Bought a new hard drive on Black Friday

>Bought a new hard drive on Black Friday
>Finally arrived at my house today
>Did a SMART self-test
>Every attribute is pre-fail or old age but the overall assessment says the "disk is okay"

Should I be worried?

Other urls found in this thread:

ma.juii.net/blog/interpret-smart-attributes
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Partially answered my own question

Seagate uses proprietary firmware fuckery so Gnome-Disks is unable to get perfectly accurate results

I guess I should ignore everything else and only focus on the overall assessment?

Download seatools and check if you can run it under wine.

Type just means what type a given value is (e.g.: read error rate -> pre-fail means that value for this will indicate a failure or that a drive might fail soon).

Also:
Type: The type of the attribute. Either “Pre-fail” for attributes that are said to indicate impending failure, or “Old_age” for attributes that just indicate wear and tear. Note that one and the same attribute can be classified as “Pre-fail” by one manufacturer or for one model and as “Old_age” by another or for another model. This is the case for example for attribute Seek_Error_Rate (ID 7), which is a widespread phenomenon on many disks and not considered critical by some manufacturers, but Seagate has it as “Pre-fail”.

sauce: ma.juii.net/blog/interpret-smart-attributes

check this too wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T.

>Seagate SSDs just as shitty as their HDs

Seagate failure rates have gotten lower than WD. WD are much higher than used to be.

I ran it on a Windows VM and everything came back ok

Fucking Stallman was right again

You think thats bad my brand new 850 evo thats i just got yesterday will apparently only last until 2025 according to ssdlife. Thought this shit would last my whole life?

>Seagate

Why am I not surprised.

Here's mine...

FUCK YOU OP! Now I'm scared as well :(((

$0.02 has been deposited into your Seagate Data Recovery fund.

>You think thats bad my brand new 850 evo thats i just got yesterday will apparently only last until 2025 according to ssdlife. Thought this shit would last my whole life?
If you run Chrome or FF, it will last much, MUCH less than 2025. Expect 5 years max.

fuck no, all consumer garbage you buy now has a set fail time, it's probably only gonna last 5 years of heavy use

>I listed to a nobody website and I think we're still usign 2009 SSD controllers

If a stress test can run a 24/7 hard write to an Evo 850 for several years and pass over 6 PB of writes before failure, no browser is going to kill an SSD in 5 years.

>1tb WD Black
>$60

>3tb Seagate BarraCuda
>$100

I'd take the risk 2bh

FML my ram stick are half their expected speed and I dont know how to over clock.

Pre-Fail just means that THE ATTRIBUTE IN QUESTION signifies pre-fail.

send it back. amazon is great with returns

>samsung
>last your whole life

HAHAHAHA

Holy shit user, that was a good one.

But it WILL last his whole life. by ending it prematurely when it explodes his computer.

Stallman said linux is shit compared to Windows?

If you ever think that your hard drive is having any issues at all, run gsmart control. It scans SMART and it has a full disk scan that is much more in depth than just SMART. I had a WD that passed SMART and had no failed attributes, but the long tests either completed with errors or didn't finish at all. You can run gsmart as a program or run Parted Magic live and it has a gsmart utility.