

Other than that, congrats on the job user, take it.

What do you suggest I major in?

how do you even get into pen testing?

You need to be an autist to start and you will have to accept the life style of a monk to continue.

Basically there is a huge rat race to be the first to find the next big thing and brand it with logo and a dedicated web site, all to attest to your skills. And then you start again. And again.

So ask yourself: do you wish to do that until you retire at the age of 75?

>download metasploit
>???
>profit!

this ^ and also this
take the job 100%

major in a computer field thay interests you

look into salary, lifestyle and the job descriptions on sites describing needed degree

good luck op

Computer Science or Computer Engineering

Any successful ethical hacker will tell you that the best pentesters are the guys that learned how a computer actually works. The "art of hacking" is simply finding a way to break shit, because you understand the system better than the guy who designed it. The easiest way to do that is to know how the computer operates/thinks at a low level.
I'm in my Junior year of college and I have a better shot at a cyber-sec intership with the NSA/private contractor than the spergs who are in the red team club at my university because these idiots just learned how to boot kali linux and use tools, but have no concept of what's going on under the hood.

After a certain point, you will assume you know so much. This will happen %100, so try to keep that period of time as low as possible and make yourself realize that you actually haven't even started.

Learn how the systems work. Don't try to learn the tools, try to learn the concepts. Tools are only there to help with the repetitive tasks, they are not the goal.

But before all, learn proper C and OS and write one for yourself (not one of those OS which prints "hello, world!")

Be comfortable with *nix systems at least to the degree where you can work as an entry level sysadmin easily.

I'm also a high school student looking into computer science as a career.

The technical college near me has two programs, Network Administrator, and System Administrator. Could any of you explain the differences between the two to me?

>Network Administrator
Plugging and unplugging routers

>Systems Administrator
Start installation batch jobs

You should find a college that actually offers Computer Science as a singular option

What's a good way to introduce myself to information or well written guides in order to learn about kernel/systemd processes? Electrical Engineering here, focus on software

Those are two different topics really.
I wouldn't necessarily put a slash between them.
Start here: amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/1118063333/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

Don't be intimidated, it's not as dense of a read as you would think.

Is there a big reason as to why I should do this?
or do you mean a program from a college that encompasses both?

What about Tanenbaum's book on operating systems?

Also OP, here's some good resources
ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/hack/index.html

Tanenbaum is good too. I'd say tanenbaum is better but only by a slight edge; and that's only because my professor has religiously preached it.

Basically you need to know everything if you want to be good. Your life will be constantly learning new things in order to better yourself, but to be very general in what you should know, learn how to program, learn networking, and learn about operating systems. Those are what I would consider the fundamentals. You can go super deep into any of those single topics but I would learn them all broadly first.

Be honest OP. Did you look up the exploits?

Kill yourself?

>dinobook
mynigga.jpg

HELLO MY PRETTY

Is it good for beginners in the subject of how computers work at a systematic level?

If not, which book would be a good prequel to Tanenbaum's book?

Operating Systems Resources:
Beginner:
Advanced: Tanenbaum's Modern Operating Systems

Networking Resources:
Beginner:
Advanced: Tanenbaum's Computer Networks

Basically, I need to fill in the gaps.

You should get an internship at a large ballpoint company like Bic, then get into unique and special-purpose pens before semi-retiring in the antique writing instruments industry

>Hey Sup Forums,18 y.o. High school fag here,
And I'm a 13-year old schoolgirl.

I'm a girl btw ;)

This. I recommend CE rather CS. It's "broader" and gets more into hardware which is a nice touch even if you later decide to go full software because you will have a better understanding of how computers really work.

I'd say they're two independent beasts.
I would argue that CE is better for those who lean further to natural sciences, and CS is more for the students that are into mathematics/philosophy.

Fair enough.

most security IT people don't do that. They basically audit corporate networks with vulnerability test, pen test, social engineering and also work with security policies.

Bump

be me
>bachelor of comp sci
>2 years networking helpdesk solving consumer problems with adsl+wireless routers
>get hired as "junior pentester"
>get told I was hired for my soft skills (presentation, report writing, conference calls, etc)
>hold job for 4 years by faking it, rtfm, late nights, no social, etc
>become ok with tools of trade, backtrack, burp, appscan, encase
>knoweldge-is-milewide-inchdeep.dd

>quit job cause mental health declining
>travel for two years
>work in adult store for three years
>quit job cause mental health declining

now I want to start working in information tech again, I did really enjoy infosec, but im worried on two fronts
1. my long break has eroded my knoweldge and skills too much
2. I will end up hating job/self/life again

I see my options as,
>return to help desk roots and work up till comfy
>blitz all reading/sandboxing/interviews to try and reinsert near where i left
>get a sales or manager role

Wot do /g?